Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

teemackdee

Penn State

Post by teemackdee »

Chicat

Re: Penn State back in post season this year

Post by Chicat »

Good day to announce that.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

I'm pretty interested to find out what the total punishment was for Penn State for allowing and covering up a decade of child rape as they seem to be undoing the post season bans, fine, etc. If anyone comes upon an article about that would they please post it.

Side comment from SCCat: It's going to be pretty odd if the total Penn State punishment for allowing and covering up a decade of child rape ends up being less of a punishment or even somewhat similar to the punishment USC took for Reggie Bush.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

if everything is gone now including the probation, then all they will have done is had a 2 year bowl ban, a loss of 30 scholarships over 3 years and a (i think it was) $60 million fine.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

ASUHATER! wrote:if everything is gone now including the probation, then all they will have done is had a 2 year bowl ban, a loss of 30 scholarships over 3 years and a (i think it was) $60 million fine.
Who gets the $60M? Does it go to a charity benefiting abused children?
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:if everything is gone now including the probation, then all they will have done is had a 2 year bowl ban, a loss of 30 scholarships over 3 years and a (i think it was) $60 million fine.
HARRISBURG, Pa. -- College sports' governing body said in a new court filing that it is willing to let Pennsylvania control the $60 million fine Penn State is paying over its handling of the Jerry Sandusky molestation scandal.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... state-fine

It looks like the state of Pennsylvania is going to pay a $60M fine...to itself.

Assuming that basically goes away, it would just be a 2 year bowl ban and loss of 30 scholis?

I think that was less than what USC got (particularly in light of the fact they stripped a natty)?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The NCAA couldn't let the NFL look bad for that long, they had to rush in so everyone could refocus...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

@USCFootballNews: Today's lesson for ADs: if you catch your coach molesting children, just make sure nobody's parents are getting cozy with agents.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hey, kids! I've just come by today to teach you how to say "Up Yours" to the NCAA.

Step One: Put up your right fist.
Step Two: Extend your middle finger.

Well done.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

No one could argue that the Penn State football program did not pay a severe price for the Jerry Sandusky child-abuse scandal.

Sure, there were people who believed then and perhaps now that the Nittany Lions deserved the death penalty for the school's role in the former assistant coach's horrific crimes, and there are valid, moral reasons for that opinion. But Penn State has served a two-year bowl ban, surrendered dozens of scholarships, paid a $60 million fine, surrendered millions more in Big Ten bowl revenues, and dealt with an immeasurable stain on its reputation.
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... to-be-back

Fucking delusional.

The feeling I get from this article, from what seems like a majority of Penn State fans I see posting and even from a couple Penn State fans I have personally talked to about this is basically "We don't give a shit about raped kids and a conspiracy at the highest levels to cover it up when you start comparing that to our college football team."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I tend to agree, but literally everyone associated with the cover up is now gone from the school, dead, out of a job, in jail or being sued. Kinda hard to justify a bunch of 18 year old kids and coaches and administrators who weren't there when this happened and had nothing to do with it.

SCCat

Post by SCCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I tend to agree, but literally everyone associated with the cover up is now gone from the school, dead, out of a job, in jail or being sued. Kinda hard to justify a bunch of 18 year old kids and coaches and administrators who weren't there when this happened and had nothing to do with it.
True.

Except for the fact that the NCAA does it all the time.

Under a similar rational, none of Reggie Bush's teammates took cash. So why should they be effected by his action? And none of the potential recruits that might come to USC in the next year or year after that similarly had anything to do with it, so why should they be effected?

The coverup was conducted by the school. They should've received one year of death penalty for every year they covered up Sandusky's actions.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

In reality, the ncaa should've had nothing to do with this. The ncaa isn't a law enforcement or judicial organization. Obviously penn state deserved some kind of punishment, but it really wasn't the ncaa's business.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NCAA logic:

1. One player makes money off his athletic prowess. Result: drop the hammer on his school.
2. One school covers up child rape for a decade and a half. Result: compassion shown to the school.

This is why I get excited at news developments that seem to indicate the NCAA's demise. The "punishing current players for the past," that is every NCAA sanction ever handed down. Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush aren't suffering for USC's sanctions. The "it's a criminal matter, not a compliance thing" argument is dumb too. Right, it's criminal, not compliance. Criminal behavior is way worse than compliance violations.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

from last night:

https://vine.co/v/Oz51Bvgg7hr/embed

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/Oz51Bvgg7hr/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Here's a new one: what happened at Penn State was so horrible that NCAA sanctions are pointless.

The apologists on this are amazing.
No amount of bowl bans, scholarship limits and financial penalties are going to heal the psychological wounds inflicted by Sandusky. The NCAA sanction commensurate with those victims' pain doesn't exist -- and never will. So let's quit pretending that this an Old Testament, eye-for-an-eye situation. It isn't. It can't be.
From the same article, literally just a couple sentences above this paragraph.
I've heard from USC followers (and to a lesser extent, Miami followers) who are enraged and confounded over the NCAA's decision to essentially commute Penn State's sanctions for time served. They accuse the NCAA of having a double standard, applying one set of penalties to the USC and Miami programs and another set of more flexible penalties against Penn State.

And they're right: The NCAA did a Peyton Manning, yelled, "Omaha! Omaha!" at the line of scrimmage and called a sanctions audible. Penn State was off the hook. Sort of. Was the NCAA inconsistent in its handling of those cases? Yes. Is the NCAA a cautionary tale of bureaucracy on steroids? Of course. Are NCAA president Mark Emmert's days numbered? Roger that.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... all-season
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The first paragraph you quoted is absolutely correct. No amount of meaningless football sanctions that only hurt innocent people do nothing for victims.

SCCat

Post by SCCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:The first paragraph you quoted is absolutely correct. No amount of meaningless football sanctions that only hurt innocent people do nothing for victims.
So because what happened was so horrible, the NCAA should do nothing?

It kinda sounds like the old proverb: kill one man and you go to jail. Kill a million men and you're King.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:The first paragraph you quoted is absolutely correct. No amount of meaningless football sanctions that only hurt innocent people do nothing for victims.
It's a punishment. Just like USC and Miami were punished. The NCAA's entire system of sanctions is punitive, but apparently, some things are more deserving of punishment than others.

The NCAA is a joke.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

the ncaa should've had absolutely nothing to do with the penn state case. the usc and penn state cases are so completely different that they aren't even relatable at all. one was a matter of cheating in football, one was a purely criminal manner that the ncaa had no jurisdiction in whatsoever. if the judicial system imposed some kind of penalties or sanctions on penn state, then that would be fine, but punishing coaches and administrators and players and fans that had absolutely nothing to do with it, instead of punishing the actual perpetrators just makes no sense. the ncaa can't punish the people responsible so they just punish innocent people to feel like they are doing something, when it's not their right to do anything in this criminal, non ncaa related case.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:the ncaa should've had absolutely nothing to do with the penn state case. the usc and penn state cases are so completely different that they aren't even relatable at all. one was a matter of cheating in football, one was a purely criminal manner that the ncaa had no jurisdiction in whatsoever. if the judicial system imposed some kind of penalties or sanctions on penn state, then that would be fine, but punishing coaches and administrators and players and fans that had absolutely nothing to do with it, instead of punishing the actual perpetrators just makes no sense. the ncaa can't punish the people responsible so they just punish innocent people to feel like they are doing something, when it's not their right to do anything in this criminal, non ncaa related case.
The NCAA writes its own rules and defines its own jurisdiction. There's no Moses returning from Mt. Sinai with a list of NCAA rules. The rules and jurisdiction are what the NCAA wants them to be.

Psu's administration covered for Sandusky for years through a combination of inaction and outright coverup and allowed him to keep raping kids on their property. If that isn't something the NCAA is concerned with, shame on the NCAA. The people who bear the brunt of NCAA sanctions are always the people left behind, not the principals.

PSU is the one who should be punished, and they're far from innocent.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

For fair disclosure, I think PSU should have received the death penalty for at least one year. What they did went far beyond anything we've ever seen before, except maybe Baylor basketball.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

anyone that was at psu that had anything to do with the coverup is no longer there. it makes no sense to punish an inanimate institution. no one that is currently there has anything to do with it.

and the ncaa, last time i looked, is not part of the justice department. they have 0 standing to make punishments in judicial/legal cases. that is what courts are for. there is just no legitimate reason to punish an inanimate group of buildings or completely innocent people, especially by an institution that has no right to interfere in legal matters.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:anyone that was at psu that had anything to do with the coverup is no longer there. it makes no sense to punish an inanimate institution. no one that is currently there has anything to do with it.

and the ncaa, last time i looked, is not part of the justice department. they have 0 standing to make punishments in judicial/legal cases. that is what courts are for. there is just no legitimate reason to punish an inanimate group of buildings or completely innocent people, especially by an institution that has no right to interfere in legal matters.
Imposing a separate punishment on PSU wouldn't interfere with the legal process. It would augment it. I agree the people involved should be held responsible through the legal process, but an NCAA punishment doesn't change whether they are.

The innocent people or punishing the entity doesn't do much for me. Buck Allen is USC's current running back. He had nothing to do with Reggie Bush's family getting a house, but he deals with their lack of depth as a result of sanctions. Al Golden wasn't helping Nevin Shaprio pay for abortions at Miami, but he deals with the sanctions.

If we don't punish the institution, the NCAA has no punishment. That's why lack of institutional control and institutional failure are such big terms to the NCAA. PSU had a stunning institutional failure.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

lack of institutional control and institutional failure are there for things that the ncaa regulates. that is things like academic fraud, paying players, cheating, rule bending. it has absolutely nothing to do with legal issues. i'll say again, the ncaa has no jurisdiction or right to punish a school because of something like this. that is what the courts are for. i'm 100% behind it if somehow the legal system put sanctions or penalties or a censure or cease and desist or something on the football program. but it is completely outside of the ncaa's jurisdiction and wheelhouse. they do not deal with legal issues. courts do.

and personally i think it is stupid for the ncaa to punish schools/players in football cheating matters if current players/coaches/administrators had nothing to do with it. punishments should go to those who created the issues. period, end of story.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Seen at the Rutgers / Penn St game tailgate.

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Penn State fans planning 'Joe-out' this Saturday to honor Paterno

It's a divisive show of support considering Paterno lost his job in November 2011 due to his role in the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.
“We want to make an impact, as Joe would say,” Penn State grad Laurie Anne Stannell told the Centre Daily Times.

“He will forever stand as a great founder of our university, shoulder to shoulder with Atherton, Beaver, Pattee, Sparks and more. There will be other coaches, other presidents, other trustees and great men in Penn State’s future, but that does not mean we should forget this one man, who made Penn State great. My family and I eagerly await the future — but we will never forget to honor Joe,” said Susan Beck Wilson.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... ame-091614
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

To honor Joe, they should invite children who've been sexually abused to midfield and turn their backs on them.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

The equivocation is amazing. So now that the Governor of Pennsylvania has lost his job, he's got an opinion on Paterno (I don't know if he shared this opinion or not before he lost his job, but if he didn't and he's just sharing it now, that means he thought his opinion wasn't politically palatable...which it isn't).
Joe Paterno "probably" should have finished out the 2011 season instead of being fired, outgoing Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett told The Philadelphia Inquirer on Thursday.

"They probably shouldn't have fired him, they probably should've suspended him," Corbett told the Inquirer. "He probably should have been given the last three games, not on the sideline."
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... rbett-says

So for being complicit in and having a ten year long child molestation action occur during your watch, you should be reprimanded but only with a suspension so you can't coach from the sidelines but can still coach from the box?

That's such an amazingly bad take it's difficult to know what to say. So he realizes Paterno has done something wrong and should be punished, but this isn't as bad as other things that might get one fired like, for example, losing too many games.

What an ass.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Did Joe even coach any more?
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Lol it's actually even worse than I thought it was. From the same article linked above...
ESPN's Don Van Natta Jr. reported in June 2013 that Corbett was a central character in the firing of Paterno. Not only did Corbett serve as the state attorney general when police investigated Sandusky in the late 1990s, but he also one of the main voices in the firing of the longtime coach.

"Something not very good happened," Corbett told reporters on Nov. 9, 2012. "We have to ... take the bull by the horns and fix it. Quickly."

One of Penn State's current members on the board of trustees, Anthony Lubrano, wasn't buying Corbett's explanation to the Inquirer.

"It seems rather disingenuous to make that statement, given he made the charge to fire Paterno," Lubrano told ESPN.com. "Frankly, it shows what a poor politician he is. He waited until after the election to admit he made a mistake."

Corbett lost his re-election bid for governor Tuesday. He acknowledged to the Inquirer that his involvement with Penn State "might have been one factor" in losing the race to Tom Wolf.
So the Governor was one of the people that came out strongly and said Paterno should be fired. By the way Governor, your initial instincts were right. Then after the election (that he loses) he changes his mind(?)/semi admits he was wrong(?), moving to the above rational that in many ways couldn't possibly be worse, then insinuates that he might have lose the election for Governor of Pennsylvaina because of his firing of Paterno?

Honestly, I could see the people of Pennsylvania punishing the Governor for this. I don't think I've ever met a more mypoic/insane/equivocator/totally wrong group of people than Penn State fan over this.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Merkin wrote:Did Joe even coach any more?
No his ass was appropriately canned.

The Governor is now backtracking and saying he shouldn't have been fired, just suspended but allowed to coach from the sidelines.
Last edited by SCCat on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SCCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Did Joe even coach any more?
No he ass was appropriately canned.

The Governor is now backtracking and saying he shouldn't have been fired, just suspended but allowed to coach from the sidelines.

I miss-phrased my comment, I meant to say: "did Joe coach when he was still at Penn State?". I thought he delegated everything to his assistants.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Corbett is trying to set himself up with a cushy post-loss job which will be tough to come by if he's known as one of the guys who got Saint Joe fired and dragged his name through the mud . . . even though that's exactly what JoPa deserved.

The cult of Penn State is strong in Western Pennsylvania. If Corbett is known as the guy who fired JoPa, he couldn't get a job cleaning roadkill off the highways.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Chicat wrote:Corbett is trying to set himself up with a cushy post-loss job which will be tough to come by if he's known as one of the guys who got Saint Joe fired and dragged his name through the mud . . . even though that's exactly what JoPa deserved.

The cult of Penn State is strong in Western Pennsylvania. If Corbett is known as the guy who fired JoPa, he couldn't get a job cleaning roadkill off the highways.
I actually met Corbett when I was in law school, while I believe he was still with the US Attorney's office. He struck me as no-nonsense and pretty straight laced. He was friends with the Democratic powers that be in Pittsburgh despite his party affiliation.

What actually screwed him was he made a lot of promises he couldn't keep because he couldn't get the good old boys - on either side of the aisle - to back him in his agenda. What was worse is he was forced to support education cuts - a biiiiig no no in the over-bloated public education system in PA>

Add on that the whole zealotry in support of Joe Pa, and he was doomed. It's too bad though, he's a good guy. Probably too good for the corruption that runs the state where the dead vote and child rapists are protected with fervor.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- A newly disclosed email from the NCAA's top lawyer documents just how close Penn State came to having its football program shut down due to the Jerry Sandusky child abuse scandal.

It says the school's "cooperation and transparency" saved the program.

The email from lawyer Donald Remy to a school attorney was attached to a court filing Thursday, as the NCAA battles with two Pennsylvania officials over penalties that were imposed on Penn State.

The email establishes that on July 17, 2012, six days before the Penn State sanctions were announced, a majority on the NCAA executive committee favored the "death penalty," shutting down the football program.

The school was instead fined $60 million, banned from bowl games for four years, stripped of 112 wins and lost some football scholarships.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... th-penalty

So the NCAA was initially in favor of the death penalty but since it got such cooperation from Penn State and Penn State agreed to such big penalties, the NCAA didn't give them the death penalty (as they should have).

And then as soon as the NCAA decided to not give Penn State the death penalty, Penn State started fighting the NCAA tooth and nail.

#bringbackthedeathpenalty
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SCCat wrote:
HARRISBURG, Pa. -- A newly disclosed email from the NCAA's top lawyer documents just how close Penn State came to having its football program shut down due to the Jerry Sandusky child abuse scandal.

It says the school's "cooperation and transparency" saved the program.

The email from lawyer Donald Remy to a school attorney was attached to a court filing Thursday, as the NCAA battles with two Pennsylvania officials over penalties that were imposed on Penn State.

The email establishes that on July 17, 2012, six days before the Penn State sanctions were announced, a majority on the NCAA executive committee favored the "death penalty," shutting down the football program.

The school was instead fined $60 million, banned from bowl games for four years, stripped of 112 wins and lost some football scholarships.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... th-penalty

So the NCAA was initially in favor of the death penalty but since it got such cooperation from Penn State and Penn State agreed to such big penalties, the NCAA didn't give them the death penalty (as they should have).

And then as soon as the NCAA decided to not give Penn State the death penalty, Penn State started fighting the NCAA tooth and nail.

#bringbackthedeathpenalty
Which was USC's big mistake with the Reggie Bush situation. Cooperate first, then be dicks about it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Report: Joe Paterno allegedly told of Jerry Sandusky sex abuse in 1976

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... 50ac797afe

legedly told in 1976 about an accusation of child sexual abuse by former assistant Jerry Sandusky, according to a court order cited in a story published by PennLive.

The PennLive story cites a court order connected to insurance coverage case involving Penn State. The order includes a line that one of the school’s insurers has claimed “in 1976, a child allegedly reported to PSU’s Head Coach Joseph Paterno that he (the child) was sexually molested by Sandusky.” The filing also cites incidents of other assistant football coaches witnessing “inappropriate contact between Sandusky and unidentified children.”

Sandusky was convicted of 45 counts of child sex abuse in June 2012, five months after Paterno’s death, and is serving 30 to 60 years in prison. Lawyers for Sandusky, 72, have been in court this week attempting to overturn his conviction.

Penn State spokesman Lawrence Lokman said school officials involved in cases related to the Sandusky scandal were aware of the new allegations contained in the insurance case in a broad sense. “Many, many people, potential victims and victims have come forward to the university as part of that (settlement) process,” Lokman said told the website. “We do not talk about their specific circumstances.”

If true, this would be a significant development in the timeline of when Paterno allegedly was aware of Sandusky’s actions. Reports, including from special investigator, Louis Freeh, have said Paterno was aware of allegations against Sandusky from 1998.

Before his death, Paterno maintained he went to superiors in 2001 when he first became aware of an allegation against Sandusky.

"Over the past four-and-a-half years Joe Paterno's conduct has been scrutinized by an endless list of investigators and attorneys," the Paterno family's attorney, Wick Sollers, said in a statement in obtained by PennLive.

"Through all of this review there has never been any evidence of inappropriate conduct by Coach Paterno. To the contrary, the evidence clearly shows he shared information with his superiors as appropriate.

"An allegation now about an alleged event 40 years ago, as represented by a single line in a court document regarding an insurance issue, with no corroborating evidence, does not change the facts. Joe Paterno did not, at any time, cover up conduct by Jerry Sandusky."
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

1976?

Penn state fans, "so?"

Thirty plus years. Amazing. Sandusky is the devil and joe paterno was his sidekick.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:1976?

Penn state fans, "so?"

Thirty plus years. Amazing. Sandusky is the devil and joe paterno was his sidekick.
In 86, Miami were the bad guys against clean-cut PSU in the title game.

If true, PSU FB should just go straight to the death penalty.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Ped State.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Death Penalty. Just raze the stadium.

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Mon May 09, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

71 claim was paid by PSU. Not sure how the PSU prez keeps denying any knowledge.
Sid

Post by Sid »

ASUHATER! wrote:In reality, the ncaa should've had nothing to do with this. The ncaa isn't a law enforcement or judicial organization. Obviously penn state deserved some kind of punishment, but it really wasn't the ncaa's business.
Late to the party on this thread. I forget, why were the kids on the PSU property? My understanding was this was a youth football camp held on the PSU campus. Might of been something completely different, but if it was football related I don't know why you would think the NCCA shouldn't get involved?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sid wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:In reality, the ncaa should've had nothing to do with this. The ncaa isn't a law enforcement or judicial organization. Obviously penn state deserved some kind of punishment, but it really wasn't the ncaa's business.
Late to the party on this thread. I forget, why were the kids on the PSU property? My understanding was this was a youth football camp held on the PSU campus. Might of been something completely different, but if it was football related I don't know why you would think the NCCA shouldn't get involved?
Why did PSU cover up one of their football coaches raping kids? Couldn't have been football related.

I mean, there's just no way that PSU's silence was motivated by a desire to sweep Sandusky under the rug to go on winning championships and deifying Joepa.

Sarcasm off, NCAA jurisdiction arguments are comical. The coverup was all about football and not tainting the program. It just gets worse and worse when you realize how far back allegations went and how much PSU did to help Sandusky after. Sandusky isn't in the locker room shower raping a kid in the late 90's if it isn't for PSU's desire to protect football, the golden goose.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Let's be honest: Without football, Penn State isn't much of an institution of anything.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Joe knew about it in '76...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... d-records/" target="_blank

I would melt that statue of him down and pour it in a hole in the ground and bury it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Reaction from Penn State
Paterno's family issued a statement in response to the documents, which were part of a civil suit between Penn State and Pennsylvania Manufacturers' Association.
"The materials released today relating to Joe Paterno allege a conversation that occurred decades ago where all parties except the accuser are now dead," the statement read in part.
As previously reported by CNN, documents filed in the case in May indicate that Paterno was aware of allegations against Sandusky as early as 1976.
Penn State President Eric J. Barron additionally issued a statement regarding the documents' release, emphasizing that "alleged knowledge of former Penn State employees is not proven, and should not be treated as such."
"Penn State's overriding concern has been, and remains, for the victims of Jerry Sandusky," the statement continued. "While individuals hold different opinions, and may draw different inferences from the testimony about former Penn State employees, speculation by Penn State is not useful."