Jedd Fisch- Traveling Used Car Salesman / Coach For Hire

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Jedd Fisch

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I can't think of a worse endorsement than Colin Cowherd.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

He has to be better than Sumlin, right?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cerec_cat wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:49 am He has to be better than Sumlin, right?
He's never lost 12 in a row as head coach. :D
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:11 am We're Arizona, not Alabama. The Tide is signing 20 of ESPN's top 300 players this year alone. Has Arizona even signed 20 top 300 players in the past 20 years combined?

While there might be a random year we have our best class ever, and USC has their worst, we're not going to out recruit SC. Yet, we need to compete with them every year. To do that, we need a coach who can coach 'em up. That could be Tomey finding a diamond in the rough who plays with his hair on fire, or RichRod getting specific type of our kind of guys to run an offense that will lead the league in yards. Either way, it's a coach taking players USC would never give the time of day and getting them ready to be able to beat the Trojans.

I ask with Fisch, what in his resume shows he has coached anyone up? What player or QB truly thrived under Fisch's tutelage? Who took a huge step back when Fisch left? Certainly won't be the Patriot QBs, who have a rating under 50 and a 1:2 TD to Int ratio this year!

Brennan took low rated classes at San Jose State, much lower than Boise, and Brennan made SJSU into a conference winning team. Much steeper and tougher to do the same at Arizona in the PAC, but it's the same, basic problems. Same obstacles. If Brennan can coach 'em up at San Jose, there's a decent chance he could do it at Arizona.

Fische needs superstar assistants who can coach 'em up, because I don't think Fisch is capable. And we need to hope these assistants stay long term. One weak link like Canales or Yates on the staff and then what?

I thought Sumlin was an awful hire. The exact opposite of what we need. Sumlin took top 25 classes and produced mediocre results. He came to Arizona and then took mediocre players and produced disastrous results. He coaches kids down, not up. It's why I thought Sumlin would be Mackovic 2.0, which unfortunately proved to be true. Fisch? I have even less faith in his ability.
I liked Brennan for the same reasons everyone else here likes him. I'll admit I was wrong about Sumlin. I thought Sumlin would be decent due to the fact that he did well at Houston. Man, I was wrong.

I think there is an element of the fanbase who likes hires that were former top 25 coaches (either head coach or OC/DC). It's because the fanbase has heard of these coaches and programs and believes that if the coach comes from a top 25 program he will bring the winning to Arizona. The problem is that almost all of the top 25 schools recruit themselves. Alabama, USC, Clemson, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Florida, Oklahoma, etc. have players lined up trying to get in. Recruiting at these schools involves picking up the best of the best so coaches don't really have to fight for the best players because a coach at these schools have 20 5 star players at every position vying to play there.

Arizona, face it, is probably the 10th most desirable school in the conference for players. I'd only rank Washington State and Utah below us (although Washington State seems to have a track record of producing really good NFL players). Recruiting and scouting is paramount here. Fisch's resume seems a bit lacking in recruiting and scouting. Most of his college jobs he was only at the school for a year or so and many of the schools (Florida, UCLA, Michigan, and Miami are all far more desirable schools (from a player's perspective) than Arizona and don't require as much work to recruit).

The truth is that if we hired Brennan the casual fans would be upset as they'd look at his resume and conclude that it's even more lackluster than Fisch's. It doesn't matter that he's only been at 2 schools over the last 15 years. It doesn't matter that he had a lot of experience with Dick Tomey (who was the most successful coach for what Arizona is as a football program). It doesn't matter that he has had experience with 3 amazing college Wide Receivers while he was the WR coach. It doesn't matter that he can coach up players. His resume isn't flashy and he had 3 losing seasons at a small school and that's all casual fans will focus on. Robbins probably felt that someone with NFL experience would be a flashier hire.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ztonyg wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:20 am I'd only rank Washington State and Utah below us (although Washington State seems to have a track record of producing really good NFL players).
I would love to have a Washington State type of program. Mike Price took them to 2 Rose Bowls, and Mike Leach took them to bowl games in 6 of his 8 seasons there.

Price also put 5 QBs in the NFL while at Wazzu. Larry Smith and Dick Tomey put no QBs in the league. Actually, only one UA QB in the PAC era has ever taken a snap in the NFL, and if it wasn't for Matt Scott being such a shitty QB he never would have seen the field at Arizona since he wasn't a "practice player".
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:42 am
ztonyg wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:20 am I'd only rank Washington State and Utah below us (although Washington State seems to have a track record of producing really good NFL players).
I would love to have a Washington State type of program. Mike Price took them to 2 Rose Bowls, and Mike Leach took them to bowl games in 6 of his 8 seasons there.

Price also put 5 QBs in the NFL while at Wazzu. Larry Smith and Dick Tomey put no QBs in the league. Actually, only one UA QB in the PAC era has ever taken a snap in the NFL, and if it wasn't for Matt Scott being such a shitty QB he never would have seen the field at Arizona since he wasn't a "practice player".
I feel like WSU is on our level. Price and Leach had success, but WSU's average is much closer to us.

I think Utah is significantly better than us. I would add Oregon State on our level. Honestly, maybe Colorado currently. I know CO, OSU and WSU have had some historical success we have not, but right now, I think those are the 4 lowest level Pac jobs.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Wow didn't we had a coach that too this program to 5 bowl game out 6 season and alot of other accomplishment? Oh i forgot that not even important to us but we can talk about this coach on what he did for that school.

And why does it matter that Smith and Tomey didnt put a QB in NFL? Didn't they had good QB during their coaching UA?
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

As a Cats fan, feel a tiny bit better about the hire today. Still seems odd to hire somebody from out of left field when we had other candidates with ties to the school, but who knows.

But pretty much the consistent feedback I've gotten from out of state friends who don't follow UA football or any of these coaching candidates is: sounds like an offensive guru, which is what most kids want now, UA needs excitement to get relevant again.

Maybe some kids will look our way with his NFL experience and connections, he was a senior offensive assistant with Sean McVay on the Rams with that incredible year they had. Knows tons of nfl and college coaches. His coordinators are gonna be key to his success both building the program and building more ties to the community. I have no doubt he's a good x's and o's guy, and hopefully he can create a fun environment like Brennan has created at SJSU. Kids buy into that. Tired of the super dictatorial style some coaches pull. Really hope Fisch doesn't attempt any "Patriots Way" crap, that only works if you're Bill Freakin Belichick. Be your own man, foster your own open and accessible and positive program. Patricia was a disaster on the Lions trying to pull that stuff, walking into every meeting yelling Everybody shut the f up type stuff. Turns everybody off. We'll see if he really really does put his actions where his mouth in in terms of recruiting. No doubt the guy can interview well.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Lets see:

1) 90% of the board (the same 90% who thought Sumlin was a great hire) think Fisch is a terrible choice

2) Chief thinks he's a terrible choice

3) Hansen thinks he's a terrible choice

I'm liking Fisch more and more! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:32 pm Lets see:

1) 90% of the board (the same 90% who thought Sumlin was a great hire) think Fisch is a terrible choice

I'm liking Fisch more and more! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My track record is terrible. This is true.

I have no idea whether Fisch will be good. And neither does anyone else. I don’t mind taking a flyer on someone early in their career. I do mind taking a flyer on someone with a career trajectory like his.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

He has shown he is a job hopper and will be gone at his earliest opportunity, win or lose.

I see people say he is/should be a good X's and O's coach. But where has he shown that, really?

The whole "search" process has been a sham. The process sucks, the hire sucks (because of the sham process). IF the searchprocess had been honest, Fisch would never have been hired. He simply did not meet the criteria that had supposedly been set.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:04 pm

I feel like WSU is on our level. Price and Leach had success, but WSU's average is much closer to us.

I think Utah is significantly better than us. I would add Oregon State on our level. Honestly, maybe Colorado currently. I know CO, OSU and WSU have had some historical success we have not, but right now, I think those are the 4 lowest level Pac jobs.
We suck more than any of these programs.....significantly.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:58 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:04 pm

We suck more than any of these programs.....significantly.
So you'd be willing to argue that Arizona is the worst job in the Pac 12 (so arguably one of the worst in the Power 5 outside of Kansas)?
Last edited by ztonyg on Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

So edgy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I hated the Sumlin hire from the get go, and I hate the Fisch hire too.

You forgot to add, Robbins loved Sumlin, Robbins loves Fisch.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I took a stroll around some of the boards where Fisch coached (UCLA, Michigan, and Miami) and most of the posters had nice things to say about him.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:57 pm I took a stroll around some of the boards where Fisch coached (UCLA, Michigan, and Miami) and most of the posters had nice things to say about him.

yeah but was he around any of those places long enough for people to get tired of him?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I just spoke with a friend who works at the UA........The UA administration was speaking with Fisch BEFORE the asu game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well the only guy that mattered was Dickhead Robbins
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:56 pm I just spoke with a friend who works at the UA........The UA administration was speaking with Fisch BEFORE the asu game.
Is that 100% confirm thou of your friend that work at UA because could be just all speculated.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Has he ever recruited anyone?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:03 am Has he ever recruited anyone?
He coached at Minnesota, Michigan, Miami, and UCLA so I'm going to assume yes.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I know he is some sort of qb guy, wasn’t sure how much recruiting he was involved in
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Like if I needed several pictures of flat chested elderly women, I’m not sure if azgreg is my go to source.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:40 pm Like if I needed several pictures of flat chested elderly women, I’m not sure if azgreg is my go to source.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

That’s why I ask
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:34 pm

So edgy.

I'm with you on this. I remember hearing about the Tomey hire and I was not fan. I thought Makevic was a good hire and he was a disaster. I was indifferent about Stoops and he was actually a pretty good coach that pulled the program out of the dumpster and made them competitive. I was on board with both RR and Sumlin. My record with how I felt about certain hires and how they did isn't to good. I was not on board with Fisch but a few days later and thinking about my past thoughts on coaches and the fact that Hansen doesn't like him, I'm thinking he might turn out pretty darn good. I'll give him a chance.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:01 pm
ByJoveByJingle wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:34 pm

So edgy.

I'm with you on this. I remember hearing about the Tomey hire and I was not fan. I thought Makevic was a good hire and he was a disaster. I was indifferent about Stoops and he was actually a pretty good coach that pulled the program out of the dumpster and made them competitive. I was on board with both RR and Sumlin. My record with how I felt about certain hires and how they did isn't to good. I was not on board with Fisch but a few days later and thinking about my past thoughts on coaches and the fact that Hansen doesn't like him, I'm thinking he might turn out pretty darn good. I'll give him a chance.
This is how u feel....but that is the only choice we have
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:56 pm I just spoke with a friend who works at the UA........The UA administration was speaking with Fisch BEFORE the asu game.
Well yeah, Sumlin was getting fired regardless of the outcome of the ASU game, and Bobby loves him some Jedd.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Anybody notice that he has been our coach for almost a week and not one kid has pulled his name from the portal.

I would have thought he would have talked to those kids early on and maybe he did snd their exit is even more telling. Or maybe he didn’t and that tells us something else
prh

Post by prh »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:21 pm Anybody notice that he has been our coach for almost a week and not one kid has pulled his name from the portal.

I would have thought he would have talked to those kids early on and maybe he did snd their exit is even more telling. Or maybe he didn’t and that tells us something else
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like he's got so much other work to do (assembling staff, getting to current players, hitting transfer portal), that spending time on kids with 9 toes out the door is just not very effective. Gotta think he'd rather bring a kid in from elsewhere than try to get guys who already told their teammates they were out.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:21 pm Anybody notice that he has been our coach for almost a week and not one kid has pulled his name from the portal.
Probably not an official transfer, but Chief's boy Doyle is returning after being expected to transfer out. More so due to Gunnell and RhettRod leaving instead of Fisch getting hired I imagine.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well you are right Merk. I should have said guys that made a difference
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:40 pm Well you are right Merk. I should have said guys that made a difference
Ouch!!!! :D
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:40 pm Well you are right Merk. I should have said guys that made a difference
Which one made a difference last year?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Haha so true. Hate to see Berryhill and Joiner go.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Did anyone catch the halftime interview last night with Yogi Roth?

Jedd was pronouncing how great a staff he will be selecting in the next few days or so. This will be the first indication whether this guy may turn some heads or if he's just another smoke blower.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:21 am Did anyone catch the halftime interview last night with Yogi Roth?

Jedd was pronouncing how great a staff he will be selecting in the next few days or so. This will be the first indication whether this guy may turn some heads or if he's just another smoke blower.
We'll see. I doubt anyone gets asked that and says they intend on putting together a lackluster staff that is filled with lazy idiots.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Does anyone have an analysis on whether Arizona overpaid for Fisch? How much is he being paid vs. comparable coaches? If Arizona were going to low ball for a coach, how much should it have paid? How much would Arizona have to have had to pay Brennan, Salave'a, or Niumtalaolo(sp?)? I don't have the motivation to do the research but I feel like they overpaid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UALoco wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:06 pm Does anyone have an analysis on whether Arizona overpaid for Fisch? How much is he being paid vs. comparable coaches? If Arizona were going to low ball for a coach, how much should it have paid? How much would Arizona have to have had to pay Brennan, Salave'a, or Niumtalaolo(sp?)? I don't have the motivation to do the research but I feel like they overpaid.
I'm not hating, but I don't think any Pac school has hired someone with a comparable resume.

Niumatalolo might have required the same or more, given his Navy salary. Brennan was making less than $700,000 a year, so I feel like we could have gotten him on a significantly better deal than Fisch.

Like I feel completely comfortable saying we probably could have gotten Brennan for 2 mil a year and kept an extra 600-800k in the assistant pool. This is only one of many reasons I dislike the Fisch hire.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well they only bid against themselves as he didn’t have a market for his head coaching services. He has to be overpaid
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And yet Brennan signed an extension with SJSU for less than a million per year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:31 pm And yet Brennan signed an extension with SJSU for less than a million per year.
That's why I'm basically 100% certain we could have gotten him for 2 mil a year with a low buyout for termination.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Didn't catch whole interview with Gambo, but one memorable quote by Fisch is its easy to recruit to U of A.
Also, stated that by recruiting California at Michigan, one yr at UCLA and LA Rams, that he's been in on the West Coast for 5 of the last 6 yrs.
Delusional comes to mind.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ramcat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:51 pm Didn't catch whole interview with Gambo, but one memorable quote by Fisch is its easy to recruit to U of A.
Also, stated that by recruiting California at Michigan, one yr at UCLA and LA Rams, that he's been in on the West Coast for 5 of the last 6 yrs.
Delusional comes to mind.
Uhh, Arizona had the #27 class in 2008 and the #19 class in 2006. Those are the only years in the last 15 years we've been in the top 30 nationally.

I would not classify it as easy to recruit here.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Someone needs to school him quickly otherwise my man is fucked. He’s going to have to work harder maybe than he ever has to recruit high level talent and if he doesn’t..., Dead Fish.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?