2015 MLB Season

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: 2015 MLB Season

Post by Chicat »

Boston fans in a nutshell...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Boston fans aren't bad, I'd consider Red Sox and Celtics fans (not including Patriots, who are obnoxious) among the better fan bases in sports. But like many in that NY/New England region, brutally honest and loud knee-jerk reactions are common.

With that said, nobody in Boston has any room to complain about sports or bad teams for a very long time. What is it, nine championships this century so far?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The Cubs probably have the NL Rookie of the Year in Kris Bryant. And a couple other starting rookies in Kyle Schwarber and Addison Russell aren't shabby either. They have a solid pitching staff and really hitting their stride. They have the 4th best record in baseball, but unfortunately 2 of the 3 with better records are from the same division. Haven't been this excited for the Cubs since the Steve Bartman year.

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ughh... I've always hated the Cubs, Ryne Sandberg is a dickhead, and a fair amount of their fans drive me nuts with the "victim" act. If I ask who your team is, say "Im a Cubs fan" not "well, despite an eternity of bad luck, black cats, bartman, billy goats, dragons, blah blah blah, im still a fan of those loveable losers, the Cubs." They look set to be competitive for quite some time though, so I guess it is time to get over it. Joe Maddon doesn't help, never could stand him. Should the make it, depends on their matchups, I may root for them for the handful of friends I have who don't drive me crazy with their Cubs talk.

As for Bryant winning rookie of the year, I think Kang may be the front runner now along with Syndergaard. I personally would have Matt Duffy and Grichuk (who for whatever reason gets no attention) over Bryant too, and there are a few others who will have a case if they finish strong the last month and a half.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lol yankees
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Go Cubs!!!!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:Lol yankees
Honestly, I'd like to see Cashman and Girardi fired. And I'm not one to usually call for heads. But there needs to be someone more aggressive in the front office and someone less aggressive with the health of the team in the dugout. Cashman didn't make any trades to help Girardi and Girardi didn't understand that you can't ride people into the ground and expect them to perform in October.

I don't mind them not winning the East. Toronto was a juggernaut when it counted. I do mind the fact that they completely fell apart the last two weeks. With the way they finished, they didn't belong in the playoffs, and I'm glad I don't have to watch them get swept by KC.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I agree with you.

Girardi is an average manager at best. A world series title in 2009 with a loaded team. Other than that, nada. Three straight years of failing to reach 90 wins. What is this now, three times getting bounced in the opening round of the playoffs? Twice steamrolled in the ALCS, embarrassed may have been the better word for the Tigers series. He's a yes man who kisses ownership's butt, unlike Torre, and his players like him, only things he has going for them.

And Cashman is not a great GM. You give any man a nearly unlimited budget and he is going to come out looking good, especially when you already had key veterans/stars in place like Jeter, Posada, Mariano, etc. You can't lose. But over the 2000s, how many BAD signings and contracts did the Yankees have. It seemed every year there were 2-3 big money guys on payroll under performing. Cashman does not see "big picture" like even many fans do. You have nothing to lose when you are playing with monopoly money, so you don't hesitate to throw 10 mill a year (which is not much now) at Carl Pavano after just one really good season at age 28. His ERA the season before was mid 4's, before then 3.79, and before that, he was not a quality pitcher. Jaret Wright, same thing, trending down and always injured then had one good season, pretty big money offer the next year. McCann was severely overpaid, you dont give that type of bread to a catcher entering his 30s with that mileage on his legs. You can go on and on.

I don't entirely agree with you on the injury thing. You look at the nine guys with the most plate appearances on that team. All in their 30s except Didi, multiple guys in mid to late 30s. You got guys with a lot of postseason mileage on their legs. There are not enough youthful players whose bodies can hold it together and still play at a high level. There is not that mix of youth and old. Sometimes it works, like the 01 Diamondbacks (who still had some very talented young guys who could give vets days off and perform at nearly the same level), but that's a risk you run. Especially the Yankees, a team built on power. Those are big bodies on that team. Big bodies put a lot of stress on the legs and the joints.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

rgdeuce wrote:Ughh... I've always hated the Cubs, Ryne Sandberg is a dickhead, and a fair amount of their fans drive me nuts with the "victim" act. If I ask who your team is, say "Im a Cubs fan" not "well, despite an eternity of bad luck, black cats, bartman, billy goats, dragons, blah blah blah, im still a fan of those loveable losers, the Cubs." They look set to be competitive for quite some time though, so I guess it is time to get over it. Joe Maddon doesn't help, never could stand him. Should the make it, depends on their matchups, I may root for them for the handful of friends I have who don't drive me crazy with their Cubs talk.

As for Bryant winning rookie of the year, I think Kang may be the front runner now along with Syndergaard. I personally would have Matt Duffy and Grichuk (who for whatever reason gets no attention) over Bryant too, and there are a few others who will have a case if they finish strong the last month and a half.
I can understand not liking Cubs fans but what is there to dislike about Maddon?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He's a douchebag. Old man wore a Nick Swisher fauxhawk, wears those hipster glasses, he's smug, passive aggressive, the type of dude who will remind you over and over that he's the smartest guy in the room. I mean, the only manager who ragged on his fans for cheering for Jeter in his farewell season. In a city that's been the spring home for the Yankees and the home for one of their farm clubs, nonetheless. And on and on.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Cubs!!!
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Jake "Freakin" Arrieta. He is the best pitcher of all time after the all-star break. His ERA before tonight during that time was 0.75, beating Bob Gibson (1.19 ERA). I feel sorry for Baltimore, but feel the Cubs have now been vindicated since trading away Lou Brock.

Damn!!! Been a Cubs fan all of my life and the future looks radiating, no matter what happens this season. Look at the Rookies: Bryant, Russell, and Schwarber, and Hendricks. The entire franchise looks like it got it together. I've been the most excited since Steve Bartman, and strongly believe they can win it all this season. The season of vindication.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Catintheheat wrote:Jake "Freakin" Arrieta. He is the best pitcher of all time after the all-star break. His ERA before tonight during that time was 0.75, beating Bob Gibson (1.19 ERA). I feel sorry for Baltimore, but feel the Cubs have now been vindicated since trading away Lou Brock.

Damn!!! Been a Cubs fan all of my life and the future looks radiating, no matter what happens this season. Look at the Rookies: Bryant, Russell, and Schwarber, and Hendricks. The entire franchise looks like it got it together. I've been the most excited since Steve Bartman, and strongly believe they can win it all this season. The season of vindication.
That or the cubs choke again. ;)
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yea, we've seen this story before. Zambrano, Prior, Wood, Sosa, Ramirez... Grace, Sandberg, Dunston, Dawson, Maddux, Sutcliffe, Bilecki. They got the Cardinals next, so I'd curb the excitement until game 6 or 7 and make sure there are no Bartmans in the stands, all goats from the city are temporarily moved out of the city, etc.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

rgdeuce wrote:Yea, we've seen this story before. Zambrano, Prior, Wood, Sosa, Ramirez... Grace, Sandberg, Dunston, Dawson, Maddux, Sutcliffe, Bilecki. They got the Cardinals next, so I'd curb the excitement until game 6 or 7 and make sure there are no Bartmans in the stands, all goats from the city are temporarily moved out of the city, etc.
The Cubs had their best regular season since 1945 with 97 wins. That's the 3rd best record in baseball this season. The only two with better records are from the same division, and they just disposed of one of them. Plus the Cubs have been hot for the second half of the season. St. Louis will probably be favored, but not by much. A lot of their team is injured too.

BTW it is a 5 game series, not 7. ;)
Last edited by Catintheheat on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Love It!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Catintheheat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Yea, we've seen this story before. Zambrano, Prior, Wood, Sosa, Ramirez... Grace, Sandberg, Dunston, Dawson, Maddux, Sutcliffe, Bilecki. They got the Cardinals next, so I'd curb the excitement until game 6 or 7 and make sure there are no Bartmans in the stands, all goats from the city are temporarily moved out of the city, etc.
For one it's a 5 game series. For another the Cubs had their best regular season since 1945 with 97 wins. That's the 3rd best record in baseball this season. The only two with better records are from the same division, and they just disposed of one of them. Plus the Cubs have been hot for the second half of the season. St. Louis will probably be favored, but not by much. A lot of their team is injured too.

BTW it is a 5 game series, not 7.
Cards are the better team top to bottom, have home field, won the season series 11-8, and are already at an advantage of not having to burn their ace vs the Pirates. They get Arrieta once... Cardinals are there, every year, Cubs are a bunch of young guys who have no idea what the playoffs feel like. Winning a one-game "playoff" with your ace throwing means nothing, and the thought of one game deciding a playoff series is a downright idiotic move by MLB. Who besides Carlos Martinez is out for the Cardinals (and thank your lucky stars that happened)? But thanks for reminding me its only a five game series..
Last edited by rgdeuce on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And for the record the 2012 and 2014 WS champs take issue with your characterization of the indomitable Cards against a "plucky" overlooked upstart.

Go Giants.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I still think the Cubs have a good chance of winning. And a lot of it has to do with Maddon and how he uses his players. He can play a lineup against righties or lefties, and uses his bench liberally.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Back to the Cubs....

Back to the Future 2.... set in 2015....

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote: Back to the Cubs....

Back to the Future 2.... set in 2015....

Totally forgot about that :shock:
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:First off, I apologize.

I am assuming the outrage with me calling Catin "caitlyn" is because he is homosexual. I'm basing that assumption off the avatar so don't stone me if I am wrong. Again, I apologize, there was a hole intent by using Caitlyn but its was an immature play on his user name by adding a few letters.
Good of you to apologize, but this conversation would be better served taken to PM.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

A Cubs victory would be a victory for humanity. As George Will once said, Champaign, IL is midway between Chicago and St. Louis, where every young child has to decide whether he or she will be grow up a Cardinals fan or a Cubs fan. George said, "A lot of my friends chose the Cardinals, and they've led successful baseball lives ever since. I chose the Cubs, which explains why I'm so bitter."
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote: Good of you to apologize, but this conversation would be better served taken to PM.
I need to apologize to everyone else on the boards too. Someone PM'd me and let me know the situation. I am completely embarrassed and ashamed and deserve to be banned.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

rgdeuce wrote:
Chicat wrote: Good of you to apologize, but this conversation would be better served taken to PM.
I need to apologize to everyone else on the boards too. Someone PM'd me and let me know the situation. I am completely embarrassed and ashamed and deserve to be banned.

I think we can now put this issue to rest.

Just want to say that often when people say stupid things their pride takes over and they double down on stupid. It is refreshing to see someone owning up to their mistakes and taking responsibility. I totally respect that.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:
I need to apologize to everyone else on the boards too.
Sincere thanks for the apology. I accept and definitely appreciate your coming back to address it.

As for your take on the series, I'm afraid I agree that Cardinals should win, and even if the Cubs were to be legitimately favored, I still think the Cardinals would win. If anybody understands what a cursed franchise entails, it's me.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

FYI- I just deleted a bunch of posts dealing with rgdeuce's comment. He apologized and is embarrassed about it and all is good in the world.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Alieberman wrote:FYI- I just deleted a bunch of posts dealing with rgdeuce's comment. He apologized and is embarrassed about it and all is good in the world.
Good by me, well done Duece and all.

As a lifetime Cardinal fan I can honestly say that if the cubbies beat the cards I won't shed a tear. I think they are playing well and if they beat a team who I think is the best in baseball then they would have earned it and I would eb rooting for them the rest of the way.

Going to be a great series that I think goes the distance. Lackey might be a little rusty tonight so they could breakthrough
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Here it is:
George Will wrote:I grew up in Champaign, Illinois, midway between Chicago and St. Louis. At an age too tender for life-shaping decisions, I made one. While all my friends were becoming Cardinals fans, I became a Cub fan. My friends, happily rooting for Stan Musial, Red Schoendienst, and other great Redbirds, grew up cheerfully convinced that the world is a benign place, so of course, they became liberals. Rooting for the Cubs in the late 1940s and early 1950s, I became gloomy, pessimistic, morose, dyspeptic and conservative.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

A really good article on Steve Bartman, and how he still has to deal with the split second decision he made 12 years, and how the attention has never let up. How can anyone not feel for him?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... ?tid=sm_fb" target="_blank

Want to talk to Steve Bartman? This man gives the same answer, over and over again
f someone hoped to interview Bartman, the answer then – as it has remained each time since, no matter the outlet or angle or circumstance – was no. Murtha, who said he never asked Bartman to pay for his services, acted instead out of generosity as Bartman’s spokesman, as his de facto attorney when his name or likeness had been inappropriately used, as his first and last line of defense as weeks turned to months and then years.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I feel so bad for that dude. 99 of 100 people try to catch that ball. Moises Alou is responsible for ruining his life. Years later he admits he probably wouldn't have even caught it.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

rgdeuce wrote:I feel so bad for that dude. 99 of 100 people try to catch that ball. Moises Alou is responsible for ruining his life. Years later he admits he probably wouldn't have even caught it.
I wouldn't blame Moises Alou. I probably would have acted the same in the heat of the moment. It was just a freaky play, and I find no one at fault.

BTW, the Cubs just won today. It's amazing how Madden knows the right player to play at the right time. Great relief appearances by Travis Wood and Trevor Cahill. Since Cahill came to the Cubs and Madden gave him a chance, he's been outstanding.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Huge win by the Cubs today!!!

Series tied up heading to Wrigley with Arrieta set to pitch game 3!!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catintheheat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I feel so bad for that dude. 99 of 100 people try to catch that ball. Moises Alou is responsible for ruining his life. Years later he admits he probably wouldn't have even caught it.
I wouldn't blame Moises Alou. I probably would have acted the same in the heat of the moment. It was just a freaky play, and I find no one at fault.
Moises acted like such a baby in the moments after that play. He threw a full on tantrum and singled out Bartman, thus giving the fans a scapegoat other than the players on the field.

Alex Gonzalez was the true reason they lost that game. Moises should have been glaring and cursing at him, not Bartman.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

He disputes that he ever said that. Makes sense that he wouldn't say it, because the ball clearly was catchable.
Last edited by Longhorned on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
Moises acted like such a baby in the moments after that play. He threw a full on tantrum and singled out Bartman, thus giving the fans a scapegoat other than the players on the field.

Alex Gonzalez was the true reason they lost that game. Moises should have been glaring and cursing at him, not Bartman.
He threw a tantrum, but partly because he wanted a fan interference call. I don't think Alou was aware of any single individual, or could pick him out to single him out. His frustration was directed toward the fans in general in the vicinity, and there were several who reached for it but Bartman was in the best position to catch or deflect the ball.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I saw Alou say it on MLB network when they show classic playoff games and bring several players or coaches from that game to chime in while they show the game.

The cubs just blew it but Bartman was the scapegoat. They completely fell apart on the mound, in the field, and in the dugout. That would have been a tough catch for Alou and you are gonna contend with fans on that ball every time, making it even tougher
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hard to take anything seriously from a guy who urinated(Alou) on his own hands
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That Utley "slide" last night was beyond dirty, and thats coming from a person who is as old school as it gets. I love HBP retaliations and hate the new rules protecting catchers. I love guys who slide hard and knock guys off their feet to break up a double play. But That was one of the dirtiest slides ive ever seen and it wasnt even a slide, it was a foot tackle

And MLB completely effed that call up and possibly changed the whole dynamic of the series. The Dodgers were done and that inning should have been over.

First off, MLB rules clearly state neighborhood plays arent reviewable. That was a much of a neighboorhood play as it gets. Neighborhood play has been around forever to protect middle infielders. What happened last night was EXACTLY where there is a neighborhood play. MLB completely disregarded those rules because they were chicken sh-t. They were too worried about possibly getting a call wrong and having to answer to it that they completely crapped on a century of baseball. They rather get one minor call right, a guy having his toe one inch from the base, than protect their players. Hypocrites. They circumvented that rule by saying a bad throw pulled Tejada off the base and he was playing it like a first baseman. Which is BS, watch that replay and Tejadas momentum is clearly going to first the entire time. Hes treating it like a DP, not a "just get one out." He then pivots when he thinks he has the bag and spins to better line his body up for an accurate throw to first. Then utley creams him. The flip from murphy wasnt perfect, but no flip is going to be on that play in the hole w Tejada speeding to the bag to quickly turn two and avoid the runner. This is MLB lying and talking their way out of it

Second, Utleys slide was illegal. Clearly states in the rulebook that you have to try to slide into the base. Utley started his slide parallel to 2nd and he was feet to the side of it. It was a foot tackle, at best he contacted Tejada high at the same time he first hit the infield dirt. And this was well beyond the bag. His arm was within reach of the bag, which is a rule on a CLEAN slide. Theres also a rule against malice, which is debateable here, but there is clearly no intent to slide into the base here. Utleys intent was to hammer Tejada so that run can score. The Kang slide was legal and tough luck. This wasnt. By rule, thats interference and both Utley and the batter are out, inning over. Umps had a replay to get this right too and completely ignored the rulebook. You didn't need a replay to see it either, it was obvious.

The whole leaving the field thing, apparently there is a new rule permitting what happened last night that circumvents all other rules. Which is fine, but ive yet to see someone cite how this rule applies to someone who never even touched the bag. Never touched the bag, then runs out of the baseline, then leaves the field of play. In all other circumstances utley is out by any of those three. Again, im gonna check the rulebook and see if that rule was bent in this circumstance. Id like to see someone hit a flyball the umpire calls as an out, and the batter stops short of first and goes to the dugout. Then they review it and say it wasnt a catch, and he goes to first? Not buying it but ill look. but if not, umps still blew the two calls above.

This goes down as one of baseballs all time messups. Its historic and i hope it doesnt cost the Mets the series, which would have been over. Theres a reason so many current and ex players are outraged. Justin Upton is one of the hardest nosed players in the game and he was outraged. Hes the type of dude you want breaking up a DP and hes pissed. If the Dodgers want to play 1890s baseball like that, then let the Mets play the same game and put a ball in Adrian Gonzalez's ear, or Utleys if they have the balls to let him play a full game
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

And MLB makes matters worse by suspendingb Utley for two games. Sets a horrible precedent and is just a dumb suspension. Get the DAMN call right, dont suspend. What the hell are they thinking
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol: awesome.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Astros went from looking like their red hot bats were gonna take them to the world series, and an 8th inning choke by the pen makes them look like they have the wind knocked out of them with a knife to their throats. Wow
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The suspension will be overturned. The Union will walk in with hours worth of film similar to this

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Whatever happened to pitching wins in the playoffs?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Whatever,

Every year the media loves to sunshine pump the cardinals and dodgers until they run in to real teams.

If the mets win tonight, it will be perfect.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Arrieta has his worst game in months and and offense comes through. 6 HR's by the Cubs in a game, a playoff record. I hope rookie Addison Russell can play, they really need him at SS. He has a hamstring injury so is doubtful. Baez made 2 errors and I never was a Castro fan at short. Castro is much better at 2B. Russell, Bryant, and Rizzo have been outstanding defensively. This has been a really fun series to watch.

The Cubs are going to pitch Hammel. The Cards have a decision to make.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Garcia and the defense royally messed up in game 2. Then get six runs in an Arrieta start and lose? Despite Lackeys great game one, cards problem is they dont have that dominant starter you KNOW is going to get a win and push it to five. No Chris Carpenter, Wainwrights in the pen, and missed most of the year and Wacha isnt the same Wacha. Theres some buzz about Wainwright getting the ball, but his arm isnt conditioned right now to give you more than 5 innings especially coming off an inning and 2/3 tonight. Normally the cards wouldnt be sweating, but they are now.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.