Jedd Fisch- Traveling Used Car Salesman / Coach For Hire

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

OSUCat

Re: Jedd Fisch

Post by OSUCat »

Wait, some are complaining about Fisch getting hired by a bigger P5 job? Hasn’t it been like three decades since that last happen? I would take that in a heartbeat. Means Arizona is sucking a little less.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

OSUCat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:35 am Wait, some are complaining about Fisch getting hired by a bigger P5 job? Hasn’t it been like three decades since that last happen? I would take that in a heartbeat. Means Arizona is sucking a little less.
Utah had Urban Meyer for two years. He left for Florida but left Wittingham in SLC. Worked out very well for the Utes. Wouldn't mind if, after another year or two of building, we have a great year under Fisch, he leaves for a top P5 job, and we're left with our Wittingham.

And while Tomey didn't leave, he was courted heavily by Miami. RR was courted by a couple of SEC teams, including Florida and S. Carolina, if I remember correctly. Tomey made the right decision staying. Don't think he was the right cultural fit at the U. Though RR should have bolted, and we could have promoted Rod Smith or Calvin Magee for continuity purposes.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think after this next year he gets a two year extension. I think he see’s his original 5 year contract and this first recruiting class through.

Once he gets us to 8 wins he will be looked at and we will have to pony up to keep him. Of course our job will be looked at differently going forward after what he has done and I also think how we look at coaching candidates will change. These kids/recruits are eating up the pro football background and family vibe.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

OSUCat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:35 am Wait, some are complaining about Fisch getting hired by a bigger P5 job? Hasn’t it been like three decades since that last happen? I would take that in a heartbeat. Means Arizona is sucking a little less.
I'm not complaining. I'm totally fine with it if he stocks some good talent on the way. I've never expected he would be here longer than 3-4 years, but that doesn't mean we can't get a positive from it.

I think I said it above, but I'd be much happier for that than another Sumlin or Stoops where they leave on the heels of a huge losing streak.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:39 am
Utah had Urban Meyer for two years. He left for Florida but left Wittingham in SLC. Worked out very well for the Utes. Wouldn't mind if, after another year or two of building, we have a great year under Fisch, he leaves for a top P5 job, and we're left with our Wittingham.

And while Tomey didn't leave, he was courted heavily by Miami. RR was courted by a couple of SEC teams, including Florida and S. Carolina, if I remember correctly. Tomey made the right decision staying. Don't think he was the right cultural fit at the U. Though RR should have bolted, and we could have promoted Rod Smith or Calvin Magee for continuity purposes.
I don't think RR had a prayer of ever getting the FL job (unless it had been while he was at WVU), and I think I the notion that he was ever offered the So Car job is a coin-flip (at best). IF he was offered and declined, I would bet my life it was because they would not give him a pay raise, or at least not a big enough one.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Listened to some podcast where Gimino mentioned that Arizona Football, for whatever reason, currently has the "it" factor.

The concerns some have, remain. "Fisch has one foot out the door already" "If he doesn't demote himself to recruiting coordinator, it will all be for naught." but that is conjecture.

What we know for sure is that he has seemingly done what no other AZ coach has done, even after their most successful seasons.

Some aspects of timing worked in his favor.

By the time Fisch arrived, the facilities had improved to where they were at least minimally first world. Conference instability gave him opportunities to make some moves.

His outreach, staff hires, tech, and social media savvy, recruiting prowess, PR moves, family feel good blah blah etc have created an atmosphere that recruits seem to be drawn to. Something all staffs try to do, but Fisch seems to have nailed it. Fisch has positioned AZ to be viewed by some as an emerging NFL factory. He has embraced and is out in front to take advantage of the transformative changes happening to college football.

At least for one year, AZ now seems to be viewed as a place that has everything necessary for players to not only reach their goals, but to possibly be part of a unique, deeply satisfying story and ownership in something that emerges onto the football world rather than to be caretakers of something that was built before they were born, while still holding onto and invigorating our modest history and traditions.

You can't really sell USC as a place where you can accomplish something that hasn't been done before. A lot of lower teams can sell that to recruits, but convincing them of the possibility is what it takes.

As highly rated players started to come aboard, others wondered what they saw. Fisch seized on the new willingness of formerly unreachable recruits to consider AZ, to get them down here so staff, players, commits, the whole UA family could convince them this is the place to be. They bonded with the vision and fell in like a line of dominos.

At least for one year, a large class with many highly rated players including transfers, that the traditional powers wanted, chose AZ instead.

Looks enough like a recipe for success, that I'm all in. I'll bet on Fisch getting this program into the top half of the conference before he leaves.

It'll take a lot to be forgiven for NAU, but when you look at the preseason expectations, he didn't underachieve by much, certainly not so much that with his successful rebranding of AZ Football, there should be more pessimism than at the same time under the last 2 coaches.

Guess that's a symptom of the battered fan syndrome.
Last edited by AV8RCAT on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 13 times in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

If Fisch can keep the recruiting momentum going this could be a really good team that has a chance at double digits win a couple years down the road. Of course, this is assuming he learns from his struggles in coaching this past year or is not to big of a man to admit he is not the best man to be the OC and head coach if the struggles do continue.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Harvey Specter wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:15 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:39 am

I don't think RR had a prayer of ever getting the FL job (unless it had been while he was at WVU), and I think I the notion that he was ever offered the So Car job is a coin-flip (at best). IF he was offered and declined, I would bet my life it was because they would not give him a pay raise, or at least not a big enough one.
I don't believe he was offered the Carolina job. Possibly wasn't even a serious candidate, or he was, but we had the better buyout package for his future firing.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Just writing my ass off tonight.
Amusing myself envisioning how next year could go.

It's a different team. Some transfers have won starting jobs, others provide much needed depth. Sheer talent has propelled some freshmen ahead of experienced starters. The coaches have had time to learn to work better together. There are enough players with experience in the system that it runs much smoother, is more productive and players learn more quickly. Practices are more competitive. Everyone has had to up their game.

The team is raw and mistake prone early on, but the talent level and playmaking abilities are noticeably better. Some of Fisch's bad plays begin working. We win one of our OOC games and then surprisingly pick up a couple of conference wins. While the sports media has done some double takes at AZ's recruiting/transfer success, they haven't invested, until with a record of 3-4, we pull off a big upset over a ranked conference opponent. During the telecast, the announcers blather about the players we lured away from them and how unintimidated we are. The "rising phoenix" story goes national, creating a buzz that inspires the team to finish respectably with a win over ASU, a minor bowl game and a head full of steam heading into the recruiting season.

Sept. 3 - at San Diego State L
Sept. 10 - vs. Mississippi State L
Sept. 17 - vs. North Dakota State W
Sept. 24 - at California W
Oct. 1 - vs. Colorado W
Oct. 8 - vs. Oregon L
Oct. 15 - at Washington L
Oct. 29 - vs. USC W
Nov. 5 - at Utah L
Nov. 12 - at UCLA*
Nov. 19 - vs. Washington State*
Nov. 25 - vs. Arizona State W
* = split or sweep

7-5 or 6-6
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Another hint?

"6 or more"
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:07 pm Another hint?

"6 or more"
Six Arizona recruits are in the polynesian bowl.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He's talking about the "or more" part.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Exactly

What a hire Fisch ended up being

70-7 was a huge blessing in disguise

I was wrong about Fisch although I still hate how fuck face Robbins did it
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
aznavcat

Post by aznavcat »

Agree 100% PHXCATS that "70-7 was a huge blessing in disguise." It made it PAINFULLY obvious Sumlin had to go. Maybe he's a nice guy, but he was a horrible HC/leader/motivator/recruiter and anything else a HC is supposed to do.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Kind of funny how the ASSU morons have done the I-10 sign with the scores and the “nothing personal” at the top.

Shows they are even aware of the slogan Fisch uses and soon he will be showing them how personal it really is
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:18 am Kind of funny how the ASSU morons have done the I-10 sign with the scores and the “nothing personal” at the top.

Shows they are even aware of the slogan Fisch uses and soon he will be showing them how personal it really is
That's how they show us that we are insignificant and that their real rivals are USC and Oregon, going to that effort and expense.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

aznavcat wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:24 am Agree 100% PHXCATS that "70-7 was a huge blessing in disguise." It made it PAINFULLY obvious Sumlin had to go. Maybe he's a nice guy, but he was a horrible HC/leader/motivator/recruiter and anything else a HC is supposed to do.
I view it as something that had to happen. Firing Sumlin had to happen and that game eliminated all other options.

Can I just say it staggers me Heeke and Robbins still get any respect after the financial and program disaster they incurred with Sumlin?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:22 pm He's talking about the "or more" part.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:22 pm He's talking about the "or more" part.
Gotcha. Missed that part.

How many spots do we have left for the 22 class?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I didn’t think any but they always seem to work it out
Sid

Post by Sid »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:10 am
Jedd & staff really take recruiting to a whole different level. Refreshing….
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

There were a few uncommitted top OL prospects in that Poly game, lets hope he is closing in on one of them. (Conerly, Iuli, Ioane, Amaama and Matelau)

https://247sports.com/Event/Polynesian-Bowl-2022-80/
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So I read where it’s likely Laie will medical retire but we have Reece, Savaiinea, Stovall, three transfers, Duvall, Hand and Baker besides Fears, Morgan and Donovan back. While who wouldn’t take a sure fire starter I think we need more help at Middle LB
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:58 pm So I read where it’s likely Laie will medical retire but we have Reece, Savaiinea, Stovall, three transfers, Duvall, Hand and Baker besides Fears, Morgan and Donovan back. While who wouldn’t take a sure fire starter I think we need more help at Middle LB
We still badly need help on the OL. One of the recent signees won't be eligible this year (Buford), and the JC guy (Borzon) is a PROJECT with a capital P. His offer list looks like something that RichRod used to recruit (No FBS teams).
Last edited by dmjcat on Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:58 pm So I read where it’s likely Laie will medical retire but we have Reece, Savaiinea, Stovall, three transfers, Duvall, Hand and Baker besides Fears, Morgan and Donovan back. While who wouldn’t take a sure fire starter I think we need more help at Middle LB
We have Roberts, Martin and Manu in the middle. Not sure adding another freshman LB helps much (especially since they would be a fall additions since classes have started) unless you are thinking he is going after a transfer. If Nansen is running a 3-4 type front then maybe I can see the need for another middle linebacker to complete a rotation. We loaded up on edge rushers this class which make me think a 4-3 is the likely primary front.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just think Manu and even Robertson are to small to play inside. They have to take on 300 pound road graters at the second level.

Martin looks good and I know we have Weerts as well but it would be good to have an experienced guy for next year I think.

One thing for sure, we don’t seem to have as many holes as we have had the last few years. This team really has a chance to be much improved
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:13 pm
We still badly need help on the OL. One of the recent signees won't be eligible this year (Buford), and the JC guy (Borzon) is a PROJECT with a capital P. His offer list looks like something that RichRod used to recruit (No FBS teams).
I wholeheartedly agree. I still think OL, DL, LB, and S could still use more talent. OL is still my big one though. Doubt Reece will be ready for the step up, same with Stovall. Loved hearing that Savaiinea looks to be a good one but that is tempered by hearing that Laie is possibly done(probably our best Lineman sadly). Buford and Borzon, as you said, will not be contributors this year. The line will be relying a ton on last year's recruiting class(Divall, Hand, Baker, and Jean) and I am not comfortable with that. Really need another ready made OT transfer IMO.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I get it but who is out there that anyone thinks can step in and start? I haven’t heard of anyone we are looking at that fits that description.

IF we can get a starting lineman I would agree 1000% but I think there are more middle backers who can start for us that could make a difference. That said we have a long way to go and may get another round of transfers after spring ball
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:51 pm I get it but who is out there that anyone thinks can step in and start? I haven’t heard of anyone we are looking at that fits that description.

IF we can get a starting lineman I would agree 1000% but I think there are more middle backers who can start for us that could make a difference. That said we have a long way to go and may get another round of transfers after spring ball

With the way things are now with the Portal an available Transfer could pop up at any minute. All I know is that while Fisch is busting his butt the line will most likely still be a major problem that will hinder us from taking a step up. That is unless I am completely off base with last years recruiting class. Since they were largely Sumlin recruits that is where my lack of confidence stems from.

I do agree LB is an issue, but I am much more confident in our depth there than OL. We do have Roberts, Jason Harris, Triplett, Cage, Bailey, Weertz, Garcia, Fryer Jr, I Johnson, and Malik Reed along with Lane, Martin, Manu, and Transfer Anthony Solomon. That is for only 3 spots unless we use a hybrid look. Only issue I see is that other than Johnson, Lane, Martin, and Harris that is a pretty small group of kids. Very young as well beside Roberts, Solomon, and Johnson.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Good we are haggling over one position group rather than several like in past years
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We need to win some games to keep this momentum moving. If we win less than 4 this progress will be halted.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:54 pm We need to win some games to keep this momentum moving. If we win less than 4 this progress will be halted.
I wouldn't be so hard and fast. First, the schedule doesn't have any gimmes. It's unlikely but not impossible we could play solid in every game and go winless.

Second, our most talented players are generally also our least experienced players. There's a degree to which we may have to ride out some growing pains as talent learns. True freshmen can contribute...but we have a lot of guys you'd want being the new kid instead being one of many.

I just want a competitive team where you can see the process working. The reality is it's gonna take additional recruiting and development before it's time where I'll be ready to set predictions.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The line up of speakers is pretty good. I think it has the Seahawks OC, Philadelphia’s special teams coach, Steve Spurrier and McVay. Has to be another home run for the program
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:12 pm The line up of speakers is pretty good. I think it has the Seahawks OC
The one that called a slant pass on 2nd and goal at the 1 with Marshawn Lynch in the backfield with 30 seconds to go in the Super Bowl down 4?
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Say what you want about his coaching but Fisch gets it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Definitely does.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

That's the way to do it Jeddy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jedd Lasso is all about the positivity.

“Believe”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

If Jedd bails early, I'd envy the coach who inherits what he is building.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Just got a voice mail from coach. Translation SW thinks Jeff Fisher is our head coach LOL.

"Arizona Football, head coach, Jeff Fisher. There's never been a better time to join the Arizona Family Football has secured the number one signing class. In fact, men's and women's basketball. Top 10 ft 2000 and 22 new season tickets. And renewals for all sports are on sale. Now, the best way to support all of our Wildcats is by becoming a season ticket holder, renew or purchase your season tickets by May two, secure your sea visit. Arizona Wildcats dot
com."
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:31 am Just got a voice mail from coach. Translation SW thinks Jeff Fisher is our head coach LOL.

"Arizona Football, head coach, Jeff Fisher. There's never been a better time to join the Arizona Family Football has secured the number one signing class. In fact, men's and women's basketball. Top 10 ft 2000 and 22 new season tickets. And renewals for all sports are on sale. Now, the best way to support all of our Wildcats is by becoming a season ticket holder, renew or purchase your season tickets by May two, secure your sea visit. Arizona Wildcats dot
com."
.500 season clearly incoming.

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Jedd had a good offseason recruiting, will be interesting to see how we start this year. One thing is last year, as a first year coach, his in-game coaching decisions and time management were pretty poor at times. Sometimes egregious entry level stuff. I'll give him a pass for year one, but hopefully he found some time this winter to run ~10,000 Madden-like simulations of the last 5 minutes of a half to figure when to call timeouts, which plays to call given down, distance, score, and remaining timeouts, etc. Improving that alone could be worth a win this season.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I hope the assistants pool grew larger as well. No doubt this was a no brainer as he has done an excellent job.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

But what's the buyout for each party? I guess the UA owes him 50% if fired without cause like the other head coaches.

But how much does it cost Fisch to leave? He hasn't stayed at any job more than 3 years has he?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I wouldn't be surprised if we win like 9 games somehow next year that Fisch bolts to some bigger job
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:59 pm But what's the buyout for each party? I guess the UA owes him 50% if fired without cause like the other head coaches.

But how much does it cost Fisch to leave? He hasn't stayed at any job more than 3 years has he?
How many head coaching jobs has he left?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:21 pm
Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:59 pm But what's the buyout for each party? I guess the UA owes him 50% if fired without cause like the other head coaches.

How many head coaching jobs has he left?
Pretty hard to leave a job you never had.