Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UofAlum05

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by UofAlum05 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:32 pm
UofAlum05 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:10 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:01 pm
UofAlum05 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:11 pm If I am the Pac, I just walk into Amazon, Hulu, Sling, Netflix, etc. and say lets do a deal. Let's get creative. Lets use highly educated alums from the P12 to make it happen.

Cable is dead and there are so many other ways of viewing games now than just a deal with a network.
We're talking about who features our tier 1 games which are currently split between Fox and ESPN. We need one of those two, or Comcast/NBC or CBS, as a distribution platform. Clearly we can't just have those games on the Pac-12 Network, streaming (poorly) via Sling or Hulu Live.

I think we all understand after this decade of DirecTV-less media rights and "Pac-12 after dark" schedules how important it is to be on the right side of this. Walk into any bar in the country and you'll know that "cable" isn't dead. DirecTV is king because of NFL Sunday Ticket, so we need to be on DirecTV. But on what channel?

ESPN is going to prioritize the SEC now that they hold the entirety of the SEC media rights and are adding Texas and OU - so that removes ESPN/ABC. That leaves Fox, CBS, and Comcast/NBC. CBS is smarting after losing out on SEC rights to ESPN, now holding only non-P5 media rights. NBC has the rights to Notre Dame only. And Fox airs both B1G and Pac-12 games currently (though they share it with ESPN).

One of those three is going to want to step up and compete for TV time with the SEC/ESPN juggernaut.
I've got a buddy who works for the NFL Network. He told me the word is that Amazon is getting that Sunday Ticket deal next year away from Direct TV.
I find this incredibly unlikely. How is Amazon going to get Sunday Ticket on to televisions in sports bars across the country? They have to partner with local TV stations to broadcast Thursday Night Football for free over the air.
The world is changing rapidly my man. We've got little fire sticks on every flat screen in our house. The picture quality, audio, and access to games has far exceeded anything I ever had with Cable. The integration with Alexa and me switching games on different TVs is pretty seamless. There are some real smart people working for Amazon, Apple, etc. I'm sure they will come up with a very cheap easy solution for bars who want to show games. Its probably as easy being able to house all games on an iPad and just selecting which TV gets each game. Our Olympic experience on Hulu has been incredible and I can't even imagine trying to go back to cable. Plus I don't have to pay for multiple boxes or have tons of cords any longer.

All business deals are made with strategist forecasting the next 10 years not what is happening right now.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Tell me a robot didn't write this.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

UofAlum05 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:41 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:32 pm
UofAlum05 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:10 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:01 pm
UofAlum05 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:11 pm If I am the Pac, I just walk into Amazon, Hulu, Sling, Netflix, etc. and say lets do a deal. Let's get creative. Lets use highly educated alums from the P12 to make it happen.

Cable is dead and there are so many other ways of viewing games now than just a deal with a network.
We're talking about who features our tier 1 games which are currently split between Fox and ESPN. We need one of those two, or Comcast/NBC or CBS, as a distribution platform. Clearly we can't just have those games on the Pac-12 Network, streaming (poorly) via Sling or Hulu Live.

I think we all understand after this decade of DirecTV-less media rights and "Pac-12 after dark" schedules how important it is to be on the right side of this. Walk into any bar in the country and you'll know that "cable" isn't dead. DirecTV is king because of NFL Sunday Ticket, so we need to be on DirecTV. But on what channel?

ESPN is going to prioritize the SEC now that they hold the entirety of the SEC media rights and are adding Texas and OU - so that removes ESPN/ABC. That leaves Fox, CBS, and Comcast/NBC. CBS is smarting after losing out on SEC rights to ESPN, now holding only non-P5 media rights. NBC has the rights to Notre Dame only. And Fox airs both B1G and Pac-12 games currently (though they share it with ESPN).

One of those three is going to want to step up and compete for TV time with the SEC/ESPN juggernaut.
I've got a buddy who works for the NFL Network. He told me the word is that Amazon is getting that Sunday Ticket deal next year away from Direct TV.
I find this incredibly unlikely. How is Amazon going to get Sunday Ticket on to televisions in sports bars across the country? They have to partner with local TV stations to broadcast Thursday Night Football for free over the air.
The world is changing rapidly my man. We've got little fire sticks on every flat screen in our house. The picture quality, audio, and access to games has far exceeded anything I ever had with Cable. The integration with Alexa and me switching games on different TVs is pretty seamless. There are some real smart people working for Amazon, Apple, etc. I'm sure they will come up with a very cheap easy solution for bars who want to show games. Its probably as easy being able to house all games on an iPad and just selecting which TV gets each game. Our Olympic experience on Hulu has been incredible and I can't even imagine trying to go back to cable. Plus I don't have to pay for multiple boxes or have tons of cords any longer.

All business deals are made with strategist forecasting the next 10 years not what is happening right now.
I use Hulu Live at this point (after trying out Sling previously) and all of my TVs are connected to Amazon 4k Firesticks, so I'm there with you. I'd just be stunned to see every bar in America switch over their hardware to accommodate the change.

Then again, if anyone company could make it happen (and see a massive benefit for themselves following a huge capital expense and coordinated rollout) - it'd be Amazon.

Sounds like your buddy is not alone in his belief that they lead - interesting article on it here.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

May be I live in a small community with few OTA channels, but I have not an OTA station at a bar in decades. Usually Dish or Directv at the time I used to go bars, but most streaming now I imagine.

Even the jukebox went streaming 10 years ago or so.

Music in shops now is not radio, but Pandora or whatever.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

For OTA stuff I use Locast.

https://www.locast.org/
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:18 am For OTA stuff I use Locast.

They don't have Tucson yet.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:23 am

I wonder if you could use a vpn? Do you have a donate to use the service?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Fuck!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well, that is very disappointing. He must have heard from the campus presidents on not accepting any non-AAU schools, along with playing at shithole locations like Lubbock and Waco.

As was well stated earlier, the PAC picked up Utah and Colorado just to get the SLC and Denver markets.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:38 am

You can use a VPN, but then I need to be on my laptop and cast it to the TV. Pain in the ass, my wife can't just fire up the Roku.

If you don't donate it stops every 15-30 minutes or so and plays an ad asking you to donate.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:38 am

You don't have to donate but they're pretty aggressive in asking you to.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't you use an antenna? I have one stuck on my family room wall and can get the NBC station 40 hilly miles away. You get much better resolution OTA than you do from streaming sites, and no buffering!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I have an antenna but sometimes the reception isn't very good. With Locast the reception is always good.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:20 am Well, that is very disappointing. He must have heard from the campus presidents on not accepting any non-AAU schools, along with playing at shithole locations like Lubbock and Waco.

As was well stated earlier, the PAC picked up Utah and Colorado just to get the SLC and Denver markets.
Colorado is a high level research university and Utah... well they fit.

I'm glad to hear we won't be changing the composition of the Pac-12 by adding the leftovers of the Big XII. Texas Tech and Oklahoma State? Not Pac-12 schools, not by Texas Panhandle mile.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:08 am

Can't you use an antenna? I have one stuck on my family room wall and can get the NBC station 40 hilly miles away. You get much better resolution OTA than you do from streaming sites, and no buffering!
I can't get any of the stations that broadcast from the Catalinas due to my next door neighbor's two story without putting an antenna on the roof and routing cable, and I'm renting.

I am using AT&T TV streaming for now as it is the only service that has locals and the Fox regionals.
-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:24 pm
SEC = ESPN

The Big XII knows it
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What’s the difference? The damage has already been done and the league will probably have to fold. I would love to see those member schools hit ESPIN with a Herculean lawsuit and win
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

So the Big12 is trying to go after the AAC in this lawsuit because they are so pissed at the SEC? That'll teach em'.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I wonder if the SEC knows that if Texas joins the horribly arrogant Longhorns regents would expect all the SEC schools to begin lining up and answering to them. Good thing for the SEC that a number of schools like Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Florida wouldn't hesitate telling them to go F off. It's one reason I would NEVER want the Longhorns joining the Pac 12. The market share they would bring wouldn't be worth answering to the outsized egos in Austin.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

That's one thing I'm not sure the Texans would understand in the sec. They'd go from the emperor that tells everyone what to do to one of many rulers and they would not like that.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I’m kind of ready for the ncaa to completely blow up
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SEC votes unanimously to invite Texas and Oklahoma.

So I guess aTm, Arkansas, and Mizzou are getting something out of the bargain.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gonna be a weird next four years.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Whole lot of awkward looks at the big 12 family gatherings the next 4 years

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hypothetical time. Let's say the big boys from teh PAC do in fact defect to the B1G and the remaining schools merge with the remaining schools of the Big XII. What do we call it?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gonna be pretty funny when the SEC is a 24 team conference that still only plays 8 conference games.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Part of the draw of college football is the tradition and connection to your University. At what point does this just become an NFL Minor League? If it is essentially 30 team professional type league why would anyone watch over the NFL?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Let’s make it like the NFL where you have the the NFC champion (Pac/Big12/others) vs the AFC champion (SEC super conference) for the NC.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:05 pm Hypothetical time. Let's say the big boys from teh PAC do in fact defect to the B1G and the remaining schools merge with the remaining schools of the Big XII. What do we call it?
The Big Shitty
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Here we go…

PAC-12 and Big12 in talks to combine.

Good thing I won’t have to get used to being in a premiere conference.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If you want to see USC and Oregon
Leave then you combine and dilute the conference with leftovers.

Better come up with some unique things to stand out that’s for sure
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The only positive would be to actually see where Kansas would finish in the Pac...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:09 am Here we go…

Nah, it's more talks about possibly having a schedule alliance. There's no value in pooling with the other 8 Big12 schools. A B1G alliance makes more sense honestly and I think that's what ultimately occurs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:48 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:09 am Here we go…

Nah, it's more talks about possibly having a schedule alliance. There's no value in pooling with the other 8 Big12 schools. A B1G alliance makes more sense honestly and I think that's what ultimately occurs.
Are you telling me to read the article and not just the headline???

Look buddy, this is America……
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Next question: What's a Max Olson?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

The remaining Big 12 teams just provide zero value or excitement to me. I think they should join up with the AAC. Then let the P12 and Big 10 work out a partnership agreement.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

UofAlum05 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:12 pm The remaining Big 12 teams just provide zero value or excitement to me. I think they should join up with the AAC. Then let the P12 and Big 10 work out a partnership agreement.
I'm with you on all of this. To me, this is just the rest of the Big 12 trying to save itself.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

No to anything that doesn't have Arizona with at least the S. Cal schools in our division. I don't want to trade trips to L.A. and Seattle for trips to Lubbock and Manhattan, KS. No thank you.

I'm not also not sure the USC's and the Oregon's of the world really want to leave. Imagine the Big-10 adding the four California PAC schools, what the schedule for USC would be. One game in LA, either home/away against USC, one game in the Bay Area, then four conference games in the Central Time Zone against current Big-10 schools. Is that really conducive to winning 10+ games on a consistent basis? Sure, The Ohio State would have to travel to California too, but only 2 trips to a completely different time zone versus four. Ask the NFL how much travel factors into games. Home teams win 55% to 60% of the time in the NFL, and travel distance is often a factor.

If the California schools and/or Oregon wants to leave, they are going to want to create a PAC-light version of whatever conference they go to. Keep the inter-time zone travel down to a minimum. Maybe the four Cali schools, Oregon, and UW all leave together? Maybe these six plus Colorado and Arizona? Who knows? Problem is, there are no good answers.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Rumor that the Big 10 is reaching out to Oregon, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Kansas and TCU to join and make a 20 team league

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Guess Bill can't call the PAC the Conference of Champions anymore if that happens. Stanford has historically won the most championships in the NCAAs, outside of the 2 revenue sports anyway.

Mountain West would probably make the most sense for the Arizona schools.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Stanford isn’t going anywhere without Cal, and I seriously doubt the Oregon state govt. will allow ntOSU to be left in the lurch.