I am out as a football fan

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

DrWildcat

Re: I am out as a football fan

Post by DrWildcat »

My point about saying soccer has concussion issues wasn't to say it is as dangerous as football, it is not. Although, a study did find that heading a soccer ball can equal the force of being tackled, which actually surprised me http://www.espn.com/espnw/news-commenta ... tudy-shows" target="_blank. In other sports like baseball, basketball, volleyball, ... concussions tend to be somewhat fluky and as has been alluded to that the repeat chance of a concussion is pretty low. But something like a header in soccer, which is part of the game, is a somewhat frequent action. In the end, I just found it interesting that this thread would be about how dangerous head injuries in football are and then bring up soccer. I guess at what point do the risk become acceptable?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I think soccer can look at different ball technology or maybe very light weight soft shell helmets if it’s proven that headers are as dangerous and lead to serious injuries

But there is risk in everything in life. But no study I have seen has shed light on soccer being anywhere close to as dangerous as football both to the brain and to the bodies of the people who play it

I mean with football remember it’s not just the brains that get hurt but people’s physical bodies that are awful long term. But my bigger issue is the brain injury as you can’t replace a brain. It bothers me a lot less if someone has bad knees from playing a sport then if they have dementia due to CTE.

And the amount of hits in football are far greater then headers in soccer

My belief is soon they will be able to test CTE in Living patients and then we will be able to know all the true dangers of all sports. It is tough to think it will be large in soccer when compared to Football given all the repetitive hitting in football

Keep in mind I played the toughest sport of all, water polo. I love the sport and concussion can happen especially with goalies but it’s more random.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Soccer used to be much worse than it is now when the ball was made of leather. It absorbed moisture and became very heavy. There were a few players in England who developed issues similar to boxing and football. The new ball eliminates the moisture absorption, but unless they ban headers there will always be a risk.
prh

Post by prh »

This is quite a long read but it's really good

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/257 ... leges-espn" target="_blank

Couple notes:
Last spring, the Maricopa County Community Colleges in Arizona, citing costs and potential liability, announced that they were eliminating football at four schools, including a three-time junior college national champion. A task force concluded that the teams, consisting of 358 players, accounted for nearly one-third of all insurance costs for the district's 200,000 students.
If you're football, hockey or soccer the insurance business doesn't want you.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

This is one of the ways I have thought football would die.

One of the major reasons why Northwestern players tried to unionize was to sue for better long term medical coverage. I believe right now if you played football at U of A and you graduate, the U of A owes you nothing from a medical standpoint. If they were required to provide long term health care, that would be a significant increase in costs.

Once they can test for CTE in living patients, to me, game over. Because then people start suing schools, districts, pop warner, helmet manufacturers, universities, etc. NFL can afford it but U of A athletics or our University can not afford a massive increase in costs related to insurance for football. Thats why I have been advocating we do not take on more debt to fund further construction at Arizona stadium.

Right now, people can not say there is link between CTE and playing football still. Once they can test for it in living patients, that argument will be much more difficult to make.

And then there is this
There's another point of view on Berkley's aggressive strategy: The company could be hit with the type of financial apocalypse that rocked the industry after the dangers of asbestos were discovered. Some brokers believe that day is coming.

"It's not just CTE. CTE isn't going to be the expensive part," said one insurance executive who spoke to Outside the Lines on the condition of anonymity. "Dementia and every case of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's are going to be blamed on football. There will be a bevy of doctors in California and other states, and they're going to say, 'I'm sure it was because you played football.'"

Referring to the NFL's class-action settlement, the executive added, "It's going to make a billion look like the best deal the NFL ever made in the world. It's going to be way more money than that."
Thanks for sharing, interesting article
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Anyone else not watching today?

Not out of malice or protest, I just have other stuff going on and other things that I want to do with the day. The “big game” slipped my mind I guess.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:Anyone else not watching today?

Not out of malice or protest, I just have other stuff going on and other things that I want to do with the day. The “big game” slipped my mind I guess.

I have it on as background noise. My wife and son went to a play so home alone with the dogs, and they prefer to look out the front door at all the people walking by to the big Super Bowl parties in my neighborhood.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

So far it's Edleman vs the Rams.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Anyone else not watching today?

I went to my buddies house who had the game on but it was more to talk to his neighbor Ed Cunningham.

See below on Ed. Really interesting conversation and he had some unreal stories about what’s really happening. He said the insurance issues are very real as are the threat of a class action lawsuit against universities by players to sue for life long medical benefits. Ed has had a number of teammates commit suicide and this article might have been posted before on him

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/spor ... sions.html" target="_blank

The stories he had were brutal about his former teammates
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

https://us.cnn.com/2018/01/18/health/ct ... index.html" target="_blank

Though they don't discuss it, this decoupling of CTE from concussions (and coupling it with repeated head impacts irrespective of concussion symptoms) would also make you wonder about sports like soccer. But yeah, basically football is a CTE sentence irrespective of number of concussions. I wonder if they have studied the difference between defensive players and offensive players. Seems like defensive players would have larger incidences of head impact.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ion=Footer" target="_blank

Incredible stats to backup the fact that C.T.E. and football go hand in hand
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I wonder if they have studied the difference between defensive players and offensive players. Seems like defensive players would have larger incidences of head impact.
The big uglies get CTE worse from this study: https://www.inverse.com/article/37934-n ... ain-injury" target="_blank

and this study says OL slightly worse than DL. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4628259/" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Fuck it’s all bad

Why have I struggled giving up a sport that’s so dirty?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:https://us.cnn.com/2018/01/18/health/ct ... index.html

Though they don't discuss it, this decoupling of CTE from concussions (and coupling it with repeated head impacts irrespective of concussion symptoms) would also make you wonder about sports like soccer. But yeah, basically football is a CTE sentence irrespective of number of concussions. I wonder if they have studied the difference between defensive players and offensive players. Seems like defensive players would have larger incidences of head impact.
BJBJ, I don't have studies to site (probably exist in other countries), but Soccer definitely has CTE issues. There is a reason the younger kids are not allowed to head the ball.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

They should outlaw headers in soccer. If they are worried about the effect on anemic scoring, then just liberalize the offsides rule which has never made sense to me. Make it so the offensive player’s body has to have an air gap between him and the last defender before you call offsides. Scoring will go way up and quickly.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Ban soccer due to its sheer boredom.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ especially when a team gets a 2 goal lead. Might as well have a mercy rule like in college softball, just end it already.

DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Interesting read on Dr. Omalu who "discovered" CTE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... net-omalu/

The main thing that I don't get is if there were so many flaws with his original paper, like not providing an adequate image to show CTE in the brain, why was it ever accepted for publication? Was it not peer-reviewed by other experts in the field?

While CTE is still an issue, it appears this guy has very little credibility.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I love how much Newport talks football for not being a football fan anymore
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:I love how much Newport talks football for not being a football fan anymore
The Newportcat account hasn’t posted in this thread for a year, or at all in like 7 months.

I love how you always play the victim of posters talking about you instead of the teams/games/sports and yet all your posts are about other posters.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I love how much Newport talks football for not being a football fan anymore
The Newportcat account hasn’t posted in this thread for a year, or at all in like 7 months.

I love how you always play the victim of posters talking about you instead of the teams/games/sports and yet all your posts are about other posters.

Someone is extremely bad on trolling.

Mon May 13, 2019 7:54 pm, regarding why can't the UA fill up Arizona stadium.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Someone is extremely bad on trolling.

Mon May 13, 2019 7:54 pm, regarding why can't the UA fill up Arizona stadium.
Get premium. He talks football all the time there
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So very brave to talk shit about someone who doesn’t come to this board and won’t see your lame troll.

Machina is a real profile in courage. Someone get him an Internet Medal of Honor for his bravery.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:59 am

Clinical observations and some case-control studies have indicated that head trauma might be a risk factor for ALS (1, 2). Trauma to the head is known to disrupt the blood-brain barrier (3), which is selectively impermeable to many solutes, including some toxins.Jan 28, 2016
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thought this also belonged here.
84Cat wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:41 pm
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

My son is best buddies since kindergarten with Parker’s kid.

Parker always said, boys shouldn’t play tackle FB until 14. That way they are a little more mature and developed.

We played flag until then.

As soon as my boy turned 14, he wanted to sign up for FB. He referred to Glenn’s comments and said he was ready to go. How could we say no?

There was no penalty for delaying tackle FB. Only the quality of his team’s limited his all conference rankings.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Curbing Football Drills Could Make High School Football Safer

https://consumer.healthday.com/football ... 00105.html

Could CTE wrongful death case for an ex-USC player vs. the NCAA spawn more?

https://theathletic.com/3669382/2022/10 ... wsuit-usc/

Football Concussions—The NFL’s Worst Fear—May Be More Likely On Fake Grass Fields, Study Suggests

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/ ... 6efbdb1e21
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hardest-hits-182458982.html

Sobering story of Chuck Osborne and his death and the lawsuit where his family got swindled by the lawyer
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Herschel Walker is the poster boy for CTE.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

As a former Lions fan I find this very painful.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Watching College Game Day this morning. They just had a story about a kid with cancer who was a Purdue fan. The story had a brief reference to the magic that happens in a college football stadium

It made me think of the times I've felt that magic. Last week in the Coliseum. In Arizona stadium when we beat ASSU to win the PAC 12 South. In Arizona Stadium when we beat Lane Kiffin and Barkley's USC team.

You can even feel the magic when watching TV. Last night watching Stanford come back against Colorado. The Hill Mary.

These thoughts made me remember this thread. They've changed the rules and have made the game safer. I hope they continue to do so.

College football makes people happy and inspires them. Its so much better than the NFL. It's kind of an intangible benefit of college football that's hard to exactly put a finger on, but I just love it.

Jedd"s teams inspire me because I've never seen them give up. Not once in three years.

Thanks for running this site guys. Love it.

Viva Los Gatos!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And some "fans" are upset?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:20 am
And some "fans" are upset?
I think there's more to this.

Those padded helmet covers may reduce injury in practice situations, where head-on aggressive collisions are a bit minimized. In game situations though, the helmet with the hard plastic surface allows for glancing blows and force to be a bit misdirected as opposed to a surface that doesn't glance off the blow.

Imagine two players going in opposite directions whose heads collide in a not quite full head-on. Two helmets that kind of stick together is going to result in more force going into the head and neck than if this blow can glance off with the surface modern helmets have.

At least this is what I've read somewhere in the past.