Jedd Fisch- Traveling Used Car Salesman / Coach For Hire

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

DrWildcat

Re: Jedd Fisch

Post by DrWildcat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:34 pm I don’t see how it’s better with terrible o-line play to pass the ball. At least if you run it you can stop your already hurt QB from taking hits that might put a walk-on in his shoes.

Look, I just don’t think Fisch has put us in the best position to win a game at all this season. Not with his game plan and not with his in-game adjustments. You can try and convince me otherwise by pointing out specific plays or a sequence of plays, but I think the knee jerk reaction is to defend the guy after a win. And I get it, but nothing that I saw or has been said in his defense has convinced me that Jedd knows what he’s doing.
I wasn't intending to argue that Fisch is a good play caller, I have stated before that I think Fisch should give up play calling duties. I just thought your initial comment in this case was nitpicky and decided to give a plausible alternative.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:51 am Win or not, Jedd Fisch is still an awful offensive coach just like every stop he has ever made. Anyone saying otherwise is just in denial. I do think he could turn this thing around if he give up his play calling duties and gets someone who actually knows what they are doing.
I think you didn't like the hire from the beginning and you're going to stand your ground with it no matter what. I don't know if you really considered the reality of their offensive situation. Three quarterbacks and one doesn't know the offense and the other two have talent but they're projects and not seeing the field or figuring things out yet. After trying both Cruz and Plummer with not so good results ( didn't matter what play was called they weren't picking up the blitz) It gave the other man a few more weeks to learn the offense and he's moving the ball and goes down with an injury. Now its Cruz again and he is finally starting to see things better but not great. Again you can't just send in a play, you have to send in a play you think he can handle. Now he goes down and next man up, Plummer again. We saw some hope
with him against Washington but still you have to scale it way back on the plays. He gets hurt against Cal. but comes back, banged up shoulder and stitches in his throwing hand and you have to give him plays he can handle. I think that shoulder bothered him a lot more then he let on. Not to mention our offensive line as beat to heck. I'm not sure how much of your opinion is based on reality and how much is based on because you want it to be so you can be right.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I would have to know more about defensive alignments, plays, strategies, etc, and I would have to be there seeing what they see, before I would know if they were calling the right plays or not. I'm sure he makes mistakes, but I find it hard to believe, given his experience, that Fisch is clueless.

Seems like both AZ schools are trying to rebrand themselves as NFL feeders.

Perhaps he is too used to coaching highly experienced, fundamentally sound professional players, and needs to realize these players can't do what he expects and needs to dumb it way down.

RR could probably put together a more effective offense with this years players, but like OU in the 80's, you will never attract an NFL bound QB.

Maybe it's a catch 22.

Do you immediately implement the system you believe in and what you want to recruit to, or keep some of what the players can already run?

If he had taken over from RR, it might have been a better strategy to slowly change, continue to run a zone read option while recruiting the right players for a pro set.

Under Sumlin and Mazzone, there may have been nothing worth keeping.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

His last two stints in which he was in charge of an offense, he got Jim Mora fired and gave the Jaguars the NFLs worst defense in back to back years (the jumped to 14th the following year with the same core). So yeah, he may have offensive experience but that doesn't mean much when you weren't to good at your job to begin with. And, no I am not a Jedd Fisch hater but it is clear he is not an offensive genius just because he worked for 90 different coaches, there will be and have been growing pains. Maybe he learns to manage a game a little better, but I personally think he should stick to what he is best at, selling the program while more qualified people do the real work.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Maybe. I don't even know enough to argue that point.
The only offense I even think I understand a little is the wishbone.

Regardless, as for any assessment of this staff, I'm throwing this year out completely. I may be more critical next year.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Well, I still like a lot of the things Fisch did in the offseason, but this year is a miserable failure. I really expected Fisch and his staff to get more out of these guys than Sumlin did. I thought they could win 4 games. I never played football. Don't know much about the nuts and bolts. A lot of online posters say he sucks and his play calling sucks. I wouldn't know, I just know the results suck. Perhaps Sumlin's wreckage was just uncoachable.
Defense shows a lot of promise and we've built teams on that before.
I wonder if he thinks we're set on QB with MCloud, Cruz and Plummer.That Fifita kid who is enrolling early is supposed to be a hotshot, but he's listed at 5-10'. which means he's probably 5-8".
Spencer Rattler is available, but he won't come here and I think he may be an attitude problem.
Rich Rod could build better college offenses, but he won't get real QB's, just running backs who are deluded into thinking they can, so they come to get tackled 30 times a game before they inevitably get injured.
Both Fisch and Herm think they can turn their program into NFL feeders, but so far Fisch's Pro style offense is no safer for QB's than Rich Rod's.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If we can have the same kind of defense as this year and simply just improve the o line and have healthy QBs, we could easily be a 4+ win team. Not that that's the goal, but any improvement from there would mean we could be at least respectable
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

ASUHATER! wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:06 am If we can have the same kind of defense as this year and simply just improve the o line and have healthy QBs, we could easily be a 4+ win team. Not that that's the goal, but any improvement from there would mean we could be at least respectable
I think 4 wins would mean we suck....a little less.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That's about all we can hope for in year 2
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I still have hope for Jedd.

But I'm a longtime Cubs fan... I have a lot of patience.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Since we're going to most likely be 1-11 this year, 4 wins next year would definitely be a good sign.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Definitely feels like we are now officially a year behind on the rebuild schedule.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

We can always hope for a bigger than expected jump in year 2. We'll see if the foundation he claims to be building is sound. "trust the process" but year 3 better be the New Mexico Underwear bowl or something.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AV8RCAT wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:35 am We can always hope for a bigger than expected jump in year 2. We'll see if the foundation he claims to be building is sound. "trust the process" but year 3 better be the New Mexico bowl or something.
Why would anyone expect a significant improvement next year??? Fischs first recruiting class will be (mostly) redshirting next year. HIs first class won't be playing until 2023. His first recruiting class won't be upperclassman (junior year) until the 2025 season.

Rebuilding a college football program is a long process. Fisch will be playing with Rodriguez/Sumlins meager recruiting classes next year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If he doesn’t fix the OLine fast and like in the off season we will struggle mightily next year as well.

We lead the league in plays run and are pretty good in TOP but we can’t run it effectively in the red zone and couple that with head scratching play calls down there and you can see why we are dead last in red zone efficiency.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:49 am
AV8RCAT wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:35 am We can always hope for a bigger than expected jump in year 2. We'll see if the foundation he claims to be building is sound. "trust the process" but year 3 better be the New Mexico bowl or something.
Why would anyone expect a significant improvement next year??? Fischs first recruiting class will be (mostly) redshirting next year. HIs first class won't be playing until 2023. His first recruiting class won't be upperclassman (junior year) until the 2025 season.

Rebuilding a college football program is a long process. Fisch will be playing with Rodriguez/Sumlins meager recruiting classes next year.

He will mine the transfer portal and might pick up some immediate help. I'm sure he will start a freshman if he is the best option, and another off season will benefit the others. With more time learning and practicing, some will emerge as better than the current starters.

"Significant improvement" would be winning 4 to 5 games. I don't think that's impossible.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Thinking and hoping Heeke and Bobbie aren't renewed, which would likely make 2024 a critical year for Fisch, if he makes it that far. New President and AD, might want their guy particularly if AZ is still wallowing at the bottom of the conference, which I think is likely.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wasn’t Bobby Boobins already extended?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Yes. Yes he was

Bear Down
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:55 am Wasn’t Bobby Boobins already extended?
June 24'
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Robbins was proven to have zero accountability. U of A and other public universities generally have fallen into autocracy.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

ramcat wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:51 am Thinking and hoping Heeke and Bobbie aren't renewed, which would likely make 2024 a critical year for Fisch, if he makes it that far. New President and AD, might want their guy particularly if AZ is still wallowing at the bottom of the conference, which I think is likely.
I think it unlikely. Fisch is recruiting well, he has held this team together week after week. The defense is better than it has been for a long time. If we can improve the secondary against the big play, they will win us some games. Even Plummer has turned out to be a gamer. With 2 returning QB's working hard to unseat him, I think it's realistic that this off season will produce a significant improvement in offense as well.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Think it unlikely that Heeke and Robbins are gone?
Even with improvement, Fisch might average 4-5 wins over next couple years, if new AD and President come in with zero ties to Jedd Lasso, doubt that will be enough for them to not to want their own guy.
That's why I said I thought 24' would be critical in that scenario, get off to similar start and the seat will be white hot.
Last edited by ramcat on Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

I think it unlikely we will be wallowing at the bottom of the conference. We won't be going to the Rosebowl, but the New Mexico bowl doesn't sound too far out of reach. A lot can happen in 2 years.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Its not like the usual bottom feeders haven't improved as well like Oregon St, and Washington St
Don't see more than a couple conference wins a year most likely, which won't cut it if new Administration is in place.
Coming in with next to no expectations was perfect for Fisch, let's see what happens as that ramps up.
He's not a guy that tends to stick around in his jobs, so it's possible as well, that as the going gets tough, Fisch gets going else where.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ramcat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:19 am He's not a guy that tends to stick around in his jobs, so it's possible as well, that as the going gets tough, Fisch gets going else where.

He sure doesn't. Just a head scratcher why anyone would hire him as HC.

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Fisch came in with a plan. I haven’t seen it, but it seems that he’s focusing on personal and physical development for each individual player. He’s selling that, not wins and loses.

It looks like it’s working. The team is playing with pride, not quitting like last year. The strides the defense has made has been unbelievable.

The team went blow to blow with Utah and lost by 9.

I think this trajectory can carry over to next year and we’ll really surprise some people.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:39 am
ramcat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:19 am He's not a guy that tends to stick around in his jobs, so it's possible as well, that as the going gets tough, Fisch gets going else where.

He sure doesn't. Just a head scratcher why anyone would hire him as HC.

Playing 6 Degrees of Jedd Fisch could be fun. I bet we can get to Knute Rockne in 5.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Utah was in classic position of looking to next week's game against the Ducks. Barely beat Cal, missing a third of their team or more.
Next year they got Miss St, and San Diego St out of conference, but probably get past North Dakota St., though they're no slouch winning their conference again.
Thinking 3 maybe 4 wins tops, if 2023 isn't much better Fisch's seat will be in a frying pan.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Assistant coaches move around all the time. It's not an indicator of being a bad coach.

Nick Saban:
1973–1974 Kent State (GA)
1975–1976 Kent State (LB)
1977 Syracuse (OLB)
1978–1979 West Virginia (DB)
1980–1981 Ohio State (DB)
1982 Navy (DB)
1983–1987 Michigan State (DC/DB)
1988–1989 Houston Oilers (DB)
1990 Toledo
1991–1994 Cleveland Browns (DC)
1995–1999 Michigan State
2000–2004 LSU
2005–2006 Miami Dolphins
2007–present Alabama

Urban Meyer:
St. Xavier HS (1985) Defensive backs coach
Ohio State (1986–1987) Graduate assistant
Illinois State (1988) Outside linebackers coach
Illinois State (1989) Quarterbacks coach & wide receivers coach
Colorado State (1990–1995) Wide receivers coach
Notre Dame (1996–2000) Wide receivers coach
Bowling Green (2001–2002) Head coach
Utah (2003–2004) Head coach
Florida (2005–2010) Head coach
Ohio State (2012–2018) Head coach
Jacksonville Jaguars (2021–present) Head coach

James Franklin:
1995 Kutztown (WR)
1996 East Stroudsburg (DB)
1996 Roskilde Kings (OC)
1997 James Madison (WR)
1998 Washington State (TE)
1999 Idaho State (WR)
2000–2004 Maryland (WR/RC)
2005 Green Bay Packers (WR)
2006–2007 Kansas State (OC/QB)
2008–2010 Maryland (AHC/OC/QB)
2011–2013 Vanderbilt
2014–present Penn State

Lance Leipold:
1987 Wisconsin–Whitewater (QB)
1988 Wisconsin–Whitewater (WR)
1989 Doane (assistant)
1990 Wisconsin–Whitewater (assistant)
1991–1993 Wisconsin (GA)
1994–2000 Nebraska–Omaha (assistant)
2001–2003 Nebraska (assistant)
2004–2006 Nebraska–Omaha (AHC/OC)
2007–2014 Wisconsin–Whitewater
2015–2020 Buffalo
2021–present Kansas

Mack Brown:
1973–1974 Florida State (student/WR)
1975–1977 Southern Miss (WR)
1978 Memphis State (WR)
1979 Iowa State (WR)
1980–1981 Iowa State (OC)
1982 LSU (QB)
1983 Appalachian State
1984 Oklahoma (OC)
1985–1987 Tulane
1988–1997 North Carolina
1998–2013 Texas
2019–present North Carolina
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Get that, but in your example, Saban 13 employers 47 yrs, Meyer 9 in 36, Franklin 12 in 20, Leipold 6 in 34, Brown 10 in 47. Fisch is 15 in 24 with last being QB coach for Cam which was a disaster, and only being hired at AZ as HC because of Bobbie or likely an Asst somewhere else.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Seeing as he is here for at least a couple of years, I'm going to choose to give him a chance rather than be negative and miserable. I know people do that as a defense against disappointment, but I would rather enjoy some football even if I get disappointed. If I was like some of you, I wouldn't even follow UA football.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Actually, it's been fun and funny! Enjoying watching the farce thus far, lol. Have seen some good stuff primarily from the defense. Holding back the team as much as anything has been Fisch play calling and management of offense. Think he's over his head, but do think the team has played hard. Makes you wonder if they hired somebody who wasn't a drag on the offense maybe they'd have a few to 4 wins.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I've never seen a team be this unsuccessful and just never give up.

I'm willing to be optimistic about the future with Fisch.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

ramcat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:49 pm Actually, it's been fun and funny! Enjoying watching the farce thus far, lol. Have seen some good stuff primarily from the defense. Holding back the team as much as anything has been Fisch play calling and management of offense. Think he's over his head, but do think the team has played hard. Makes you wonder if they hired somebody who wasn't a drag on the offense maybe they'd have a few to 4 wins.
Who are you and why should anyone think you have a clue what you're talking about? I'm sure Fisch knows more about football than you ever will, but maybe a guy like you just gets some stupid satisfaction from shitting on everything.

Have fun with that.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:04 pm
ramcat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:49 pm Actually, it's been fun and funny! Enjoying watching the farce thus far, lol. Have seen some good stuff primarily from the defense. Holding back the team as much as anything has been Fisch play calling and management of offense. Think he's over his head, but do think the team has played hard. Makes you wonder if they hired somebody who wasn't a drag on the offense maybe they'd have a few to 4 wins.
Who are you and why should anyone think you have a clue what you're talking about? I'm sure Fisch knows more about football than you ever will, but maybe a guy like you just gets some stupid satisfaction from shitting on everything.

Have fun with that.
Lolol!! Don't get frantic man, wtf? Never said I knew more than him did I?
The record speaks for itself. Just sharing my opinion dude. You know, sort of what a board is for.
My last post I positively recognized "some good stuff" mainly with the defense, so I'm shitting on everything? Haha, you sound like you're Fisch's want to be BFF.
At this point Brown looks more the part of a Head coach than Fisch.
Last edited by ramcat on Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The team is 1-8 but saying anything negative about Jedd Lasso is simply not acceptable to some people … for some reason I will never understand.

Jedd wanted this job. No one knows how he got it, but here we are: Him making millions of dollars and being accountable and responsible for the results on the field.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And the only Arizona head coach to lose to NAU in anyone's living memory. There is a reason why only 15,000 people are going to the games.

But take care of ASU and all is forgiven.

Until next season.

Don Brown needs an extended contract though. Defense hasn't been this good since the Mark Stoops era.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:40 pm And the only Arizona head coach to lose to NAU in anyone's living memory. There is a reason why only 15,000 people are going to the games.

But take care of ASU and all is forgiven.

Until next season.

Don Brown needs an extended contract though. Defense hasn't been this good since the Mark Stoops era.
Yep. With what I've seen of ASU, Cats could make it close, doubt the win but this rivalry has had some surprises.
Pressure all on ASU as they'll be favored by double digits most likely. Cats Bowl game.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

There are things you can point to that show he's probably not a very good coach. I'm just pointing out that moving around a lot as an assistant isn't one of them.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

azgreg wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:09 pm There are things you can point to that show he's probably not a very good coach. I'm just pointing out that moving around a lot as an assistant isn't one of them.
Got it. Does seem that he's for the most part, moved sideways, and think if not for Bobbie, that trend would have continued.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

ramcat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:22 pm
AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:04 pm

Have fun with that.
Lolol!! Don't get frantic man, wtf? Never said I knew more than him did I?
The record speaks for itself. Just sharing my opinion dude. You know, sort of what a board is for.
My last post I positively recognized "some good stuff" mainly with the defense, so I'm shitting on everything? Haha, you sound like you're Fisch's want to be BFF.
At this point Brown looks more the part of a Head coach than Fisch.
Fair enough, sorry, it's just that I don't if play calling or lack of talent is more of the problem. I'm sure he has good reasons for calling the plays he does, and he surely knows more about what they are capable of then we do and he is seeing in real time what the opponent is doing. I imagine that he would be able to give you a technical answer why he ran the plays. "This defender had been lining up like this and we thought this play had the highest chance of success."
Last edited by AV8RCAT on Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

When Mike Stoops took over, the team played hard through two 3-8 seasons. D looked much improved over the Macko-disaster, but the O? A delay of game coming off a tv timeout was the Canales special! After two years, Stoops had enough, hired Sonny Dykes, and the team went 6-6 the next year.

History is repeating itself. The team stinks, but is playing hard. D is much improved. But the O? The timeout before a silly, trick, failed 2-point conversion try speaks for itself.

The issue is Fisch is the head coach. Maybe he finds a good O coordinator and gives up play calling duties? But that's doubtful. And sorry, but Fisch hasn't shown to be a good offensive coordinator.

It's not just talent. Brown has no talent to work with, and the improvement in the D is noticeable. RichRod took over a 4-win team that struggled to score and broke offensive records. Coaching matters.

If we can win 6 games and make a bowl game in year 3, that's progress. But if we're still seeing the same struggles on O and fail to make a bowl game by year 3, then we should cut bait with Fisch.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Chicat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:31 pm The team is 1-8 but saying anything negative about Jedd Lasso is simply not acceptable to some people … for some reason I will never understand.

Jedd wanted this job. No one knows how he got it, but here we are: Him making millions of dollars and being accountable and responsible for the results on the field.
I just think it's too early to say he is a horrible coach and his efforts are a "farce" Very few were expecting any kind of success this year.
I'm not going to make myself miserable bitching about a coach that isn't going to be replaced anytime soon,
especially since I don't know how much better any coach could have done standing in the smoldering crater Sumlin left behind.

No judgement from me this year. Throw it out and see what happens going forward.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:52 pm When Mike Stoops took over, the team played hard through two 3-8 seasons. D looked much improved over the Macko-disaster, but the O? A delay of game coming off a tv timeout was the Canales special!
The bubble screen! I recall Canales after he was fired said that Stoops rarely let him call a downfield pass play. Get the ball to the WR and let him get the yards after catch.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

When is it a bad play call and when is it just poorly executed, simply because the players suck? Who started with a worse QB situation then we did?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:00 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:52 pm When Mike Stoops took over, the team played hard through two 3-8 seasons. D looked much improved over the Macko-disaster, but the O? A delay of game coming off a tv timeout was the Canales special!
The bubble screen! I recall Canales after he was fired said that Stoops rarely let him call a downfield pass play. Get the ball to the WR and let him get the yards after catch.
Chico loved the bubble screen. It chapped my ass.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:11 pm When is it a bad play call and when is it just poorly executed, simply because the players suck? Who started with a worse QB situation then we did?

That poor walk on QB who came in cold on 3rd and 6, and got his pass tipped and intercepted. That's all on the coach for making that call. How many plays did he get with the 1st team offense in practice? Or the 2nd team? At best the scout team.

100% of all other coaches would have had him hand the ball off or even run a QB draw. Why do almost all football games start with a handoff up the middle?

Answer: To calm the butterflies in the players' stomaches.