Post by azcat49 »

At least after every win my crow goes down a little easier
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Carcassdragger

Re: Jedd Fisch

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think almost all of us here were more than little disappointed with the hire. I'm very, very glad to be wrong and feel bad about much of what was said about this magnificent guy. It's evident that he is very well respected by the nationwide football community. This is shown by all the prominent football folks who agree to talk to and support our players.

This is even more true when I think about Jedd moving his beautiful family here to buy into this university.

Besides what he has built and is still building here, I'm impressed with the basic decency this guy has. He seems to treat staff and players well and certainly carries himself well with the press. I'm hoping he and his family stay a long time and remain bought into our university and Tucson.

It really is a special place. Every time I go, I thank the lord that my parents (both wildcats) were able to help me in going to this university.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Seems that all those places he stopped here and there for two or three years really was used to learn from the best coaches in the business. He seemed to be able to pick the cherries from each one and had an incredible plan on how to build a program.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m just glad I’m in the company of other dumb dummies. ;)

But honestly, if three years ago you were predicting this was a home run hire, I’d have asked you to share who your Ketamine dealer was so I could get some of that good shit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Yep. I was wrong.

Ain’t to proud to admit it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Jedd Fisch was almost as bad of a coaching hire as Tommy Lloyd
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I like my crow served served with some deep fried Fisch. Thought the hire was bad too. Happy to be proven wrong.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

What job is Scheer referring to?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Florida.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Hopefully, somebody doesn't offer him crazy money and he leaves.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Robert A Booey wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:30 pm Hopefully, somebody doesn't offer him crazy money and he leaves.
Robbins made Jedd and Tommy first-time HCs and this goes a long way. We can't, and shouldn't, compete with crazy money, but both coaches are fully invested in UA right now.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

arizonawildcats wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:30 pm
Robert A Booey wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:30 pm Hopefully, somebody doesn't offer him crazy money and he leaves.
Robbins made Jedd and Tommy first-time HCs and this goes a long way. We can't, and shouldn't, compete with crazy money, but both coaches are fully invested in UA right now.
And they both can become legends here.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Back up the brinks truck, and let him build
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Really got to beware of Florida and Arkansas, they'll probably both be looking for coaches and will be backing up the dump trucks of sec money themselves
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think Jedd has integrity and isn't comfortable with the things that are said during new coach searches and interviews.

I'm thinking this may be why he's looked unusually business-like or strained this week.

There must've been at least a feeler interview with MSU.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:21 pm Really got to beware of Florida and Arkansas, they'll probably both be looking for coaches and will be backing up the dump trucks of sec money themselves
Arky?

No fucking way.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Texas A&M?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Nope. Jedd still has a losing record.

No way Ass2Mouth would hire him.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am not worried this round. We are already working on a contract that will pay him over 5m a year.

The Florida job though does worry me. I do think he realizes the difficulty of coaching and recruiting against Bama, Georgia, LSU, Florida St, Miami and the rest of the SEC/ region powers coupled with the lofty expectations at Florida. Hoping he wants to be a legend here and win some championships
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Extremely worried for Florida
Semi worried for Michigan
Non zero worried ucla
Zero worried everyone else
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Zero chance at Michigan.
Sorry, meant less than zero chance at Michigan.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Florida won’t move on from Napier this year. A decent chance Florida upsets FSU at home. Florida gets their QB back and FSU lost theirs.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Perhaps wishful thinking but it was nice to hear in the press conference about selling out games next year. Sounded a bit like Lute ("better get your season tickets now") nearly four decades ago!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:21 pm Really got to beware of Arkansas
Not anymore.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Arky wasn’t a threat.

Why go to a bottom feeder of the SEC? It doesn’t make any sense.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Most big time schools will not take a chance on a coach with a losing record no matter how well he is currently doing. It doesn't win the press conference and if wrong will cost the AD his job. Hopefully Jedd understands the value of the support he has received from the administration when he won 1 game his first year and 5 his second.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I don't know if this is bs but we need to get used to Jedd getting a lot of attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF86ZY4 ... 0A&index=2
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

That is a question, and I can't see Jedd going to aTm. For one who wants to live in College Station. And I think more importantly, opportunities are going to go through the roof, probably after next season. My guess is the NFL is Fisch's goal. I would be shocked if he left after this season. If he can keep the team together and add a few more pieces Arizona has a legitimate chance at the national championship next season. If the team can be kept together, winning the Big 12 is in our grasp, and probably the favorite team next season. Unless it is Florida or the NFL I wouldn't be too concerned. A contract extension is in the works.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:05 pm Fisch's name popping up in a lot of coaching searches:

https://www.si.com/college/michiganstat ... msu-111723

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas- ... 505842.php
I am not concerned about Michigan State or aTm. Neither one are better places to coach than Arizona, and definitely not better places to live. Neither team is at the top of their conference, and I doubt aTm can ever break into the top of the big boys of the SEC. I am not saying that Fisch won't move on, but if he does it would be Florida or the NFL.

Another point to make is he has moved everywhere, and it has to be hard on his family. Tucson is a really cool place to live when you have money and can live in the foothills. Plus, an extension is in the works. I am guessing Fisch would make between 5 and 6 million next season. That is a very comfortable salary in Tucson.

One last point. Fisch will never have the stress he would at big time schools. Or worse at middle of the road schools, with unrealistic expectations.

Do I think Fisch will stay in Tucson over his career. No. But I would be surprised if he was still here in 5 years, if he is treated right.
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

There's a lot of smoke and Texas A&M can (apparently) back up the Brinks truck. Hopefully he decides to stay, but I'm concerned. At least he will have theoretically left us in a better place assuming he doesn't take everyone with him.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

gouacats wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:30 pm There's a lot of smoke and Texas A&M can (apparently) back up the Brinks truck. Hopefully he decides to stay, but I'm concerned. At least he will have theoretically left us in a better place assuming he doesn't take everyone with him.
Why would you want to live in College Station? That is a place where coaches go to die. He isn't their top choice anyway. And I can't see Fisch leaving until after next season. It wouldn't be smart to take the aTm job. He is going to receive a lot better offers.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Catintheheat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:37 pm
gouacats wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:30 pm There's a lot of smoke and Texas A&M can (apparently) back up the Brinks truck. Hopefully he decides to stay, but I'm concerned. At least he will have theoretically left us in a better place assuming he doesn't take everyone with him.
Why would you want to live in College Station? That is a place where coaches go to die. He isn't their top choice anyway. And I can't see Fisch leaving until after next season. It wouldn't be smart to take the aTm job. He is going to receive a lot better offers.
That doesn't matter if they can pay 2-3x what we can

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How can A&M hire anyone after paying Sumlin $10M and Fisher $76M?

But Fisch is #1 on this list, and only has a $6.5M buyout from the UA.

Not sure I would want to coach at A&M. Jimbo had an overall winning record, and a winning record in the SEC.

https://aggieswire.usatoday.com/lists/t ... bo-fisher/

Head coach record: 15-22 (Arizona and one game at UCLA)

Buyout: $6.5 Million

Jedd Fisch’s Arizona record is misleading if you haven’t been paying attention. The longtime NFL assistant coach took over a flailing program in 2021. After just two seasons, the 16th-ranked Arizona Wildcats have shocked the college football landscape. They are 8-3 overall and 6-2 in the last season of the Pac-12.

With Arizona transitioning to the Big 12 in 2024, what more does Fisch have to prove? With vast experience in both the NFL and Power Five, coaches who have faced the Wildcats this season noted the toughest and pro-like readiness his teams present is quite the sell if he indeed garners an interview.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:08 pm How can A&M hire anyone after paying Sumlin $10M and Fisher $76M?
Because they have "fuck you" money.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:56 pm
That doesn't matter if they can pay 2-3x what we can
Money is only one factor when deciding to move. Fisch can do better.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Fisch wants Florida. Going to Texas A&M hurts his chances of going to Florida in many ways
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Get paid at AtM and only have 2 to 3 years to prove your worth or make 5+ mil a year at AZ over a lifetime.
He's not gonna get a 10 mil contract like the last guy because he's unproven.
Of course this is all cope from me.
Mike Luke's burner account.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

With Texas moving to the SEC, A&M is back to being little brother both in status and recruiting. Couple that with Oklahoma and TA&M is about the 7th rated school in the league. It’s about the sane with Michigan St.

Unless he is all about money (which I don’t see) he isn’t going to these two schools. He will give us a chance to back the program fan wise and grow our NIL before Florida calls and then it will be a very nervous time
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

He would literally near triple his current salary there. Texas A&M is a huge threat. They have more NIL money than just about anyone. When you hear Nick Saban complaining about it it is a lot.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It absolutely doesn't matter if you want to live in college station or not. If they can pay you 3x the salary you can live where you want and get a private spaceship ride into work every day. Nowadays coaches just care about $$

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

College Station isn’t the ass-end of the universe some are making it out to be. I plan a lot of media in that market and there is a lot to be said for being pretty much smack dab right in between Austin, Houston, and the Dallas metroplex.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Fisch doesn't strike me as a guy who is only about money. Not too worried about Texas A&M. Fisch will make plenty of money on Tucson, where winning 8 games a year gives you a lifetime contract. At College Station, that gets you fired.

If a real blue blood backs up the Brink Truck, or if Alma mater Florida comes calling, then maybe Fisch goes. But not middle of the pack Michigan State or TAMU. And the Florida job is not going to open this year. Napier has 5 years left on a 7 year contract. And next year, Florida could be real good. They are having a year like we did last year, losing a lot of close games with a younger roster.

We'll see what Fisch does. But It's expect Smith from Oregon State to be on many lists, and If be surprised if he stayed in Corvallis.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:19 pm It absolutely doesn't matter if you want to live in college station or not. If they can pay you 3x the salary you can live where you want and get a private spaceship ride into work every day. Nowadays coaches just care about $$
Making an absolute statement that all coaches care about money is just not true. Mark Few doesn't didn't care about money when he had the opportunity to coach elsewhere. And Arizona returns a team that can win a national championship next season. And they very well may make the playoffs. I don't see Fisch leaving after this season. Maybe next. I don't know his mind. But, being in the Big 12, where he can compete for the playoffs every year is enticing. That won't happen at aTm or Michigan State. I am not convinced that money is everything. I would say family is more important.

I think you are too cynical. Things don't always turn out the way you think. But, time will tell. I think, if treated right, there is a possibility Fisch will stay. Everyone thought Lute Olson would leave for Kentucky.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:37 pm Why would you want to live in College Station? That is a place where coaches go to die.
Kind of sounds like Tucson and the UA doesn't it? Tomey, Mackovic, Stoops, RichRod and Sumlin didn't really have much success after the UA. Only Tomey had an extended experience at SJSU afterwards and was eventually fired.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:55 pm
Catintheheat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:37 pm Why would you want to live in College Station? That is a place where coaches go to die.
Kind of sounds like Tucson and the UA doesn't it? Tomey, Mackovic, Stoops, RichRod and Sumlin didn't really have much success after the UA. Only Tomey had an extended experience at SJSU afterwards and was eventually fired.
I do agree to some extent. But Lute Olson didn't die here. If you look at football, the Cats are going to be able to recruit Texas now. Tomey was not a top level coach. Fisch knows how to manage a program. He picks a top notch staff, his players develop, and can recruit here. Arizona, being out west, doesn't compete for the best recruits in the east. From what I've seen so far, Fisch doesn't need the 5 or 4 star recruits. He is able to develop them because he understands football.

I can analyze, but it is too early to say where Fisch stands as a coach. He paid his dues and knows the game and knows how to evaluate talent. I don't know what that means for Arizona's football future, but Fisch is a gem. The red carpet needs to be rolled out like we rolled it out for Lute Olson. Coaching in the Big 12, where success is far more likely, is important.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

It's a great point that we could very well be the highest ranked BIG12 team and the favorites going into next year. Get Arizona into the playoffs and any job is open. Or stay, and we build a statute in front of the stadium. Not a bad place to be, and good reason for Fische to stay at least one more year.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

My friend who went to A&M wants Fisch to be the next coach above all others and I guess a lot of his A&M friends do too.