wyo-cat

Re: UCLA

Post by wyo-cat »

LA? Post interview dinner?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Some people say….

They’re in Cabo. Where UCLA is interviewing coaches.

OMG!!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I can't believe Fisch was stupid enough to post that pic and confirm the rumors.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I don't think that is Cabo. It has a heater next to the table. Who is the lady? That isn't his wife and he looks lit. Another Urban Meyers?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TheCat wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:50 pm I don't think that is Cabo. It has a heater next to the table. Who is the lady? That isn't his wife and he looks lit. Another Urban Meyers?
That is definitely Amber.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

TheCat wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:50 pm I don't think that is Cabo. It has a heater next to the table. Who is the lady? That isn't his wife and he looks lit. Another Urban Meyers?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

wyo-cat wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:43 pm LA? Post interview dinner?
-Fisch professing his love for Amber in Cabo over drinks.
-Amber professing her love for L.A. over drinks.
Mike Luke's burner account.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Amber does look like the type to encourage one rung up.

Cats never had a chance.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

lol…are the uw boards in fire?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:46 am lol…are the uw boards in fire?
Nah, they're in the denial phase.

Jedd isn't going to get the job, it'll cost UCLA too much to make it happen, but he'll interview for every job opening with a pulse from this point on and UW fans will have to learn to accept it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UCLA will have to pay UW $12M if they hire Fisch.

Same amount Bama paid UDub for DeBoer.

Could be a very profitable racket.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:22 am

Jedd isn't going to get the job, it'll cost UCLA too much to make it happen, but he'll interview for every job opening with a pulse from this point on and UW fans will have to learn to accept it.
Schools don't pay buyouts, boosters so. If UCLA does hire a coach with a buyout, it is because someone stepped up to pay the buyout.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:42 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:22 am

Schools don't pay buyouts, boosters so. If UCLA does hire a coach with a buyout, it is because someone stepped up to pay the buyout.
That's fair. Do the boosters feel Jedd is worth $10 million to buyout? Ehhhh, doubt it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With Jedd showing his true colors, I wonder if UDub would lower the buyout.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

UCLA fans are desperate to save face with a big name. I'm waiting to hear the next supposed "rumor" about Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, or Vince Lombardi. Meanwhile, Brennan should be reviewing their roster: Jaylin Davies, Keanu Williams, etc.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Big names? What? Lol

The fans generally want Tony White with a smaller group wanting Tommy Rees. Those are the two fan favorites.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Please hire Fisch!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is Shay Binion(sp?) still around?

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Yikes. This hire is to keep kids from going to the portal, but he doesnt recruit and isn't a dynamic personality to raise NIL
https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1 ... 2Ay7jNCfSQ
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:11 am Yikes. This hire is to keep kids from going to the portal, but he doesnt recruit and isn't a dynamic personality to raise NIL
https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1 ... 2Ay7jNCfSQ
Looks like it's official
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jedd and Amber not happy!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

From a “name” standpoint that’s a good hire.

I won’t pretend to know anything about his coaching, motivating, or recruiting.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:10 am From a “name” standpoint that’s a good hire.

Who cares??? We are no longer in the same conference, I could care less whom UCLA hires
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:18 am
Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:10 am From a “name” standpoint that’s a good hire.

Who cares??? We are no longer in the same conference, I could care less whom UCLA hires
I mean, I’m a college football fan so it’s all interesting to me, plus I want to see all the former PAC teams that are now in the B1G suck a dead donkey’s taint … so the answer to your question is I do. I care.

And the phrase is “couldn’t care less”. Could care less means you do care, probably more than you should.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

From a "best coach available" standpoint, they probably should have hired an NFL assistant. Seems like those guys all have Fisch disease, which means they aspire to nothing less than being a Super Bowl-winning head coach in the NFL, and a college head gig is a means to eventually get there. They could have hoped that Westwood and the B1G would mean a longer duration...say six years before jumping back, with whatever could be accomplished in that time as resume-building. But, this is bet-hedging, kind of like if we elevated Ricky Hunley or something. "The players relate to him, so they won't leave." "He's a true Bruin, so he won't leave us, like Kelly did." "The alumni like him, because he played here, and they're compelled to give him a chance." And the media will fall into line on the last one (except probably Plaschke, but so what.) You can argue he's a place-holder until bad times and upheaval shake out, like Dillingham at ASU. Considering the traditional honeymoon free pass, it would have been more fun to watch Kelly next year, but it will still be fun to see.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think Foster will work hard to represent the Bruins but I think this might slow recruiting until he demonstrates he is a good X and O guy. I think it will also keep some of the players out of the portal. I think this is the best the Bruins could hope for at this time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lot of UCLA fans not too happy about the hire. Many wanted someone with either HC, DC or OC experience, not a position coach.

They feel that UCLA is becoming like Cal and Stanford, not really caring about college football anymore. Someone posted that UCLA has the 4th smallest athletic budget in the PAC. Looking it up, that is correct, OSU, WSU and CU have lower AD revenue: https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/pac-12 although Stanford isn't mentioned being a private school.

I haven't seen Foster's salary posted yet, but it's probably half of Chip's.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:54 pm Lot of UCLA fans not too happy about the hire. Many wanted someone with either HC, DC or OC experience, not a position coach.

They feel that UCLA is becoming like Cal and Stanford, not really caring about college football anymore.
If I were a UCLA diehard, this is exactly what would bother me the most.

Thinking back to just 10 years ago, Jim Mora Jr was fielding legitimately strong Bruins teams, stringing together top 15 finishes before it all went downhill. Mid-2010s Bruins teams were achieving what Rick Nueheisal initially promised when hired in 2007 - beating USC, signing top 10/15 recruiting classes, sending a ton of players to the NFL, filling the Rose Bowl for home games, and contending in the Pac 12 for conference championships. But even Mora's best teams couldn't get past the Stanford buzz saw and though the good times didn't last long, UCLA felt like what they should always be given their known big-market, big-budget advantages.

Fast forward to now and the UCLA job very much appears scaled back. Chip Kelly's past three seasons of 8 and 9 wins feels like the ceiling. Home game attendance has cratered. Local sports media barely covers the Bruins. UCLA's very international student body isn't inclined to football. And aside from a few avid fan blogs (BRO, Bruin Gold) and their aging portions of alumni who came of age under coach Terry Donahue's Rose Bowl seasons, there is minimal fan support.

UCLA football is not the job it was 40, 25, or even 10 years ago. Good luck coach Foster.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Big hire for DeShaun Foster - UCLA hires Eric Bieniemy as OC:
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

They face an odd future. Not sure how much they were gung-ho for the B1G, versus forced into it by USC's money-grab (their portion now reduced by their "tax" to Berkeley.) They'll get more bodies, but much of the time it'll be like when the Cardinals host the Cowboys or Steelers and the visiting fans make it their home game. Only this will be Big Ten fans making a long weekend tourist pilgrimage to the Rose Bowl and Disneyland.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:27 pm Chip Kelly was awful

https://twitter.com/daviddavidwoods/sta ... 4423772626
Embedded.

Now wouldn't that be something to get fired for with cause? Sumlin and RichRod seemed to want to get fired at get paid, but never that flagrant.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

After six years of doing his best PR job to make Kelly seem more palatable during his term at UCLA, the LA Times' Ben Bolch (who still takes that approach with Cronin) has now finally turned on Kelly, calling him "nowhere man."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/sto ... coach-ucla
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Sounds like UCLA has no depth at Defensive End. From Ben Bolch—

"Edge rusher might be the team’s thinnest position after coach DeShaun Foster confirmed Tuesday that Choe Bryant-Strother had entered the transfer portal, becoming the latest edge rusher to depart. Laiatu Latu and twins Gabriel and Grayson Murphy have declared for the NFL draft. Carl Jones Jr. and Jake Heimlicher have exhausted their eligibility. Bryant-Strother was the last remaining edge rusher on the roster who had played for the Bruins, logging 38 tackles, four tackles for loss and one sack over four seasons at a variety of positions.",
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Sucks to be them.