Lol
84Cat

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by 84Cat »

Fuck the SEC!
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Time for the new PAC-12 Commissioner to introduce the Big-12 top players to the west coast and what the new Vegas-hub can do for them.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MountainCat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:57 pm Time for the new PAC-12 Commissioner to introduce the Big-12 top players to the west coast and what the new Vegas-hub can do for them.
I think it might even be something different than that. Like, “if the ncaa and college athletics generally start collapsing on itself, how and where can we position ourselves to still be one of those ten or twenty teams still playing ‘big time college football’?”

The landscape seems like it’s going to change massively (and possibly very quickly) so I kinda understand the desire to take the proactive steps they think they can take now to survive the shakeout.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine a lot of schools are just going to quit playing football.

Does anyone, outside of the South, care about SEC v. SEC constantly in the championship game?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Yeah better get on board or go to a different football division. About to be only four conferences with either 16 or 20 in each conference.

Big 12 will be pulled from all directions. PAC 12 should go after Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, BYU, Boise State, Nebraska, and one other (maybe even Kansas for basketball in itself).
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

We can call it the Big Pac 20. Nice ring to it.

Errr...maybe the Big Pack 20, no?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

With realignment starting up again, the new PAC12 Commissioner has his work cut out for him. If Texas and OK really go to the SEC then the PAC has no good options to improve the conference financially. While some other Big12 teams may be decent, they bring little to no value. I only see this as further bad news for the PAC12.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Larry Scott put the PAC in a very bad financial situation. No way they can complete with SEC money, or even Big-10.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Now that Scott is finally gone, George has his number one priority at hand. Tough one. He needs to expand the conference with the best teams available ASAP. Any team west of the Mississippi River are a fair game. We are not the SEC, but can be the second best in time. Don’t know how you can get Texas and Oklahoma to listen at all now, but you got a try.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Texas wants to truly make some money, they should go independent. In the SEC they’ll be just another team. But they already have the Longhorn Network, so why do they really need to be in a conference?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:14 am If Texas wants to truly make some money, they should go independent. In the SEC they’ll be just another team. But they already have the Longhorn Network, so why do they really need to be in a conference?
Might work for football, but how would you schedule enough games for all the other sports?

I guess at times Notre Dame, Army, Navy and even Penn St. managed to pull it off.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

DrWildcat wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:25 am With realignment starting up again, the new PAC12 Commissioner has his work cut out for him. If Texas and OK really go to the SEC then the PAC has no good options to improve the conference financially. While some other Big12 teams may be decent, they bring little to no value. I only see this as further bad news for the PAC12.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

I like his use of the word "Interesting". Doesn't sound like he is afraid. Go for it George. Round up the best of the Big 12 and bring them west.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gonna suck to be aTm if this actually happens.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I have a tough time understanding why we’d want any of the rest
Last edited by SCCats on Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

SCCats wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:36 pm I have a tough time understanding who we’d want any of the rest
Not Baylor
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

No, no, no
-JB
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

SCCats wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:36 pm I have a tough time understanding why we’d want any of the rest
Yeah, I really don't see how the others would increase our revenue distributions to each team. I really don't care a ton about the academic side when it comes to these things. Having a "lesser" school associated with our sports teams takes nothing away from academics. The whole "superior academics" thing is just something we can say to make us feel better while being garbage in football and basketball.

We should be going hard after Texas and OK. They probably don't want to join the PAC12, and I can't blame them, but if things fall through with the SEC we have to be there to pick them up.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:55 am
So we can continue to be an afterthought in football? No fucking thank you.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:00 am
azgreg wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:55 am
So we can continue to be an afterthought in football? No fucking thank you.
Bear Down with me and let me think a bit crazy.

The Pac 12 has been an afterthought for nearly a decade now (think - not long after we hire Scott as out commissioner). The Pac 12 is not going anywhere. We are the only major conference west of the Mississippi (once the Big 12 finally dissolves) and due to logistics, we will survive. The new commissioners ought to go hard right now for the top teams in the Texas and Oklahoma. Yes that mean Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. Nothing less. Some say it can't happen, but I will go a step further. Let's go to 20 teams. Also, pull in Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska (from the Big 10), and even BYU.

Two Divisions - the West and Mid-West.

West Division
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
California
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State

Mid-West Division
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska
Colorado
Utah
BYU

- Force two other conferences to go to 20 (Maybe the SEC and Big 10).
- No more Independents allowed.
- Each team plays 9 conference games and three non-conference teams.
- Each team can play one NON-Super Conference team each year, but can't be scheduled later than September.
- Now with three Super Conferences equaling 60 teams, each Conference will have two Division winners which automatically qualify for the National Championship Playoffs. Since we most likely still going to a 12 team playoffs, the top 6 slots are taken by the Super conferences, and the bottom 6 slots are open for the best who is left. (which the SEC will say 7 of the 8 go to them).

Just thinking out loud - Wake me up now!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

I'll use the full power of my $100 a month Wildcat Club membership to fight Baylor joining this conference.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UofAlum05 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:17 am I'll use the full power of my $100 a month Wildcat Club membership to fight Baylor joining this conference.
I'd prefer no religious schools - Baylor, TCU, or BYU
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

West Division:
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
California
USC
UCLA

South-West Division:
Arizona
Arizona State
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Colorado
Utah
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

MountainCat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:13 am

The Pac 12 has been an afterthought for nearly a decade now (think - not long after we hire Scott as out commissioner). The Pac 12 is not going anywhere. We are the only major conference west of the Mississippi (once the Big 12 finally dissolves) and due to logistics, we will survive. The new commissioners ought to go hard right now for the top teams in the Texas and Oklahoma. Yes that mean Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. Nothing less. Some say it can't happen, but I will go a step further. Let's go to 20 teams. Also, pull in Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska (from the Big 10), and even BYU.

West Division
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
California
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State

Mid-West Division
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska
Colorado
Utah
BYU

- Each team can play one NON-Super Conference team each year, but can't be scheduled later than September.
- Now with three Super Conferences equaling 60 teams, each Conference will have two Division winners which automatically qualify for the National Championship Playoffs. Since we most likely still going to a 12 team playoffs, the top 6 slots are taken by the Super conferences, and the bottom 6 slots are open for the best who is left. (which the SEC will say 7 of the 8 go to them).

I would say its time to wake up. No one currently in the SEC or BIG are leaving those conferences, especially for the PAC. The PAC won't go away but we can sure lose our "Power 5" status that we are barely hanging on to. It appears to me that the Power 3 (BIG, SEC, ACC) or whatever you want to call it is coming. The conference screwed up by not taking Texas, OK and some other less desirable teams (Ok St, TT) last time.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

DrWildcat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:29 am

West Division
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
California
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State

Mid-West Division
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska
Colorado
Utah
BYU

I would say its time to wake up. No one currently in the SEC or BIG are leaving those conferences, especially for the PAC. The PAC won't go away but we can sure lose our "Power 5" status that we are barely hanging on to. It appears to me that the Power 3 (BIG, SEC, ACC) or whatever you want to call it is coming. The conference screwed up by not taking Texas, OK and some other less desirable teams (Ok St, TT) last time.
There is no way that the CFP would want to lose the Los Angeles market, San Francisco market, Seattle market, or Nike money. Also as streaming deals will start replacing cable network deals in the big money makers, the P12 is sitting in a really good place having schools located where Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Hulu, etc. are based.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

MountainCat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:57 pm Time for the new PAC-12 Commissioner to introduce the Big-12 top players to the west coast and what the new Vegas-hub can do for them.
Nope. The Pac 12 is fine as is. Doesn't need to invite TCU, Baylor, or K-State just because the SEC is getting the Sooners and Longhorns. It would be a false reaction on behalf of the Pac 12.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Colorado wanted to the in the PAC because their recruiting base and alumni base outside of Colorado is California. Similarly, both Arizona schools have more alumni and get more athletes from California than Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas combined. Any conference alignment that doesn't have the Arizona schools and Colorado with at least the LA schools on the schedule every year is going to be rejected by CU, UArizona, and ASu. Maybe Utah too, but when the PAC expanded last time, they were just happy to be promoted to a P5 Conference.

Texas and OU to the SEC isn't a done deal either. The Texas legislature probably won't like the fact TCU, Baylor, and TTech are being left in the cold. OK State won't be too happy either. And there are probably a few SEC members like Arkansas, Mizzou, and TAMU that won't be thrilled. Saying they play in the great SEC is one, small advantage they have over Texas and OK right now. If that goes away, these teams will likely suffer.

If Texas and OU do leave, OK State and TTech are the two schools the PAC should consider. Baylor and TCU are religious schools, and if the PAC wanted a religious school, we would have taken BYU years ago. And again, if the alignment is the old PAC-8 in the PAC-16 Coastal and Arizona, ASu, Colorado, Utah + TTech, Baylor, OK State and TCU in the PAC-16 Mountain, I don't think this passes. And if it does, it won't be very good for us. We'd be trading trips to LA for trips to Lubbock! Maybe if the PAC can add OK State and TTech, add them to the South, and find two schools to add to the north? Maybe think a little outside the box and add Boise St. and Kansas? Or maybe Kansas and K-State?
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

UofAlum05 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:46 am
DrWildcat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:29 am
There is no way that the CFP would want to lose the Los Angeles market, San Francisco market, Seattle market, or Nike money. Also as streaming deals will start replacing cable network deals in the big money makers, the P12 is sitting in a really good place having schools located where Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Hulu, etc. are based.
I took out MountainCat's post to reduce some of the length.

They wouldn't lose the markets, if these markets even care, and Nike money isn't leaving college sports. I'm just saying that we would continue our decent down the football hierarchy. We will be more thought of as a "Group of 5" conference vs a Power conference. To be honest, this has already happened.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

The deal should be the same as before: Texas and Oklahoma can each pick one team to come with them to the PAC. Now they’re going to want to go SEC because I think they’re worried about the totality of the future of college football, and that’s fine.

But add just the other dregs?

I’d rather see them wilt and die no conference style.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m having a hard time believing that aTm, Arkansas, and Mizzou will welcome UT and OU with open arms. Could one or two of those schools bolt to the Big12 to be big fish in a very small pond?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Trying to get my hands around an idea to have a basketball only conference with Baylor and Kansas, esp as PAC football is dying.
UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:20 am
UofAlum05 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:17 am I'll use the full power of my $100 a month Wildcat Club membership to fight Baylor joining this conference.
I'd prefer no religious schools - Baylor, TCU, or BYU
PAC presidents have historically agreed with you, at least regarding BYU and their mandate not to play any Sunday games.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:47 am I’m having a hard time believing that aTm, Arkansas, and Mizzou will welcome UT and OU with open arms. Could one or two of those schools bolt to the Big12 to be big fish in a very small pond?
At the end of the day it isn't really about winning, its about money. Without Texas and OU the Big12 is nothing you would want to go back to from the SEC in terms of money even if that gets you a few more wins.

All indications are that Texas and Oklahoma are leaving no matter what. These are huge college football brands, any conference would be dumb not to take them. Because of that, I see the SEC accepting them over any objections from A&M.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

DrWildcat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:39 am
Chicat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:47 am I’m having a hard time believing that aTm, Arkansas, and Mizzou will welcome UT and OU with open arms. Could one or two of those schools bolt to the Big12 to be big fish in a very small pond?
At the end of the day it isn't really about winning, its about money. Without Texas and OU the Big12 is nothing you would want to go back to from the SEC in terms of money even if that gets you a few more wins.

All indications are that Texas and Oklahoma are leaving no matter what. These are huge college football brands, any conference would be dumb not to take them. Because of that, I see the SEC accepting them over any objections from A&M.
There’s a money factor here too. Two more teams means every school’s share of revenues goes down. In 2020 each of the 14 schools got $45.5M. At 16 teams, that number drops to less than $40M. For comparison sake, the B1G doled out $55.5M to each school. (Let’s not talk about the PAC.)

The Big12 divvied up their revenues to the tune of between $37M and $40M to each school on a sliding scale based on success and TV ratings. I’m almost positive aTm and Arkansas could negotiate a big fat chunk of that pool of money just for keeping the conference from imploding.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

The aTm salt is already living up to expectations

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3211230
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:02 pm
DrWildcat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:39 am

There’s a money factor here too. Two more teams means every school’s share of revenues goes down. In 2020 each of the 14 schools got $45.5M. At 16 teams, that number drops to less than $40M. For comparison sake, the B1G doled out $55.5M to each school. (Let’s not talk about the PAC.)

The Big12 divvied up their revenues to the tune of between $37M and $40M to each school on a sliding scale based on success and TV ratings. I’m almost positive aTm and Arkansas could negotiate a big fat chunk of that pool of money just for keeping the conference from imploding.
If the revenue doesn't go up for the members there would be no point to adding UT and OU...SEC renegotiates and gets more money.

Without UT and OU the Big12 has to renegotiate and would lose money and A&M and Arkansas wouldn't make up for a UT and OU loss. I certainly don't think they would make it to there current $45 mill they get from the SEC even in an unequal revenue distribution agreement.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 pm
That's a better idea than trying to pick 2-4 big 12 leftovers to add that would be best. Just take all 8 and make a mega conference that would have a lot more collective power, even without OU and UT
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I doubt the Big12 would have to renegotiate their TV contract, mainly because UT has their own channel and not every game was available to their media partners.

The SEC’s upcoming contract with ESPN is locked in, as is ESPN’s partnership with the Longhorn Network. So they don’t need to pay more for UT, and I doubt OU brings so many viewers that ESPN will be strong-armed into renegotiating.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:30 pm
azgreg wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 pm
That's a better idea than trying to pick 2-4 big 12 leftovers to add that would be best. Just take all 8 and make a mega conference that would have a lot more collective power, even without OU and UT
Well we’ll we’ll, Isn’t this what what I proposed earlier with the exception of getting who we want, not what we get in leftovers? I don’t want to expand either, but rather than being left out, we may have to take the lead.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

The AAC should be a Power 5 Conference. The P12 and the AAC should just split the remaining 8 B12 trans.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pretty entertaining and active thread on this topic over at the MWC board.

https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/top ... /#comments
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Guys OU and Texas are just arrogant enough to think they could form their own league.
Last edited by TheCat on Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.