UCLA

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatsbyAZ

Re: UCLA

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:26 pm The future B1G schedule is pure chaos. I love it for UCLA and USC. Enjoy those 11am kicks at Maryland and Rutgers.
Big Ten should give the LA Schools no favors. Let 'em both whine about the denser schedule. Whine about the travel distances. Whine about the colder weather in November. Whine about Michigan and Ohio State having louder voices in the boardroom. Whine about how it isn't worth the TV money.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:51 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:26 pm The future B1G schedule is pure chaos. I love it for UCLA and USC. Enjoy those 11am kicks at Maryland and Rutgers.
Big Ten should give the LA Schools no favors. Let 'em both whine about the denser schedule. Whine about the travel distances. Whine about the colder weather in November. Whine about Michigan and Ohio State having louder voices in the boardroom. Whine about how it isn't worth the TV money.
Yep, and then fuck them on the next TV deal with an unequal share. That’s my dream.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:40 pm
Yep, and then fuck them on the next TV deal with an unequal share. That’s my dream.
The LA schools are more likely to get the unequal share than they would to be screwed in an unequal deal.

That year where they fly to Hawaii, LSU, and four B10 schools is a lot of travel, 25K in miles to be exact, but over 4 months and can't even qualify them for a higher FF tier...lol
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

MrBug708 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:46 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:40 pm
The LA schools are more likely to get the unequal share than they would to be screwed in an unequal deal.
Stop trying to ruin my wet dream.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Lost in all of last weekend's drama that was the ongoing conference realignments were rumors that UCLA's 5* Freshman QB Dante Moore might be looking into transferring over lingering dissatisfaction with his NIL compensation. Moore (and his Grandma) shot down rumors over wanting to transfer but had no comment on whether his NIL agreements are funded as promised.

This brings up the larger question over how many of these higher dollar NILs will, in fact, have follow through. For example, the Miami Hurricanes are left scrambling for other cash sources after their "NIL King" John Ruiz's financial backing has stalled in wake of federal investigators opening inquiries into a number of "securities violations." Several Miami players have already entered the transfer portal after John Ruiz's holdings failed to deliver on NIL agreements.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:39 am Lost in all of last weekend's drama that was the ongoing conference realignments were rumors that UCLA's 5* Freshman QB Dante Moore might be looking into transferring over lingering dissatisfaction with his NIL compensation. Moore (and his Grandma) shot down rumors over wanting to transfer but had no comment on whether his NIL agreements are funded as promised.

This brings up the larger question over how many of these higher dollar NILs will, in fact, have follow through. For example, the Miami Hurricanes are left scrambling for other cash sources after their "NIL King" John Ruiz's financial backing has stalled in wake of federal investigators opening inquiries into a number of "securities violations." Several Miami players have already entered the transfer portal after John Ruiz's holdings failed to deliver on NIL agreements.
That doesn't make sense. Why would a college not fulfill their obligations on paying the NIL? They would stop landing recruits, and acquire a bad reputation
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Isn't NIL private money? If so, like in the case of Miami, if a donor defaults, what can the school do other than look for someone to take over the obligation?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think the schools are trying to coordinate NIL through investment funds and public/private partnerships so they don’t have their students getting money from shady characters who may then want something other than marketing from the players.

As such, the schools do have some liability and will get the majority of the blame when things fall through.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

They had last season's game at the RB on again on Pac-12 last evening. It was slim pickings for sports elsewhere, which I like to have on while in the hot tub time machine. I'm more of a look-ahead person, rather than looking back, but that was enjoyable. Who knows how the last season of the Pac-12 will go? I'm sure there will be varying narratives, depending on who gets the megaphone. We should be able to have a fun and reasonably competitive season in our primary sports. To me, there's no "we HAVE to beat this team, or we HAVE to win that." I hope (and kind of expect) to make a bowl game, and obviously expect both hoops teams to make post-season and do reasonably well. But the following season will be awesome, both because of everything being new in the Big XII, and also the entertainment value watching the struggles, complaints, and excuses from the two "let's blow up the Pac-12" entries in the Big Ten.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Who gives a shit.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

UCLA received 66 votes in the preseason AP Poll, good for 28th. The preseason mag I bought ranks the Bruins 31st. So there's consensus this is an-almost ranked squad.

A little surprised though. QB is a question mark for the first time since Chip Kelly's first season in Westwood, RB Zach Charbonnet who accounted for loads of backfield production is gone to the Seahawks, and the OL and the back seven of a defense that collapsed at the end of last season is rebuilt with portal transfers.

Good news is the Bruins are a more stable program working with a healthy measure of goodwill by going 17-8 these past two seasons, the depth across the roster is the most robust it’s been under Chip Kelly going into his 6th season coaching UCLA, and the schedule lends itself to a third straight winning season.

Another 8 or 9 wins is doable if the roster gels.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Hard to know how the team will do. Garbers has some P12 pedigree with his brother having played at Cal and having been in Chip's system for a couple of years now. They got Schlee as a transfer from a MAC program, but I dont think he's in the mix at this point. Some instability with Moore allegedly but it seemed to be much ado about nothing. Garbers supposedly has a slight lead, but I cant help but think Moore will eventually be the guy. The running game always is strong with Chip Kelly and they have talent there. OL is rebuilt and looks good, but thin. WR has a lot of guys, J. Michael, the Cal transfer looks like a day 1 or 2 NFL guy. Defense has a stud and a bunch of guys who are hopefully good enough to be be solid on defense. They have a new DC, so hopefully Lynn is good enough. Floor is probably 7, ceiling is probably 10. One bad loss is on the schedule like last year's surprise loss vs the Wildcats, one surprise win is probably somewhere on the schedule like they had as well.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I thought this was amusing this morning. Last year, it was: "the winner of the USC/UCLA game will probably play for the national championship." This year it comes off as: "which team will win the Pac-12 this year, USC or UCLA?" This, when most credible prognosticators rank Washington, Oregon, Utah, and even Oregon St ahead of UCLA. But...LA Times gotta LA Times. Bill Plaschke had a cow when USC's defense didn't shut out San Jose St in their opener, and he's perpetually mad as hell at the Dodgers and Rams for not buying every free agent and dominating the world for his personal enjoyment. Anyway, the laugh-out-loud moment in this "analysis" piece came when UCLA beat writer Ben Bolch announced he is going to "risk looking like a homer" and pick UCLA to win the Pac-12. Well, the good ship Homer sailed years ago, and the whole scenario is a head-shaker. But, USC beat writer Brady McCollough evidently steers clear of recreational substances before writing. He acknowleged that UCLA gets to duck Washington and Oregon, but in addition to USC, he notes that the Bruins won't be particular favorites against Utah, Oregon St, Washington St, and once again...Arizona.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... roundtable
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Bolch is usually the levelheaded one whose columns I like, but yes, he's getting way ahead of himself: "The Bruin buzz could be so intense by season’s end that both tarps have to come off inside the Rose Bowl." :lol:

The other guy, McCollough exercises the right amount of early caution: "Coastal Carolina and San Diego State are both very capable of making this feel like the early Kelly years — which means early losses to “Group of Five” schools."

One development of note is Chip Kelly yesterday naming Ethan Garbers as starting QB, opting for experience over the freshamn hype (Moore). It's worth pointing out because contrast that with rookie coach Kenny Dillingham doing the reverse in starting the freshman hype (Jaden Rashada) over experience (Bourguet or Pyne).

I think it speaks to the uncommon patience UCLA has provided Chip Kelly, especially keeping in mind he went 10-21 his first 3 seasons in Westwood. All while Dan Mullen, hired the same year (2018) as Florida's head coach, goes 29-9 his first three years and his shown the door only a season later.

College football is impatient.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I dunno...I guess it depends on what UCLA's baseline consists of these days and how much anybody's cracking the whip. They've had 2 decent seasons under Kelly, 3 under Mora, 1 under Dorrell, and 2 under Toledo. That's in the last 27 years, and then you're back to the end of the Donohue Era. I'm pretty sure they'd rather be patient and plug along and assume he got off to a slow start than go through the mess and expense of going in any other direction, especially with the Big Ten coming up. The other thing is Kelly made some coin at Oregon and the NFL, and he's 59. If he considers himself a QB whisperer, he may not need the ego boost of winning big with another team to prove anything, so I guess the concern is he might go Sumlin on them and just collect paychecks. UCLA would be a pretty nice place for that. It's interesting...with some of the fairly radical changes recently in college football, there may be even more jockeying in the pecking order than we're used to.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

My, how quickly fortunes have flipped in Westwood.

To think that only two weeks ago the Bruins were 6-2 and Ranked going into their trip to Tucson? The narrative was that Coach Kelly was winning without DTR and had turned the once ineffective defense (under Jerry Azzinaro) into a strength, only allowing over 20 points once thus far this season (Vs Oregon State).

To be fair, it's still a good defense, but with QBs Garbers and Moore injured the offense has come to a standstill. And after losses to Arizona and ASU the LA Times is back to questioning whether Chip Kelly is worthy of helming the program into the Big Ten:

"How much longer will Chip Kelly be given? And is he the coach the Bruins really want to bring with them to the Big Ten?"

Losing to a limited Arizona State roster "renewed concerns about Kelly’s ability to win in the Big Ten if his team can’t beat a Pac-12 foe that was so shorthanded it used a running back and converted tight end at quarterback. Even Kelly’s reputation as an offensive guru continued to take a significant hit."

"His supporters can no longer point to a continued upward trajectory, the Bruins now unable to top last season’s 9-4 record. His overall record at UCLA is now 33-33, which would be below .500 if you take away two victories over Football Championship Subdivision teams."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gouacats wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:58 am Isn't NIL private money? If so, like in the case of Miami, if a donor defaults, what can the school do other than look for someone to take over the obligation?
Coaches cannot guarantee NIL money, nor can any school employee work for a NIL collective.

I really don't understand how UCLA can be liable for money promised by private entities.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Upperclassmen DTR masked a lot of issues. When the defensive staff got so bad with his buddies, he made a real hire. But his OL is terrible and it sounds like he lost the lockerroom. Smoke looks like a firing is coming soon.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I am totally surprised this has not worked out for the Bruins. Thought it was a homerun hire when it first occurred.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:10 pm I am totally surprised this has not worked out for the Bruins. Thought it was a homerun hire when it first occurred.
If they stick with him I think he still could be.

But they don’t want to go into a new conference with a coach who seems to be on the downslope.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Other than we he had Mariotta, Chip has been a mediocre coach
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

There might be a coach, marking time in the Senate, who might be missing being the most important guy in the room.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

RichardCranium wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:11 pm There might be a coach, marking time in the Senate, who might be missing being the most important guy in the room.
That might be right other than he has eliminated over half the recruits in the country.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Tubberville in Westwood would be hilarious. He’d last 6 minutes into his first press conference.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Only if they started 4 minutes late.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

84Cat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:45 pm Other than we he had Mariotta, Chip has been a mediocre coach
You are thinking of Helfrich.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Masoli, not Mariotti.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

"recruits" is used pretty liberally here. They were kids from a football program invited to the Rose Bowl to watch the game.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:58 am My, how quickly fortunes have flipped in Westwood.
And after UCLA pummels hated rival USC, wouldn’t you know, Chip Kelly’s fortunes flip again – from the LA Times: Chip Kelly still the right coach at the right time for UCLA

What’s left of the Bruin diehards don’t understand that UCLA doesn’t have the football status to fire a winning coach. I say “what’s left” because UCLA football doesn’t have the Rose Bowl attendance or fan support they once did through the 80s and 90s, nor does UCLA receive the LA media coverage they used to.

From what I see, the decreasing pool of UCLA’s diehards and analysts are contained to a few columnists at LA Times (Bill Plaschke, Ben Bolch, McCollough), aging groups of wealthy alumni, and ill-tempered fan sites like Bruin Gold. This smaller subset of vocal Bruins drive the hysterics behind online meltdowns, reactionary outcries for firing coaches, and unrealistic demands that altogether refuses to see UCLA football for what it is – a marginally above average football program.

They seem blinder to their program status then both Arizona schools or other conference rivals like Cal are about the limitations of their own programs. Bruin diehards don’t see how braindead it would be for their average football program to fire a winning coach. Especially while transitioning to uncertain times in a new conference.

Expect hysterics to pick back up if UCLA loses to a hungry Cal team fighting for bowl eligibility this weekend. But in the bigger picture, if UCLA splits their last two games, either beating Cal or winning their Bowl, that’s an 8-5 season. That’s three consecutive winning seasons. That’s program stability Chip Kelly is providing at a transitionary time when stability is badly needed going into Big Ten play. Where outside of playing the powers – Ohio State, Michigan, etc – there’s plenty more beatable opponents to string along more winning seasons if Chip Kelly is kept around.

Instead you get thin-skinned fan sites like Bruin Report Online more than happy to preemptively report Chip Kelly’s imminent firing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:40 am and ill-tempered fan sites like Bruin Gold.
:D

Is BRO no longer around?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:00 am
CatsbyAZ wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:40 am and ill-tempered fan sites like Bruin Gold.
:D

Is BRO no longer around?
It's still going.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Wasserman stepped in with his interview with the OC register and that''s all she wrote I guess
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Stepped in what?

😬
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:00 am Is BRO no longer around?
Yes, BRO along with Bruin Gold and Bruins Nation - all three in various stages of decline.

But what's never in decline with UCLA fans is negativity.

BRO wasted no time taking out their anger on Chip Kelly after UCLA's listless loss to Cal last night. It's bad enough to lose to Cal at home - a team that unsurprisingly played a lot harder to earn bowl eligibility - but it's another to collapse for a 33-7 blowout loss:

"This was one of the worst games in UCLA football history. It rivals the 50-0 beat-down by USC in 2011. In fact, that was the game that sealed the fate of Rick Neuheisel, and there is a similar pall that hangs over the program in the aftermath of this Cal loss, accentuated by the boos heard echoing in the Rose Bowl tonight."

"If there were any remaining Chip Kelly defenders before UCLA suffered this devastating upset at the hands of a truly bad Cal team, 33-7, I just can’t believe they still exist now. Being on the other side of this loss has to have changed their perspective."

"There just doesn’t seem like a way back from this, and no way forward. The program now officially feels dead under Chip Kelly."

At this point, I personally agree - UCLA isn't going anywhere special with Chip Kelly continuing to helm the program. But I'm not quite sure UCLA is in position to expect a much better short term outcome if they fire Kelly and hope for the best with someone else. Then again, how many Bruin diehards watched any/all of the Territorial Cup yesterday and questioned how Jedd Fisch was able to turn around Arizona's fortunes quickly enough to dismantled their rival for over 600 yards of offense yesterday while Chip Kelly ends year 6 on a sputter?

After last night, I'm changing my mind and betting Chip is a goner (see Scheer's post above).
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well if they do fire him who they going to get. Much better higher paying jobs available. Will be interesting to see but who ever it is will have their work cut out for them. Did USC hire a DC yet?
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

TheCat wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:29 pm Well if they do fire him who they going to get. Much better higher paying jobs available. Will be interesting to see but who ever it is will have their work cut out for them. Did USC hire a DC yet?
I thought they hired the DC from Utah that engineered the defence that let in 48 points against Arizona.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Ok thanks.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Still around?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chips is staying at UCLA.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

In other words, their position had $hit for interest
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Brutal when your main donor doesn't see an issue.
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

I think his buyout is cut in half after Dec 1 - see if he is still around then!
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

This morning the barista at the coffee shop I was at (in Melbourne Australia) was wearing a UCLA t-shirt. I told her she should change it to Arizona and she gave me a look that sorta indicated that she had actually gone to UCLA not just picked up the shirt at some random shop.

Maybe I should dig out the old UofA tshirt that is too small for me, but might just fit her, and give it to her.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

RichardCranium wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:47 pm This morning the barista at the coffee shop I was at (in Melbourne Australia) was wearing a UCLA t-shirt. I told her she should change it to Arizona and she gave me a look that sorta indicated that she had actually gone to UCLA not just picked up the shirt at some random shop.

Maybe I should dig out the old UofA tshirt that is too small for me, but might just fit her, and give it to her.
That would be the act of a creepy old dude, dude. Back in the 15th century I had a west LA girlfriend (straight out of a Dead song) who had gone to UCLA. The moral of this anecdote is: even on the other side of the globe, give it up my man, give it up.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Don't worry, it was only a rhetorical 'maybe I should'.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichardCranium wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:47 pm This morning the barista at the coffee shop I was at (in Melbourne Australia) was wearing a UCLA t-shirt.
She didn't look like this did she?

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Nope, nope, nope.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Dante Moore is from Michigan…the Wolverines might need a new QB next season… :?