Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Re: UCLA

Post by Merkin »

The Donald Trump of college football?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

While not a stretch, the unheard of fan site tagged all of the USC fan sites in this tweet. I'm not buying this particular story
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

So what do you make of UCLA football so far? Because if I rooted for the Bruins I'd be well on may way to questioning whether Chip can relive his Oregon magic with UCLA.

Last season was unforgivably abysmal. Yes the Bruins got better towards season's end, but they shouldn't've been as bad as they started to begin with. Then there's the drama with players parents. And going into this season UCLA doesn't look much better than a 6 win team, and even if that expectation is met, it's still not good enough to match the breakthroughs and improvements truly good coaches reap in Year 2.

And what about the recruiting? Last year was a big downgrade compared to the hauls Mora brought in. It's one thing to lose a few player battles with SC, but now it seems Oregon and Washington in particular are stowing away their pick of who usually would defer to UCLA. And this years early returns are commits, about half of which, without offers to any other Pac 12 schools.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It’s just a killer for the conference when the LA teams suck so bad.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

azcat49 wrote:It’s just a killer for the conference when the LA teams suck so bad.
Fuck the conference. I love when the LA schools suck.

Sorry bug...
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Same here...sorry bug...
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Washington is killing it, but Cristobal is Mora 2.0. Kelly isn't a great recruiter to begin with and now we have a 3-9 to try and sell.

No panic yet
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That man is living my dream.

In fact, I’ll take 20% of that salary to tank UCLA football while being a total cantankerous asshole. Where do I apply?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Apparently half the Rose Bowl is the "Oklahoma section".
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SCCats wrote:Apparently half the Rose Bowl is the "Oklahoma section".
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

You know 1) once they ran for 16 on 3rd and 19, Oklahoma was going for it 4th and 3 at the UCLA 30 and 2) the 4th down play was probably going to be successful, possibly very successful and likely back breaking four minutes into the game.

And it was.

Peace out UCLA.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

UCLA gave away tickets to Oklahoma game, but fans still didn't show up

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ucla-gave- ... 50368.html" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I was given four tickets to the game on top of my season tickets.

Only UCLA could break Chip Kelly.

730 start time for UCLA Arizona
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Part of what's so wrong with UCLA this season (one of the MANY things) is putting the program on the back of a guy, Dorian Thompson Robinson, that before enrolling had only played QB for a SINGLE year. Clearly DTR was a recruit that should've been brought in as a PROJECT. Not a savior.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

That was a sensational clickbait headline....lol
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hmmm.... Expecting something January 16th?

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think UCLA told Chip he goes if we come to you with a new contract. OR......
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chip just got a 4 year extension.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Took a paycut and fired his DC. Not a bad news dump week.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

MrBug708 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:16 pm Took a paycut and fired his DC. Not a bad news dump week.
With home attendance and fan interest way down in Westwood and the local media market moving on from UCLA football over the last few seasons, especially now that USC has hired Lincoln Riley, I’m convinced Chip Kelly recognized he could skate by with mediocrity for quite a while longer at UCLA. Which is why avoiding the Florida job and their more demanding fans and conference scheduling was smart.

Barely winning seasons were all Chip Kelly needed to drag along his seven figure job that also employed his deadbeat friends, like DC Jerry Azzinaro, who in no way would’ve lasted as long at Florida.

As it stands UCLA has pretty much scheduled themselves a winning season next year starting with three home games Vs Bowling Green, Alabama State, and South Alabama, all before needing to find only three more win in a comparatively weak P5 conference.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

For all of UCLA's upward trending to finish last season and going into this new season, Chip Kelly and Staff are getting completely out-recruited right now by USC, Stanford, Washington, and Oregon. Three of those schools are fielding new coaches and the other (Stanford) is an uninspiring 11-19 these past three seasons.

There's a lot that this current coaching staff is failing to sell on the recruiting trail. Currently ranked 10th in the conference. Not the level of players you want to take into Columbus in mid-November. Or East Lansing. Or even West Lafayette.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:08 am
MrBug708 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:16 pm Took a paycut and fired his DC. Not a bad news dump week.
With home attendance and fan interest way down in Westwood and the local media market moving on from UCLA football over the last few seasons, especially now that USC has hired Lincoln Riley, I’m convinced Chip Kelly recognized he could skate by with mediocrity for quite a while longer at UCLA. Which is why avoiding the Florida job and their more demanding fans and conference scheduling was smart.

Barely winning seasons were all Chip Kelly needed to drag along his seven figure job that also employed his deadbeat friends, like DC Jerry Azzinaro, who in no way would’ve lasted as long at Florida.

As it stands UCLA has pretty much scheduled themselves a winning season next year starting with three home games Vs Bowling Green, Alabama State, and South Alabama, all before needing to find only three more win in a comparatively weak P5 conference.
Shouldn’t this reply go under a non-conference football thread now???

…just saying.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:10 pm
There's a lot that this current coaching staff is failing to sell on the recruiting trail. Currently ranked 10th in the conference. Not the level of players you want to take into Columbus in mid-November. Or East Lansing. Or even West Lafayette.
Whole article detailing UCLA's "nightmare summer on the recruiting trail."

The standout content:

"But even if UCLA was able to secure commitments from all five of those targets, that would still only leave them with 11 players in their 2023 recruiting class. After only signing 11 recruits in 2022, that would be back-to-back very small classes for Kelly."

"The 2023 roster is set to be gutted by graduating players, with quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson, running back Zach Charbonnet, receiver Jake Bobo, receiver Kazmeir Allen, tight end Michael Ezeike, offensive lineman Jon Gaines II, center Sam Marrazzo, offensive guard Atonio Mafi, offensive tackle Tyler Manoa, defensive lineman Martin Andrus Jr., edge rusher Bo Calvert, linebacker Ale Kaho, linebacker Shea Piits, cornerback Azizi Hearn, safety Stephan Blaylock and defensive back Mo Osling III all set to leave next winter. Add in the ones who declare early for the NFL draft and the ones who leave via the transfer portal, and a rebuild appears to be just over the horizon."

"Instead of stockpiling young players, Kelly seems content to go year-by-year, patching up holes with transfers in favor of building out a consistent, growing program. It almost feels like it's too late for him to turn things around on this front, with only about 15 real targets left for him and his staff to go after. Kelly will have to commit to changing his philosophy for the 2024 class, and hope that he can win enough in 2022 and 2023 to keep his job that long."

UCLA's senior heavy situation feels a lot like ASU going into 2011 with a (partial) preseason ranking on the benefit of a very strong roster despite three middling previous seasons that were billed as a rebuild. The obvious worry was would ASU quickly go back into rebuild mode after much of the 2011 starters graduated?

The difference is ASU was recruiting better than UCLA is now. One undersized signing class can be overcome, but two straight puts a real dent in the roster and threatens stability and momentum.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Apparently Chip Kelly wants to focus on the transfer portal, which seems dumb. But Kelly wants to do whatever the hell he wants to do. I dont see it going well for Charles and UCLA.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Maybe he's gambling on the collapse of the NCAA, and next year he'll get his players assigned to him by the Rams when college ball becomes the official minor league feeder for the pros.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

MrBug708 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:16 pm Apparently Chip Kelly wants to focus on the transfer portal, which seems dumb. But Kelly wants to do whatever the hell he wants to do. I dont see it going well for Charles and UCLA.
The timing of UCLA’s lagging recruiting couldn’t be worse for UCLA joining the Big Ten in 2024. After the likelihood of a rough 2023 season given all the experienced lost at the end of this coming season, it's worth looking ahead to when UCLA joins the Big Ten for the 2024 season and wondering whether the Bruins will not only have a new coach but a very ill-equipped roster. Even when the Bruins are winning they do not have the meat on the lines to match the muscle of Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State, to name a few.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

That's a shame.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:52 am
MrBug708 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:16 pm Apparently Chip Kelly wants to focus on the transfer portal, which seems dumb. But Kelly wants to do whatever the hell he wants to do. I dont see it going well for Charles and UCLA.
The timing of UCLA’s lagging recruiting couldn’t be worse for UCLA joining the Big Ten in 2024. After the likelihood of a rough 2023 season given all the experienced lost at the end of this coming season, it's worth looking ahead to when UCLA joins the Big Ten for the 2024 season and wondering whether the Bruins will not only have a new coach but a very ill-equipped roster. Even when the Bruins are winning they do not have the meat on the lines to match the muscle of Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State, to name a few.
Could very well be. Maybe Kelly's plan pays off and we are able to replace the players in the transfer portal. I expect having the best RB/QB combo in the PAC-12 should pay off, though having a weaker OL this year, might stall them out in some games.

There are some tough games in the B10, but it could also be offset by games vs Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and Northwestern too. I suspect the early go-around might be a little lighter.

Or Dave Aranda will be paid handsomely to win at UCLA.

Or we basically just become the Vanderbilt of the B10.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Who scheduled a 11:00 a.m. season opener against Bowling Green when it's 100 degrees in Pasadena
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:54 am Who scheduled a 11:00 a.m. season opener against Bowling Green when it's 100 degrees in Pasadena
A network and conference pissed that a team is leaving. They need to call this game. BG has so many players down with cramps. Nearly every play
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:54 pm
ASUHATER! wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:54 am Who scheduled a 11:00 a.m. season opener against Bowling Green when it's 100 degrees in Pasadena
A network and conference pissed that a team is leaving. They need to call this game. BG has so many players down with cramps. Nearly every play
You reap what you sow.

Have no sympathy for either UCLA or SC moving forward.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:57 pm
You reap what you sow.

That's a crass way to treat Bowling Green. They are losing players to cramps. They've had to take about a dozen injury timeouts to take players off the field. UCLA hasn't had the hydration issue. The heat hasn't bothered them.

As for the game time itself, the question was asked, and I gave the reason. I probably would be there if it was a 730 game, but it's hot as hell outside today in Pasadena and Im getting over the flu this week. Having a shitty immune system due to the cancer probably isn't ideal for wanting to sit out there in the sun. I should be out there next week. Only gonna be 92 and a 2 pm start.

Edit - It's probably up to 30 player who have had to come out due to cramps. The BG trainer should be fired, but the PAC-12 should have moved this game for safety sakes.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:28 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:57 pm
You reap what you sow.

That's a crass way to treat Bowling Green. They are losing players to cramps. They've had to take about a dozen injury timeouts to take players off the field. UCLA hasn't had the hydration issue. The heat hasn't bothered them.

As for the game time itself, the question was asked, and I gave the reason. I probably would be there if it was a 730 game, but it's hot as hell outside today in Pasadena and Im getting over the flu this week. Having a shitty immune system due to the cancer probably isn't ideal for wanting to sit out there in the sun. I should be out there next week. Only gonna be 92 and a 2 pm start.

Edit - It's probably up to 30 player who have had to come out due to cramps. The BG trainer should be fired, but the PAC-12 should have moved this game for safety sakes.
I was responding to your conspiracy statement that the conference scheduled the game at that time to screw over the Bruins. I’m not even watching that stupid game to even know who was actually going down. We have a little more important game going on in case you haven’t noticed.

But my overall point remains. If the conference ordered the installation of the old Boston Gardens visitor locker rooms for UCLA and SC I wouldn’t give 2 shits.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Is there someone else who schedules games other than the P12 powers? Whether conference or network? Maybe the WSU - Idaho game at 630 would have been a better time to switch with for this game. They had a high of 77 in Pullman today. Or maybe they just wanted those Ohio TV screens during the afternoon.

Someone needs to think of the Bowling Green players.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well when you mention that, then yes UCLA deserves to be screwed
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

And also when you have a coach cupcake-ing the schedule to make it as easy as possible to notch the minimum number of wins to keep you job. The networks don’t want to put Bowling Green, Alabama State, and South Alabama in prime time.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:48 pm
And also when you have a coach cupcake-ing the schedule to make it as easy as possible to notch the minimum number of wins to keep you job. The networks don’t want to put Bowling Green, Alabama State, and South Alabama in prime time.
Is the PAC-12 after dark considered prime time?

DG did us no favors, but Michigan decided they didnt want to play a road game and bought out the game we had scheduled, so we get to play a HBCU next week instead. Definitely the weakest schedule UCLA has ever played. UCLA falls from the ranks of "Never played a FCS school"
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Michigan says they don’t want to add anymore B1G teams. :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lowest attendance ever in the Rose Bowl for UCLA football.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... o-big-ten/
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I was going to add that nobody in LA cares about UCLA football but I actually like Bug.

It’s always been a mystery to me why UCLA many years ago - and I mean many- never invested in an on campus stadium. That says it all about UCLA football.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chip has definitely killed a lot of interest with his approach to his tenure at UCLA. With NFL back in LA and USC splashing out the cash, it will be pretty tough at this rate, especially with Chip not interested in recruiting
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chip arrived at a time when the prevalence of UCLA's sports presence (specifically for football) across Southern California went from a gradual decline to sudden collapse. It isn't just him.

1. Local coverage is way down, with radio and newspaper outlets devoting far less segments and articles than before. Still, USC is able to force the headlines and media promotions they want.

2. California's recruiting pool isn't as robust anymore. Still, USC is determined to adjust, especially if they can counter Oregon's success signing the state's prime targets.

3. Attendance has been declining consistently especially the last five years (see posts above discussing attendance back in 2019). Still, USC knows sustained success will translate to the excitement of a full stadium.

4. One point never openly discussed is how the changed demographics of the UCLA student body might be translating to lack of interest in UCLA football. At UCLA there's almost no undergrad interest in going to the football games. The population is not just Asian (American) heavy, but it's also boasts large foreign Asian numbers that culturally never grew up with football. UCLA casts a global admissions net resulting in the type of highly competitive undergrad, even within the US, that doesn't see the college experience as also rooting for the campus teams. Still, USC heavily promotes the football program and gameday experience across its campus, and even during the lower attendance of Clay Helton's last few seasons, tailgating was still a huge campus event.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

I don't get it? They bitch because they are in the red and now they are doing this to put them further in the red even before they get some of that B1G money?

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -san-pedro
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

The beginning of the article starts with...

...In a milestone move to expand enrollment at the nation’s most popular university by creating a satellite campus, UCLA announced Tuesday that it is buying two expansive properties owned by Marymount California University, a small Catholic institution in Rancho Palos Verdes that shuttered its doors last month....

I would like to know what makes them the most popular university in the entire nation?

By which criteria? The world would like to know...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!