Another best for Toad Graham..

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

krissyp

Re: Another best for Toad Graham..

Post by krissyp »

Sorry, I'm distracted by the score on that top gif.

Yawn to the rest of it.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

http://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/sh ... l-in-tempe" target="_blank

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) - Tempe police are investigating a shooting and a fist fight involving an Arizona State University football player outside an American Legion hall.

Police spokeswoman Naomi Galbraith says authorities received a 911 call just before 2 a.m. Saturday that multiple shots were fired in the area of an American Legion building.

Galbraith says upon arrival, officers found 300 people and more than 200 vehicles leaving the scene.

Investigators found evidence of a shooting as well as blood. Witnesses say the blood came from one person injured in a fist fight.

Among those interviewed was ASU football player Deonte Reynolds.

Galbraith says Reynolds was treated for minor injuries from an altercation with an unknown person.

Police say no other injuries have been reported and no arrests made.

But they are still investigating.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Best damn sub-.500 team EVER...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Knowing ASU is crapping the bed after pumping themselves with national championship talk back in August is so sweet.

Since last November, ASU fans waited all year for football season to arrive with great expectations, hope and anticipation. Once again, they never fail to disappoint. Preseason top 15. Five losses before Veteran's Day. Never has a program done so little with so much hype and fanfare.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

carolinacat wrote:Knowing ASU is crapping the bed after pumping themselves with national championship talk back in August is so sweet.

Since last November, ASU fans waited all year for football season to arrive with great expectations, hope and anticipation. Once again, they never fail to disappoint. Preseason top 15. Five losses before Veteran's Day. Never has a program done so little with so much hype and fanfare.
It is on consolation to our current awfulness. They always hype themselves beyond a Arizona fans ever do.

One of the most predictable things in sports is counting on Asu having a disappointing year when they have big preseason expectations.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So is there any rumblings in the valley about people being unhappy with Graham?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

From people I've chatted with, the vibe I get is that they like him as a coach but they wish he'd shut the f**k up with the talk.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

But beyond them not winning a natty and not having the greatest team to ever grace the earth, 4-5 in year four is pretty awful. Why is Graham getting a pass but RR largely is not? Isn't ASSU a football school?
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Chicat wrote:But beyond them not winning a natty and not having the greatest team to ever grace the earth, 4-5 in year four is pretty awful. Why is Graham getting a pass but RR largely is not? Isn't ASSU a football school?
1. Coached ASU to back to back 10 win seasons for first time in 30 years.
2. Recruiting
3. Graham has been a program builder at ASU. Since his arrival, ASU is fundraising and investing in facilities at unprecedented levels (for ASU).
4. Recruiting
5. Recruiting

In other words, regardless of this poor season, ASU is on a real upswing from where it was. How is RR catching heat? Sounds more like he is the center of relocation speculation, but I haven't seen anyone calling for him to be fired.

(Also, not sure if true, but I read somewhere last night that ASU has not lost a single it was favored in this year. Keep in mind, Vegas had ASU as a 7-5 team prior to this season.)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The heat RR is catching is definitely related to the relocation rumors, but there are more than a few right here on this board who are ready to move on largely because of how shitty our recruiting still is and the lack of depth on the current team.
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Chicat wrote:But beyond them not winning a natty and not having the greatest team to ever grace the earth, 4-5 in year four is pretty awful. Why is Graham getting a pass but RR largely is not? Isn't ASSU a football school?
2. Recruiting
3. Graham has been a program builder at ASU. Since his arrival, ASU is fundraising and investing in facilities at unprecedented levels (for ASU).
4. Recruiting
5. Recruiting

In other words, regardless of this poor season, ASU is on a real upswing from where it was. How is RR catching heat? Sounds more like he is the center of relocation speculation, but I haven't seen anyone calling for him to be fired.

(Also, not sure if true, but I read somewhere last night that ASU has not lost a single it was favored in this year. Keep in mind, Vegas had ASU as a 7-5 team prior to this season.)
I hate hearing people talk about how well Graham is recruiting. It's all just based on arbitrary rankings, and 99% of the people who tout it have no idea who any of the kids are and/or have never seen them play, they're just repeating a talking point based on an arbitrary rating system. So Graham had the #17 class in 2014 and 2015 (according to Scout), how's that improved the team? Their regular season win total has decreased in both seasons following those "stellar classes." This year, asu's class isn't even ranked, so is his recruiting falling off now?

It's just such an inexact science that it's silly for people to simply say "asu's recruiting has improved greatly!" Graham has a roster full of his recruits and at best will finish 7-5 plus a marginal bowl game... how does that show his recruiting is so astronomically off the charts that you use it as 3 of the 5 main reasons why he's not under fire? (I'm not saying he should be under fire, just pointing out why I think your reasoning is flawed.)

On top of that, remember at the beginning of the season how many "experts" were saying how asu is so much bigger than they have been, and they "look the part" this season, etc etc etc. How's that worked out for them? I don't follow recruiting closely because I think it's silly, so maybe I'm extra sensitive to the subject, but all I hear from asu fans and Phoenix sports talk shows is that asu's recruiting is so great, but the results don't show it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

They've recruited themselves into a 4-5 season.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Luuuuuuuute wrote:
2. Recruiting
4. Recruiting
5. Recruiting

I hate hearing people talk about how well Graham is recruiting. It's all just based on arbitrary rankings, and 99% of the people who tout it have no idea who any of the kids are and/or have never seen them play, they're just repeating a talking point based on an arbitrary rating system. So Graham had the #17 class in 2014 and 2015 (according to Scout), how's that improved the team? Their regular season win total has decreased in both seasons following those "stellar classes." This year, asu's class isn't even ranked, so is his recruiting falling off now?

It's just such an inexact science that it's silly for people to simply say "asu's recruiting has improved greatly!" Graham has a roster full of his recruits and at best will finish 7-5 plus a marginal bowl game... how does that show his recruiting is so astronomically off the charts that you use it as 3 of the 5 main reasons why he's not under fire? (I'm not saying he should be under fire, just pointing out why I think your reasoning is flawed.)

On top of that, remember at the beginning of the season how many "experts" were saying how asu is so much bigger than they have been, and they "look the part" this season, etc etc etc. How's that worked out for them? I don't follow recruiting closely because I think it's silly, so maybe I'm extra sensitive to the subject, but all I hear from asu fans and Phoenix sports talk shows is that asu's recruiting is so great, but the results don't show it.
Fair enough, but UofA fan would be touting our recruiting classes if we were on that kind of roll.

It may be arbitrary but thats not to say it isn't real in the mind of average Joe fan and low-information, but large wallet booster.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Luuuuuuuute wrote:
2. Recruiting
4. Recruiting
5. Recruiting

As you point out, the two recruiting classes that ASU fans are touting are '14 and '15. Any program that expects true freshman to come in an contribute are usually in trouble. So no, the results on the field are not reflecting improved recruiting because those recruits are still new to football at this level.

Btw, neither of ASU's classes the last couple of seasons were ranked at the beginning of November either. ASU fills up their classes closer to signing day. Building a legit contender takes several years, if not an entire decade or more. ASU's roster is getting bigger, faster, and more athletic every year. Does that mean they have arrived? Absolutely not.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question: If you were to force Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, or Urban Meyer to coach the roster of ASU or UA (all other factors removed), which roster do you think they would choose?
Scummy Dick Douglas

CalStateTempe wrote:
Luuuuuuuute wrote:
2. Recruiting
4. Recruiting
5. Recruiting

Fair enough, but UofA fan would be touting our recruiting classes if we were on that kind of roll.

It may be arbitrary but thats not to say it isn't real in the mind of average Joe fan and low-information, but large wallet booster.
It takes coaching + talent to compete. I have yet to witness a national champion filled with classes falling outside of the top 15 in most recruiting rankings. Go look at any national champion and then reference their "arbitrary" recruiting rankings for the 4-5 years prior to the championship season. You will find a pretty clear correlation between recruiting rankings and championship football. (To be fair, championship schools have good coaching too).
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:The heat RR is catching is definitely related to the relocation rumors, but there are more than a few right here on this board who are ready to move on largely because of how shitty our recruiting still is and the lack of depth on the current team.
If there were rumors swirling about Graham being on his way out the door, I would you would expect there to be a similar reaction to what you are seeing on here. And people can keep harping on their 4-5 season all they want; the difference between their record and ours (aside from having one more game remaining) is that ASU actually scheduled one real team on their OOC; had we played A&M instead of UTSA we'd be sitting with 4 wins and in need of a miracle finish to become bowl eligible. The 2 BCS conference teams we have beaten this season combined for 1 win.

I think Graham has done a very poor job coaching this season... but I also think he has considerably more talent in the program than we do, and has done considerably better recruiting of late (which stuns me, as looking at the 2 I would think RR would be a MUCH better recruiter... But the results don't match). I think RR does "more with less", and is a better 'coach' - but running a program is a combination of both.

I am sure many faithful will disagree with my opinion on talent in the 2 programs... Unless RR does leave, and we hire a new coach - in which case they will fall in line with 'wrong players for the new scheme' and 'be patient/ We need 5 years/ the cupboard was bare/ look at those recruiting classes in '14 &'15/. Graham had a 4-year head start..."

People can make fun of ASU for thinking they have a good team, and the same jabs could be made at our fans who think we have a good team. Both teams are what their records say they are.

Which should make for an extremely competitive Territorial Cup
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Luuuuuuuute wrote:
2. Recruiting
4. Recruiting
5. Recruiting

As you point out, the two recruiting classes that ASU fans are touting are '14 and '15. Any program that expects true freshman to come in an contribute are usually in trouble. So no, the results on the field are not reflecting improved recruiting because those recruits are still new to football at this level.

Btw, neither of ASU's classes the last couple of seasons were ranked at the beginning of November either. ASU fills up their classes closer to signing day. Building a legit contender takes several years, if not an entire decade or more. ASU's roster is getting bigger, faster, and more athletic every year. Does that mean they have arrived? Absolutely not.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question: If you were to force Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, or Urban Meyer to coach the roster of ASU or UA (all other factors removed), which roster do you think they would choose?
I think they'd laugh and say 'why would I be forced to coach either one'?

That'd be like asking Charlize Theron who (if she was forced to) she would rather sleep with every night for a month - you or DW99.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

I'm not sure ASU beats Nevada on the road. The Devils struggled mightily at home against Cal Poly and didn't put the game away until midway through the 4th quarter.
Same story against New Mexico.

While Arizona's OOC schedule was weak, it's not as though ASU was playing tough games either. Give them their due for playing A&M (which by the way got handled at home by a crappy Auburn team. The Aggies are only .500 in SEC play and still have to play 'Bama).

ASU was certainly set up nicely for a great season. They also had a very favorable conference schedule by missing the top team in the Pac 12 for the second year in a row (Stanford). It's not as though they've had a huge rash of injuries like Arizona. They've simply been poorly coached based on their personnel. I don't know which fan base is more upset: Arizona with Casteel or ASU with Norvell. At least Casteel has an excuse after losing so many LB's.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So they are 4-5 and have landed to states top 2 players! We are losing recruits but the are gaining them with there shitty ass season! Wtf!
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

3goggles wrote:So they are 4-5 and have landed to states top 2 players! We are losing recruits but the are gaining them with there shitty ass season! Wtf!
Lucas hasn't even been recruited by arizona in a while. Harry is a good pickup. Our recruiting isn't even close to done yet
Scummy Dick Douglas

catinfl wrote:
3goggles wrote:So they are 4-5 and have landed to states top 2 players! We are losing recruits but the are gaining them with there shitty ass season! Wtf!
Lucas hasn't even been recruited by arizona in a while. Harry is a good pickup. Our recruiting isn't even close to done yet
Are you implying UA didn't want Lucas? or that UA stopped recruiting him because there was no interest on his part?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

catinfl wrote:
Are you implying UA didn't want Lucas? or that UA stopped recruiting him because there was no interest on his part?
A little bit of both. Arizona had higher targets on the board and Lucas was flirting, but the staff didn't want to chase a kid who was probably going elsewhere.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

catinfl wrote:
What names are still out there that we are pushing for?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

3goggles wrote:
catinfl wrote:
From everything I have read we are are not looking solid with anyone at the level of the two in state guys ASU picked up. Only highly sought after guys we are close on is Stovall and Burton, but those are a LONG shot. Meanwhile ASU could potentially land 4 of the top 5 state players with the two Murphy's.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gronk4heisman wrote:
3goggles wrote:
catinfl wrote:
From everything I have read we are are not looking solid with anyone at the level of the two in state guys ASU picked up. Only highly sought after guys we are close on is Stovall and Burton, but those are a LONG shot. Meanwhile ASU could potentially land 4 of the top 5 state players with the two Murphy's.
If that happens it will piss me off more than the disappointment of the season. :oops:

Last I heard Byron was aTm bound and Connor was an Oregon lean. That was a while ago, though.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Harvey Specter wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
3goggles wrote:
catinfl wrote:
If that happens it will piss me off more than the disappointment of the season. :oops:

Last I heard Byron was aTm bound and Connor was an Oregon lean. That was a while ago, though.
Byron Murphy - toss up between ASU and A&M. Probably a slight lean to ASU
Connor Murphy - not sure where ASU stands but Michigan will be hard to beat. He is also genuinely interested in Vanderbilt.
Ryan Kelley - ('17 4* QB) between Oregon and ASU, but I think Oregon is the team to beat. He announces in a couple weeks.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Went to DD to see how they were reacting to Norvell and here was a shortlist posted for the new OC
Short list for new OC:
Danny white
Jon gruden
Bill cowher
Rudy carpenter
I lol'd at Cowher and Gruden
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

What, no lol for Rudy Carpenter? :D
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hell, I'd lol at Danny White. Dude is one of the dumbest former pro quarterbacks who still thinks he can coach.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

catinfl wrote:Went to DD to see how they were reacting to Norvell and here was a shortlist posted for the new OC
Short list for new OC:
Danny white
Jon gruden
Bill cowher
Rudy carpenter
I lol'd at Cowher and Gruden
Shouldn't this be in the 'ASSU is a clown school thread', or the 'fuck ASU' thread? ;)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

catgrad97 wrote:Hell, I'd lol at Danny White. Dude is one of the dumbest former pro quarterbacks who still thinks he can coach.

Didn't he win a bunch of arena bowls with a pretty prolific offense? I want no part of the 70's devil tree.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, the Arizona Rattlers argument. Gene Nudo, the GM that put those teams together, pretty much shot that down after letting White walk and winning a couple titles himself.

Danny White is not a coach who could ever answer well to Todd Graham, no more than Frank Kush, his mentor, could. He doesn't have the humility or the coaching intelligence.
Scummy Dick Douglas

SCCats wrote:What, no lol for Rudy Carpenter? :D
Rudy Carpenter was your fourth sign the list was a joke. ASU fans generally hate that guy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Rudy Carpenter was your fourth sign the list was a joke. ASU fans generally hate that guy.
They do? Why?
Scummy Dick Douglas

Chicat wrote:
They do? Why?
He is a super douche, always has been really. Wasn't liked by his teammates when at ASU, very self-centered, soft, and is seemingly always looking to get publicity at the detriment of ASU football.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
They do? Why?
He is a super douche, always has been really. Wasn't liked by his teammates when at ASU, very self-centered, soft, and is seemingly always looking to get publicity at the detriment of ASU football.
Sounds like a perfect fit for the ASSu coaching staff.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
They do? Why?
Sounds like a perfect fit for the ASSu coaching staff.
Definitely not an OKG.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
They do? Why?
That just described every asu qb since Danny White
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:
They do? Why?
a super douche,
very self-centered
soft
Should make him president of the school.
krissyp

Post by krissyp »

Oh I thought he was recently disliked because he was the first to expose the truth about Bo.
Scummy Dick Douglas

krissyp wrote:Oh I thought he was recently disliked because he was the first to expose the truth about Bo.
No. Watch his last year or two as QB at ASU, and you will notice little things... teammates not helping him off the ground after getting sacked/hit, teammates keeping their distance from him on the sidelines. Rudy Carpenter loves him some Rudy Carpenter.

As far as the Bo Graham thing went, the story getting out was not the issue. Being a former player it was shitty on his part to be the one to break the news. I am sure you guys would feel the same way if a former player was eager to constantly stir up shit on the program. It is actually quite normal for players from past regimes to not be enamored with the current group of coaches. Its another thing entirely to draw attention to yourself at the expense of your alma mater.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So what your saying that the your finding out what we already knew about rudy carpenter.
Scummy Dick Douglas

CalStateTempe wrote:So what your saying that the your finding out what we already knew about rudy carpenter.
No. I have known about his douchebaggery since he was a freshman at ASU. Someone above asked why. I answered.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Best.Team.Ever
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I fell asleep but they scored to make it 41-36 with like 5 to go and CTG can't do the math? Seriously?

And his answer was we were supposed to go for 2 but didn't? Thats the best he could do? What a clown. He was barking all night at the one assistant who I think is the special teams coach and then he can't do the math. My oh my
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

This team is the best 7 loss team of all time!!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:
They do? Why?
That just described every asu qb since before[/] Danny White

FYP. Danny White blazed the trail for ASU QB douchiness... he did not precede it.

Pretty pathetic that the highlight of my CFB post-season thus far was watching the gerbils implode last night against WVU. I am very happy I stayed awake to witness it. Good on Holgorsen; he beat ASU on the road in his first try... and with a 3-3-5 defensive scheme, no less. :o

The only time the Cats gave me more joy during the regular season was when they beat Utah.