quoting

Discuss the new board and what we want it to be and see announcements and feature updates.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

quoting

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Is it possible to have the board only quote the text of a post that someone typed, and NOT the quote that they were responding to?

What I mean is, if person A types something, person B quotes it, and person C quotes person B...then person C's post has person A's quote in it as well as person B's quote.

This becomes an issue when you're trying to post something, and the board bitches at you because you can only have 3 quotes within themselves.

It would be nice if when I quote someone, I'm only quoting that someone, and not the various quotes they already quoted.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAdevil

Re: quoting

Post by UAdevil »

No clue. Maybe? :-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

If there is an option of changing the quote, it would make sense to me to have two options either "quote entire post" or "quote new text only". I am usually against the multi-embeded quotes, but there are times when it is appropriate even if it is greatly overused.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is it really that hard to delete what you don't want quoted?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Merkin wrote:Is it really that hard to delete what you don't want quoted?
That's what I do. Just make sure to have the 'quote' and 'end quote' brackets in the right spots.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:Is it really that hard to delete what you don't want quoted?
No, it's not that hard to do it. Just annoying that it defaults to quoting the already embedded stuff, and then it tells you that you can't post your post because there's a limit on the number of embedded quotes (which the system itself quoted, not you).

Is it really such a bad thing to ask about the available options for the board, in regards to quoting?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

It appears the only quote tweaking that can be easily done is setting the max 'quote nesting'. Quote nesting is currently set at 3. I will try changing it to 1 and we'll see if that is an improvement or not. :-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAdevil wrote:It appears the only quote tweaking that can be easily done is setting the max 'quote nesting'. Quote nesting is currently set at 3. I will try changing it to 1 and we'll see if that is an improvement or not. :-)
I think that actually might be worse. Can we put it at 5? I think people will start editing out the quotes when you get to that level because anything more than 5 embedded quotes just looks like a mess.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAdevil wrote:It appears the only quote tweaking that can be easily done is setting the max 'quote nesting'. Quote nesting is currently set at 3. I will try changing it to 1 and we'll see if that is an improvement or not. :-)

I believe the correct response should have been "Shut up you freeloaders, go somewhere else if you don't like it"
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Chicat wrote:
I think that actually might be worse. Can we put it at 5? I think people will start editing out the quotes when you get to that level because anything more than 5 embedded quotes just looks like a mess.

I'm game to try anything. Will set it at 5 and see what we all think. Jeeze...freeloaders. :lol:
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Alieberman wrote:

I believe the correct response should have been "Shut up you freeloaders, go somewhere else if you don't like it"

hahahahahahahahahahah
Thanks for looking into it. Appreciate it :)

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAdevil wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I'm game to try anything. Will set it at 5 and see what we all think. Jeeze...freeloaders. :lol:
Settle down MAO.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

azgreg wrote:
UAdevil wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Settle down MAO.
Hey, you're not part of our business model. If you don't like it you are free to go elsewhere. lol!
teemackdee

Post by teemackdee »

Just make sure you don't tell anyone else where you went, if you leave here you are dead to us!