Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by Chicat »

Jesus, get over it you gigantic baby.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:13 pm again FUCK CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT

I am sure some will misinterpret that so here you go. I am glad UA landed in the Big 12. It was needed. But the entire thing fucking blows. FUCK CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT
You can blame Larry Scott for this. Anyone could see this coming because of how poorly the conference was run.

As an example: The Pac-12 network that wasn't available on most streaming services, and DirecTV. And then all these late games that won't be seen by the general public.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:21 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:13 pm again FUCK CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT

I am sure some will misinterpret that so here you go. I am glad UA landed in the Big 12. It was needed. But the entire thing fucking blows. FUCK CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT
You can blame Larry Scott for this. Anyone could see this coming because of how poorly the conference was run.

As an example: The Pac-12 network that wasn't available on most streaming services, and DirecTV. And then all these late games that won't be seen by the general public.
Larry Scott by no means help but this is far bigger than him. Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC was the big thing. That helped espn big time and fox needed to make moves to counteract
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

84Cat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:55 am
So if the court ruling doesn't go their way will they just be independent schools?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:04 pm
84Cat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:55 am
So if the court ruling doesn't go their way will they just be independent schools?
Not at all
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

There is a WWE belt painted on the field today at the Big XII title game. Wow
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://www.wwe.com/article/big-12-conf ... ampionship
IRVING, Texas and STAMFORD, Conn., November 16, 2023 – Today, the Big 12 Conference announced a collaboration with WWE for the upcoming 2023 Dr Pepper Big 12 Football Championship on Saturday, December 2, held at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Through this partnership, the Big 12 and WWE will introduce a custom-made championship title belt for this year’s Big 12 Football Championship Most Outstanding Player, presented on-field at the conclusion of the game by a WWE Superstar. Additionally, a co-branded WWE x Big 12 logo will be featured throughout the venue and on the field.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:35 am There is a WWE belt painted on the field today at the Big XII title game. Wow
Which has nothing to do with realignment except crybabies gonna cry.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

We reaching for the belt next year mother fuckers!!

Cool.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

You can make a case that there's a cohort with Arizona, ASU, Utah, BYU, and Colorado. 4 were together in the WAC, 4 were together in the Pac, and 5 will be together in the Big XII. Not big enough to be a conference, but it makes the transition easier when you've got familiar faces, if not friends, with you when you start at a new school, or in this case conference. At this point it's not a divisional thing, but it makes sense to play your rival annually, and to play the geographically closest teams most often to minimize travel costs. Beyond that, we'll see a nice rotation of teams that should keep things fairly fresh. In football and men's basketball, we'll be playing big-time teams in big-time stadia on big-time TV. If the Olympic sports which the Pac maybe over-emphasized a little bit aren't quite up to par with what it was in that soon-to-be-defunct league, I know I can certainly live with it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol

That’s like when my college gf told me, it take two to get together it takes two to break up.

Lol
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:57 am
I'm hoping the BigXII basketball tournament follows suit :D
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Vegas is just sitting out there all dark and lonely without a conference (g5 doesn't count). Why shouldn't the BIG12 just come along and give it a home? It's the entertainment capital of the US. It makes perfect sense for it to be covered in BIG12 Basketball branding during early March.
Mike Luke's burner account.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/court-ruli ... 17102.html

Court ruling gives Oregon State and Washington State control of the Pac-12

Good!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Don't like Chip Kelly, but he is 100% spot on.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Interesting
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Feel bad for Gonzaga basketball. They get the same joys in playing them as we did.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Pullman to Spokane is 75 miles. Although Corvallis is 425 miles away. The big question remains what will become of Gonzaga once Few retires
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:13 pm Pullman to Spokane is 75 miles. Although Corvallis is 425 miles away. The big question remains what will become of Gonzaga once Few retires
After an enormous offer to Tommy? Who knows.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Does Tommy fly fish? Not sure why he would even consider Spokane and Gonzaga over Tucson and UA.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:11 pm Does Tommy fly fish? Not sure why he would even consider Spokane and Gonzaga over Tucson and UA.
Well he was born and raised in Washington and spent 20 years at Gonzaga so I could see the allure, hopefully he and his family are loving it in Tucson and from everything I have heard they are.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This is the same person who posted realignment leaks before, and has recently been tweeting about the ACC issue along with some other wild sounding rumors.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:40 pm some other wild sounding rumors.
The ACC/BigXII merger talk? I’ve seen similar from others. Always struck me more of an ACC fever dream and attempt to keep FSU in the fold.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:49 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:40 pm some other wild sounding rumors.
The ACC/BigXII merger talk? I’ve seen similar from others. Always struck me more of an ACC fever dream and attempt to keep FSU in the fold.
Not just that, but he's also saying the Pac 2 could be involved and possible shuffling of schools between conferences? Kinda hard to take these rumors seriously, but really hoping 2024 is off to a good start with Kliavkoff finally getting canned.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I'm enjoying the progression of the detachment process from the Pac-12.

There were issues from the beginning. Kingmakers USC and UCLA wanted us in, with the idea that they'd eventually be able to force out WSU and OSU for a new Pac-8. Ironically, both of those schools went along with them, along with tie-breaker Oregon, which at the time was pretty similar to WSU and OSU. They probably figured we'd be teams they'd have a better chance to beat. But the Bay Area schools and Washington were always a hard no. Unknown how much of it had to do with ASU's academics and how it would have gone it we'd been paired with a Colorado. But, those three never had any particular use for us, and the Bay Area schools always had outsized influence with the league office in their backyard.

We had a pretty successful last go-round in football and we seem to have landed on our feet with our coaching transition. And now we're doing pretty well in hoops, and we're done with (men's) basketball trips to the PNW and Bay. Regardless of what happens as the non-revenue sports drag on into the summer, for the Big Two sports, the finale will be in Vegas, and I think that'll feel pretty much like the symbolic finale for the league. So, RIP Pac, and we can throw a baby shower for the new version of the Big XII.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I'm also looking forward to being able to step down a tier in the next few months and say adios to the Pac-12 nets. Guess we'll all have to reacquaint ourselves with streaming the more obscure contests, if we really care about them, rather than casually flipping them on until they typically become blowouts. Maybe the Big XII will eventually do something like the Big Ten/SEC/ACC Networks, with a single channel for overflow games and conference promotion. I've noticed that those networks often have decent games on (even if replays) at "off" times, unlike the Pac-12 (unless you really like gymnastics, etc.) So, Stanford and UCLA's zillions of titles in tiddly-winks will no longer be used to hype the Pac as the "conference of champions," complete with all the pretty scenery and the public service announcements. As a Big XII newbie, I've noticed how many of their games are on ESPN2. That'll work just fine for me.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ourselves/

This is only going to speed up the demise of whats left of the "Have-Nots" that are not one of the 34.

Congress needs to step in while we still have something resembling college football
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:02 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ourselves/

This is only going to speed up the demise of whats left of the "Have-Nots" that are not one of the 34.

Congress needs to step in while we still have something resembling college football
Why would congress step in?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:40 pm This is the same person who posted realignment leaks before, and has recently been tweeting about the ACC issue along with some other wild sounding rumors.
FWIW he's also been talking about something I've heard about, which is the involvement of TKO as a private equity booster to the Big 12. Don't know if it indeed is going to happen, but they would probably be the only private equity option that would ever make sense due to their knowledge, connections, and ability to promote sports. If the Big12 were to ever remotely catch up to the SEC/B1G it'd have to be with help from someone with the influence of TKO.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Every day there seems to be media news that suggests Apple could have worked.

Arizona had to move once Washington and Oregon did. But damn maybe the PAC-12 could have survived and done pretty well
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What took so long?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:00 pm What took so long?
Waiting for the Titanic to hit the ocean floor first.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'm curious what new leadership for a dead conference is going to look like.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Quite frankly I don't think the SEC/BIG can breakaway from college football and make as much money. They are the big boys now but the rooting interest is less than 1/3 of the country. If other conferences froze them out in all sports for out of the conference games who would really be interested in some of their games? Who would recognize them as the champions of any sport when they didn't play other really good teams?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TheCat wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:59 am Quite frankly I don't think the SEC/BIG can breakaway from college football and make as much money. They are the big boys now but the rooting interest is less than 1/3 of the country.
If other conferences froze them out in all sports for out of the conference games who would really be interested in some of their games? Who would recognize them as the champions of any sport when they didn't play other really good teams?
Television.

End. Of. Story.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:26 am
TheCat wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:59 am Quite frankly I don't think the SEC/BIG can breakaway from college football and make as much money. They are the big boys now but the rooting interest is less than 1/3 of the country.
If other conferences froze them out in all sports for out of the conference games who would really be interested in some of their games? Who would recognize them as the champions of any sport when they didn't play other really good teams?
Television.

End. Of. Story.
Anti-trust lawsuits.

End. Of. Story.

The SEC/B1G breakaway is a fantasy. It's not even something they're pushing for. They will have every thing they want already once the ACC goes down in the dumps.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:05 pm Every day there seems to be media news that suggests Apple could have worked.
Hahahahaha what? What media news out there has suggested that Apple would have worked for the Pac-12?

The most irrelevant streamer for the most irrelevant power 5 conference. A match made in a pile of shit. Nothing has changed. Netflix is still the only streaming service that is making any sort of money. Peacock/Amazon's streams have been successful only when the NFL is involved. You think Arizona is ignored nationally now? Whew. Just imagine a Pac-10 solely on Apple. Good lord what a catastrophe that would've been.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Lol
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Will the corporate conference room be a cubicle?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

First job - find some white out to go over the 1 on the PAC-12 logo.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I would like to introduce to you the new captain of the Titanic...............
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

At least she'll have a huge pot of cash to work with.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:55 pm At least she'll have a huge pot of cash to work with.
She will have tons and all the PAC-12 assets. Don't forget that basketball money is paid out for 6 years and she has all of it now for any team that has made it to the tourney and they won't be happy to share and they shouldn't be.

Here is the rule "The Basketball Performance Fund is distributed to active Division I conferences based on their performance in the Division I Men's Basketball Championship over a six-year rolling period. Independent institutions earn unit(s) based on their championship participation within a six-year rolling period."

That is a ton of money. Also a conference has 2 years to reconstitute itself if it falls below a certain number of teams. I'm not sure what the criteria is for the new playoff in football is but they are technically a power 5 conference and if the winner gets to go to the college football championship they might be a participant.

They are smarter than the presidents have been and it has already gone to court.