Larry Fedora

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Larry Fedora

Post by Newportcat »

aka Donald Trump?

https://sports.yahoo.com/unc-coach-larr ... 45523.html" target="_blank
“Our game is under attack ... I fear that the game will be pushed so far from what we know that we won’t recognize it 10 years from now. And if it does, our country will go down, too.”
The game is under attack because it is a dirty sport. Period.

I am really struggling still with being such a massive fan of a sport that is inherently dirty.
UNC coach Larry Fedora says he once spoke with a general and asked him what makes the American military the best in the world.

The general’s answer, per Fedora, was simple: The United States is the only football-playing nation in the world.
Dumbest quote ever. You know who makes the best Navy Seals...Water Polo players
“There will be the decline of our country, no doubt,” Fedora said. “There’s no doubt in my mind. I think because of the lessons you learn in the game of football relate to everything that’s going to happen in the rest of your life. And if we stop learning those lessons we’re going to struggle. And I think in some ways we’re struggling more than we ever have. Are we ever going to be a perfect country, no, not by any means, but I do think the game of football has had a major impact on who we are as a country.”
“I don’t think it’s been proven that the game of football causes CTE. We don’t really know that. Are there chances for concussions? Of course. There are collisions. But the game is safer than it’s ever been.”
There was no collusion with Russia

At some point I need to go cold turkey and give up being a fan of this dirty game
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
DrWildcat

Re: Larry Fedora

Post by DrWildcat »

What an idiot! Everything he said is complete nonsense.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I recently had this same conversation with a good friend of mine.

Like I’ll root for CATS football that’s about it. I’m even moving away from the college game as a whole. (Would rather watch a la liga or premiership game, at least I can set my watch to it for two hours then be done).

Haven’t watched a full nfl game in years and given what we know now about CTE and its relationship to the frequency low impact over time, I just can’t support American football. That and how games are essentially one giant commercial that the game is secondary too and the faux militarization of the game “these warriors, going to battle, etc.

It’s just too damn slow and not a good use of my time to watch something that is harming many lives.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

CalStateTempe wrote:I recently had this same conversation with a good friend of mine.

Like I’ll root for CATS football that’s about it. I’m even moving away from the college game as a whole. (Would rather watch a la liga or premiership game, at least I can set my watch to it for two hours then be done).

Haven’t watched a full nfl game in years and given what we know now about CTE and its relationship to the frequency low impact over time, I just can’t support American football. That and how games are essentially one giant commercial that the game is secondary too and the faux militarization of the game “these warriors, going to battle, etc.

It’s just too damn slow and not a good use of my time to watch something that is harming many lives.
Same here. I will only add that I have to have a horse in the race to be interested. The UofA is my horse. Other than the Cats, and to some extent their (our) opponents for obvious reasons, I couldn't care less, college or Pro. As an exception, I do enjoy the spectacle that is the Super Bowl, but only because it is such a spectacle, game, ads, half time (usually), not because it's a football game I'm interested in. No horse in the race (except the last one, rooting for Nick).
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I used to be obsessed with college football. From like 2003-2014 I would spend literally 10-16 hours every Saturday completely glued to my TV watching every minute of every game possible. I'm sure part of it has to do with not having as much free time and getting married to a wife who has 0 interest in sports...but all the points above ring true to me as well. The last 2-3 years I've probably only watched 3-4 hours of football a saturday and even then it is mostly just Arizona games. I don't catch much else at all. I'm too busy worrying about other stuff.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Used to love watching college football when I was a kid growing up in Michigan. Those were the Bo and Woody years.

With inclement weather in MI, watched a lot of football.

But now, I only watch the UA football and basketball. The only other game I have watched in the last 4 or 5 years was the Super Bowl last season, and only because Nick Foles was playing.

"I don’t think it’s been proven that the game of football causes CTE. We don’t really know that"

Why has Trumpism taken over sports?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:Used to love watching college football when I was a kid growing up in Michigan. Those were the Bo and Woody years.

With inclement weather in MI, watched a lot of football.

But now, I only watch the UA football and basketball. The only other game I have watched in the last 4 or 5 years was the Super Bowl last season, and only because Nick Foles was playing.

"I don’t think it’s been proven that the game of football causes CTE. We don’t really know that"

Why has Trumpism taken over sports?
A large portion of college coaches are probably very pro Trump.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Who the hell cares who the college coaches vote for?

Football does a ton of good for America and those who play and coach it. Teamwork, self betterment, financial gain for those who can play professionally and in college. Helps people get in shape. So much more.

Yes there are dangers in the game. We have to clean that up and make equipment better for safety. But the warning signs are there and there is a lot that can be done to mitigate those risks. So if people are willing to play it with the known risks, I will be watching.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Well if we know which teams are coached by the traitors to the United States it will make it easier to hate them even more and have better rivalries.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:Well if we know which teams are coached by the traitors to the United States it will make it easier to hate them even more and have better rivalries.
so if Sean Miller supports and voted for Trump you wouldnt follow him or U of A Basketball anymore?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:Who the hell cares who the college coaches vote for?

Football does a ton of good for America and those who play and coach it. Teamwork, self betterment, financial gain for those who can play professionally and in college. Helps people get in shape. So much more.

Yes there are dangers in the game. We have to clean that up and make equipment better for safety. But the warning signs are there and there is a lot that can be done to mitigate those risks. So if people are willing to play it with the known risks, I will be watching.
I love football but its a dirty sport whose risks FAR outweigh its benefits to our country. I look at Football like Smoking. Smoking had benefits. Communal, relaxing, take the stress off and financial gain for farmers of Tobacco and the Cigarette companies. But the risks are far worse. Now I basically consider myself a smoker so I know I am part of the problem. And at some point, I will quit.

I have known a number of football players who played at the highest levels. Tell them Football helps get you into shape. Its pathetic how bad of shape some of them are in.

Football does make money, lots of money which has its benefits, but so did cigarettes.

There is no amount of equipment that can make the game safer.

And people, like smokers in the 80's, are now just learning the true dangers of the game especially with CTE.

I think people should be allowed to play football and I think people should be allowed to smoke. But at some point I will stop supporting such a dirty sport.

I would never let my son play the sport.

And if you disagree with me, please read this article first about Joe Tofflemire, one of Arizona's greatest players, then respond

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/o ... ht-sunday/" target="_blank
Tofflemire injured a shoulder at Arizona that suffered further pounding in the pros. There would be nine surgeries for that, over time, including a replacement. Four screws were implanted to keep his spine in place. Concussions, not remotely the red flag they are now, were sustained and likely unreported.

“These things impacted the rest of his life,” Paul Tofflemire said. “He was always in pain. He couldn’t be active and his weight was up to 300 pounds plus. The sad thing was watching him get out of bed. I felt so bad – this guy was so active and agile when he was younger and he was like a crippled old man.”
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My office is close to the stadium at Cal Poly, and the football offices used to be right across the street.

It's amazing how many football coaches are overweight. For years they have been putting 7-8000 calories a day into their system while going through an extreme exercise regimen, then one day when their playing days are over due to age or injury they stop exercising. But it's hard to stop eating all that food after doing it for so many years.

PHXCATS wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Well if we know which teams are coached by the traitors to the United States it will make it easier to hate them even more and have better rivalries.
so if Sean Miller supports and voted for Trump you wouldnt follow him or U of A Basketball anymore?

I imagine both Lute Olson and RichRod are Trump supporters. Both are very conservative.