Name/Avatar/Post Count on left?

Discuss the new board and what we want it to be and see announcements and feature updates.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

User Info/Avatar Alignment

Move to Left
80%
Keep Right Justified
20%

Total votes: 25

UAdevil

Name/Avatar/Post Count on left?

Post by UAdevil »

A while back there were some inquiries about moving the username/postcount/avatar to the left instead of the right where that box currently resides.

Is this a change we'd like to do?

To tweak this some mucking around in the .css code will be necessary. It doesn't appear to be that complex, but I've seen discussion of this fouling up boards beyond all hope. They just had to restore from a backup.

Now, if we decide to make the change I can do so during the board migration process soon. That way if I fuck it all up nobody here will know as this site will remain as is until the forum at the new domain is bug free (not MrBug free though :lol: ).
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
scumdevils86

Re: Name/Avatar/Post Count on left?

Post by scumdevils86 »

Hmmm I didn't like it at the beginning but now I'm used to it and don't really care
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Left or we riot
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I would like them on both sides.

More avatars and less useless commentary.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAdevil wrote:A while back there were some inquiries about moving the username/postcount/avatar to the left instead of the right where that box currently resides.

Is this a change we'd like to do?

To tweak this some mucking around in the .css code will be necessary. It doesn't appear to be that complex, but I've seen discussion of this fouling up boards beyond all hope. They just had to restore from a backup.

Now, if we decide to make the change I can do so during the board migration process soon. That way if I fuck it all up nobody here will know as this site will remain as is until the forum at the new domain is bug free (not MrBug free though :lol: ).
I voted move to the left.

Question: If it's just css code, can't you just copy the current css file, make a backup in the same directory (layout-original.css or something like that) then if you ever need to fix any css that you've broken beyond repair, just remove the mucked up css and rename the original one back to the original name?

I'm no web guru, I just thought css stuff was in its own file, and so easily backup-able and fixable.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

Question: If it's just css code, can't you just copy the current css file, make a backup in the same directory (layout-original.css or something like that) then if you ever need to fix any css that you've broken beyond repair, just remove the mucked up css and rename the original one back to the original name?

I'm no web guru, I just thought css stuff was in its own file, and so easily backup-able and fixable.

This is what I assumed as well. Then I came across several discussions online where disastrous results ensued, and not just related to the .css file.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAdevil wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

This is what I assumed as well. Then I came across several discussions online where disastrous results ensued, and not just related to the .css file.
Ah :(

Well then I'll definitely let the gurus have at it, and hope for the best :)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm in the I don't care/either camp
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
teemackdee

Post by teemackdee »

I'm used to the way it is now. Doesn't matter to me.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Please! I think that it going to stop cutting our pics off as well
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I voted yes, don't know if it's better but just used to it.

Only thing I dislike now is the homepage with all the forums is too cramped. Too many subforum crammed too close together. Would honestly like a layout like TOS.

This, nicely spaced out..

Rather than this:
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Shouldn't be a problem NYCat. I'll looking into increasing the forum list spacing. I think I can easily spread everything out, but the subforums likely will remain small as they are now unless I can find an easy tweak for that.
prh

Post by prh »

UAdevil wrote:Shouldn't be a problem NYCat. I'll looking into increasing the forum list spacing. I think I can easily spread everything out, but the subforums likely will remain small as they are now unless I can find an easy tweak for that.
Would people to open to pulling the sub-forums out? Not that it happens much, but I hate clicking on the basketball or football forum because there are new posts, but the new posts are actually in the sub-forum. Not a big complaint, so I'm fine if people like it that way. I do prefer the way TOS front page is laid out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If all sub-forums appeared on the first page that would be great, but in truth I just use the View New Posts button. Wish it appeared in the header at the top of every page.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:If all sub-forums appeared on the first page that would be great, but in truth I just use the View New Posts button. Wish it appeared in the header at the top of every page.
It did at one time and then it disappeared.
I created a bookmark with that function as a workaround.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Ok. Vast majority voted so far (nothing is ever set in stone here) prefer left justification of avatars and profiles. Still tweaking. All reversible if we hate the results. :-)
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I like it, just the spacing is alittle off
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Main Event wrote:I like it, just the spacing is alittle off
Working on that. :-)
prh

Post by prh »

I like the new spacing on the index page, but I'm kind of iffy on having that same spacing for the thread listing. This css targets the thread listing only and adjusts the spacing.

Code: Select all

.topiclist.topics li dl.icon dt {
  padding-top: 3px;
  padding-bottom: 0px;
}
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UADevil is the fucking man. Love that guy...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Looking good :)

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

More tweaking to come tomorrow. We're getting there. I'd really like to get the formatting comple before migration, which I am tentatively targeting next Sunday to begin.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Don't like it. Put it back.

:D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

On my tablet its still on the right. Is that a cookie issue?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Chicat wrote:On my tablet its still on the right. Is that a cookie issue?
Most likely.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Where the hell am I?!

Feels very weird. Oddly, more weird than the initial left/right with the startup.

I'll get used to it, no doubt.