wyo-cat

Re: Another best for Toad Graham..

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote:So lose a 250k position over some ASSU snatch. Just defines dumb
...Clown? That would fit here.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Haha yup, and then some. If the kid had stayed another 5 years it would be a 1.25m piece of tail
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Chicat wrote:
Main Event wrote:They'll go 8-4
Going just by Madonna MicWristbands' rhetoric this offseason, if they even have one loss it will be a massive disappointment. 8-4 would be an epic choke job, especially since this the best team he's ever laid eyes on. Anything less than a national championship would represent a total fail on the part of the coaching staff.
You know what...... I agree
Conference Winners

Big Ten: Ohio State Buckeyes over Wisconsin Badgers
Big 12: Oklahoma Sooners
SEC: LSU Tigers over Tennessee Volunteers
ACC: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets over Florida State Seminoles
Pac-12: Arizona State Sun Devils over Stanford Cardinal
College Football Playoff Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
LSU Tigers
Oklahoma Sooners
Arizona State Sun Devils
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... e-football

Title or bust
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sadly for ASU this year I don't see them being a 10-3 team. They're either going to be 13-1 and play in the playoffs or they're going to be like 7-6 and barely make a bowl. Feast or famine for them this year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

I just don't see it. They lost their best receiver by far in Strong and their mobile QB, plus some guys along the line. Berco is going to be a sitting duck back there, and made more than a few bad throws against us in the limited time he played. We're missing a few guys on our Oline and a few in our secondary, but all of our skill position players (including the most important one, QB) are back, the best defensive player in college, and bringing in some massive size along the D-line. Even our secondary is more athletic than last year.

ASU in the running for the playoffs? I will believe it when I see it.

Go Cats!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:
You know the absolute best way to get fired?

Have expectations be sky high and go 7-6.

Just ask Dick Tomey.

Todd Graham is being set up. And it's fantastic.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

*Sigh*

I think the key point in all of this is maturity.

As an employee of a university, relationships with students/student-athletes are not allowed, or at least heavily discouraged. Much like they would be in any corporation. If this was between a grad-assistant who was 23 and just graduated, I could see some leeway here. But this is a 30-something employee, seemingly with repeat offenses. Therefore, the school is forced to dismiss him.

The mature thing for ASU to do would be to give a simple statement stating the dismissal and the main reason behind it. No reason to go into smutty details, but basically own up to the misconduct of the employee in its most broad/general sense (e.g "The assistant violated ASU's policy on relationships with students") and leave it at that.

Instead, ASU goes all hush-hush, and reporters have to dig a bit and find out about it. And even then, the reasons behind the dismissal are not disclosed. Even worse, Todd Graham seems to be trying to play it off like this was a mutual decision, or that his son had found another career/position.

With respect to Dick Douglas, the mature response would be to accept that the assistant was fired, and accept that mistakes such as this happen.

Instead of simply acknowledging this situation, he tries to minimize it. Then, after that fails, he tries to make it seem "okay" by bringing up offenses committed by UA staff members. As if crimes committed at the University of Arizona suddenly make a difference in this case. Even then, look at the response. Instead of deflecting blame, UA fans acknowledge the poor behavior, not excuse it.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

SCCats wrote:
Merkin wrote:
You know the absolute best way to get fired?

Have expectations be sky high and go 7-6.

Just ask Dick Tomey.

Todd Graham is being set up. And it's fantastic.
Tomey didn't help himself by sitting on his behind recruiting after '94 and '98. He truly could have done more to build and avoid slouching back into .500 territory, but we know this.

Herbstreit changes his playoff picks three to four times during an average season. This one will be no different, and this is just college football's way of giving TG enough rope to hang himself.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Toad is going to be giving their fanbase their best disappointment ever on Saturday.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Holy shit balls!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well if they get to the playoffs he would have a chance but so would Anu, Rosen or anybody repping the PAC
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

azgreg wrote:Holy shit balls!
Yes, I love it when I see this stuff because I know how this always ends.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Madonna does realize that just repeating "National Championship" in the mirror every night before before bed doesn't make it magically come true, doesn't he?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Chicat wrote:Madonna does realize that just repeating "National Championship" in the mirror every night before before bed doesn't make it magically come true, doesn't he?
Speaking victory is simple. Getting the W? Little harder.

Go Cats!!
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Throughout the preseason, Graham said he thought the Sun Devils' overall speed was the best it’s been since he arrived four years ago. Against Texas A&M – picked to finish sixth in the SEC West – that was hard to see.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /71793234/

Love it
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Gilbertcat wrote:
Throughout the preseason, Graham said he thought the Sun Devils' overall speed was the best it’s been since he arrived four years ago. Against Texas A&M – picked to finish sixth in the SEC West – that was hard to see.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /71793234/

Love it
The part about that article I love is Haller slobbering all over Bercovici's nuts basically saying his receivers dropped all of his perfect passes, and if he had an extra second behind their o line he would have made more perfect passes.

Granted their "top" WR is a converted RB who wasn't anything that special to begin with, and their o line seems to be as shaky as ours, but Anu at least managed to go 22/36 with 4 TDs and no incredibly boneheaded mistakes.

Wait, you mean maybe there's a reason a fifth year senior wasn't the starting quarterback until now? I mean it couldn't possibly be because hes not very good, I'm sure Graham was just holding him back until he had "the best team he's ever had."
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASU’s big picture: It’s only one game. Its Pac-12 championship hopes still are firmly intact. The short picture: This team has offensive issues to resolve.
I chuckled at this quote from the article. I wonder if their underlying theory on that sentence is that they haven't lost a PAC game yet, so their PAC 12 Championship hopes are still firmly intact? (As in: Washington State's PAC 12 Championship hopes are still firmly intact! They continue to be undefeated in conference!)

Or is it that they liked what they saw so much in that beatdown loss that they figure from that performance they're still one of the top teams in the PAC?

Either way, the delusion is strong in that sentence. But that's the great thing about Clown Devil Football: even when presented with tons of evidence of how much they suck, they won't believe any of it and continue assuming they will win every game remaining, which always makes their inevitable fall so entertaining.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Gonna go with option 2, since most ASU fans are convinced their 21 point loss was better than our 10 point win. Since you know, they played a "real" team and we played a cupcake.

If it's the first option, then Haller is dumber than I thought. No shit there Pac hopes are alive you fucking dingus, conference play hasn't started yet. But then again it's not shocking either that their big picture is subtly being downgraded from a national championship to a CFP appearance to p12 conference champs...

Next step down is what? Better conf record than us?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Heard Toad once again said, "We beat ourselves." He said that after our game last year, but can anyone confirm he actually said that AGAIN after Texas A & M??? If so, this guy is the biggest horse's ass on the planet. RR gives nothing but respect to the opponent, even saying if it wasn't for the defensive TD's we lose against UTSA. The Toad never gives any other team respect.

His BS about "best team ever" is so deep now that his only response after a loss has to be "we beat ourselves." ASU can have him. What an ass.
:?
Go Cats!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Asu has 2 easy wins now but then a 5 game stretch of usc, @ucla, Colorado, @Utah, and Oregon.

Not a bold prediction to see them at 5-3 or 4-4 after Halloween.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Catstatic wrote:Heard Toad once again said, "We beat ourselves." He said that after our game last year, but can anyone confirm he actually said that AGAIN after Texas A & M??? If so, this guy is the biggest horse's ass on the planet. RR gives nothing but respect to the opponent, even saying if it wasn't for the defensive TD's we lose against UTSA. The Toad never gives any other team respect.

His BS about "best team ever" is so deep now that his only response after a loss has to be "we beat ourselves." ASU can have him. What an ass.
:?
Go Cats!!

In his post-game radio interview, ASU coach Todd Graham said, "You can't lose two phases of the game (offense, special teams) and win. We fought hard to do it. I had a lot of confidence we would win the game, but we made too many mistakes and beat ourselves."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /71669592/
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That's just how good ASU is. The only team good enough to beat this team of destiny is ASU themselves. All other teams are second rate and can't hold a candle to the sleeping juggernaut in Tempe.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:Asu has 2 easy wins now
Hopefully Cal Poly gives them a good game. Poly did beat Montana Saturday.

If Wazzu can lose to Portland State...
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /71828766/

Paola doing just what I thought she would do.

Here is the banter:

TAMU is really good, they are gonna challenge for the SEC championship.
We are elite, that is why we play tough road games. No other schools can say otherwise till they do the same.... blah blah blah
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Does it help when you lose every game vs. Power 5 teams though? lost to atm, lost to Missouri, lost to Wisconsin, lost to Illinois, lost to Georgia, lost to lsu...all in the last 10 years.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Nowhere more than in football can so many coaches and writers do what even some fans of other sports get excoriated for and make up imaginary metrics to support estimates of program progress, if not greatness.

The proof is in the execution on the field, though. Too bad so many mouthpieces are paid to ignore that in ASSU's case.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

WildcatStunner wrote:http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /71828766/

Paola doing just what I thought she would do.

Here is the banter:

TAMU is really good, they are gonna challenge for the SEC championship.
We are elite, that is why we play tough road games. No other schools can say otherwise till they do the same.... blah blah blah
Is a "hidden storyline" the same thing as a "sleeping giant"?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Kind of curious how this season will now play out. I was buying the thought they could win 10 again but several of you said some key things that at this point look very true.

Some mentioned the loss of Strong but more exact the lack of speed at wideout. ASSU has real difficulty getting open and the offense struggled.

I think DC talked at length about Berko not being a run threat and this was so true. Kelly was a real threat until he hurt himself and Berko looks unable to run the read.

Defensively they looked good in the first half, blitzing every play and running cover 0. That worked until AnM made the adjustments and blocked people and it was game over. The PAC has seen this for 3 years now, you have to think they will be ready.

2 easy wins coming up but then the fun begins. Lets see of CTG has the chops
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azcat49 wrote:Kind of curious how this season will now play out. I was buying the thought they could win 10 again but several of you said some key things that at this point look very true.
Their schedule is interesting. They're going to go 2-1 in OOC. In conference they have #8 USC at home, #13 UCLA on the road, #24 Utah on the road, #5 Oregon at home and #22 Arizona at home. With that schedule going 6-3 in conference wouldn't be a bad result at all.

That puts them at 8-4 for the year. When your year starts off with national title hopes, 8-4 looks pretty bad. And if conference play doesn't go good, 7-5 is not out of the question.

It will be fun to watch. The pressure is on in every game now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ceiling for them is 10-3 now. With games against Oregon, usc, Arizona, @cal, @Utah and @ucla...it's hard seeing them going better than 4-2 in those. They'll be a 8-5/9-4 team this year.

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

azcat49 wrote:Kind of curious how this season will now play out. I was buying the thought they could win 10 again but several of you said some key things that at this point look very true.

Some mentioned the loss of Strong but more exact the lack of speed at wideout. ASSU has real difficulty getting open and the offense struggled.

I think DC talked at length about Berko not being a run threat and this was so true. Kelly was a real threat until he hurt himself and Berko looks unable to run the read.

Defensively they looked good in the first half, blitzing every play and running cover 0. That worked until AnM made the adjustments and blocked people and it was game over. The PAC has seen this for 3 years now, you have to think they will be ready.

Berko has a great arm, but he throws a lot of interceptions. During the T-cup game last year, I was really excited when ASU pulled Kelly.

Graham's defense is blindingly obvious. It's too high risk high reward to actually function in this day and age. Remember their comments after the game agains us? 'UA got lucky -- they scored on a lot of big plays!' Well, duh. Leaving no cover help over the top is going to lead to some big plays when the all out blitz doesn't get to the QB before even starts to checkdown.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Puerco wrote:

Berko has a great arm, but he throws a lot of interceptions. During the T-cup game last year, I was really excited when ASU pulled Kelly.

Graham's defense is blindingly obvious. It's too high risk high reward to actually function in this day and age. Remember their comments after the game agains us? 'UA got lucky -- they scored on a lot of big plays!' Well, duh. Leaving no cover help over the top is going to lead to some big plays when the all out blitz doesn't get to the QB before even starts to checkdown.
They should've learned from Oregon State the previous week. Once the RB got through the second (LB's) line of defense... there was no third line because the safeties were blitzing too. When you've got such a high-risk defense, you're bound to get burned.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

qwertyus wrote:
Puerco wrote:

They should've learned from Oregon State the previous week. Once the RB got through the second (LB's) line of defense... there was no third line because the safeties were blitzing too. When you've got such a high-risk defense, you're bound to get burned.
Yeah there's kind of a reason no one runs casino blitzes like the 85 bears anymore. Once an offense adjusts with deep passes and short routes you're kinda fucked. Good for us though if that's all they decide to do the entire season though!
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Once A & M's starter returned, settled down, and started completing the short pass it was pretty clear the game was over. I think we are all overlooking the most important aspect to all of this, however. This Devils' team is the greatest 0-1 team to ever take the field! ;)

Go Cats!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Still the bestest EVER...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Got Cal Poly and New Mexico to sell too the clownish fan base
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Just saw Nevada plays TA&M next Saturday. Would love a blowout tomorrow and Nevada to only lose by a TD or two. So Nevada would be on par with the greatest team ever.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Toad on the radio today: "We have the best home field in the Pac 12"
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

splitsecond wrote:Toad on the radio today: "We have the best home field in the Pac 12"
/Looks up Asu attendance records over the last couple decades.

Chuckle. Snort. Guffaw

splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Fishclamps wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Puerco wrote:

Yeah there's kind of a reason no one runs casino blitzes like the 85 bears anymore. Once an offense adjusts with deep passes and short routes you're kinda fucked. Good for us though if that's all they decide to do the entire season though!
The Cardinals run a ton of Cover 0, more than any team in the NFL I believe, but they mix it with enough other packages and disguise it well enough that teams don't know when it is coming for the most part. They still are susceptible to big plays, particularly against tight ends when there is no help over the top.

Graham on the other hand, not so much. It's like a really good lesson in how to use cover 0 properly and improperly.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

This was their senior day last year...best home field ever.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

When he said best home field ever maybe he literally meant the turf?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fishclamps wrote:When he said best home field ever maybe he literally meant the turf?
He'd still be wrong.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Sounds like there is 32 "Dream Jobs" out there for Todd Graham.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Asu average attendance in two games: 44905 (70% capacity)

Arizona average attendance in two gsmes: 52303 (93.3% capacity)

Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

ASUHATER! wrote:Asu average attendance in two games: 44905 (70% capacity)

Arizona average attendance in two gsmes: 52303 (93.3% capacity)
Sounds like their fans don't believe his hype either. :lol:

Go Cats!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I should mention, that's a misleading 70% capacity as they removed ton's of empty seats prior to the season.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong