Jedd Fisch- Traveling Used Car Salesman / Coach For Hire

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catintheheat

Re: Jedd Fisch

Post by Catintheheat »

Robert A Booey wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:06 pm My friend who went to A&M wants Fisch to be the next coach above all others and I guess a lot of his A&M friends do too.
Robert Robbins bucked the fans choice as head coach for Arizona and hired Fisch. Amazing! He is on the sidelines of every game I've watched. He cares about UA sports. He won't let Fisch go without a fight. And aTm isn't the problem. Interviews aren't only about finding another job, but about making the administration aware that they have a person worth keeping. Fisch is playing his cards right. He can go almost anywhere he wants, but I have a sneaking suspicion he wants UA to offer an extension he can't pass up.

IMO, and this is only speculation, Fisch likes Tucson. He can settle here. It isn't SEC or BIG. But it is Big 12, and we can dominate. If the cards dealt are played the right way. I can see Fisch as staying. Money isn't everything, and Fisch can find fame in Tucson.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Discussion about Fisch on an A&M board:

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3423159/1
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Our AD better be groveling to get Fisch to stay since odds are Atm is gonna offer a dump truck of cash
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:11 pm Our AD better be groveling to get Fisch to stay since odds are Atm is gonna offer a dump truck of cash
That isn't guaranteed to work.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I hear Jimbo Fisher is available.
Mike Luke's burner account.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

That job is a career killer.

Expectations are way too high.

Hell even Sumlin couldn’t succeed there.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

If A&M wants Fisch, they'll get him. I mean they're paying Fisher 70 million to go away.

Who wouldn't go there when that kind of money is put up?

If Fisch goes, I'm done. I just can't stay as a fan while we rebuild yet again.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Doesn’t have to be a rebuild. There’s a big difference between firing a guy on the way down and replacing a poached coach on the way up.

Could even replace Fisch internally and hardly skip a beat in recruiting. Carrol could get the head job and keep Nansen as DC and I bet a lot of the other coaches would stick and run it back.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

The thing is if they're gonna throw another $100 million after a coach, why wouldn't they be targeting someone like Lanning or DeBoer?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

This is a really good interview with Jedd Fisch, produced by the NFL. They block embedding the video so you have to see it on YouTube. It is about how he runs his problem, including every Wednesday he talks about life skills. If I was choosing a coach to play for I would love to play for Jedd Fisch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1EcmpXA-v4
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Can’t I enjoy Arizona football for more than 10 minutes without the doom and gloom possibility of losing our coach??!!

And before anyone answers - it’s a fucking rhetorical question. :lol: :roll:

Happy Thanksgiving you crazy ass Cat fans!!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Fishclamps wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:43 pm The thing is if they're gonna throw another $100 million after a coach, why wouldn't they be targeting someone like Lanning or DeBoer?
Exactly.

Jedd isn’t a proven commodity yet.

In a year or two….maybe.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Both Sumlin and Fisher had winning overall and conference records and were still fired by aTm.

Who would not want to work there and get bank?

Even if you were ending your career, instead of starting it, you can go there and just cruise like RichRod and Sumlin did at Arizona and get huge payouts when fired.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I don't believe Jedd would leave for another job next year, I wonder if Fifita and McMillan would follow him?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

My A&M friend was saying that Jedd had a video interview and he was the front runner. Then they changed course and went after Mark Stoops. Now Stoops is out of the picture so maybe Jedd is the front runner again. I hope not.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Robert A Booey wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:16 am My A&M friend was saying that Jedd had a video interview and he was the front runner. Then they changed course and went after Mark Stoops. Now Stoops is out of the picture so maybe Jedd is the front runner again. I hope not.
He was the frontrunner, not frontrunner, now frontrunner again. If so then he was never the frontrunner to begin with.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The fan & booster reaction to Fisch would be about the same as it was to Stoops.

You don’t pay Jimbo all that money to go away to hire a guy with 15 total career wins.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

KillerKlown wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:33 am
Robert A Booey wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:16 am My A&M friend was saying that Jedd had a video interview and he was the front runner. Then they changed course and went after Mark Stoops. Now Stoops is out of the picture so maybe Jedd is the front runner again. I hope not.
He was the frontrunner, not frontrunner, now frontrunner again. If so then he was never the frontrunner to begin with.
This could change literally after I finish typing this, but Jedd was never a frontrunner let alone a major contender for the A&M job.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I know you can make bank with that aTm job but dang who would want that job with unrealistic expectations and always looking up to Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, etc…

They really should go with a young builder type but it’s almost a given if will have to be someone who wins the press conference.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:42 am I know you can make bank with that aTm job but dang who would want that job with unrealistic expectations and always looking up to Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, etc…

They really should go with a young builder type but it’s almost a given if will have to be someone who wins the press conference.
Not even just the expectations, but this Stoops thing makes it seem like no one in the AD and higher is even on the same page about anything.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:45 am The fan & booster reaction to Fisch would be about the same as it was to Stoops.

You don’t pay Jimbo all that money to go away to hire a guy with 15 total career wins.

I don't see anyone hiring Fisch after this season. Could just be a flash in the pan, one hit wonder. After all, RichRod had Pat White, and Sumlin had Johnny Football during their most successful seasons. Jedd Fisch has Noah Fifita. I really doubt UA would have gone 9-3 with that turnover/sack machine other QB.

I'm all in on giving Fisch an extension, but I really doubt aTm is going to spend all that money on someone with an overall losing record after paying Sumlin $10M and Fisher $75M to leave. Both Sumlin and Fisher had overall winning records and conference records when fired.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I can't believe Dillingham makes more than Jedd
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

84Cat wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:45 pm I can't believe Dillingham makes more than Jedd
I wonder how the total paid to all staff compares. There was a big deal made about Jedd negotiating some of his pay for a bigger assistant budget.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:45 pm I can't believe Dillingham makes more than Jedd
Well that's about to change.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

That is football. Newer deals always get more plus the shit show asu os in with the ncaa asu had to overpay. It isn't an issue and won't be next week for sure
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Would Jedd take the UCLA job if Scheer is right?
https://www.si.com/college/ucla/footbal ... oon-jf1989
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

He had that job and they went after Kelly.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I heard his wife has allergies, but she is good friends with CTL’s wife.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Good Press!!

https://theathletic.com/5089203/2023/11 ... ign=601983
Arizona’s Jedd Fisch should be Pac-12 coach of the year

TEMPE, Ariz. — Washington coach Kalen DeBoer has the Huskies unbeaten and on the front porch of the College Football Playoff. Oregon’s Dan Lanning has the Ducks in a similar position. Both have done tremendous jobs in the Pac-12’s final season.

But Jedd Fisch should be conference coach of the year.

These awards usually go in one of two directions. To the coach who leads his team to regular-season dominance. Or the coach who exceeds expectations. To leapfrog the first, the second must do something extraordinary.

Fisch has.

No. 15 Arizona on Saturday overpowered rival Arizona State 59-23, a rivalry exclamation point that puts the Wildcats at 9-3 entering bowl season. They went 7-2 in the Pac-12, staying in the hunt for the conference championship game all the way to this final weekend.

As the final seconds ticked at Mountain America Stadium, Arizona players gave Fisch a Gatorade shower — “Yeah, I wasn’t ready for it, they just got me,” he said — his second in as many seasons. (The Wildcats also doused Fisch after last season’s win over the Sun Devils.) Perhaps the worst Power 5 program a couple of years ago, Arizona has a chance to reach 10 wins for only the fourth time in program history.

“I want to say I believed it from the jump,” running back Michael Wiley said, adding that it took a while for him to understand the key quality needed for such a turnaround. “It’s about confidence.”

Asked about Fisch’s influence, safety Gunner Maldonado struggled to find the right words. He settled on belief and consistency.

“He’s been preaching the same stuff since day one,” he said.

Every revival needs a starting point. Arizona’s came in 2020. The Wildcats didn’t win a game during that abbreviated season, losing 70-7 to Arizona State on their home field. That disaster cost Kevin Sumlin his job. A coaching nomad with NFL and college experience, Fisch took over two weeks later, a hire that was not universally embraced.

In his first season, the Wildcats lost their first eight, extending the longest losing streak in conference history to 20 games. They finished 1-11. The next year, Arizona recruited better and went 5-7, beating No. 12 UCLA. Entering this season, the Wildcats were expected to make a bowl game. Fisch focused his preseason conversation on two words: “Earn it.” Earn the conversation.

Instead, the Wildcats played even better, securing their best season since 2014, finishing the regular season with six consecutive wins, four over ranked teams, their longest winning streak since 1998. Because of the transfer portal, quick reversals are not uncommon in this sport. But Arizona is a difficult job. It lives in the shadow of Lute Olson and its basketball program. It doesn’t have much of a tradition. That makes this season all the more remarkable.

After Saturday’s win, Fisch said this with basically a shoulder shrug. He said when Arizona president Robert Robbins and athletic director Dave Heeke interviewed him for the job, he didn’t say he wanted to win four or five games. He had a vision. “If I didn’t think we could win nine games, I wouldn’t have moved my family here,” Fisch said. “That’s what we wanted to do — we wanted to win.”

A strong culture sets the foundation, but success isn’t possible without talent. That’s where Arizona has made the most strides. The offensive line is strong. The defense is much improved. But against Arizona State, the Wildcats had the two best players on the field, and it wasn’t close. Redshirt freshman quarterback Noah Fifita, the Bob Moran Player of the Game, completed 30 of 41 passes for a school-record 527 yards with five touchdowns and one interception.

Receiver Tetairoa McMillan, the quarterback’s best friend, was also brilliant. He made contested grabs and plays on the run. He was mostly unguardable, finishing with 11 catches for 266 yards and a touchdown.

In August, before the start of practice, Arizona receivers coach Kevin Cummings was asked about McMillan, who was about to enter his second college season. The conversation went like this:

Reporter: What is T-Mac’s growth potential?

Cummings: Best receiver in the country.

Reporter: It’s that high?

Cummings, emphatically: T-Mac has the ability to be the best receiver in the country.

Reporter: Does he understand that?

Cummings: He does. And if he doesn’t, we’re going to let him know every day.

The Arizona staff has done a solid job with its messaging. McMillan is not yet the best receiver in the country, but he might be on that path. He finished the regular season with 80 catches for 1,242 yards. Fifita and McMillan should provide a great foundation as the program shifts to the Big 12 next season.

Same goes for Fisch.

The job he has done has not gone unnoticed. National media already have attached his name to the Texas A&M opening. During Saturday’s win, a USA Today columnist suggested on X, formerly Twitter, that Fisch would make a good hire at UCLA should the Bruins move on from Chip Kelly. A year ago, Arizona extended Fisch’s contract through the 2027 season. It might have to do so again.

“That’s up to Dave,” Fisch said, referring to his athletic director when asked about the possibility. “But it sounds good to me. I’m certainly all for it.”
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I mean, he’s my Coach of the Year across all levels of football . . . or really any sport.

But I may be biased. Mainly because I thought he was gonna suck a dead donkey’s ball bag.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:43 am I mean, he’s my Coach of the Year across all levels of football . . . or really any sport.

But I may be biased. Mainly because I thought he was gonna suck a dead donkey’s ball bag.
Damn!! What's next? Heaping compliments on Heeke & Robbins... :shock:

Refreshingly honest, IMNSHO!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If I’m heaping compliments on Heeke & Robbins that’s a sure sign I’ve been kidnapped or joined a cult and I’m desperately reaching out to be rescued.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Blink twice in the hostage film.

We’ll know you’re ok.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

“Life here at the compound is amazing and I’ve learned so much about God and his spiritually anointed messenger Leader Ron. It’s been amazing. God’s love has shined a light on me! Also I’d like to say that Dave Heeke and President Robbins are saints sent straight from heaven…”

Translation- “Send a fucking SWAT team now”
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Regarding Coach Fisch, anyone referring to him as "Jedd Lasso" from this time forward needs to be taken out and shot.........without benefit of blindfold or cigarette.

Bear Down
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ok, why?

I’m guessing you’ve never seen the show? Ted Lasso is a goddamn treasure. If someone referred to me as the “Ted Lasso” of what I do I would take it as a huge compliment.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:21 am Ok, why?

I’m guessing you’ve never seen the show? Ted Lasso is a goddamn treasure. If someone referred to me as the “Ted Lasso” of what I do I would take it as a huge compliment.
Based on the post above yours it seems you might need that Swat Team after all.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CopaCat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:35 am
Chicat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:21 am Ok, why?

Based on the post above yours it seems you might need that Swat Team after all.
I know I’m not the first person to call him Jedd Lasso but I was definitely an early adopter. Maybe I’m the cult leader.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I agree. The comparison is a good one abd a very nice compliment. Would love to hear why someone would think otherwise
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:49 am I agree. The comparison is a good one abd a very nice compliment. Would love to hear why someone would think otherwise
It is a good comparison (in my opinion).

He’s an emotionally intelligent leader who values the people around him and wants to win and build a culture the right way. What’s wrong with that?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Fisch should only be season 3 Lasso at this point. The winner who builds a great team culture that results in success on and off the field. Fisch is no longer season 1 Lasso, the "Fisch out of water" who is out of element and set up to fail.

I have never been happier to be wrong about an Arizona coach. I too thought Fisch was a bad hire. A Stoops redux at best who couldn't coach, and wouldn't be able to recruit well after some early success. Boy was I wrong...and I'm still smiling about it! Fisch had a plan from day one, and watching him, the staff, and the team execute it almost flawlessly has been a total joy to watch. Bear Down!
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Napier's buyout would be $31.6m. The 2nd most of all time (and still $44m less lmao). On the new contract, make the buyout very large. Florida can afford to pay it next year. But also, I will be rooting for Florida next season. Cmon Napier!

I was very wrong about the hire. Glad to be. I was the one on Twitter who committed to donating $2,000 if he ever won 9 regular season games. I would like to buy as many season tickets as possible and donate them to the Boys and Girls Club or any other deserving organizations. If you know of any, please DM me! I will be doing some research and then buying them before next season. Happy to!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Going to be one of the 12 selected by the committee next year! I can feel it.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I have Gator family growing up in the state during the Emmitt Smith years. Florida this year looked a lot like Arizona last year. Number of close games with a big win over Tenn, with a transfer QB and a lot of young playmakers ending up with a 5-7 record. Year zero with Napier was different than year 0 with Fisch because Napier inherited Anthony Richardson. Without AR, Florida would have won 2 or 3 games last year and 5-7 would be seen as an improvement.

Would not be shocked at all if Napier and Florida win 8 or 9 games next year. Even with a more difficult schedule. I hope they do for several reasons.

Florida may be the only school I'm truly worried about Fisch leaving for. Fisch has UCLA ties, but do you really want to coach at UCLA as they enter the B1G next year (assuming Chip is fired)? Or, stay in Tucson and fight for a possible playoff spot? Especially if Napier isn't fired this year, which is highly unlikely. Stay, and Fisch wins 9+ next year, either he ends up back home in Gainesville if Napier falters. Or, he could stay in Tucson long term, and get the stadium named after him. Go to UCLA now, and those doors likely close, and you're struggling to compete with Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, USC, Washington, Oregon...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m going to keep calling him Jedd Lasso. Mainly because I’ve gone from calling him a wanker to absolutely loving the guy.

Shoot me if you must.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The culture he has fostered really makes me proud. I am so happy with winning but seeing the players and assistant coaches enjoying their experience at the UofA means so much.

I marvel at their evaluation skills and I hope these kids who get an offer from this staff realize that these guys are some of the best in seeing NFL worthy talent.

It seems the trust they put in young players builds there confidence and it’s heartwarming the coaches don’t throw any of the young players under the bus(we see you Prime) when they don’t execute well.

If this is a dream just let me sleep because I am enjoying the heck out of it
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I would hope he’d be the highest paid coach in school history. For one thing, coaching salary inflation is insane. For another, it might only take him three more years to be our most successful coach in our history!