I am out as a football fan

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: I am out as a football fan

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yup we're on our way to having a Clemson Alabama championship game for the 3rd time in 4 years
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Newportcat wrote:Whats the point of being a college football fan anyways if your team is not Alabama and then maybe Clemson and thats about it. Maybe Georgia too.
Dude I had this exact same thought last night catching the game while dining out.

All of this is pointless with the inequality in the college game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Many are seeing this and the push to expand the playoffs to 8 teams should happen very soon I think.

A team like Central Florida and keeping the power 5 winners in the playoffs would make for more viewers. I can tell you they do not want another all SEC final this year.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'd plunk money down on a Clemson Alabama final again, but I don't want to turn into a degenerate gambler like machina.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I think at this point everyone but Alabama fans are sick of Alabama. Even the SEC chant crowd and some of the media. They will after this year have played for the title or been in the playoffs 8 out of 10 years. And probably will have won 6 of 10 titles.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

To me, the more I think about it what’s the point of cheering for a program you know has zero shot of ever winning a national title or do something of major relevance.

I know with Arizona football the goal is a rose bowl and at some point my gut tells me we pull it off

But we probably pull it off in a PAC 12 season like this one where it’s not like we make the 4 team playoff

Then what.

College football is all about the have and have nots. I think this is why attendance is down especially at a place like Arizona. As more time passes, casual fans care less and less about teams that have no shot to do something of relevance. I think with the advent of so many different entertainment options people care less for things that are not meaningful or apart of something special.

If you think about baseball, softball, basketball, swimming etc at Arizona all have won national titles and you could make the case all recruit well enough to win national titles. Will we win national titles every year of course not but there is no reason we can’t be nationally relevant and building towards it. Sure frustrating our team has this elite 8 curse but crap could be worse as we could be ASU basketball. At least we are in the conversation and there is hope. Hope makes me watch and keeps me invested

With Arizona football, the more I have stepped back the more I think what would I get out of the investment. Sure a rose bowl someday but that will be a one year aberration like 98. College football is not setup for schools like Arizona to ever succeed. Never has been and never will be. So the investment seems so fruitless. Even if I were a browns fan you could say NFL is set up for parity. Doesn’t work out that way but when you lose big you get first pick in the draft. Alabama wins and they get first pick

Also meaning at Arizona a coach will either leave for a better job or get fired. We will never have a Lute Olson in football because coaches gravitate to places it’s easier to recruit to. So even when we make a rose bowl that coach will then probably get hired away. I don’t worry about that with Arizona basketball or baseball or softball or swimming etc.

Sorry for the venting and could be totally off base but hearing Alabama destroyed LSU just made me think god how pointless is college football right now especially from the point of view of someone who went to a non football school
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alabama is sucking the life out of the sport

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

In response to the thread title, regarding Arizona football, +1.

Why? For protecting lousy staff over coaching up players...or recruiting better ones.

Enough of this BS. Too many young men are getting hurt anyway, and crap coaches continue to get rewarded for it. Get flushed, Sumlin.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

catgrad97 wrote:In response to the thread title, regarding Arizona football, +1.

Why? For protecting lousy staff over coaching up players...or recruiting better ones.

Enough of this BS. Too many young men are getting hurt anyway, and crap coaches continue to get rewarded for it. Get flushed, Sumlin.
Maybe if you showed up to the games and donated to the program there would be more money for the buyout
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:In response to the thread title, regarding Arizona football, +1.

Maybe if you showed up to the games and donated to the program there would be more money for the buyout
Stop stalking me posting the same sh*t in different threads, Machina. Talk about obsessed. You're only pushing my fandom even further away.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

catgrad97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Stop stalking me posting the same sh*t in different threads, Machina. Talk about obsessed. You're only pushing my fandom even further away.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Bye Felicia
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

It is just sad when these articles come out, this one linking CTE to all major colleges former players. The Mission of any university is to improve the minds of the students going there, not hurt or destroy them

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 862271002/" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Apparently left with a concussion.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Fuck you football seriously fuck you

John jackson is an announcer for high school football games in SoCal and former USC football player and Arizona cardinal. Great guy I have known for a while who is also in the title business so has done work for my commercial real estate firm. Met him through my old boss and just a great guy who is as dialed in in SoCal sports as there is.

John had a serious stroke due to blood clots in his brain about two to three weeks ago. John is probably 46 years old with three kids. He is still paralyzed on his left side. I heard today they think it’s likely the blood clots in his brain were caused by old football injuries. The guy was healthy, in shape and friendly to everyone. A guy here anyone would love to grab a beer with and talk sports about.

Seriously fuck football

https://insideusc.blog/2018/12/27/keep- ... -thoughts/" target="_blank

https://www.keckmedicine.org/do-concuss ... in-cancer/" target="_blank
cpt

Post by cpt »

Who gives a fuck about seeing Alabama-Clemson again in the National Championship outside of the South? Not me. Fuck these rednecks.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

cpt wrote:Who gives a fuck about seeing Alabama-Clemson again in the National Championship outside of the South? Not me. Fuck these rednecks.
Rednecks huh?

I care. Two best teams in the country. Should be very entertaining.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cpt wrote:Who gives a fuck about seeing Alabama-Clemson again in the National Championship outside of the South? Not me. Fuck these rednecks.
I don't. I read that ticket prices for the game Monday have plummeted and it will most likely be not a sellout. Between being on the west coast and the 4th straight Alabama/Clemson playoff game... no one cares.

cpt

Post by cpt »

PHXCATS wrote:
Rednecks huh?

I care. Two best teams in the country. Should be very entertaining.
Yep. Rednecks. It's like we had to give the South college football in exchange for allowing black people to vote. Fuck em.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yeah no...i will not be watching. I barely watched any of the bowl games this year. Maybe about 4 hours total of 39 games.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Said it before, will say it again....football is dying..going the way of horse racing and boxing...I highly doubt football will look anything like it does today in 20 years...maybe less.

Here are some predictions I will like to look back on some day...
- football will lose importance to colleges as revenues drop
- colleges will be forced to look for other revenue options and place more importance on basketball, soccer, and gaming competitions
- overall, college football will no longer be able to subsidize all of the other sports programs at many universities..leaving the power5 with "watchable" competitive football, the rest will turn into recreational programs
- recruits are gonna start looking at other options besides college football to make $$ faster, other "minor" football leagues will start siphoning good players from the power 5
- to compete the power 5 may have to look at paying players, the only way to do that with Title 9 is by divorcing the institutions and licensing/renting the brands and facilities.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
I don't. I read that ticket prices for the game Monday have plummeted and it will most likely be not a sellout. Between being on the west coast and the 4th straight Alabama/Clemson playoff game... no one cares.
Want to bet that the TV ratings are within five percent of last years?

Here are the reason why the ticket prices are down so much
1) Location of the teams playing west coast game for two east coast teams
2) Location of stadium, Santa Clara is not a spot people want to go to this time of year, is not a location that is easy to get to and is not a location that people want to go to without the game
3) There is a huge medial convention that has taken a lot of the rooms and car rentals, thus increasing the price of travel
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UALoco wrote:Said it before, will say it again....football is dying..going the way of horse racing and boxing
Yep. I used to spend all day Saturdays watching college ball, and every Sunday watched at least the Lions.

The only pro game I have watched in the last 5 years or more was the Nick Foles SuperBowl, and only because of Nick Foles.

Only college games I watch are those the UA plays in.

Football season ends for me when the Cats play ASU. Don't really care for any crappy bowl game and am usually traveling for the holidays anyway.

Sure did like boxing though during the Muhammad Ali/Joe Frazier days. Watching Ali in his latter days though just made me really sad. What an awful brutal sport, and Ali didn't even get hit that much. But even back then we knew, popular fighters such as Jerry Quarry became punch drunk.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Football will be fine.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'll be watching the game. Sure it's the same 2 teams again. There isn't anyone better right now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Washington Times really? The Moonie paper?

The only NFL football plans I know who stopped watching the NFL due to take a knee are as follows:

The only people I know who stopped watching NFL football in protest never watched NFL football.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Washington Times really? The Moonie paper?

The only NFL football plans I know who stopped watching the NFL due to take a knee are as follows:

The only people I know who stopped watching NFL football in protest never watched NFL football.

I saw lots of places with the information on NFL ratings. I searched NFL Ratings and the first was Clay Travis and I know Clay Travis is unacceptable here so I picked the next that came up

Attendance issues are a problem but this doesnt mean anything until the ratings decline for a period of time. NFL picked back up after the kneeling issue went away and a few other things picked up like better matchups on Thursday Night Football. Nothing to worry about until ratings decline for multiple years in a row
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

The NFL did release that TV ratings rose 5% over last year. Attendance is a different issue and mainly it just isn't worth the cost to go when you can easily just watch it at home. Maybe the popularity of the sport peaked but overall it is not in anyway close to dying off.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

DrWildcat wrote:The NFL did release that TV ratings rose 5% over last year. Attendance is a different issue and mainly it just isn't worth the cost to go when you can easily just watch it at home. Maybe the popularity of the sport peaked but overall it is not in anyway close to dying off.
I wonder how many people watch NFL regular season games due to Fantasy football. Once I quit it, I had zero motivation to watch any games whatsoever. Before, I actually would watch random games.

As I have said before, I would be shorting the crap out of the NFL or College football if I could. All it will take is for researchers to figure out a way to test for CTE in living patients. If that happens it could be a game changer.

I think the NFL recognizes that and so its doing everything possible to get a head of it so protecting its QB, and trying to make the league much more about Offense and scoring points and less on strong hitting and defense and running the ball.

College football's biggest issue is Nick Saban. He is just too fucking good. Until he retires he should continue to dominate the college world.

Football will never die, but it will not nearly have the hold on America like it does now 20 years from now.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UALoco wrote:Said it before, will say it again....football is dying..going the way of horse racing and boxing...I highly doubt football will look anything like it does today in 20 years...maybe less.

- colleges will be forced to look for other revenue options and place more importance on basketball, soccer, and gaming competitions
- overall, college football will no longer be able to subsidize all of the other sports programs at many universities..leaving the power5 with "watchable" competitive football, the rest will turn into recreational programs
- recruits are gonna start looking at other options besides college football to make $$ faster, other "minor" football leagues will start siphoning good players from the power 5
- to compete the power 5 may have to look at paying players, the only way to do that with Title 9 is by divorcing the institutions and licensing/renting the brands and facilities.
Interesting thoughts and I think if the U of A is smart, they would build a really nice Soccer Stadium behind the Beach Volleyball courts and really invest in Soccer. Cancel Men's Tennis and maybe Men's cross country and make Men's Soccer a real U of A sport. Men's Club team has been national champs and I think Tucson has a strong Soccer culture now so would support Men's and Women's soccer well. We could recruit well against the UCLA and USC's of the world then much like we do in Basketball where we tell that SoCal player, fine go to USC and play in front of no fans due to traffic or come to U of A and play in front of say 3,000 to 4,000 strong fans. Similar to Softball or Baseball.

I also see Soccer's popularity continuing to increase in the US and more athletes going there. They should anyways as a person like Reggie Bush could make a TON more money playing professional soccer then football.

Challenge with placing more important on basketball is NCAA has fucked all that up with March Madness. They make so much money from it, that it has diluted many fans to not caring about the game until March. They would have to completely change that tournament to increase the popularity during the regular season and there is no motivation to do so. Also NBA is going to change the one and done rule which will take talent away from College.

I think U of A is really dumb, they go on and take on a bunch of debt right now to re-build the west side of Arizona stadium. Its their current plan but that would be stupid given dynamics at play.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

UALoco wrote:Said it before, will say it again....football is dying..going the way of horse racing and boxing...I highly doubt football will look anything like it does today in 20 years...maybe less.

This is exactly right. I said this a couple of years ago on TOS and caught all kinds of flak for it. UA is dumber than a doorknob for sinking all that money into the stadium, indoor practice facility, etc. Incredible short term thinking. Think Ivy League for all sports, but especially for football.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrMeow wrote:

This is exactly right. I said this a couple of years ago on TOS and caught all kinds of flak for it. UA is dumber than a doorknob for sinking all that money into the stadium, indoor practice facility, etc. Incredible short term thinking. Think Ivy League for all sports, but especially for football.
U of A needs to stop now as the debt levels are sustainable now but to re-do the Westside its probably $150M and that would be so dumb to waste.

They could rent a course from Randolph to move our Golf Team too, build a sick Soccer Stadium on Campus, and re-do McKale's front like they want to for half of that amount and then we would be set

I do think the indoor facility will be good for other sports like Soccer to practice in during the summer and could be a cool pre-game tailgating venue for basketball and other events. All is a great conference style facility for the school and great place to hold graduation ceremony's to avoid the heat etc. Not a total waste to build that. But re-doing the westside is

U of A could take advantage of all these schools taking on all this unsustainable debt rather then become them
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote: Football will be fine.
You're fucking pathetic.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Newportcat wrote:

Interesting thoughts and I think if the U of A is smart, they would build a really nice Soccer Stadium behind the Beach Volleyball courts and really invest in Soccer. Cancel Men's Tennis and maybe Men's cross country and make Men's Soccer a real U of A sport. Men's Club team has been national champs and I think Tucson has a strong Soccer culture now so would support Men's and Women's soccer well. We could recruit well against the UCLA and USC's of the world then much like we do in Basketball where we tell that SoCal player, fine go to USC and play in front of no fans due to traffic or come to U of A and play in front of say 3,000 to 4,000 strong fans. Similar to Softball or Baseball.

I also see Soccer's popularity continuing to increase in the US and more athletes going there. They should anyways as a person like Reggie Bush could make a TON more money playing professional soccer then football.

Challenge with placing more important on basketball is NCAA has fucked all that up with March Madness. They make so much money from it, that it has diluted many fans to not caring about the game until March. They would have to completely change that tournament to increase the popularity during the regular season and there is no motivation to do so. Also NBA is going to change the one and done rule which will take talent away from College.

I think U of A is really dumb, they go on and take on a bunch of debt right now to re-build the west side of Arizona stadium. Its their current plan but that would be stupid given dynamics at play.

Get serious. Soccer sucks and is the most boring game ever invented.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote:Get serious. Soccer sucks and is the most boring game ever invented.
Not gonna disagree with that, esp. when a team goes up 2-0 and spends the rest of the match playing prevent D.

However, some schools have dumped football such as UCSB and have a very successful soccer program.

Instead of the UCSB AD reimbursing the school for 85 football scholarships, they only have to reimburse 9.9 for men's soccer. You can give partial scholarships in soccer, but not football.

Soccer only travels 21 players too, while football can travel 70 players.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Carcassdragger wrote:Get serious. Soccer sucks and is the most boring game ever invented.
Haha, so American. The rest of the world is wrong and Americans are right. Right? The rest of the world says the same thing about American football—boring as hell, too much down time, where is all the action.

For the record, I love American football (but do think it will and should slowly recede in importance and eventually lose its current cultural significance). But soccer is the beautiful game and there is a reason it’s the world’s most popular sport.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Yeah, you know the reason it is the world's most popular sport? Because its cheap to play. Kids all over the world play it because all it takes is a ball and they can play it in any street or dirt patch. Doesn't make it any less boring as a spectator sport.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Carcassdragger wrote:Yeah, you know the reason it is the world's most popular sport? Because its cheap to play. Kids all over the world play it because all it takes is a ball and they can play it in any street or dirt patch. Doesn't make it any less boring as a spectator sport.
Have you ever been to a major soccer game in Europe? I have been to a premiership league game, just a regular game and I have never seen a crowd that hyped up in my life. Could have been one of the coolest, most exciting games I have ever been to. And the game ended in a 2-2 tie

You might find it boring, but more and more American kids are playing the sport which means they enjoy it.

The game has very little commercials so goes by quickly

The ball is always moving and the skill level especially at the highest levels is insane

Finally, when was the last time you went to a U of A football game? Boring as fuck. Game does not start until like 8pm and then its start and stop and commercials and start and stop and 3.5 hours later its over. People especially younger people do not have the desire or patience to sit through that. Thats why even at U of Alabama they cant fill there student section.

Soccer is 2 hours max total time.

If U of A was progressive, they would be smart and invest resources into soccer. I am not talking $100M either, but like $10-$15M to build a new stadium.

At the very least go to a LAFC game in LA and tell me its boring

Oh and the other thing about soccer is guys are not getting blood clots in the brain and having major stokes at 46 years old from playing it
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Watch EPL soccer then come back and say how boring the sport is.

I had the same criticism and perceptions around soccer a while back then one early morning I was flipping the channels and watched Arsenal and Thierry Henry play and I have been hooked since.

Also learned the sport has tons of strategy (game within the game) that I never realized.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Doesn't soccer have an issue with concussions/CTE after repeated headers? The link is at least being looked into anyway. Obviously, headers do not happen every play but it seems like there is still some risk.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I invite anyone who doesn't like soccer to a Phoenix Rising match. So freaking fun but nothing compared to a college or NFL game
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I get what you guys are saying , but people have been saying that soccer is really going to catch on for the last 25 years. Ain't happening. Last soccer game I watched was the U.S. against Mexico several years ago. After 100 minutes of play the game ended tied at zero. Give me a break. The only thing that might make soccer more palatable is if they widened the goals by about 5 feet. I don't care how much the U of A invests in it, it'll never garner much attention.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

But that’s where you are wrong. Have you watched Seattle or Portland or LA or any team play? The crowd is amped and the stadiums are filled. Sure the stadiums are smaller, but filling 20-35,000 seat stadiums for soccer never happened in the past. You don’t have to be a part of the trend, but it doesn’t mean that the trend doesn’t exist.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Soccer is growing big time

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 5156838721" target="_blank

Keep in mind TV hates soccer due to lack of commercials. It’s why they love football. But that will change
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

DrWildcat wrote:Doesn't soccer have an issue with concussions/CTE after repeated headers? The link is at least being looked into anyway. Obviously, headers do not happen every play but it seems like there is still some risk.
I have read a bunch on this now and links seem less real then football. And with football CTE is linked to just not concussions but all the repetitive hits.

There is dangers in any sport, heck there is danger in driving a car

But I seriously doubt research will show that soccer causes CTE at rate close to soccer or basketball etc
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Also look at the owners behind LAFC...not exactly a bunch of idiots

Their new stadium is sick too that they privately financed

https://www.lafc.com/club/ownership" target="_blank
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Soccer has carved out its niche in the U.S. and that's just the way it will always be.

It doesn't have to be our national pastime to be accepted and enjoyed by millions.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I am out as a girl's soccer fan!

https://www.medstarsportsmedicine.org/r ... ncussions/" target="_blank

Results: In sum, 2651 concussions were observed in 10 926 892 athlete-exposures, with an incidence rate of 0.24 per 1000. Boys' sports accounted for 53% of athlete-exposures and 75% of all concussions. Football accounted for more than half of all concussions, and it had the highest incidence rate (0.60). Girls' soccer had the most concussions among the girls' sports and the second-highest incidence rate of all 12 sports (0.35). Concussion rate increased 4.2-fold (95% confidence interval, 3.4-5.2) over the 11 years (15.5% annual increase). In similar boys' and girls' sports (baseball/softball, basketball, and soccer), girls had roughly twice the concussion risk of boys. Concussion rate increased over time in all 12 sports.

Conclusion: Although the collision sports of football and boys' lacrosse had the highest number of concussions and football the highest concussion rate, concussion occurred in all other sports and was observed in girls' sports at rates similar to or higher than those of boys' sports. The increase over time in all sports may reflect actual increased occurrence or greater coding sensitivity with widely disseminated guidance on concussion detection and treatment. The high-participation collision sports of football and boys' lacrosse warrant continued vigilance, but the findings suggest that focus on concussion detection, treatment, and prevention should not be limited to those sports traditionally associated with concussion risk.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:I am out as a girl's soccer fan!

https://www.medstarsportsmedicine.org/r ... ncussions/" target="_blank

Results: In sum, 2651 concussions were observed in 10 926 892 athlete-exposures, with an incidence rate of 0.24 per 1000. Boys' sports accounted for 53% of athlete-exposures and 75% of all concussions. Football accounted for more than half of all concussions, and it had the highest incidence rate (0.60). Girls' soccer had the most concussions among the girls' sports and the second-highest incidence rate of all 12 sports (0.35). Concussion rate increased 4.2-fold (95% confidence interval, 3.4-5.2) over the 11 years (15.5% annual increase). In similar boys' and girls' sports (baseball/softball, basketball, and soccer), girls had roughly twice the concussion risk of boys. Concussion rate increased over time in all 12 sports.

Conclusion: Although the collision sports of football and boys' lacrosse had the highest number of concussions and football the highest concussion rate, concussion occurred in all other sports and was observed in girls' sports at rates similar to or higher than those of boys' sports. The increase over time in all sports may reflect actual increased occurrence or greater coding sensitivity with widely disseminated guidance on concussion detection and treatment. The high-participation collision sports of football and boys' lacrosse warrant continued vigilance, but the findings suggest that focus on concussion detection, treatment, and prevention should not be limited to those sports traditionally associated with concussion risk.
The risk of concussions exist in all sports. Heck our women’s volleyball team had a run of concussions this year. But the issues I have read on football talk more to the dangers of the repeated head trauma being linked to CTE. All those little hits in games or practice

I could be wrong but feels like a lot less of that in soccer practices
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote: The risk of concussions exist in all sports. Heck our women’s volleyball team had a run of concussions this year. But the issues I have read on football talk more to the dangers of the repeated head trauma being linked to CTE. All those little hits in games or practice
I was just being facetious. Football and boxing have to the worst sports ever for CTE. 96% of tested NFL players have signs of CTE. 90% of boxers have had concussions.

Recalls years ago someone suggested removing gloves from boxers. No one wants to put bare knuckles on a jaw or forehead, so boxers would switch to softer spots such as the belly.