I wonder what Chuck Cecil thinks?

UALoco

Re: I am out as a football fan

Post by UALoco »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^

UCSB dropped football many years ago, but soccer attendance is near the top in the nation if not the top. When Cal Poly and UCSB play, they sell out and average over 10,000 per match.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

This dumbass

“Football players are kids attracted to chaos and risk,” Croson said. “Our world seems to be like trying to make us all the same and we aren’t. The fear of concussion isn’t anything like it was in the ’60s and ’70s because of the advancement in the game. USA football is doing tremendous work taking the head out of the game.”

Head football coaches kind of sound like tobacco executives

Football players are kids attracted to chaos and risk...so fucking stupid. Where in the world are they trying to make us the same? Maybe they are trying to protect kids brains

This is the game dying, they do the thing they need to do which is make the game safer but unfortunately it hurts the product on the field and in reality can not make it safer.

Less kids playing means less talent coming up in the ranks

How can I short football? Seems like easy money
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How exactly are you supposed to remove people’s heads from their shoulders?

Can defenders start doing flying karate side kicks to take their heads out of the equation?

If the NFL really wanted to stop players from using their heads as weapons, they’d outlaw the helmet.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:How exactly are you supposed to remove people’s heads from their shoulders?

Can defenders start doing flying karate side kicks to take their heads out of the equation?

If the NFL really wanted to stop players from using their heads as weapons, they’d outlaw the helmet.
Football history's really obvious moments of injury threats we should have taken more seriously, Part I:
Many sources give credit for the creation of the helmet to James Naismith, while other sources credit U.S. Naval Academy Midshipman Joseph M. Reeves (later to become the "Father of Carrier Aviation"), who had a protective device for his head made out of mole skin to allow him to play in the 1893 Army-Navy game. Reeves had been advised by a Navy doctor that another kick to his head would result in "instant insanity" or even death, so he commissioned an Annapolis shoemaker to make him a helmet out of leather.
http://www.pasttimesports.biz/history.html" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:How exactly are you supposed to remove people’s heads from their shoulders?

I have read reports discussing playing without helmets could be much safer. I would tend to agree with them but the challenge will be the NFL will never do it as it would turn off a lot of fans who like the hitting.

Couple articles on it

https://deadspin.com/the-one-thing-the- ... 1758114037" target="_blank

https://thinkprogress.org/could-getting ... 93ffe5c32/" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Recall discussing this back at the TOS.

One of the most dangerous things boxing did was to introduce gloves into the ring. Without gloves, the boxers saved their fists by hitting the softer parts of the body, such as the stomach. With gloves, boxers started going after the head. Boxers then became "punch drunk", such as Jerry Quarry if you remember him.

I was looking into comparing rugby with other sports, esp for youth, due to the lack of pads and helmets, and the need to tackle using your arms:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... RE20151216" target="_blank

The concussion rate was about 18 times higher than average for rugby, five times greater for hockey, and roughly double for American football, the study found. ... The overall concussion risk across all of the sports included in the analysis was 0.23 injuries per 1,000 AEs.Dec 16, 2015

More good reading:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I am really struggling with quitting being a football fan entirely. Quitting fantasy football was much easier then I thought it would be and do not miss watching or caring about the NFL at all. Literally by this time of year I would have known who ever 3rd string running back was for every time and watched a decent amount of preseason games to find the breakout stars.

But college football, specifically Arizona football, is going to be a struggle. I have gone back and forth on it as being an Arizona football fan has been a passion of mine for so long. Not sure it is going to be easy to do. This time of year I would be bantering a ton with various fans on various platforms about the upcoming season etc. I honestly miss that a lot. I also miss discussing potential breakout stars for our team and having that feeling of maybe this is the year we breakthrough

For all the reasons I hate the NFL it feels like college is different in many ways. Feels pure and I know how important it is to our athletic department and really our school brand.

Sorry for the rant, just being honest. I really am struggling more then I thought quitting football cold turkey
prh

Post by prh »

Newportcat wrote:I am really struggling with quitting being a football fan entirely. Quitting fantasy football was much easier then I thought it would be and do not miss watching or caring about the NFL at all. Literally by this time of year I would have known who ever 3rd string running back was for every time and watched a decent amount of preseason games to find the breakout stars.

But college football, specifically Arizona football, is going to be a struggle. I have gone back and forth on it as being an Arizona football fan has been a passion of mine for so long. Not sure it is going to be easy to do. This time of year I would be bantering a ton with various fans on various platforms about the upcoming season etc. I honestly miss that a lot. I also miss discussing potential breakout stars for our team and having that feeling of maybe this is the year we breakthrough

For all the reasons I hate the NFL it feels like college is different in many ways. Feels pure and I know how important it is to our athletic department and really our school brand.

Sorry for the rant, just being honest. I really am struggling more then I thought quitting football cold turkey
Hey man I don't have much to say to help, but just know that we all have your back. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. I agree that college feels much different, more pure. Also, if you do decide to come back to college football, just hope you don't feel guilt or anything about it. Do what's best for you Newport
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newport, I feel you man. The guilt I have going through injury reports to get ready for fantasy drafts is real. Am I going to be that guy who is happy when an opponent's player is out because he's got a body part that may never stop hurting? Or who is one step closer to a suicidal end because of CTE?

I'm excited that college football is back. I also feel like an asshole for being excited college football is back. Ugh, this sucks.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Newport, I totally understand and I'm not too far off from where you are.

I feel like I'm at a good place right now. I gave up fantasy years ago (very easy) and then I just started watching (and caring) less and less each year. I basically don't watch any NFL anymore, but I still follow my Bears (Did you see see they just traded for Khalil Mack? That's a great move for them, but I still probably won't watch any of their games this year, maybe just some highlights) And college football, I still follow UofA... will read all about them, watch a couple games... but that's it. I certainly don't live and die anymore with wins or losses. And Bowl games... I'll probably just watch the championship game.

I don't know how you go from being 100% invested to zero.... it's unrealistic... but weening yourself off is very easy to do and soon you'll forget that you are missing "The Big Game"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lots of Raiders fans where I live, a lot, and seeing on FB they are very upset about that trade.

Outside of the UA, I won't watch any other games, college or pro so 13 games tops. Won't even finish 2 out of the first 3 due to late games unless they are real nail biters.

If Foles is in the Superbowl again will probably watch that though.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

After the World Cup and with the start of August, I’ve started watching a lot of euro soccer on Bein.

Yesterday was was flipping between the Paris st germain game and the UCLA Cincinnati game. In additional to everything above and injuries, for me my tastes are changing and soccer is just much more an enjoyable game to watch. I like the fluid play and the strategy consistently changes. American football is just so boring and predictable.

And having Arizona football be what it is, doesn’t help.

I’m not out, but I’m certainly not “dining in” anymore. Likely will only watch uofa and that’s it.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

You're right. Arizona football sucks.

But saying how much you enjoy soccer while calling American football boring? Dude.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Carcassdragger wrote:You're right. Arizona football sucks.

But saying how much you enjoy soccer while calling American football boring? Dude.
Yea as much as I've checked out of football the last 5 years I can't get on board the soccer train.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah I don't think I'll ever like soccer. Literally nothing happens before the 80 minute mark in almost every game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Used to watch a bit of soccer on TV when my kids used to play it, but lost interest when they did.

Think the last match I ever watched was the US women playing Japan in the Olympics. US outplayed Japan the entire game but couldn't hit the PKs in OT.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Gotta be honest, yesterday's dud debut was one more nail in the coffin of my Arizona football fandom.

Might have one left, but no more. There is so, so, soooooo much more to life than trying to play Lazarus to the unrevivable.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

What will the U of A do with all the football facilities when the program ends?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote:What will the U of A do with all the football facilities when the program ends?
Same thing other schools do.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Well I am glad I missed nothing!

One thing I can confidently say is Kevin Sumlin will not work out well. You never hire a retread coach in any college sport especially football. It so very rarely works out. If you can’t be successful at a job like Texas A&M with all their advantages, almost zero chance you will be successful at a really hard job like Arizona.

My advice to anyone continuing to follow our team, don’t get excited until we start bringing in top 25 recruiting classes (which Sumlin feels incapable of at Arizona). Don’t ever buy the hype with Arizona football until recruiting dramatically changes which in my opinion it never will. I just don’t see Arizona ever bringing in great talent consistently for football.

I will admit quitting being a football fan is probably going to be much easier without a true NFL team and having Arizona as my alma mater. Not like I went to Alabama or a traditional football power like that

I do appreciate everyone’s thoughts here too
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

As of Saturday, if I have nothing better to do I will watch a UA football game. Otherwise, I'm with Newport. Dunzo.

Speaking of retreads, how about Mazzone? Dude's older than dirt and he still doesn't get it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Since my wife works nights now it's gonna boil down to whether or not she's working. If she is I'll probably be bored enough to flip between Netflix and the game. If she's off we'll be out doing something away from the TV.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:Gotta be honest, yesterday's dud debut was one more nail in the coffin of my Arizona football fandom.

Might have one left, but no more. There is so, so, soooooo much more to life than trying to play Lazarus to the unrevivable.
I've long thought the only way to be an Arizona football fan is to accept that the disappointment is inevitable. The lower you keep the overall expectations, the more you can enjoy the achieveable things, like occasionally knocking off a good team and occasionally contending for a South title.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Gotta be honest, yesterday's dud debut was one more nail in the coffin of my Arizona football fandom.

I've long thought the only way to be an Arizona football fan is to accept that the disappointment is inevitable. The lower you keep the overall expectations, the more you can enjoy the achieveable things, like occasionally knocking off a good team and occasionally contending for a South title.
Yeap. Solidly in this camp now. I used to get upset when we lost or blew an opportunity or got embarrassed on national TV but now I just shrug and move on within 5 minutes. Hell I was over last week's disaster by the 3rs quarter when it was apparent we weren't going to win.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeap. Solidly in this camp now. I used to get upset when we lost or blew an opportunity or got embarrassed on national TV but now I just shrug and move on within 5 minutes. Hell I was over last week's disaster by the 3rs quarter when it was apparent we weren't going to win.
Yup.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If you have pretty low expectations it's hard to get disappointed.

Unlike my take on the basketball program, which I never expect them to lose a single game.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Especially on late game starts, it's nice to go to bed at halftime and not really care what happens in the 2nd half!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This is really true and candidly reading about Saturday's loss has made my decision to do everything possible to quit being a football fan much easier. I think part of the reason I was still struggling with my decision was thinking, crap this is the year Arizona does something with a potential Heisman candidate at QB and a legit coach who actually knows how to recruit.

Then obviously the game happened and from reading about it, its clear Khalil is not a Heisman candidate, our OL and DL are still awful as they have basically been since I started following the team in 1999, and Sumlin is a retread coach who only was a great recruiter because he was at Texas A&M where even Machina could recruit great talent. Our current recruiting class is actually worse then a Rich Rod class. Clear he is not the answer as if you read what Texas A&M fans said about him they were ecstatic to fire him. Iowa Fans are still pissed Lute left them for Arizona and they have never really recovered. Thats a sign when you hire a good coach. Xavier fans at the time were pissed Sean Miller left for us too. When we hired Augie Busch to coach our swimming team I imagine Virginia was upset about it. When we hired John Wackovic I remember a Texas fan telling me "You are screwed". My Michigan buddies all said Dick Rod was a bum too.

Since 1999, Arizona has beaten ASU and won a Bowl game (Any Bowl game) once. 2008. So basically last twenty years we have had one good season as I think beating ASU and winning any type of bowl game would be the mark of a good season.

Basically giving up being an Arizona football fan is easy because giving up something that consistently disappoints is easy. It like quitting a drug that makes you feel worse instead of better. I will always miss the banter and getting into good discussions and arguments about it but thankfully Machina still posts on the basketball boards talking about practice so that will live on just fine.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

10 years is very long in football years. Props to him.

But this is still funny
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I totally support the guy having the light bulb go off and wanting to retire and realizing he can't do it anymore... but literally just walking out on the team at halftime and quitting is kind of a dick move.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:(

prh

Post by prh »

Meanwhile Clay Matthews is complaining about the league going soft. As unpopular as they've been, the changes the NFL has made are actually really good. It's just a small step, but one forward nonetheless.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

prh wrote:Meanwhile Clay Matthews is complaining about the league going soft. As unpopular as they've been, the changes the NFL has made are actually really good. It's just a small step, but one forward nonetheless.
I fucking hate football now. Not even hard anymore to be a fan considering all the people complaining about the game getting soft or being too left wing. I saw the Clay Mathews hit and didn’t see the game dying, I saw Alex smith dying. I saw Alex Smith getting his head slammed into the turf causing long term brain damage that will show up later in life. So many people complaining about the hit not realizing what is really going on.

I am disgusted at football now. Thankfully the game is going to die a quicker death then many think. Because the NFL is doing what it has to do to protect players which will ruin the game for many as in reality there is no way to make the game safe. The game is inherently unsafe.

It is crazy how quickly I turned. It’s like I have woken up and seen the light.

RIP to real football
Last edited by Newportcat on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Pretty simple really, they are today's gladiators and they trot out for the Romans who want to see blood. While I only watch college football I think the demise of the NFL will ultimately be the death of the sport
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:
prh wrote:Meanwhile Clay Matthews is complaining about the league going soft. As unpopular as they've been, the changes the NFL has made are actually really good. It's just a small step, but one forward nonetheless.
I fucking hate football now. Not even hard anymore to be a fan considering all the people complaining about the game getting soft or being too left wing. I saw the Clay Mathews hit and didn’t see the game dying, I saw Alex smith dying. I saw Alex Smith getting his head slammed into the turf causing long term brain damage that will show up later in life. So many people complaining about the hit not realizing what is really going on.

I am disgusted at football now. Thankfully the game is going to die a quicker death then many think. Because the NFL is doing what it has to do to protect players which will ruin the game for many as in reality there is no way to make the game safe. The game is inherently unsafe.

Or fans know that Smith made the choice to play fully known all risks involved and is paid very well for taking said risk under his full control
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

It will follow boxing. Eventually, the best athletes will play other sports and football will die and then resurface as something else.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Or fans know that Smith made the choice to play fully known all risks involved and is paid very well for taking said risk under his full control
Does he know ALL the risks involved. Bold statement when balanced against the lengths the NFL has gone in the past to hide what it knows about the long term health effects of playing the game.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Really dumb quote from Jason Witten...
prh

Post by prh »

This roughing the quarterback rule has been around since 1995 and just not enforced. Painfully awkward to hear Witten complain about it considering that these exact plays are what repeatedly injured Tony Romo and ultimately ended his career.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Local to me, but this should be required for all high schools and colleges.

When the UA put Tuitama in a special anti-concussion helmet, I was thinking "why don't they do that for all players?"
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Clemson says hi.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Two stories on NBC tonight.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

84Cat wrote:Clemson says hi.
This play is indicative for why football is just a dirty sport

Linebacker didn’t lead with his head at all but his shoulder

He did nothing illegal but that hit had to have caused major damage to trevor some of which won’t be known for a while
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

This is the argument some of my friends make. Most know football is very dirty so they don’t try and argue with me on it but do state what you said which is it’s a free country and Alex smith is getting paid well to play so everything is fine

My attitude is a couple fold

1. I think people are just now knowing the risks of playing from a CTE perspective and NFL did a horrible job hiding the true risks for many years
2. NFL is notarious for under paying players especially when it comes to guaranteed contracts like NBA or MLB. And what about college players who are not paid at all. What do they get? A free scholarship sure but ironic they get a free education by playing a sport that damages their brains.
3. Most importantly, you are ok watching a game knowing people are doing long term brain damage to themselves? You like watching people do herion too? This is what I don’t get. Finding enjoyment in something that is so bad for the people who play it. When I really studied CTE it just made me sick to know how big a football fan I had been.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Whats the point of being a college football fan anyways if your team is not Alabama and then maybe Clemson and thats about it. Maybe Georgia too.