Personal Attacks, just say no.

Discuss the new board and what we want it to be and see announcements and feature updates.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Personal Attacks, just say no.

Post by PieceOfMeat »

(This is a repost from something I posted in the football forum)

Too many of you are like petulant children, I swear. (and no, this is not a personal attack, it's a description of behavior that I've been witnessing)

STOP WITH THE CONSTANT PERSONAL ATTACKS.

I'm tired of casually glancing through a thread and seeing nothing but personal attack after personal attack. If you really don't like someone that much, just put them on block/ignore/foe list or just use a little self control and don't respond to them.

I'm going to start editing posts if you guys can't control yourselves. After that I'm going to start closing threads. After that I'll start the banning process if you can't control your damned childish impulses to do nothing but call people names. I don't mind a little dig here and there, now and again, but this shit is getting out of control with some of you.
Last edited by PieceOfMeat on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: run its course
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Re: Personal Attacks, just say no.

Post by PieceOfMeat »

If any other mod has an issue with my post, please feel free to post here or let me know via PM.

If admins feel i'm overstepping my bounds with this, then by all means let me know or slap me down or whatever you want/need to do.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote: I'm tired of casually glancing through a thread and seeing nothing but personal attack after personal attack
Same here, whenever I see a bumped thread, I automatically think something newsworthy has happened.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Real rich thread POM. Who's gonna edit your posts when you personally attack those who's politics you disagree with?

Classic SF "Tolerance"
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

For the record I'm cool with it in the politics threads, so is this post to make a distinction between sports and politics threads or is this a board wide "POM can edit posts that trigger him" that we are passively agreeing with?

I'm assuming global given the "global announcement"
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Real rich thread POM. Who's gonna edit your posts when you personally attack those who's politics you disagree with?

Classic SF "Tolerance"
I don't think this was meant for the political board. Personal attacks have always been tolerated there, going way back to the beginning of TOS.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fair enough, just wanted some clarification on the global announcement
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Catintheheat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Real rich thread POM. Who's gonna edit your posts when you personally attack those who's politics you disagree with?

Classic SF "Tolerance"
I don't think this was meant for the political board. Personal attacks have always been tolerated there, going way back to the beginning of TOS.
Yep. It appears in the political board just because it appears in every board.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Classic SF "Tolerance"
First off. I never respond/speak to you. Know why? I have you on block/foe. Much like my suggestion in the OP of this thread, I use the block feature to not see posts from those I'd rather not see them from. I only saw this post of yours because someone quoted it.

Second, this isn't something that applies to the "anything goes" area that is the Politics, Religion, and Beer forum. I made it a global announcement because that was far, far, far more efficient than copy/pasting this into half a dozen or more sub forums. Yes, that means it will appear in the one forum it doesn't apply to as well, but I would think most everyone would know it doesn't apply there because most board rules don't apply there.

Third, don't bring politics to other boards as you're doing here with your SF comment (whatever the heck it means, anyhow).

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Arizona has a very grouchy fan base just now for pretty obvious reasons. I am not surprised by the uptick in aggression. Are you?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

More the reason for why we need rep. It's the mechanism that allows us to keep most of this critique off the main channels and self-police. Goazcats was much more readable imo, despite the strong/douchtastic personalities that posted there. The reason is rep.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Good point, 3#1's.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks for the reply POM

I find message board sanctimony so laughable. :lol:
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

The football board has gone dead since the admonishment on personal attacks. WTF?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrMeow wrote:The football board has gone dead since the admonishment on personal attacks. WTF?
Could just be to lack of football news. Has RichRod announced a QB starter yet?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i think you're all a bunch of jerks
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I took one for the team guys, I'll take whatever punishment is needed, but I feel like it needed to be said
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Why would you fantasize about putting your balls into another man's mouth? Sorry bud, I'm flattered and all, I just don't swing that way.

Also, you're a moron if you think i was "running" my mouth. I made a prediction and said what, all of 4 lines regarding it? I then epxanded further when another person responded to that original prediction. Just how dumb are you if you think a 4 line prediction is "running your mouth"? Of course I'm not just going to post a score and nothing further because that would be, oh I don't know, boring perhaps.

Also, I still notice how you didn't have any balls to make your own prediction. Must be cause your wife had them in her purse, while she was taking another man's balls into her mouth since you know, yours are safely stowed away.

Only a complete chicken shit, such as yourself, hasn't the guts to make a prediction and then struts around and acts high and mighty when the people who did have the guts to make a prediction turned out wrong. So congrats on that, you're king chicken shit of the ucla football predictions. You're like the backup punter who never contributes to the game but is the one talkin shit afterwards to anyone and everyone on the opposing team.
Just for clarity this is okay?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'd say Machina is exempt from the personal attack policy. That's my vote.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Why would you fantasize about putting your balls into another man's mouth? Sorry bud, I'm flattered and all, I just don't swing that way.

Also, you're a moron if you think i was "running" my mouth. I made a prediction and said what, all of 4 lines regarding it? I then epxanded further when another person responded to that original prediction. Just how dumb are you if you think a 4 line prediction is "running your mouth"? Of course I'm not just going to post a score and nothing further because that would be, oh I don't know, boring perhaps.

Also, I still notice how you didn't have any balls to make your own prediction. Must be cause your wife had them in her purse, while she was taking another man's balls into her mouth since you know, yours are safely stowed away.

Only a complete chicken shit, such as yourself, hasn't the guts to make a prediction and then struts around and acts high and mighty when the people who did have the guts to make a prediction turned out wrong. So congrats on that, you're king chicken shit of the ucla football predictions. You're like the backup punter who never contributes to the game but is the one talkin shit afterwards to anyone and everyone on the opposing team.
Where is that post from?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It's a POM quote from the UCLA AZ game thread I believe.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Where is that post from?
In the U of A vs UCLA discussion thread
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Where is that post from?
In the U of A vs UCLA discussion thread
To your question, in my mind, that's not ok. Those are the types of posts we want to stay away from to keep things at least somewhat civil.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lmao...POM wrote that?

:lol: :lol:

Then he comes here to play thought police?!? :lol:

What a joke.

Such a joke that I vote to remove his mod privileges. Not that anyone cares what I think or that he'll read this post, but wow.

Love me some message board sanctimony.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think most of this stems from my banter with Chief who never posts an opinion but rather is posting his agenda (In that RR has to go) and he gladly accepts and wants the cats to lose so his agenda can be realized.

POM loves the cats like all of us do. He may post his opinion on the game that we may lose but he never roots against the cats. I have been trying tot tone down my rhetoric with Chief after he put up this thread and I feel bad he is taking heat about the game or his reaction to some posts concerning his prediction
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

That was POM's response to an attack by tgrumpy2. It had nothing to do with chief.

It was after this thread was created.

That said, he probably should have had another mod review and edit/delete tgrumpy2's post, rather than respond.

Seems hypocritical to me to attack back.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The whole "balls in mouth" of some other dude doesn't do it for me. I don't let other dudes get their mouths near my genetalia.

That's how I roll, TGrump maybe not so much.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Someone's obsessed with balls. If I read that post right:

1. TGrumpy2 has Chief's balls in his mouth?
2. TGrumpy2 doesn't have any balls.
3. TGrumpy2's wife has his balls in her purse
4. TGrumpy2's wife has some other guy's balls in his mouth.

#4 right there is fightin' words in every bar in the world.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

What’s going on? I need a synopsis quick.

I’m barely functioning after bronchitis, possible pneumonia and am stressed by my evolving position at work. I haven’t really followed.

Seems like threadstarter is also thread reason for existence?

Long story short; I know the world is fucking weird right now and everyone is methhead itchy from it, but let’s allow something to be good, and fun, and an escape, and not a goddamn boxing ring, whether topics are football, basketball, FBI, Trump, religion, Taylor Swift, tv, or what the fuck ever.

Thanks
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

JMarkJohns wrote:What’s going on? I need a synopsis quick.

I’m barely functioning after bronchitis, possible pneumonia and am stressed by my evolving position at work. I haven’t really followed.

Seems like threadstarter is also thread reason for existence?

Long story short; I know the world is faking weird and everyone is on edge, but let’s allow something to be good, and fun, and an escape, and not a goddamn boxing ring, whether topics are football, basketball, Trump, religion, tv, or what the fuck ever.

Thanks
No, this thread was created by POM before POM got personally attacked in the UCLA discussion thread by tgrumpy2.

He chose to respond in kind rather than moderate. That's the post Machina, errrrrrr, PHXCATS, copied and posted here.
-JB
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PHXCATS wrote: Just for clarity this is okay?
Just for clarity, you should provide context to a post instead of trying to stir the pot because you don't like someone. But then that wouldn't be in your character would it.

For the record, I closed that thread because of the direction tgrumpy and others were taking it. Should I have not responded at all? Maybe so. But it was a response to a guy who was trolling and I went to the place he took it. I didn't instigate it.

Of course, Machina there would like to lead you to believe that I did, because that's the kind of guy he is.

I could have deleted my post after closing the thread, but I didn't because I felt that would be disingenuous at best. I left my post there because I made it, and I own the posts I make. I closed the thread because it had gone down the toilet, with my post being the final flush.

Machina, perhaps you shouldn't try to insinuate and cast blame, and instead say exactly what your problem is and clearly articulate the context surrounding your problem.

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAEebs86 wrote: That said, he probably should have had another mod review and edit/delete tgrumpy2's post, rather than respond.

Seems hypocritical to me to attack back.
Mods aren't angels and we're not perfect. I could have erased my post entirely but that would have been dishonest. So instead, after further thought I closed the thread to shut down the direction trolls were taking it.

However, is it hypocritical for someone who is struck to strike back, if they're anti-violence? I'd say it's a self-defense instinct to strike back. You may argue it showed a poor impulse control and perhaps that's correct. However I mitigated the issue by closing the thread and not allowing it to go further. I own what I post, even if it was reactionary and juvenile.

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Who are the instigating attackers. Please name them here. All of them. Not responders. Not yet. Who were the first to personally attack and call names.

Thanks
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

JMarkJohns wrote:Who are the instigating attackers. Please name them here. All of them. Not responders. Not yet. Who were the first to personally attack and call names.

Thanks
In this case tgrumpy2
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Who are the instigating attackers. Please name them here. All of them. Not responders. Not yet. Who were the first to personally attack and call names.

Thanks
I read the thread. Lot of pissy back and forth.

Never seen people so ready to fight after a win. Sad times in Catland...
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Everybody posting for an agenda rather than the appreciation.

What would you recommend me to do?

I don’t have time to read to keep up on this stuff. I barely have time to type this.

Warnings are words. Easily written off and moved past.

Are we needing some sacrificial lambs to send the message to quit fucking up discourse with discontentment?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I feel like we're all adults and if you can't handle being called an idiot online then you're just outta luck. We definitely are all a touchy bunch after the news with Book though.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Everybody posting for an agenda rather than the appreciation.

I don’t have time to read to keep up on this stuff. I barely have time to type this.

Are we needing some sacrificial lambs to send the message to quit fucking up discourse with discontentment?
I can't read every thread either. And honestly, I mostly stick to the topics I'm most interested in. So football takes a back seat.

I think if we had rep, at least people could keep most of their back and forth at each other in private.

But honestly, the squabbles here seem to pale in comparison to what we had at the beginning of GoAZCats. We used to have threads titled Board Wars. Killervibe was talking about beating people up outside of the Circle K. We're not there, and I don't think we'll ever be.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:

I can't read every thread either. And honestly, I mostly stick to the topics I'm most interested in. So football takes a back seat.

I think if we had rep, at least people could keep most of their back and forth at each other in private.

But honestly, the squabbles here seem to pale in comparison to what we had at the beginning of GoAZCats. We used to have threads titled Board Wars. Killervibe was talking about beating people up outside of the Circle K. We're not there, and I don't think we'll ever be.
What he said
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:

"Screw Ben Hansen" was a classic thread, and went on for years.

Wonder what ever happened to Auercat, or as Officer Craig called him "Pauercat".
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Life is kicking my ass with this sickness and now a shift in job description which could be great, but has a steep learning curve and is unproven in my market.

So, I’m hardly on.

If you all can’t tend to it, message me. I will.

If it’s petty shit, don’t we have ignore lists?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

scumdevils86 wrote:I feel like we're all adults and if you can't handle being called an idiot online then you're just outta luck.
yes

and youre all still a bunch of jerks in my book
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Life is kicking my ass with this sickness and now a shift in job description which could be great, but has a steep learning curve and is unproven in my market.
Take the job. Figure out how to do it later.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:

Any of you want some pain, I'm always down to meet up behind the abandoned Wildcat Liquor on 1st and Roger.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Any of you want some pain, I'm always down to meet up behind the abandoned Wildcat Liquor on 1st and Roger.
that's within a short walk of my house. so bring it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Am I the only one who thinks this is being blown just a bit out of proportion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this is being blown just a bit out of proportion?
oh it totally is.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this is being blown just a bit out of proportion?
Welcome to my ignore list.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Yeah. Tempest calling teacup.