Please Do Not Post Premium Content

Discuss the new board and what we want it to be and see announcements and feature updates.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

JMarkJohns

Please Do Not Post Premium Content

Post by JMarkJohns »

In my zealousness as a former journalist and friend of many current who struggle because of the free flow of content which makes subscriptions largely mute points, I now realize this post is aggressive and feels like an edict.

My intent was to remind the posters of this site of our early history, and how this Co-Op strove to be above other copy/paste, premium content havens.

I then demanded respect.

For that I am sorry. I should have kindly asked and not aggressively asserted.

I always believed this crew was above either the petty or undercutting tactics and I hope it will remain that way.

Apologies for the abrupt appearance of the post, the aggressive tone, and the absolutist nature.

———-
Many of us all understand the history of premium forums. Either we happily paid to support folks like Ben and Josh and Jason, or we had the fact we didn’t subscribe used against us at GOAZCATS after the main crew left for Scout.

I know we live in an Information age and sometimes it’s difficult to know what is free information vs what is premium.

Going forward, if you use Tweets as the source or talking point, that is the ideal.

If you take content from Jason Scheer at Wildcat Authority and it’s from an article or premium forum post, it will not be tolerated.

Jason is good people and works hard and that work is paid for by subscribers. If you want access to his content, follow on Twitter and pay for a sub for his forum (includes CBS streaming App).

Tweets are all fair game.

But don’t copy and paste or screenshot premium content.

Also, please don’t pretend to be an insider with Jason’s content.

Thank you
Alieberman

Re: Reminder: Do Not Post Premium Content

Post by Alieberman »

Just wondering- As a mod here.... why are you much more active on Jason's site and have disappeared from here?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Non issue for me with the premium content but I echo lieb's question.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Mmm hmm...
:?:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Does Scheer actually have insider info? Seems Choo has more but don't check that site. Can't imagine he has more basketball knowledge than Spiff and TucsonClip.

What's this about "(includes CBS streaming App)"?

I have that along with the CBS Sports App, but not sure what access I have regarding Scheer's content.

Guess I will have to post embarrassing images from JmJ from the TOS since he is no longer active here.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Just what precipitated this announcement???
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAdevil wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:55 pm Just what precipitated this announcement???
I never saw anything.... and I'm an active Mod....
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Hmm. Interesting...
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

what'd I miss?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I see nothing in the moderator logs of deleted posts so I have no idea what this is about
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Did Scheer complain?

I have only seen hints of things, not actual names or any real premium content.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Sheer...whatever.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I apologize for any over-stepping that people believe occurred.

When we created this site, it was founded on responsible message board practices. At least early on we encouraged linking to articles and only quoting/pasting pertinent information, not copying whole articles.

We also decided that posting premium or paywall content wasn’t going to be allowed. This was largely done to protect this site from becoming what PGU became, where literally entire posts were copy and pasted including member names, post counts, post date, etc.

I never named a single person or culprit in this thread.

But it appears people presumed names into existence.

My intent with this was not to run anyone off, or even put into timeout any poster thought to be linked. In DMs on the topic I discussed needing to see proof.

My intent was to remind everyone of our origins, but if that’s not the case anymore, different conversations will need to be had.

Apologies.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I think we're just confused as to what prompted this announcement. I believe everyone is in agreement about the basic rules of paywalled material, but this was just rather out of the blue. Especially since it seems like you've moved on largely from this community after being such a good poster and fixture for so many years.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

This.
scumdevils86 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:54 pm I think we're just confused as to what prompted this announcement. I believe everyone is in agreement about the basic rules of paywalled material, but this was just rather out of the blue. Especially since it seems like you've moved on largely from this community after being such a good poster and fixture for so many years.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Man. If that is how you all feel, I feel terrible. The lengths I have fought and will fight for this crew...

Like I said, if that’s how you all feel, then do what you think is right for the community.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:41 pm I apologize for any over-stepping that people believe occurred.

When we created this site, it was founded on responsible message board practices. At least early on we encouraged linking to articles and only quoting/pasting pertinent information, not copying whole articles.

We also decided that posting premium or paywall content wasn’t going to be allowed. This was largely done to protect this site from becoming what PGU became, where literally entire posts were copy and pasted including member names, post counts, post date, etc.

I never named a single person or culprit in this thread.

But it appears people presumed names into existence.

My intent with this was not to run anyone off, or even put into timeout any poster thought to be linked. In DMs on the topic I discussed needing to see proof.

My intent was to remind everyone of our origins, but if that’s not the case anymore, different conversations will need to be had.

Apologies.
I don’t get it. Why the need to remind everyone “of our origins” if there isn’t premium info being posted, and what “different conversations” will we need to have?

I haven’t seen any premium info but then again I might not know it since I don’t go to paywall sites. Was there an incident I’m not aware of? Did Jason complain? And is it possible that people know info that is posted on 24/7 but didn’t get it from there?

I guess what I’m asking is if we can see some posts where it’s obvious the info came from a paywall site. That would make this reminder make a whole lot more sense.
JMarkJohns wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:12 pm Man. If that is how you all feel, I feel terrible. The lengths I have fought and will fight for this crew...

Like I said, if that’s how you all feel, then do what you think is right for the community.
This reads like you feel like you’re being attacked when I think what people are asking for is some clarity. Is there some kind of widespread stealing of info from paywall sites going on?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Re: Please Do Not Post Premium Content

Post by Alieberman »

I Dm'd this to JMark but I will post it here as well-
---------------------------------------------

I took exception to your post for several reasons-

I have hardly seen you post anything here for a long time (This saddens me greatly, and our community misses you) and your 1st post in a long time was a bit of a lecture.

It came across as "I'm not a member of this community anymore but let me tell you what's not acceptable here"

While you haven't been posting here, I see you commenting on Scheer's tweets all the time. It felt like your message was more about standing up for Scheer then doing this community any good

While you are correct that no one here should be posting premium content from other sites.... I have no idea what you are reffering to (no one else seems to know either)

Sorry for calling you you... I love you as a poster here but this message really just rubbed me the wrong way

Ari
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Ari reflects my thoughts here
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I kicked the shit out of this.

That’s all I got.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Board drama! :-)
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Guessing Jason complained about people pretending to be an insider off his information because nothing has seem blatant off the top of my head. I think that would be pretty hard to prove though, unless it is a specific poster who has the same name on both sites. If Jason is so confident about that, why doesn't he just ban them from his site?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

DrWildcat wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:33 pm Guessing Jason complained about people pretending to be an insider off his information because nothing has seem blatant off the top of my head. I think that would be pretty hard to prove though, unless it is a specific poster who has the same name on both sites. If Jason is so confident about that, why doesn't he just ban them from his site?
He can't keep taking that premium $$$ that way.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

1. Jason requested on WCA that premium content stay on their forum
2. Immediately one of this site’s posters was mentioned.
3. Jason confirmed yes to that poster, and said there were 2 others he found.
4. In my haste to create a post that engaged who we were in the beginning with hopes of who we would be moving forward, I made this thread.
5. It thoroughly baffled or angered everyone.
6. I’ve played the clown since.

That’s about the gist of it.

Again, I understand the criticisms.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:36 pm 1. Jason requested on WCA that premium content stay on their forum
4. In my haste to create a post that engaged who we were in the beginning with hopes of who we would be moving forward, I made this thread.

Not to play Monday morning QB but if Jason has a legit gripe we should take it up with those specific posters. We can warn them, temp ban, perm ban, etc, but we should talk about it in a Mod group PM and decide on a course of action (including putting out a general board announcement regarding pay site info).

But here’s my thing...

I’m a big fan of the work Scheer puts in and I want him to be able to make a living doing it. He’s also been very prickly when there’s even the hint that someone might be stealing his info, and understandably so. But just because he thinks there’s no way someone could have that info without stealing it from him, I’d still want some sort of proof that that is what happened.

For instance, I have a text group of UA alums that get info from all kinds of places that we share with each other. A couple guys have WA premium accounts and will share that info with the group. Sometimes I pass along info from that text chat here on these boards. If I get WA premium info second hand and don’t know it’s WA premium info, am I stealing Jason’s work by unknowingly posting it here? No chance. And if a mod or poster told me it was WA premium info I’d take it down. But a blanket “don’t post premium info” reminder post doesn’t stop that scenario from happening in the first place.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

All fair.

I definitely intended my post to be less of an edict and more of a professional courtesy, which is why I didn’t name any names and put out a general thread on the topic.

I still haven’t mentioned any names in this thread because I know absent the moronic copy/paste on PGU that included Jason’s profile info and name and time stamp, it’s very difficult to prove.

I posted in haste and frustration and it showed and I was wrong to bypass a DM.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Are we sure our President or AD didn’t somehow get involved in this?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Lol!
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

:D
Last edited by NickyBCats on Wed May 19, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

FWIW I was under the same handle on that site for quite some time and cancelled my subscription because frankly the info posted here is better and between here and twitter I get my fix. I also enjoy this board overall much better. Hope we don’t lose anyone to this.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I barely have any connections to UA inside sources on my own, and in general anymore, but there have been more than a few times I've thought to myself, "that post here is even worded exactly like it was by Scheer on WA."

However, I have little to say about it, because I don't know jack about where the info is coming from, nor who the persons are.

If that's something the mods want to look into, that's cool. If not, I don't have much to say about that either, as, again, I don't know jack about any of that stuff.

The reasoning behind my post is because I believe JMarks clearly has good intentions with this thread. However, I do understand the mass confusion from most here, because many have no idea what in the hell this is even about.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

TucsonClip wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:33 pm
The reasoning behind my post is because I believe JMarks clearly has good intentions with this thread. However, I do understand the mass confusion from most here, because many have no idea what in the hell this is even about.
I think everyone here agrees with this. This was a bad idea of a thread by a an A+ poster.... and he realizes it. I think we can all move on from it.

As far as how to police this type of thing.... when someone seems to give some insider info.... I'm not going to assume they are "stealing" this info from another site. One would have to have a membership to Scheer's site to really notice if it was actually coming from there. (I don't)

I guess if you see something that seems familiar from another site... say something. We certainly don't want to be seen as another PGU.... but I really can't pinpoint any post that jumped out at me to be in any time of violation.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Jason wants the Mods here to police his content and protect his intellectual property he should give us free premium access. I can’t tell what’s rumor, innuendo, or lifted right from his site because I’m not a member there (and frankly my wife would castrate me if I signed up for another sports subscription service).
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

My thoughts have all already been expressed by you wonderful knuckleheads, so I'll just say this:
JMJ we love ya, feel free to post more around here :)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Sounds like Scheer’s problem.

He should police his own flock, they’re sharing the content.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

wyo-cat wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:05 am Sounds like Scheer’s problem.

He should police his own flock, they’re sharing the content.
He did. But if they are sharing here, that’s not ever been who we are. At one point we had media like Anthony Gimino posting here because we were a content responsible forum.

The foundation of the post I made isn’t the main issue. It’s that I made it without informing the more active leadership and discussing the best course of action.

I believe, it seems, most of not all leadership still understands we don’t want to become that message board where premium/paywall content is flaunted. We always strove to be better than that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:36 pm 1. Jason requested on WCA that premium content stay on their forum

Can I say I'm deeply offended by this?

I've spent over 10 years posting literally thousands of ignorant opinions pulled directly out of my ass on the topic of Arizona Basketball. I feel like all that work has been greatly cheapened by the implication that the BS I've worked so hard to spew is being libeled as potentially the reposting of an educated opinion.

I work hard to be an uneducated outsider, and it cuts me to the quick when that effort is minimized.

It's also fairly ludicrous anyone I was plagiarizing thoughts like "Sidiki Johnson could be a good one" from high level sources with actual insight. I excel at taking the sarcastic posts of others too seriously, defending Sean Miller's honor even though he does not know I exist and posting ill-informed and half-assed theories about Arizona Basketball and have never once taken any of that from premium.

Good day, sir.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It appears Jason Scheer may be a member here. Hi Jason!

Jason- If you ever see a post here feel free to DM me or any other mod here to point it out and we will address it.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

That sounds extremely reasonable.
Alieberman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:05 am It appears Jason Scheer may be a member here. Hi Jason!

Jason- If you ever see a post here feel free to DM me or any other mod here to point it out and we will address it.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Didn't Jason used to pop in every now and then on the old site?

I would still welcome that even with the caveat "get premium" for exclusive content. Would think it would be good PR/marketing for him at the very least.

And at the very most we could all rag on our douchebag President and AD because that content is known and shared by everyone!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

He was a regular at GOAZCATS that’s where we all knew him from. I don’t think he’s ever officially posted here but that invitation has always been available.... and that includes folks from all different sites. (Except PGU.... fuck those guys)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wasn't he NobodyBetter at Goazcats? Or was that Gershon? Then Storey made them use their real names.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

NobodyBetter was Jason. Josh was AZsomething.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AZCAT07
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Yeah. That’s it!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:54 pmAZCAT07
How the hell did you remember that?!!!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That's a tough being so generic.

Ben was WillTheThrill22.

His brother Tyler was BearDownBaby.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:16 pm
Chicat wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:54 pmAZCAT07
How the hell did you remember that?!!!!
I made room for stuff like that in my brain by discarding useless information like the date of my wife's birthday and how many drinks I've had so far today.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It is a shame we can't give rep in this forum because there has been a lot to give out