Embedding a Tweet

Discuss the new board and what we want it to be and see announcements and feature updates.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Embedding a Tweet

Post by Chicat »

To embed a tweet, paste the link to the tweet between the tags.

Clicking on the timestamp on the tweet will open it as it's own page. Then copy the link from your browser:

https://twitter.com/HeyJennyLeone/statu ... 4239007744
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Re: Embedding a Tweet

Post by Merkin »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Thank you for the information. Makes tweets look more "on point" than a cut y paste method.
Salty

Post by Salty »

How do you post a youtube video again
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Salty wrote:How do you post a youtube video again

Click the youtube button, paste the embed code between the brackets.

You can also quote one that works to see what a good one looks like.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Is anyone else having trouble seeing embedded tweets using Chrome?
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Sidewinder wrote:Is anyone else having trouble seeing embedded tweets using Chrome?
chrome is all I use, but I do notice times when pages are realllly slow to load and it's usually tweets that are causing it.

then sometimes they don't show right, only text.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

For some reason I can no longer embed tweets from my phone.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:For some reason I can no longer embed tweets from my phone.

At some point they updated the Twitter app on my Android and the copy link to tweet function was gone. I have to use Twitter in a browser to get that to work now.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:For some reason I can no longer embed tweets from my phone.

At some point they updated the Twitter app on my Android and the copy link to tweet function was gone. I have to use Twitter in a browser to get that to work now.
Bllllllrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh....
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I figured it out.

When you get the link code it looks like...

//twitter.com/yahoosportsnba/status/969383713539637248?s=21

Which results in....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/yahoosportsnba/stat ... 37248?s=21[/tweet]

But if you remove the “?” and everything after (the last five symbols/digits) and put it in the tweet brackets, it works....
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

There's probably some updated code I can track down so we don't have to MacGyver it to post a tweet.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I thought I was losing my mind.

Thanks Chi!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The copy link function on my Twitter app also used to just grab the basic link, without all the garbage after the question mark that is there now.

Thanks for the "upgrade" Twitter!
-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Am I the only one who isn't seeing any tweets?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I can see them.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Ok Thanks!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Has anyone figured out a way to post an Instagram post?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:28 am Has anyone figured out a way to post an Instagram post?

Probably a feature UADevil would have to add.
-JB
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I'll look into it when I have a day off work.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Tweets are invisible - 100% invisible - on my android tablet. I can see that you have imbedded a tweet by clicking on the reply quotes button but there is no other indocation that they are there.

Why are we turning this into a sub-twitter site any way? The site is becomming quite unreadable.

Can't people make their own comments on subjects?.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That's the most boomer thing I've read on this site haha.

But really though, tweets are incredibly slow to load for some reason. Not sure why.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:11 pm That's the most boomer thing I've read on this site haha.

But really though, tweets are incredibly slow to load for some reason. Not sure why.
First of all, this Boomer has been working with computer technology since 1968 and throughout my entire career. I am not uneducated when it comes to technology, how it works, or how to find out how to use software. I am an early adopter of just about every new technology that comes out. I probably contributed to the development of some of your favorite "too complicated for Boomers" crap. So take that snide smugness and shove it where it makes you uncomfortable.

Second, tweets aren't loading 'slow' - they aren't appearing, at all on my Android tablet. On my Windows 11 machine they work fine, but on my Android tablet running a Firefox browser to browse THIS SITE, posts containing tweets DO NOT SHOW ANY EVIDENCE OF A TWEET BEING PRESENT - none at all. If that is all that is in the post, then what is shown is an empty post. If I click on the 'reply' button (the double quotes), then the http text shows in the preview window containing the link to the text.

If I chose, I can copy that link and paste it into a new window and go read the tweet - but why would I want to bother? If you are too damn lazy to describe the tweet or make a comment in your own words why should I be forced to jump through hoops to go to some other whackadoodle site?

I am reading "Bear Down Wildcats" not Twitter, but some threads here are turning out to be streams of these 'empty' tweet posts with nothing of value.

Understand that this is NOT a phpBB problem, necessarily. I read other phpBB sites where, on Android, tweets are replaced by a "loading tweet" icon. You have to click on the icon to get the tweet to load, but you know its there and can chose to load it or not. Here, there is no evidence of its existence (unless you pretend to respond).

Third, this would not be so irritating if folks would just not insert so many damn tweets instead of actual posts. I don't come here to read twitter. I come here to read Bear Down Wildcats which is a phpBB site NOT twitter. If you want to point people to 100 tweets then do it on fucking twitter for crying out loud.

Or at least put some readable text in your post like "Here is an interesting tweet some wacko said about wearing masks is a sign of the devil" or whatever the hell it is about. Then we can decide if it is worthwhile to go through the trouble of figuring out how to make it work.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Seriously though…. Is there anything more Boomer than having something not work only for you, and only under very specific circumstances, and demanding everyone else change their behavior to accommodate you?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea it's always the condescension and entitlement for me. I can't tell you how many times in my former customer service banking life I talked to Mr. Boomer White Man born 1940 whatever who screamed at me about their PhD and their experience with computers since 19 dickety two. Then I casually mention things like their browser or 0S being 8 versions out of date or the fact that they're on the wrong website entirely. God forbid I suggested they clear their cache. It was still always my fault haha.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

In Keith's defense, the only reason I'm ever forced to use Edge is because Tweets are so wonky on Firefox/BDW. On Firefox, used to be I had to excavate the Tweet exactly as he did: laboriously quoting, grabbing and animating the fucking thing only then to find out if it's the dumbest piece of shit time suck in the multi-verse. Since Devil's update things are way better and I have gone back to using Firefox, but still it's offends my entitlement (since the multi-verse was built by god solely out of devotion to my generation) because it often loads slowly. And that insults the seral nature of time which exists, you guessed it, because Boomers. So I put up with it for the sake of everyone else because none of you would exist if not for me being so special. Sartre foresaw the future lying in wait for Boomers when he said: Tedium is other people. I shoulder my cross, roll the boulder uphill, and soldier on. You're welcome kids.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Wish I could rep you here for that dove :lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:08 am In Keith's defense, the only reason I'm ever forced to use Edge is because Tweets are so wonky on Firefox/BDW. On Firefox, used to be I had to excavate the Tweet exactly as he did: laboriously quoting, grabbing and animating the fucking thing only then to find out if it's the dumbest piece of shit time suck in the multi-verse. Since Devil's update things are way better and I have gone back to using Firefox, but still it's offends my entitlement (since the multi-verse was built by god solely out of devotion to my generation) because it often loads slowly. And that insults the seral nature of time which exists, you guessed it, because Boomers. So I put up with it for the sake of everyone else because none of you would exist if not for me being so special. Sartre foresaw the future lying in wait for Boomers when he said: Tedium is other people. I shoulder my cross, roll the boulder uphill, and soldier on. You're welcome kids.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

For some reason ever since my OS updated I’m not seeing YouTube videos in posts.

Is this where I demand everyone stop posting videos or do a detailed written description of the videos they post?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:08 am In Keith's defense, the only reason I'm ever forced to use Edge is because Tweets are so wonky on Firefox/BDW. On Firefox, used to be I had to excavate the Tweet exactly as he did: laboriously quoting, grabbing and animating the fucking thing only then to find out if it's the dumbest piece of shit time suck in the multi-verse. Since Devil's update things are way better and I have gone back to using Firefox, but still it's offends my entitlement (since the multi-verse was built by god solely out of devotion to my generation) because it often loads slowly. And that insults the seral nature of time which exists, you guessed it, because Boomers. So I put up with it for the sake of everyone else because none of you would exist if not for me being so special. Sartre foresaw the future lying in wait for Boomers when he said: Tedium is other people. I shoulder my cross, roll the boulder uphill, and soldier on. You're welcome kids.
I am considering switching to Chrome on Android - maybe the problem is in Firefox. Possibly also resetting to factory settings and rebuilding applications.

My tablet has been complaining about being low on memory for awhile, and it seems I just cannot delete enough apps and stuff. I've got all possible apps and data operating on an external microSD card, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I suspect that Android is losing track of memory allocations and never releasing them. Maybe a factory reset will get it back.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Chrome seems to be just fine. I may have just been turned to the 'dark side'.

I have always been a fan of Firefox, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I use Chrome 99% of the time.

It gets behind paywalls such as the Tucson Citizen and other sites by going into incognito mode.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Have to delete a lot more characters on tweets now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not in Chrome on a Windows PC. Haven't had to delete any characters in quite some time.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:29 pm Have to delete a lot more characters on tweets now.
Not on IOS/Safari. But YouTube videos no longer appear at all.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

YouTube videos appear on IOS/Safari for me.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I lost them after updating to 15.2.1
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

That's what I'm on and they still show up. Odd. I have a XS Max, so maybe it's that for some reason?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Maybe. I’m on an XR. But if they’re running the same operating software you’d think everything would look the same, right?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RichardCranium wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:59 pm Tweets are invisible - 100% invisible - on my android tablet. I can see that you have imbedded a tweet by clicking on the reply quotes button but there is no other indocation that they are there.

Why are we turning this into a sub-twitter site any way? The site is becomming quite unreadable.

RC,
You might get your wish from me at least. If the sale to Musk goes through (looks like Friday? ) I'm deleting my Twitter account.
-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:38 pm
RichardCranium wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:59 pm Tweets are invisible - 100% invisible - on my android tablet. I can see that you have imbedded a tweet by clicking on the reply quotes button but there is no other indocation that they are there.

RC,
You might get your wish from me at least. If the sale to Musk goes through (looks like Friday? ) I'm deleting my Twitter account.
Definitely happening
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Now that Bluesky is open to everyone, can we get support for posting from Bluesky?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:03 pm Now that Bluesky is open to everyone, can we get support for posting from Bluesky?
I posted in another thread that I would like to see support for Threads so we can dump the place formerly known as Twitter and that DB.
-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:06 pm
84Cat wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:03 pm Now that Bluesky is open to everyone, can we get support for posting from Bluesky?
I posted in another thread that I would like to see support for Threads so we can dump the place formerly known as Twitter and that DB.
It pains me that youse two are roughly my age and I have no idea what you're going on about.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:34 pm
It pains me that youse two are roughly my age and I have no idea what you're going on about.
Bluesky is a new twitter alternative started by Jack Dorsey. Threads is a twitter alternative started by Zuckerberg/Meta
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://www.threads.net/
https://bsky.app/
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:44 pm
Bluesky is a new twitter alternative started by Jack Dorsey. Threads is a twitter alternative started by Zuckerberg/Meta
Thanks. More social media witness obligations was at the very top of my list. /s

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Is Jack Dorsey another insufferable cunt or what? I apologize for not knowing, but my directory of insufferable social media cunts is quite large.

~ Wilhoit's Law