Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Coach Rod

Post by ANGCatFan »

I figured it was about time he got his own thread. The original OKG.

Even on vacation Rich Rod is promoting Arizona and PAC 12 football to Fox Sports.
"I think right now the Pac-12 is in the best place it's ever been," said Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez, who spoke at the Arians Family Foundation Georgia Celebrity Golf Classic in Greensboro, Ga. "There's more money being spent on the programs than there's ever been before, whether it's TV money or not.

Everybody has gotten better, and we have to. There's a lot of commitment being made to big-time college football. And as a league you're going to see the results of that in the fall."

Did Florida State's win on Jan. 6 open the door enough? Will that be the catalyst that sparks a shift in power?

"It's starting to," said Rodriguez, who believes everyone is still chasing the SEC, but the disparity isn't as great as it once was. "Not only Florida State's win, but I think some of the other bowl results, and some of the other things that happened throughout the country. The SEC has set the standard, certainly. With the type of football they play and the type of athletes that come out. But I would put us right now, with the Pac-12, I'd put us with just about anybody as far as our quality of league from top to bottom."

One of the benefits SEC schools have is that they're close to the recruiting hot beds of Florida, Texas, Georgia and the rest of the South. As you can see from the rankings, that advantage has been utilized fully. Rodriguez said he recruits the South heavily, but it's not easy to get Southern recruits to trek too far away from home.

"If we can get guys to visit, that's the key," Rodriguez said. "If we can get guys from this area (the South) to come out to the desert in Tucson, we've got a great shot to get them. And once we do that, it'll be a pipeline that keeps coming out West."
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jollything

Re: Rich Rod

Post by jollything »

I believe if we get another 8 win season, it would be the first time we have had 3 seasons with at least 8 wins in a row since the 70's. Jim Young (73, 74, 75) did that in the WAC according to wikipedia.

If he stays he may be the best coach we have ever had.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

jollything wrote:I believe if we get another 8 win season, it would be the first time we have had 3 seasons with at least 8 wins in a row since the 70's. Jim Young (73, 74, 75) did that in the WAC according to wikipedia.

Larry Smith had 2 7 win seasons followed by 8 and 9 win seasons.

If Arizona wasn't on probation and bowl inelible those years due to Jim Young then Smith may have had 3 or 4 8 win seasons in a row.

Smith was destined for the Rose Bowl with Arizona until USC came calling and Smith took the redeye out of Tucson as fast as he could.

I don't see RR getting Arizona to the Rose Bowl any time soon. Just to much competition now in the PAC.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:

If Arizona wasn't on probation and bowl inelible those years due to Jim Young then Smith may have had 3 or 4 8 win seasons in a row.

Smith was destined for the Rose Bowl with Arizona until USC came calling and Smith took the redeye out of Tucson as fast as he could.

I don't see RR getting Arizona to the Rose Bowl any time soon. Just to much competition now in the PAC.
Tony Mason's regime caused the probation, not Jim Young's.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
jollything

Post by jollything »

Merkin wrote:
jollything wrote:I believe if we get another 8 win season, it would be the first time we have had 3 seasons with at least 8 wins in a row since the 70's. Jim Young (73, 74, 75) did that in the WAC according to wikipedia.

I think he will, he has us on that path at least. If we keep recruiting well, who knows.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think RichRod can do some great things but he has to stay and "own" the program. He needs that breakthrough year where someway or somehow we get to the RoseBowl or get in the playoff.

Big odds aginst it but those odds were just as long for Lute, although I get it takes more then 4-5 good players in football. I just think RR has his eyes set on the next stop which worries me as it relates to building a strong program.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Salty

Post by Salty »

azcat49 wrote:I think RichRod can do some great things but he has to stay and "own" the program. He needs that breakthrough year where someway or somehow we get to the RoseBowl or get in the playoff.

Big odds aginst it but those odds were just as long for Lute, although I get it takes more then 4-5 good players in football. I just think RR has his eyes set on the next stop which worries me as it relates to building a strong program.
He's got about 8 million reasons to stay.

There's absolutely no reason to think that RR is going to leave, ever.

If he isn't with Arizona, it is going to be because he retired or because he gets fired. No other program is going to take a chance on him and he's not stupid enough to chance his reputation twice.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Salty wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I think RichRod can do some great things but he has to stay and "own" the program. He needs that breakthrough year where someway or somehow we get to the RoseBowl or get in the playoff.

If he isn't with Arizona, it is going to be because he retired or because he gets fired. No other program is going to take a chance on him and he's not stupid enough to chance his reputation twice.
Arizona took a chance of him.

If Alabama is willing to hire Mike Price (ROLLLLLLL TIIIIIIDE) then if RR gets the UA to a BCS bowl game (or whatever the current incarnation will be) then the big schools will come knocking.
jollything

Post by jollything »

I've said this before, but Arizona Football needs its Lute Olson. Kentucky came calling twice for Lute and he chose to stay and he made Arizona Basketball into the power and coaching destination it is today and because of it he is a legend here. I really think (hope?) that RR can be that guy for football, but I guess we will need to see how it goes when his "Kentucky" comes calling.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

if RR gets the UA to a BCS bowl game (or whatever the current incarnation will be) then the big schools will come knocking.
I don't think so. Big schools aren't willing to wait 4 years for RR to put his system in place(see Michigan). Even if he gets us to BCS bowls the big schools won't want him because it took too long here. Lower level schools may want him but I would think we could pay as much as those programs to keep him if our program really got to that level.

I'm much more concerned about recruiting. It seems like we really made some strides with elite type guys last class but this class is filled with guys that we had to fend off Utah state and Nevada for.
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Salty wrote:

If Alabama is willing to hire Mike Price (ROLLLLLLL TIIIIIIDE) then if RR gets the UA to a BCS bowl game (or whatever the current incarnation will be) then the big schools will come knocking.
It's rolling, baby!
Salty

Post by Salty »

Merkin wrote:
Salty wrote:

USC hired Steve Sarkasian. That tells you about as much as you need to know about how BCS-level coaches aren't attracted to "elite" jobs anymore.

If USC, which is probably a top-5 job in the country, in the most fertile recruiting grounds on the country, and in one of the best places to live in the world, has to go as low as Steve Sarkasian, Arizona doesn't need to worry about losing Rich Rod to Alabama or Ohio State.

Ignoring a complete lack of interest in Rich Rod, why would he leave? Uprooting his entire coaching tree, AGAIN? Gambling his coaching legacy, AGAIN? Plus, he'd miss out on the retention bonus that was created just a few weeks ago, and thats a LOT of money to give up.

Programs that I think may be of interest to Rich Rod (Florida, Tennessee, LSU) would NEVER hire him. Especially Tennessee, which had its chance this season.

Arizona and Rich Rod are in it for the long haul.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Salty wrote: Programs that I think may be of interest to Rich Rod (Florida, Tennessee, LSU) would NEVER hire him. Especially Tennessee, which had its chance this season.

Arizona and Rich Rod are in it for the long haul.
Made this argument before, but all you had to do is look at the reaction of the Louisville fan base to the RR rumors to see that RR has a long way to go before his name becomes a hot commodity nationally again.

I won't go as far to say that he's in it for the long haul, but there are now a lot of factors in place that are starting to anchor the staff a little bit (RR's kids, Casteel's kid at NAU, etc.) in addition to the retention bonus. The chances of him making a lateral move to someplace like Louisville would appear to be awfully small from the outside looking in.

I could see him leaving after he's restored his national reputation by winning at least a conference championship here - and if he gets us to a Rose Bowl and/or playoff berth and leaves, I'll feel nothing but gratitude.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

yeah i wouldn't say he's in it for the long haul, but unless something amazing happens, i think he's here for another 3-4 years. needs that time to rebuild his image. he might stay at arizona until he retires, but i see him being here for that 3-4 more years, making us a consistent 9-4/10-3 type team every year and then getting a top 15ish job at a top tier acc/sec school like an lsu or georgia or clemson or something.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
boat343

Post by boat343 »

ASUHATER! wrote:yeah i wouldn't say he's in it for the long haul, but unless something amazing happens, i think he's here for another 3-4 years. needs that time to rebuild his image. he might stay at arizona until he retires, but i see him being here for that 3-4 more years, making us a consistent 9-4/10-3 type team every year and then getting a top 15ish job at a top tier acc/sec school like an lsu or georgia or clemson or something.
That Florida job will open sooner than 3-4 years. Anybody think they'd take a chance on him if he has an 8/9 win season this year followed by a 10 with a run at the conference championship? If that happened I would have an eternal hate (I kind of already do) for UF.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

boat343 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:yeah i wouldn't say he's in it for the long haul, but unless something amazing happens, i think he's here for another 3-4 years. needs that time to rebuild his image. he might stay at arizona until he retires, but i see him being here for that 3-4 more years, making us a consistent 9-4/10-3 type team every year and then getting a top 15ish job at a top tier acc/sec school like an lsu or georgia or clemson or something.
That Florida job will open sooner than 3-4 years. Anybody think they'd take a chance on him if he has an 8/9 win season this year followed by a 10 with a run at the conference championship? If that happened I would have an eternal hate (I kind of already do) for UF.
UF definitely feels like a likely candidate but I don't think your scenario would cut it. If they were going to take anyone from the "sissy" Pac-12 they would be looking at whoever had won the conference championship (Mora, Shaw, Helfritch....I cannot bring myself to type the other name that could come up.)
boat343

Post by boat343 »

azthrillhouse wrote:
boat343 wrote:
UF definitely feels like a likely candidate but I don't think your scenario would cut it. If they were going to take anyone from the "sissy" Pac-12 they would be looking at whoever had won the conference championship (Mora, Shaw, Helfritch....I cannot bring myself to type the other name that could come up.)
I'm not sure any of those guys would bolt for the Florida job. Mora and Shaw are pretty content and I bet Oregon would throw silly money at Helfritch. And, in my opinion, I'm not sure Helfritch would be a candidate over Rodriguez.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

boat343 wrote: UF definitely feels like a likely candidate but I don't think your scenario would cut it. If they were going to take anyone from the "sissy" Pac-12 they would be looking at whoever had won the conference championship (Mora, Shaw, Helfritch....I cannot bring myself to type the other name that could come up.)
I'm not sure any of those guys would bolt for the Florida job. Mora and Shaw are pretty content and I bet Oregon would throw silly money at Helfritch. And, in my opinion, I'm not sure Helfritch would be a candidate over Rodriguez.[/quote]

Agreed on Shaw and Helfritch, disagree on Mora, but I hate to say it, right now, the Fatass That Shall Not Be Named would probably be an easier sell to their fan base than RR - he's had more success in the Pac-12 than RR has. I think RR needs to go to the P12 champ and win it before he becomes a commodity again.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

I believe RR will retire in Arizona after coaching his son at Arizona, at least that's what he told me in Jan and has since signed a contract till 2019!
Last edited by Dkenner on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Dkenner wrote:I believe RR will retire at Arizona after coaching his son there, at least that's what he told me in Jan and has since signed a contract till 2019!
Define "there"
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Anyone else bothered that RR doesn't at least publicly make beating ASSU a priority? Since I work with about 100 Devil alums its all I hear about CTG making it a point to say beating us is one of their top goals.

Definitely sells tickets and gets the fan base fired up. RR. is always quiet about this for the most parts
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:Anyone else bothered that RR doesn't at least publicly make beating ASSU a priority? Since I work with about 100 Devil alums its all I hear about CTG making it a point to say beating us is one of their top goals.

Definitely sells tickets and gets the fan base fired up. RR. is always quiet about this for the most parts
i've heard him say stuff about beating asu all the time. always refers to "the school up north" and all that.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have heard him say that and maybe we just don't hear because we are in Phoenix. Just would be nice to hear him call ASSU a JC and that beating them is an important goal
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

All Todd Graham has to say to RR is "scoreboard".

Pretty hard to talk smack when you have nothing to back it up.

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

I say this without hyperbole - that is the most glorious picture in the history of the universe bar none.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Folesfor10K wrote:

if RR gets the UA to a BCS bowl game (or whatever the current incarnation will be) then the big schools will come knocking.
I don't think so. Big schools aren't willing to wait 4 years for RR to put his system in place(see Michigan). Even if he gets us to BCS bowls the big schools won't want him because it took too long here. Lower level schools may want him but I would think we could pay as much as those programs to keep him if our program really got to that level...
Good point, but outside of the 'Bama and USCs, each year there are fewer and fewer teams not running some variation of what RR brought to college football.

His commitment to the 3-3-5 might help us keep him.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

azcat49 wrote:Anyone else bothered that RR doesn't at least publicly make beating ASSU a priority? Since I work with about 100 Devil alums its all I hear about CTG making it a point to say beating us is one of their top goals.

RR's record against rival schools is one of the only real black marks on his coaching record. Going back to WVU, he is 4-8 against rival schools, (4-3 vs. Pitt, 0-3 vs. tOSU, and 0-2 vs. ASU). His last win over a rival school came in November of 2006... when he was head coach at WVU.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Andy Staples - SI did this story today...

"His innovative offense now the norm, Rich Rodriguez must keep evolving"

Not much new but thought this paragraph spotlighted PAC12 well.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014 ... media-days
That’s one of the most interesting aspects of the influx of coaching talent into the Pac-12 recently. Everyone can’t win, so some pretty good coaches will have to prove their worth in the next few years. “The Pac-12 is probably better than it’s ever been and it’s not going backward,” Rodriguez said. “It’s forcing all of us as coaches to keep making sure that we’re pressing the envelope to keep our program up.”
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Rodriguez has no idea who will start at quarterback for the Wildcats. It might be USC transfer Jesse Scroggins, Texas transfer Connor Brewer, LSU-transfer-by-way-of-juco Jerrard Randall or Rodriguez recruit Anu Solomon. “Everyone's going to ask about the quarterback,” Rodriguez said. “I could be coy and tell you I don’t know -- but I really do know. The truth is I really don't know. We’ll figure that out.”

Nice double speak RR. Almost slipped up. But I am fairly confident he does know. He said the same thing last year then came out and said he knew it was going to be Denker all along.

Author also didn't realize Scroggins is a transfer by way of JC too, not just Randall.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

I think he knows as well. Right now I'm personally stuck in the pickle of wanting the starter to be the guy who gives us the best chance to win and the guy who will be around next year for continuity. It seems as if Anu can't do both but I hope I'm wrong.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

The "who gives us the best chance to win now" question has to be the only question that matters in figuring out the starter. RR can't sacrifice wins now for (potential) future wins later.

If there's two or more guys who are pretty much equal, then yeah, Anu should be the guy as that will help us the most next year and beyond. That's why I'm hoping Anu ends up being the guy.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

And RichRod has had a pretty good track record of developing first year starting QB's so it should only be about who can win for us this year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

For those of us (certainly me included) who hate how he de-emphasizes the rivalry, his comment today in the article about beating ASSU stands out. While it makes sense to stay focused on the game in front of you media day is for the fans and most of us put beating ASSU in the top 5 things to accomplish annually. I know I received three phone calls from buds who didn't like his comment

He needs to start calling programs out, show some emotion and quit being the stand up comic. Love the schtick but he needs to show some emotion to match the fans hatred. It worked for Larry Smith and even Stoops in gettign butts in the seats, he should try it
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

RR said "We're going to beat asu when we're better than them." I believe that we're better than them this year and I think RR believes that too. Rich Rod isn't the one to call players and coaches out from another team.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Yeah I don't doubt RichRod's intensity and I know he understands the importance of the ASU game to the fan base. Just because the guy can tell a joke doesn't mean he doesn't care.

Talking about beating ASU is irrelevant and actually is counter-productive. Talking about beating them just elevates their importance.

Just beat them.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Always thought that RR's record against ASu would be the pressure point at Arizona that would "potentially" surface. Fairly or not, RR has a rep now that follows him regarding rivalries. Comes with his track record in them (and comments).

BUT, think there's plenty of genuine dislike and history for TG on the Arizona coaching staff. I feel they want to beat him more than me given their past histories. He just happens to coach ASu.

Think staff knew they were rebuilding and would need a year or two. I'm hoping WHEN Arizona beats ASu, the AZ staff will rub it in pretty good. Subtle, read between the lines payback.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

BMalo wrote:I think he knows as well. Right now I'm personally stuck in the pickle of wanting the starter to be the guy who gives us the best chance to win and the guy who will be around next year for continuity. It seems as if Anu can't do both but I hope I'm wrong.
Could try some platooning to give the younger guy some much needed experience. Sorta like what Miller finally figured out to do late in last year's season.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

The problem with 'we'll beat them when we're better than them'...............is that we were better than them in 2012 and we didn't beat them. And I don't want to hear 'well, we must not have been better than them or we would've won'. Not saying Matt Scott's meltdown in that game were RR's fault, but we were better than them last year. And I do place blame on the coaching staff with the blocked punt late in that one.

I understand both sides of this argument, but my gut sides with azcat49. When I read the quote about 'just trying to get a 1st down against UNLV'.....it rubbed me the wrong way as well. I get the whole 'one game at a time thing'. Yes...common sense tells me that privately and behind closed doors.....RR wants to beat the hell out of asu and graham in the worst way. I think some of us would just like him to acknowledge how beyond important it is to the fans. We want our coach to feel like he's one of us....not an outsider. Smith and Tomey made you feel good that they hated the scummies as much as you did. Stoops and RR always left/leave a lingering doubt in the back of my mind, 'does he hate those f&*%ers as much as I do?'
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

meant better than them in 2012.....not last year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

eh i don't think we were better than asu in 2012. they certainly had more talent than we did. going into the game we were 7-4 and they were 6-5 but all things considered...the teams were pretty equal overall.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAtrue wrote:
BMalo wrote:I think he knows as well. Right now I'm personally stuck in the pickle of wanting the starter to be the guy who gives us the best chance to win and the guy who will be around next year for continuity. It seems as if Anu can't do both but I hope I'm wrong.
Could try some platooning to give the younger guy some much needed experience. Sorta like what Miller finally figured out to do late in last year's season.
Had plenty of opportunities to platoon last year but didn't. However, he did have some red shirts to protect.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

the only team asu beat with a winning record that year was us. We beat Okla St., USC and went up TO Palo Alto and dropped 48 on their asses (yes our defense was putrid that year). I'm not saying by a landslide, but we were the better team that year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I agree with HaCats and felt that post was well said. I get all the we have to be better then any team to beat them. i get the one game at a time mentality. That stuff though is for players. RR needs to sell tickets. Win and they will come, right, but Stoops lost and he got 55K because he was viewed as passionate and called ASSU a JC.

RR beats ASSU ad we ahve no discussion. I just feel he is handling this incorrectly. He doesn't have to go postal but he can can say cetain things other then "that team up north" He just fumbled an opportunity to get tight with some soft seated fans who need a reason to come down and watch some AZ football. If he doesn't care, why should they (this is what I am hearing )
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
UAtrue wrote:
Had plenty of opportunities to platoon last year but didn't. However, he did have some red shirts to protect.
Jesse Scroggins was not one of them though. Not once did he step foot on the field even with no redshirt to blow. Can't imagine JS is the answer this year.

Hoping Anu steps up to take charge, and also picks up some quickness with his feet. Seems he did a Tuitama and bulked up to much muscle where he lost a step.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

As a Cardinals fan that lived through Buddy Ryan and Dennis Green, forgive me if I'm not a fan of coaches who tried to score points with the fans through empty bluster.

And I don't think that attendance during the early Stoops years was due to him calling out ASU or ranting on the sidelines. It was a macroeconomic bubble that had more money in peoples pockets for leisure activities combined with anybody looking good compared to dog breath Mackovic. I was fired up when we hired Stoops as he had a good reputation, but did you ever hear the guy talk? I went to one fan/booster event where he spoke and he was the most unengaging, uninspiring person you could imagine in that setting.

RR's tone is just fine. Roast him based on results, not on bluster.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thrill, yes I did hear Mike talk a lot of times and I did share a beer with him on two occssions, once in Vegas and once in Phoenix. He was very average in large groups and amazing one on one. He hated (but respected) Rudy Carpenter and his stories were funny. He was easy to support

RR is very good in fron of crowds and I would think even better one on one but he does seem to shy away from certain topics and he does seem to be very sensitive about his performance in some areas. No big deal but when he gets mad and takes that to the AD and asks why AZ football fans won't show up on a beautiful Nov day (which he did) to watch his offense play (in which they laid an egg that day against Wazzu) then maybe he only has to ask himself that same question. If he doesn't care then why should we
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

I guess I just don't assign that much importance to stray comments here and there by a coach that talks a lot. :-) And I think the typical fan (i.e. not you or I) doesn't either.

I do assign a lot of importance to laying an egg against Wazzu (and that one was absolutely a coaching loss). Another one of those and another ASU loss this year and the honeymoon is over (for me).
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

azcat....though I agree with wanting RR to take a more public approach to the rivalry, ticket sales are not a reflection of this topic. Or if it is we're talking about 500 people or a 1,000. Anyone who hates asu football with the red hot intensity of 1,000 burning suns like most of us do.......is already going to the stadium regardless.

And regarding the wsu game.........it was the middle game in a 3 straight home game stretch: UCLA, wazzu, Oregon. Tucson is just not a passionate enough college football town to crank out 50,000 plus for 3 consecutive Saturday's. Outside of the core group, season ticket holders who go to every game rain or shine.....the rest cherry pick games to go to and it's obvious out of those 3 straight....which one people are going to skip.

The biggest reason for Stoops attendance vs. RR attendance is the modern era of giant flat screen televisions in every sports fans household and all games televised and in High Definition. For those Tucsonans that like the Cats, but don't live and die with the results............watching the game in crystal clear high def on their couch oftentimes beats the hassles of going to the stadium. it's a nationwide trend.....
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

RR will have the hot burning hatred for AssU if they come into Tucson and beat us for the 3rd time in a row putting him on the coaching hot seat.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:RR will have the hot burning hatred for AssU if they come into Tucson and beat us for the 3rd time in a row putting him on the coaching hot seat.
what if arizona is 9-2 going into that game? sure a loss would suck immensely...but he wouldn't be near the hot seat if we were 9-3 with a chance at 10 wins still.

if we're 5-6 or 6-5 or something going in and we lose to asu...then yeah some heads might start turning and putting him near the hot seat for year 4 (even then the only way he'd be fired is we went like 5-7 or 6-6 again in year 4).