I am out as a football fan

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

I am out as a football fan

Post by Newportcat »

First off I have been so thankful to come back in these boards and reconnect with many fans here I have met over the years. This is truly a special community of wildcats

I am out being a football fan

I can’t do it anymore

I can’t supoort a sport that is so dirty

I need to go cold turkey. My passion for football is intense but I need to focus that passion elsewhere on other sports and my family and my business. I have been struggling with this for awhile. I never played football but for some reason I was drawn to the sport. But I need to quit it. I know many here might not understand but it’s best for me personally.

I am not leaving these boards but will stick to basketball and other sports and politics. My passions have to be things that improve the world not make it worse. I just don’t see how football does much good now that more facts are coming out about the true consequences of the game. What’s sad is this might be one of the hardest things I have ever done. Literally quit my fantasy football league with my college buddies today and many are very pissed
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
PHXCATS

Re: I am out as a football fan

Post by PHXCATS »

Cool. Will pick up your slack
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What the heck happened? Gone for a week on a cruise and we are losing fans? What did I miss?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:Cool. Will pick up your slack
You could never come close to the type of fandom Newport represented. You just don’t have it in you.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:What the heck happened? Gone for a week on a cruise and we are losing fans? What did I miss?
I have been thinking about this for a long time. It has nothing to do with Arizona football, its just football in general. I need to go cold turkey as I am a massive consumer of it. Fantasy football, reading articles, writing on message boards, watching tons of games, attending games, etc.

Literally I am going to lose friends over this because I am quitting a fantasy football league with close friends from college and its probably the only way we still all communicate.

But after having a Son, I do not want him growing up to see my addiction to football. Because then I will look like a hypocrite when I say he can't play the sport. Just like why I try and never drink much around my kids.

It would be one thing if I was a light consumer but I am not and I have tried to tone it down but I simply can not do it. As football season is approaching I notice how much time I spend following it. Sure, would I still watch the super bowl but why do I need to read everything Michael Lev posts on twitter

And no one will ever convince me the sport is not inherently dirty. I know how our players suffer and what they do to themselves to get ready for games. PED's, pain killers, etc. I think about Zach Hemilla and think did playing football help lead to him getting addicted to pain killers. I think about Tedy Bruschi and having a stroke so young. I think about Warner Smith getting ALS so young in life and did football contribute to that.

I was at an Arizona event before a football game probably 10 years ago and was kind of sad to see some of the older alumni. You could tell they were just beat up. Compare that to an event when I see former Arizona wildcat basketball players and they are totally fine.

I did not post this on the main board but feel like I needed to express myself here. This has been something I have thought about for some time and candidly yesterday just said screw it I am done. We will see if it works but going to do my best to quit my addiction to a dirty sport.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Gotcha. Agree with many of your thoughts. I don't watch the NFL at all but I watch college football. If I watch it with my grandkids (used to be my kids) I don't drink around them and I tone down the fandom.

No doubt these guys are our modern day gladiators and we are like the fans wanting to see some punishment handed out. It is a violent sport and it takes its toll. I respect your stance and wish you well. Bear Down Newport
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I am not the football addict anymore because of many of the points you bring up. Sure, I'll watch a couple games here and there and will follow the Cats, go to probably 1 game a year with my kids but my interest has been in decline for years.
prh

Post by prh »

Newportcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:What the heck happened? Gone for a week on a cruise and we are losing fans? What did I miss?
I have been thinking about this for a long time. It has nothing to do with Arizona football, its just football in general. I need to go cold turkey as I am a massive consumer of it. Fantasy football, reading articles, writing on message boards, watching tons of games, attending games, etc.

Literally I am going to lose friends over this because I am quitting a fantasy football league with close friends from college and its probably the only way we still all communicate.

But after having a Son, I do not want him growing up to see my addiction to football. Because then I will look like a hypocrite when I say he can't play the sport. Just like why I try and never drink much around my kids.

It would be one thing if I was a light consumer but I am not and I have tried to tone it down but I simply can not do it. As football season is approaching I notice how much time I spend following it. Sure, would I still watch the super bowl but why do I need to read everything Michael Lev posts on twitter

And no one will ever convince me the sport is not inherently dirty. I know how our players suffer and what they do to themselves to get ready for games. PED's, pain killers, etc. I think about Zach Hemilla and think did playing football help lead to him getting addicted to pain killers. I think about Tedy Bruschi and having a stroke so young. I think about Warner Smith getting ALS so young in life and did football contribute to that.

I was at an Arizona event before a football game probably 10 years ago and was kind of sad to see some of the older alumni. You could tell they were just beat up. Compare that to an event when I see former Arizona wildcat basketball players and they are totally fine.

I did not post this on the main board but feel like I needed to express myself here. This has been something I have thought about for some time and candidly yesterday just said screw it I am done. We will see if it works but going to do my best to quit my addiction to a dirty sport.
Newport, love having you around. Glad you're sticking around on the other boards. Just want to give you huge respect and props. I haven't had kids yet, but I do plan on keeping them from playing football. I had not considered the point in bold, and just want to give some appreciation for the depth of consideration you've had regarding this.

Anyways, thanks man, always appreciate your posts and huge respect for you.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

I once played the game, so I know it fairly well, and I once followed it much like Newport has - until about 20 years ago. I just lost interest. Gave up my Charger season tickets and turned off the t.v. No mas.

About 10 years ago I began to follow the Cats. It's been fun (although disappointing). My football viewing is now one game a week. That's it. What is fun for me is following the individual players, not only the team. I like to see how they develop (or not), and how well they perform individually. I like to see how well or poorly the team is coached, overall, in-game, and by position. Of course, I love to see the Cats win, but am not particularly disappointed when they lose, especially when it's expected (but am thrilled when they unexpectedly win). I have a "horse in the race". It's all about the Cats, nothing more.

Newport, you might try this. Trust me, it's better than cold turkey.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I haven't gotten this far yet for sure, but my viewership has certainly changed in the last 5 or so years. I also used to watch football on Thursday night, Friday night and for like 12 hours straight every Saturday, every weekend. Now I don't watch the weekday games the majority of the time and on Saturdays I'll watch probably only 3-4 hours dedicated and spend the rest of the day watching other stuff on TV or flipping back and forth from games and other stuff. Just am nowhere near as obsessed with watching every second possible of the sport like I was. I still watch every week and enjoy it but it is becoming harder to do with also trying to justify it against the sports danger.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Totally understandable. But, I will say that moderation is the best policy. I am a huge football fan, took my son to Cardinals games and then switched to AZ football (we live in PHX so this is a huge commit). He is an AZ fball fan but he is naturally more level-headed than I am. He tends have more interest in b-ball and video games. We football fans are becoming dinosaurs and football will go the way of horse racing, eventually. Healthier sports like bball, soccer, etc will naturally take over. No need for us to "kill" that piece of us, unless you really feel it is detrimental. We just need to give our legacies the room to love other things. It is already happening, my youngest is now in club soccer, we watch World Cup religiously, and plan to hit up some Phx rising, and Arizona Women's Soccer matches this year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My kids (youngest 25) don't like watching football, and being that my daughter just had a son I doubt they will ever watch a single game. My son in law played baseball and track in high school, but never football so doubt this will even come up for them.

I watch a maximum of 13 games a year, the UA regular season and a bowl game and will continue to do so.

Like I said in the other thread, the only NFL game I have seen in the last 5 years or so is last year's Super Bowl, and only because Nick Foles was playing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thank you Newport and the rest on this thread. The level of depth and discussion is what makes this place special for me.

The bold above resonates with me. Its about how do you want to model adulthood for your kids.

I’m like merkin, I’ll watch Arizona fb and that’s about it. And for the first time last season, most of the games on dvr.

In some ways it sucks, I like the shared experience and drama that comes with watching something in real time. That said life has gotten busy for really good reasons and it’s just better to stay away from the score board/web until I watch. I can blow through the time wasted during hurdles and commercials. I can get a game viewed in under 2hour. That works for me, anything greater doesnt.

It all about trade offs. But by ups to Newport for considering what he wants his son to value.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Newportcat wrote:
I have been thinking about many of the same points you've made, but without yet getting to the point of swearing Football off.

Besides your reasoning, the viewing product keeps getting worse and worse. Just too many clock stoppages and long commercial breaks.

Why don't I leave yet? Gives me something to look forward to in the Fall. Love the tailgating and stadium experience of College Football. Plus, the huge daily media coverage of NFL and College Football keep you constantly in the know.

BTW, please don't think you're a hypocrite for enjoying football while steering your kid into baseball or soccer. For good reason my Mom let her doctors prescribe her medications that she flatly refused letting doctors pencil whip at us kids. We kids knew she knew best.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:lol:
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote::lol:
Its the CTE talking...what a douchebag
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrMeow wrote:I once played the game, so I know it fairly well, and I once followed it much like Newport has - until about 20 years ago. I just lost interest. Gave up my Charger season tickets and turned off the t.v. No mas.

About 10 years ago I began to follow the Cats. It's been fun (although disappointing). My football viewing is now one game a week. That's it. What is fun for me is following the individual players, not only the team. I like to see how they develop (or not), and how well they perform individually. I like to see how well or poorly the team is coached, overall, in-game, and by position. Of course, I love to see the Cats win, but am not particularly disappointed when they lose, especially when it's expected (but am thrilled when they unexpectedly win). I have a "horse in the race". It's all about the Cats, nothing more.

Newport, you might try this. Trust me, it's better than cold turkey.
First off I really appreciate everyones thoughts here. It again refirms to me how special this board is and how fortunate I am to have been apart of it for many years. I do look forward to the day to be able to meet many of you in person when Arizona makes a Final Four again.

I also appreciate how really no one has called me out for this. I was very nervous to post this here as I thought I would get crucified. My fantasy football buddies think I am the biggest loser ever for quitting. Some get it but many do not or do not see the connections I am making.

I know its a bit drastic a move but I just find it so hard to support a game that hurts people's brain. I played water polo which was a very physical sport but no one has brain damage from playing it. No one gets dementia from it. No one has their life expectancy cut by 20 years from it.

I can see staying a college football fan over NFL for sure but for me, right now I think cold turkey is the best strategy. Let me see how this season goes but just appreciate I can be open and honest here about this and not get called out for it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

#baddad here.

My son played 5 years of football, one Pop Warner and 4 in High School for Cienega.

When he started playing football, he had mostly played baseball and was a slow chubby kid who could only play first and third and pitch.

By the time he was done with football, he lost all his baby fat, and improved his speed to where he could probably have played linebacker if he hadn't gotten pigeon-holed into playing OL when he was slow and chubby.

He did get 3 concussions, one bad one from football that I wish could have been avoided, and two minor (one from football, one from a car accident).

He lifts weights and works out every day now, sometimes twice. He used to get tired hitting the outfield wall once in baseball.
Football toughened him up physically and emotionally.

Would I do it again? Probably. In his case the benefits outweighed the downsides.

Remember most kids who play football never get past a few years of Pop Warner, frosh/JV, and a year or two of varsity. What is publicized is from the kids who played 4 years of college ball or got to the pros. The average kid who plays football in this country isn't going to face those kinds of problems. The hits at the lower levels are nothing like the speed and size seen in college and the pros. Position matters too - it's probably the worst for running backs/WRs and linebackers/DBs. I think I read there are actually more concussions in soccer from headers.

All that being said, I don't think American tackle football will exist 10 or 15 years from now. It's always been my favorite sport so I'll have to switch to hoops and baseball I guess. I just hope to see the 'Cats in the Rose Bowl once before that happens.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The benefits outweigh the negatives...as far as you can tell right now. His brain almost assuredly has already been irreparably damaged.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Pretty sure I read that most of the damage done from concussions was already enough by the time kids get to college aged years. I'll have to find a source though.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

There was this article

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/spor ... youth.html" target="_blank

The younger a player starts the worse the damage can be since the brain is developing still
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

My step brother was the under 12 world champion in Ti Quon Do but had to quit when he was 13 because of concussions. The next logical step, apparently, was pursuing Football. Became one of the best receivers in the Big 10 for a year before his health derailed him.

He still hasn't given up on his dream of playing in the NFL. As much fun as it has been watching him live out his dreams, I secretly hope he doesn't make it. The kid will succeed at whatever he does, and there were times when I was sick to my stomach for days after watching him take hits in college.

I'll still probably follow Iowa and Arizona Football to some degree, but it won't be an every Saturday thing for me anymore.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Newportcat wrote:
I also appreciate how really no one has called me out for this. I was very nervous to post this here as I thought I would get crucified. My fantasy football buddies think I am the biggest loser ever for quitting. Some get it but many do not or do not see the connections I am making.
Ahhh, here's where you might get called out - presumably you're quitting fantasy football too? If not your position is significantly weakened since the fantasy leagues are the addictive angle of engagement for many who follow the NFL. Besides rooting for your hometown team, FF is the NFL's biggest driver of fan interest.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Ahhh, here's where you might get called out - presumably you're quitting fantasy football too? If not your position is significantly weakened since the fantasy leagues are the addictive angle of engagement for many who follow the NFL. Besides rooting for your hometown team, FF is the NFL's biggest driver of fan interest.
No when I went cold turkey last week I immediately sent emails/texts to the two leagues I am in that I am quitting and done playing fantasy football. Both leagues had recently sent out the email discussing the upcoming season, setting a draft date etc so candidly reason why I really have been thinking about this. When the Rams left SoCal in 1995, my NFL team left and since that point I have never had an NFL team I cheer for. So my really only connection to the NFL is by playing fantasy football. It makes me a rabid consumer of it to the point where I know all the back up running backs for teams and watch the redzone channel and games to effectively get high from watching my fantasy team succeed.

I have been basically ostracized by my friends in one league and in the other the person refuses to believe me and says I cant quit. I am honestly fearful it has damaged relationships as in one of my leagues it is 80% of why my college buddies who live all over the western US stay in touch. They kicked me out of our groupme chat for our league so not sure I will even talk to so them as much as thats the main way we all communicated about everything.

Easily the hardest part about quitting being a football fan is quitting fantasy football. I rarely talk about Arizona football with any of my buddies even my college buddies as candidly none of them care much about our program since we have been so average for so long. This and other sites were my outlet for passion for Arizona wildcats football. But I spend far less time on Arizona wildcats football then nfl fantasy football.

My addiction to fantasy football really caused me to look at everything and evaluate why I spend so much time being an addicted fan of a sport that I feel is inherently dirty.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

To be honest I think you are way over thinking things but that is you and if you feel that's best for you it's all good. I wont be saying bye to football ever.

But if I were commish of your leagues I would be upset you were leaving as a friend and super pissed at you for leaving so soon to the start when I was setting things up already.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Lmao why does machina's brain function the way that it does?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Good for you Newport.

I gave up all fantasy sports like 3-4 years ago and haven’t missed it one bit. It was a major relief and freed up my time for my family and exerciseetc... aka reality.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'll miss you on the new football facility beat Newport.

I certainly see zero reason to give you shit about this brother. I enjoy football for what it is and although I play in a fantasy league with my childhood friends (primarily to keep reasonable contact with them) I only consume the sport via U of A and Cardinals football and ignore the rest of it outside of stats of course. I don't think football will disappear in 10-15 years, but certainly the quality of the sport will start to deteriorate in that timeframe due to parents like you and I who will forbid their sons from playing the sport for very sound reasons. I'm fortunate my boy has taken a liking to baseball and soccer with a little help from me steering him towards those sports. I do have another son on the way and am hoping it works for him as well.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I grew up in the midwest in the 1960s, and there were only 4 sports. Football in the fall, basketball then hockey in the winter, and baseball in the summer. We had no idea what soccer was.

Now living out west, all 3 of my kids grew up playing soccer.

I live out in northern Santa Barbara county, and a number of years ago UCSB dropped football, and now soccer is king there.

One of the UA's old football pasties, Pacific in Stockton also gave up football about the same time.

Now we see almost every JC program in Arizona dropping football. I imagine many high schools will too.

It's an extremely expensive sport for most programs, where only the Power 5 conferences make money on it.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:I grew up in the midwest in the 1960s, and there were only 4 sports. Football in the fall, basketball then hockey in the winter, and baseball in the summer. We had no idea what soccer was.

I live out in northern Santa Barbara county, and a number of years ago UCSB dropped football, and now soccer is king there.

One of the UA's old football pasties, Pacific in Stockton also gave up football about the same time.

Now we see almost every JC program in Arizona dropping football. I imagine many high schools will too.

It's an extremely expensive sport for most programs, where only the Power 5 conferences make money on it.
If you grew up in the sixties you should know that "pasties" were something else entirely :)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrMeow wrote:
Merkin wrote:I grew up in the midwest in the 1960s, and there were only 4 sports. Football in the fall, basketball then hockey in the winter, and baseball in the summer. We had no idea what soccer was.

If you grew up in the sixties you should know that "pasties" were something else entirely :)
Haha, I remember those days!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pasty.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:To be honest I think you are way over thinking things but that is you and if you feel that's best for you it's all good. I wont be saying bye to football ever.

But if I were commish of your leagues I would be upset you were leaving as a friend and super pissed at you for leaving so soon to the start when I was setting things up already.
Wow, its funny. I honestly never really appreciated why guys here hated you so much machina. Why they always get on you. But based on your two comments in this thread its now painfully obvious to me. I am in their camp.

Could I be over thinking this...maybe. I would say I am actually choosing to think about it unlike many of my buddies who simply ignore the realities of football. One of my buddies when I asked if he has seen the movie concussion responded with "Why would I watch that movie when it probably would make me feel bad about the hits I love in football". The ignorance was trump level

I quit before fall camps for football have even started so both leagues have plenty of time to find someone else to play in them.

Machina, your mind works in weird ways
prh

Post by prh »

Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:To be honest I think you are way over thinking things but that is you and if you feel that's best for you it's all good. I wont be saying bye to football ever.

Wow, its funny. I honestly never really appreciated why guys here hated you so much machina. Why they always get on you. But based on your two comments in this thread its now painfully obvious to me. I am in their camp.

Could I be over thinking this...maybe. I would say I am actually choosing to think about it unlike many of my buddies who simply ignore the realities of football. One of my buddies when I asked if he has seen the movie concussion responded with "Why would I watch that movie when it probably would make me feel bad about the hits I love in football". The ignorance was trump level

I quit before fall camps for football have even started so both leagues have plenty of time to find someone else to play in them.

Don't let doubt creep into your mind friend. The depth of which you've thought this through (and the externalities and ramifications, both good and bad)--I think you've done a tremendous job. Also, welcome to our camp :)
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:

It is just my opinion that you are overthinking it from what I have read for you. But I dont judge you. You do what you think is best for you and your family.

As far as the fantasy football stuff I just know I would be upset if someone quit this close to the start when all final details are being ironed out. It isnt necessary easyto find someone to join in your place weeks before the draft. Obviously if it is a family or financial emergency then no worries it is only a game. again that all what you feel is best so it's all good. Also if you tried to find a replacement for you in the league then it's all good also if most people on the league know and like the replacement player
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:

I don't think you're overthinking it, but I could certainly argue you're overdoing it. It's totally fine to enjoy a game albeit a dangerous one and explain to your son why it's entertaining to watch, while also explaining the dangers, and why playing that sport is a horrible idea for him. I'm certainly not going to tell you how to parent your child my man, but just an option for you to consider that way you don't just go full on cold turkey with something you do seem to enjoy. I think cutting back on the game, while also watching what you care about (I.E. Arizona football) could be an appropriate way to tackle this for you. Either way man we got your back.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

You can rest easy now Newport, machina approves of what you are doing based on his definitions of what is acceptable behavior.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I gave up fantasy a couple years ago. I have been playing on and off for over 35 years, since before it was called Fantasy Football.
My freshman year a guy I went to high school with ran a league out of Kaibab-Huachuca. We turned in our lineups on 3x5 cards every week and he added up the totals manually by using the sports section box scores.

I wasn't even playing for money in the leagues I was in - just bragging rights. Some years I had two or three teams.

Just a massive time suck. Don't miss it one bit.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

UAEebs86 wrote:I gave up fantasy a couple years ago. I have been playing on and off for over 35 years, since before it was called Fantasy Football.
My freshman year a guy I went to high school with ran a league out of Kaibab-Huachuca. We turned in our lineups on 3x5 cards every week and he added up the totals manually by using the sports section box scores.

I wasn't even playing for money in the leagues I was in - just bragging rights. Some years I had two or three teams.

Just a massive time suck. Don't miss it one bit.
Last played FF in 2012 after being in a league for a decade. I don't miss it, and in fact it's a total relief to not be a part of FF. It wasn't until I tried a year off that I realized FF had ruined my Sundays. On one hand I knew NFL rosters inside and out, but on the other hand there was no relaxation to watching the games. There was always some WR or RB I was frantic for the ball to go to, and now when I watch NFL at sports bars that's what I see the majority of fans doing these days: keeping track of 3 - 4 games at once for the stressful sake of their FF numbers. I encourage everybody to take a full NFL season off and see if you really miss FF. I sure don't.

On a larger note, whether it's watching/following certain sports, staying out late, or loading up on social activities, every non-responsibility I've ever giving up is surprisingly never missed and leaves me for better. I think it's part of our youth that we hold onto entertainments like FF and it takes until your thirties to start realizing you're better for (mostly) giving up those time consuming entertainments. Especially the near nightly 3 or 4 social beers or after work happy hours.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am in a few leagues. I never look at the scores or think about the fantasy aspect of things until the Sunday Night game. All I do is root for the Cardinals and Bears until then. No stress from fantasy makes it more fun on Sundays.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Football (UofA particularly) fills a small part of the void that is my fairly empty life. So it would be hard to quit. But I totally get where you are coming from. It takes a pretty spectacularly gymnastic level of cognitive dissonance for me to enjoy the game while ignoring the harm it does to its participants.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Football (UofA particularly) fills a small part of the void that is my fairly empty life. So it would be hard to quit. But I totally get where you are coming from. It takes a pretty spectacularly gymnastic level of cognitive dissonance for me to enjoy the game while ignoring the harm it does to its participants.
I am right there with you.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It also needs to be said that if your friends are ostracizing you and ending their relationship with you because of fantasy fucking football, you pretty much need a major upgrade of people you consider friends.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Alieberman wrote:It also needs to be said that if your friends are ostracizing you and ending their relationship with you because of fantasy fucking football, you pretty much need a major upgrade of people you consider friends.
MAJOR freaking second. Anyone who would end a relationship over a hobby that was a gigantic time-waster from the moment of its inception deserves to be alone.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That helps explain machina even better
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:That helps explain machina even better
Hey you lying sack of you know what. When did O ever say I would eliminate friendship? You obviously have never been a leader of anything. And you do know you can be upset with someone then move on shortly after right?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Alieberman wrote:It also needs to be said that if your friends are ostracizing you and ending their relationship with you because of fantasy fucking football, you pretty much need a major upgrade of people you consider friends.
Totally right and whats funny is basically all of them have come in and apologized to me and made efforts to know they are fine without me playing which has been good. It will be harder to stay in touch with some due to fantasy football being a nice bridge to stay connected but after the dust settled they all understood it and relationships are fine. I think one major problem is they did not disagree with anything I was saying in terms of football being a dirty sport but they did not want to hear it. They also sort of wanted to try and justify fantasy football being ok when in reality they know for most its the only reason they are obssessed with the NFL as outside of two guys no one really has a team (Granted 4 of the guys in the league are from San Diego and they all dropped the Chargers). Most also get that we are older now with kids, jobs or companies we run, etc so my sense is all have realized our league probably dies soon as past couple of years as been a mental trick to schedule a draft that works for everyone. Much easier to do in your 20's.

Two weeks in and i literally have not read or looked into one story on the NFL. I have no desire or care about the NFL right now which is honestly kind of weird but nice. Dont care which running backs are looking good in camp, who is holding out etc. I can not lie and say I have checked the football boards here for little nuggets as following Arizona football is a much tougher habit to break then I thought. I could easily see myself getting sucked back in if our team has a good season as I always feel a part of everything connected to U of A. We shall see but again appreciate everyone (except for Machina's) opinions and thoughts on the topic and willing to understand my position. Thankfully my friends also see my position now as well.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Can I try defending his friends? As everybody gets older, moves away, settles down, and goes to bed earlier the only way to keep the connection alive might be to associate through FF leagues or plan annual trips for golf, tailgating, or Vegas. I'm going through this with my college buddies all grown up now. We're less and less available to each other and when one of us quits the League (like I did) or bails on the Vegas trips our collective protest probably sounds like us being jerks to our buddies but it's really us trying to keep the last open door we have with them from closing.

edit: read Newport's post above right after I wrote this; sounds a little more like the growing up scenario I was hoping to defend. My buddies didn't want me quitting FF because, living across the country, it was the only regular interaction they had with me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I really don't know what the answer is.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »