azgreg

Re: Penn State back in post season this year

Post by azgreg »

The replies are brutal.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: The replies are brutal.
Not the most popular answer, but the best.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So, DeAndre Levy gives a fun answer.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1807 ... rno-leg://" target="_blank

That Penn State fans don't take well.

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/f ... eg.155868/" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That entire family should just kill themselves.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

good lord. i'm sure Jerry had his way with Jeffrey when he was younger too. makes sense that it keeps getting passed on.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Former Ped State President convicted in 2001 Sandusky cover up.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/ex-pe ... d-sandusky" target="_blank

This is 10 years before Jerry got busted.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

And finally...

Last-ditch effort to reframe Joe Paterno's legacy fizzles out
With fiery rhetoric from high-powered attorneys and surrogates such as a former Pennsylvania governor, four years ago the family of the late Joe Paterno announced they were suing the NCAA. The suit sought to overturn NCAA sanctions against Paterno’s old Nittany Lion football program. It was mostly about what the family deemed unfair and irreparable harm the NCAA inflicted on Paterno due to its use of the Freeh Report in leveling the penalties.
The family voluntarily filed a motion in Centre County Court Friday to discontinue the case “with prejudice,” meaning it’s over for good.

There was no settlement here. There were no considerations. This was a one-sided decision. After all this time, the family just gave up on this avenue. The NCAA was still muscled up for a fight. The timing wasn’t a coincidence. Plaintiff attorneys were facing a Friday afternoon deadline to file its discovery that backed up its claims on the case.

Instead they quit.
This turn of events represents another bitter and humiliating chapter in this story for Paterno supporters.
It was always going to be a tough road, defending multi decade child molesters and their enablers.

And in the end the road shit on them, as anyone who was rational knew it would.

So there will be no re-framing of Joe's legacy. He enabled child molesters for decades. The end.

https://sports.yahoo.com/last-ditch-eff ... 19386.html" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Just pleaded guilty to all 14 counts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Re: Penn State

Post by azgreg »

Something about an apple and a tree come to mind.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

azgreg wrote:Something about an apple and a tree come to mind.
Victims often become perpetrators, unfortunately.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Colorado State just sold naming rights to its stadium for 57 million.

If I had 50 million, I'd offer it to Penn State to rename their stadium NAMBLA Memorial Stadium.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Colorado State just sold naming rights to its stadium for 57 million.

If I had 50 million, I'd offer it to Penn State to rename their stadium NAMBLA Memorial Stadium.
It was actually only $37 million. Either way how the hell has Arizona not sold its naming rights for its stadium for the same amount? CSU can get $2.5 million per year for that, but we can't?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Colorado State just sold naming rights to its stadium for 57 million.

It was actually only $37 million. Either way how the hell has Arizona not sold its naming rights for its stadium for the same amount? CSU can get $2.5 million per year for that, but we can't?
There was a second private donation for 20 mil to keep the Sonny Lubick name combined with the new name, so 57 total.

And yeah, Arizona needs to get on that.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

There was a second private donation for 20 mil to keep the Sonny Lubick name combined with the new name, so 57 total.

And yeah, Arizona needs to get on that.
I have heard Arizona has looked into it in the past but my best guess with Bobby Robbins leading the charge with Heeke, that the second phase of the re-development of the stadium comes from selling naming rights. Has to be as we still have roughly $125M to re-do upper East side, South side, and tear down and rebuilding of the West side. We already have used up all the student fee which isn't getting raised anytime soon, PAC 12 revenues I dont think are going up much soon to raise debt around it, and zero chance we raise anything close to $125M from donors to re-do the stadium. Naming rights is the next logical income source

Arizona Stadium is a throwaway name anyways, I could care less what a name of a stadium is called. If it leads to better seats, better restrooms, better concession stands, easier access in or out, awesome. Just a name on a wall anyways.

I say all of this after ridiculing a bunch of my USC buddies for United Airlines Memorial Coliseum and #Flighton. Worst hashtag ever
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Rename it..it will always be Arizona Stadium to me.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... eNumber=10

*reads the whole thing*

*reads the last bit a second time*

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. . . . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

If I do have children they can go to school wherever they would like but I would never pay a cent of tuition for Penn State or Baylor.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UofAlum05 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:06 am If I do have children they can go to school wherever they would like but I would never pay a cent of tuition for Penn State or Baylor.
I drove by Penn State yesterday on the way to Columbus Ohio where my daughter is visiting. The school is huge and has so much more than luring sexual predators. Maybe because it's in the middle of nowhere, who knows? Great campus and I know a lot of alumni who are good guys.

BTW, my daughter is down to tOSU and Bama. Her football Saturday's are not going to suck.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:21 am
UofAlum05 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:06 am If I do have children they can go to school wherever they would like but I would never pay a cent of tuition for Penn State or Baylor.
I drove by Penn State yesterday on the way to Columbus Ohio where my daughter is visiting. The school is huge and has so much more than luring sexual predators. Maybe because it's in the middle of nowhere, who knows? Great campus and I know a lot of alumni who are good guys.

BTW, my daughter is down to tOSU and Bama. Her football Saturday's are not going to suck.
Columbus is an awesome city, but who in the hell would ever choice to relocate to Alabama other than to play for the football team?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ghostwhitehorse wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:35 am *reads the whole thing*

*reads the last bit a second time*

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. . . . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That whole article was a gut punch.

May Joe Paterno rot in hell.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:27 pm

Columbus is an awesome city, but who in the hell would ever choice to relocate to Alabama other than to play for the football team?
First of all, my daughter is not relocating for life...she is attending college.

Second, Alabama has one of the better dance programs in the country which is a major part of her decision on where to go. Along with being able to obtain a specific dual major, being on a nationally ranked dance team, going to a "big" school, and...getting significant scholarship money.

There's lots of reasons.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:14 pm

First of all, my daughter is not relocating for life...she is attending college.

Second, Alabama has one of the better dance programs in the country which is a major part of her decision on where to go. Along with being able to obtain a specific dual major, being on a nationally ranked dance team, going to a "big" school, and...getting significant scholarship money.

There's lots of reasons.

Is she ready for the Connecticut to Alabama culture shock?

I don't think I could live anywhere in the South other than maybe Atlanta, Charlotte, or Nashville (lived in FL 2 years in the 90s) I recently interviewed for a job in Huntsville (I've traveled there for work quite a bit). It would be a 2 or 3 year thing to up my gov't pension from years ago and then heading into retirement but even if I get an offer there's a good chance I'll turn it down.
-JB
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:27 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:14 pm

There's lots of reasons.

Is she ready for the Connecticut to Alabama culture shock?

I don't think I could live anywhere in the South other than maybe Atlanta, Charlotte, or Nashville (lived in FL 2 years in the 90s) I recently interviewed for a job in Huntsville (I've traveled there for work quite a bit). It would be a 2 or 3 year thing to up my gov't pension from years ago and then heading into retirement but even if I get an offer there's a good chance I'll turn it down.
Good question. Not sure. We will find out as we are probably heading down there to see. I've talked to a few people who had kids go to Alabama (and not from the South) and they said they loved it.

Somebody said today the difference between the schools is that on football Saturday's the girls at tOSU wear game day garb while girls at Alabama are in heels and dresses. I think the right overall package is the tOSU. The only differentiator so far is that tOSU already locked their dance team since auditions were last September plus Alabama is giving her a significant scholarship chunk. But on the flip side tOSU has the best dance program in the country.

Interesting side note for anyone going through college admittance this year, Every school is saying they are receiving record applications compared to last year due to COVID. Today they said tOSU received over 78,000 freshman applications and accepted just 7,900 students. That's a 10% acceptance rate, which in normal years is around 50%.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That was a very difficult read. To get out of prison twice(so many failed to stop this predator but failed) and wreak more havoc was very disappointing to read. So many lives impacted. Hard to imagine what humans can and are willing to do to one another.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I love Lassie but this is taking it a bit too far…
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

WTF.....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:shock:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports ... 40215.html
-JB
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Well it’s been some time now, but even now I don’t think I’ve met a Penn State athletics fan since this came out that showed to me they cared more about the raped kids than they did about Penn State athletics, defending the university, defending Joe Paterno, deflecting/casting blame anywhere else they could, etc.

And I ask each one I bump into.

And I’m zero for however many I’ve asked over the years.

So this is a terrible idea. And absolutely unsurprising.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

It's really a shame and quite sad that college football is the most important thing in people's lives.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:07 pm Well it’s been some time now, but even now I don’t think I’ve met a Penn State athletics fan since this came out that showed to me they cared more about the raped kids than they did about Penn State athletics, defending the university, defending Joe Paterno, deflecting/casting blame anywhere else they could, etc.

And I ask each one I bump into.

And I’m zero for however many I’ve asked over the years.

So this is a terrible idea. And absolutely unsurprising.
Stopped hanging out with a fairly new but good friend when he started defending Penn State and Paterno. The conspiracy theory he laid out to me was shocking in how desperate he was to convince me that no kids actually even got raped and how it was all manufactured by crooked state politicians to bring down a great man to cover up the real crimes that were going unsolved.

It was stomach-churning. I don’t text him any more.