Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

arizonawildcats

Re: Jedd Fisch

Post by arizonawildcats »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TL;dr
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

arizonawildcats wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:47 pm
Fuck off you lying sack of shit. You think we're dumb enough to keep believing your bullshit? Hope you freeze to death up there.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Is Fisch worth $9 million a year? Can't blame him for tripling his salary for the same job. With Fifita as a starter, he's 7-1. With de Larua, sub .500. Fisch also has no D-Coordinator right now.

I agree that this sucks for fans like us. It's the beginning of the end for all programs not in the SEC or B1G. Why stay at Arizona if a SEC or B1G program can pay you 3X? Goes for coaches and players now.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Jedd’s hiring at UDub - initially turning it down, then reconsidering after big improvement in $$$$ offer, and the reputation of the Huskies, really reminds me of the recruitment of CSM to Arizona.

I doubt that any of us would, in the prime of our careers, turn down a relatively similar opportunity.

He was great for Arizona.

And, given the breakup of the Pac-12, I think this is different than Larry Smith leaving - what I resented then was that Smith jumped to a conference opponent - IMNSHO, that was unforgivable! IMNSHO, this circumstance is different

As if class or integrity remain at all, he should fefuse any Arizona transfers - but, I expect exactly the opposite - not just Fifita, but Williams too…
Last edited by pc in NM on Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Hire Brennan Carroll and keep rest of staff intact. Bring on Daddy Pete as an advisor. Let Fisch flounder in the wet dreary Northwest while Pete moves to Sunny Tucson.

In reality, screw college athletics. What a disaster zone and barely worth even giving a shit about anymore. That empty tweet by Fisch says it all about how terrible society has become. Post some empty PR while destroying the very program you are trying to pretend you loved so much. Good riddance Jedd! $$$
Last edited by CopaCat on Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:45 pm
arizonawildcats wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:26 pm
Going to laugh so hard when he does the exact same thing to Washington.
He’ll have to bring Fifita with him and hope he stays healthy. Fifita is an excellent college level QB and think his composure and decision making are unique in college.
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
arizonawildcats

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just let me know when you want this moved to Arch-Rivals.

:cry:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Now is good.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:25 pm Just let me know when you want this moved to Arch-Rivals.

About 3 hours ago
-JB
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So what was his buyout? Do we get a stack of cash for him getting poached?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:34 pm So what was his buyout? Do we get a stack of cash for him getting poached?
5.5 million I think
-JB
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Can any of you really blame Fisch? (/sarcasm…kind of). I mean I wouldn’t want to work for Robbins either. Plus, there isn’t an income tax in Washington. I’m on a ship in the Caribbean. I’m sick as shit and it isn’t seasickness. If Fifita and T-Mac go, Robbins needs to be run out of town.
Last edited by Siempre Verde on Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I like Fisch, love what he did over his three years here.

But 7/56? For what he’s shown as a HC? For a team that was in the national championship game (looks at calendar) less than a week ago?

*whistles*

Hope it works out.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I see a couple of things happening.

1. The players commit to their family ethos and band together to make it work.

2. They fracture and split.

I figured he was leaving next year, and Carroll would be his replacement. It it happens this year - I’m cool with it.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Siempre Verde wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:46 pm Can any of you really blame Fisch? (/sarcasm…kind of). I mean I wouldn’t want to work for Robbins either. Plus, there isn’t an income tax in Washington. I’m on a ship in the Caribbean. I’m sick as shit and it isn’t seasickness. If Fifita and T-Mac go, Robbins needs to be run out of town.
He had a sure fire playoff team and could've left next year as a legend in Tucson. So yeah, I do blame him for going out like this.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

After this, I have no more faith in college sports. There’s no loyalty to the community or schools anymore and it’s all just turned into greed and how much money you can get individually. Might as well just be Pro junior sports at this point.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We crossed the Rubicon on college football not being just the NFL minor leagues about 20 years ago. Money and winning are the only important factors. Period. It's a multi-billion dollar business and anyone who thinks it's about the student athletes or traditions or loyalty is stuck in the 80s.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I would like to thank Coach Fisch for dragging the UA out of the hole we were in.

I also do not blame him for leaving.......who among us would turn down a tripling of our salary?? Not to mention going to a new situation
where there is more $$$$$ and more $NIL$ to succeed. Fisch is just looking out for Fisch (nobody else will).

I do blame the greedy bastards at ESPN/Fox Sports (and the Phil $Knights$ of the world) who are driving college football (and basketball) to become the G league of the NFL.

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done at this point but here are a few ideas (feel free to laugh)

Congress needs to pass legislation that will:

1) Kill the transfer portal. If a kid commits to a college he needs to stay. If someone wants to transfer they sit a year
2) Kill NIL. College sports is supposed to be amateur
3) Allow the NFL to draft anyone at anytime..........if a kid wants to go pro after High School let him (as long as the NFL is willing to sign or draft him. Allow all college players to enter the draft or sign with a pro time at any time during their career. This would somewhat neuter the argument that the athletes are being forced to work without pay.
4) Allow all colleges to pay a stipend to the players......but it should be equal across college football
5) Criminalize (at the federal level) boosters offering players money/bribes to sign with their school......we need to get rid of the Phil Knights of the world. If they want to spend their money....do it on a pro team, not a college team.

The question of what to do with the ESPN.s/Fox Sports of the world (and their desire to shrink the # of college teams they have to pay) is a much stickier issue....I just don't know what to do about that. I do know that at the present rate its only a matter of time before the top 35-40 teams will be well compensated, and the rest are going to be relegated to club level status (which is where the UA will fall). Take a good look at Washington State/Oregon State because that is where the UA is inevitably headed to if things don't change.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

dmjcat wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:34 pm I would like to thank Coach Fisch for dragging the UA out of the hole we were in.

I also do not blame him for leaving.......who among us would turn down a tripling of our salary?? Not to mention going to a new situation
where there is more $$$$$ and more $NIL$ to succeed. Fisch is just looking out for Fisch (nobody else will).

I do blame the greedy bastards at ESPN/Fox Sports (and the Phil $Knights$ of the world) who are driving college football (and basketball) to become the G league of the NFL.

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done at this point but here are a few ideas (feel free to laugh)

1) Kill the transfer portal. If a kid commits to a college he needs to stay. If someone wants to transfer they sit a year
3) Allow the NFL to draft anyone at anytime..........if a kid wants to go pro after High School let him (as long as the NFL is willing to sign or draft him. Allow all college players to enter the draft or sign with a pro time at any time during their career. This would somewhat neuter the argument that the athletes are being forced to work without pay.
4) Allow all colleges to pay a stipend to the players......but it should be equal across college football
5) Criminalize (at the federal level) boosters offering players money/bribes to sign with their school......we need to get rid of the Phil Knights of the world. If they want to spend their money....do it on a pro team, not a college team.

The question of what to do with the ESPN.s/Fox Sports of the world (and their desire to shrink the # of college teams they have to pay) is a much stickier issue....I just don't know what to do about that. I do know that at the present rate its only a matter of time before the top 35-40 teams will be well compensated, and the rest are going to be relegated to club level status (which is where the UA will fall). Take a good look at Washington State/Oregon State because that is where the UA is inevitably headed to if things don't change.
Lmao good luck. I got a great chuckle outta this.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:45 pm
dmjcat wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:34 pm I would like to thank Coach Fisch for dragging the UA out of the hole we were in.

Lmao good luck. I got a great chuckle outta this.
Glad I could furnish you a chuckle this evening :lol:

Do you have an alternate plan??
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Excellent decision by Fisch and I don't blame him a bit. He got Arizona as far as it's going to go in football. I wish him the best at Washington and would like to say thank you for a job well done. In the world of college coaching you take care of yourself first. If some have to suffer as a result, oh well. That's just the way it is. Tommy Lloyd will probably follow suit eventually. Arizona is a stepping stone or springboard school for better coaching opportunities elsewhere. I mean who in their right mind is going turn down Washington in football or Kansas in basketball? No one.
arizonawildcats

Captain Obvious wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:50 pm Excellent decision by Fisch and I don't blame him a bit. He got Arizona as far as it's going to go in football. I wish him the best at Washington and would like to say thank you for a job well done. In the world of college coaching you take care of yourself first. If some have to suffer as a result, oh well. That's just the way it is. Tommy Lloyd will probably follow suit eventually. Arizona is a stepping stone or springboard school for better coaching opportunities elsewhere. I mean who in their right mind is going turn down Washington in football or Kansas in basketball? No one.
Why are you here then? Go "support" another team.
arizonawildcats

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Does that mean he is going to Bama?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Chicat wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:25 pm Just let me know when you want this moved to Arch-Rivals.

Can you change name of thread to “who?”?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Scheer does a good job giving us a behind the scenes perspective of what went down. Nothing really earth shattering is revealed, though it's not a good look that our school got fooled for taking Jedd at his word. An AD should be more shrewd than the average fan.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The red pillers say: women treat men the way men treat jobs and men treat women the way women treat money. Jedd dated Tucson for 3 years and dumped us like simps. Happy level up day Jedd. I feel like going incel.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:24 pm
Siempre Verde wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:46 pm Can any of you really blame Fisch? (/sarcasm…kind of). I mean I wouldn’t want to work for Robbins either. Plus, there isn’t an income tax in Washington. I’m on a ship in the Caribbean. I’m sick as shit and it isn’t seasickness. If Fifita and T-Mac go, Robbins needs to be run out of town.
He had a sure fire playoff team and could've left next year as a legend in Tucson. So yeah, I do blame him for going out like this.
Make no mistake, I will always regard Fisch in a negative light and now what was going to be my second favorite college program is lost to me because of this (I recently moved to Washington). That said, I’m laying the blame right at the feet of Robbins and my anger will be squarely focused at him because he remains in our universe. Maybe in the past few days, his hands were tied to counteract this, but it was his lack of foresight that brought us to this point. WTF is it ever going to take to get him fired? TBH, this university has lost people more critical to it than a football coach because of Robbins’ hubris and myopic vision. I’m not giving up on my rooting interest for University of Arizona, but I haven’t awakened feeling this gutted as a fan since March 2005. Fisch played us all, but we are pawns. The players got played, but they can move on :(. Robbins got played and he needs to lose his job for it.

At this point, the focus of energy needs to be getting a new coach, keeping as many players as possible, then getting new leadership in the AD and university. I’m just not sure how successfully any of this will occur and it frustrates me.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Siempre Verde wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:00 am
AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:24 pm
Make no mistake, I will always regard Fisch in a negative light and now what was going to be my second favorite college program is lost to me because of this (I recently moved to Washington). That said, I’m laying the blame right at the feet of Robbins and my anger will be squarely focused at him because he remains in our universe. Maybe in the past few days, his hands were tied to counteract this, but it was his lack of foresight that brought us to this point. WTF is it ever going to take to get him fired? TBH, this university has lost people more critical to it than a football coach because of Robbins’ hubris and myopic vision. I’m not giving up on my rooting interest for University of Arizona, but I haven’t awakened feeling this gutted as a fan since March 2005. Fisch played us all, but we are pawns. The players got played, but they can move on :(. Robbins got played and he needs to lose his job for it.

At this point, the focus of energy needs to be getting a new coach, keeping as many players as possible, then getting new leadership in the AD and university. I’m just not sure how successfully any of this will occur and it frustrates me.
Exactly what did Robbins do wrong????

Should he have hired a lesser coach 3 years ago that would not have been so successful????

There is NOTHING that Robbins/Heeke could have done to counteract the $54M contract that Fisch gpt. The University and its boosters can't compete in that universe. Better we focus on fixing the NIL/Transfer portal crap that will allow Fisch/UW to simply buy off our entire starting lineup over the next 30 days.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:42 pm Scheer does a good job giving us a behind the scenes perspective of what went down. Nothing really earth shattering is revealed, though it's not a good look that our school got fooled for taking Jedd at his word. An AD should be more shrewd than the average fan.
The NIL part was interesting, saying Jedd was making promises to kids there was no way he could keep.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:37 pm

Can you change name of thread to “who?”?
Change it to “Dead Fisch”
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:42 pm Scheer does a good job giving us a behind the scenes perspective of what went down. Nothing really earth shattering is revealed, though it's not a good look that our school got fooled for taking Jedd at his word. An AD should be more shrewd than the average fan.
Remember who our AD is?
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

As much as we are all hurt by this. We all new he would leave if a better opportunity came his way. There is no way we can compete with some of the other programs out there.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:55 am
Remember who our AD is?
President Robbins?
CalStateTempe

Re: Jedd Fisch- Traveling Used Car Salesman / Coach For Hire

Post by CalStateTempe »

True A…
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Sheer - "It's gonna get "dark"..." = transfers

Fuck!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:02 am
CalStateTempe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:55 am
Remember who our AD is?
President Robbins?
Neither one lied! There was not one single thing they coulda done to out-compete $7.75 million! UDub woulda bought out any thing, new contract, or not.

Jedd was a GREAT hire. That is undeniable! They deserve credit for that.

Unfortunately, Jedd's a self-serving turd! A lot of great coaches/athletes are self-serving turds. And, they still burn lots and lots of bosses and supporters...

And Sheer alludes to several unfulfilled promises to players that were overdue!

Let's place the blame where its due!

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fishclamps wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:55 am The NIL part was interesting, saying Jedd was making promises to kids there was no way he could keep.

I don't care to listen to the podcast, so what did he say?

School employees such as coaches are not allowed to make guarantees regarding NIL money. They can only help the players negotiate with the NIL collective.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:53 am
Fishclamps wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:55 am The NIL part was interesting, saying Jedd was making promises to kids there was no way he could keep.

I don't care to listen to the podcast, so what did he say?

School employees such as coaches are not allowed to make guarantees regarding NIL money. They can only help the players negotiate with the NIL collective.
Basically Fisch was making promises to players regarding NIL that he shouldn't have been making because it was out of his control. He was also over promising regarding NIL. At Washington they'll have a shit ton of NIL money so he can make all the promises he wants and it wont be a lie.
arizonawildcats

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Shits gonna get so bad
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol…we just got nuked
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:10 pm Lol…we just got nuked
We knew this was going to happen yesterday. Nothing will shock me in the next week or so. It's 2021 all over again
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Didnt think it would be this bad. Head coach and a couple of play makers,

Not the whole staff.

Also I was skiing, so getting back to reality
arizonawildcats

BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

We are right to be pissed but shouldn’t be surprised. After all, I don’t think he stayed at any job more than three years. I just hope that the Peter Principle kicks in for him. I want him to fail miserably at W