2014 New York Yankees

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

2014 New York Yankees

Post by Chicat »

It's been a bowl full of meh with a side order of blech so far, but Tanaka is legit...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/
Dominating the American League
Tanaka's AL superiority doesn't stop at wins and ERA this season.

He also leads the circuit in WHIP (0.95), and ranks 2nd in strikeout rate (29.1% of plate appearances), strikeouts per 9 innings (10.2).

He's also been remarkably consistent. Every one of Tanaka's 14 major-league starts has been a quality start (at least 6 IP and 3 or fewer ER allowed), which makes this the 2nd-longest such streak to start a career in MLB history.

Avoiding Contact
But it's not just what Tanaka is doing -- it's the overpowering manner in which he's doing it.

He gets batters to chase pitches out of the strike zone at a higher rate (38.5%) than any other pitcher in the majors, and when they swing, they miss at a 29.9% clip, the highest in the American League.

Batters are swinging on 15 percent of all the pitches he throws, the highest rate of any pitcher in the majors.

Difference-Making Pitch: Splitter
The difference-making pitch for Tanaka has been his devastating splitter. He throws the splitter at a higher rate than anyone else (nearly 1 out of every 4 pitches).

He has 60 strikeouts with his splitter this season, more than twice as many as any other pitcher in baseball, and the pitch has accounted for more than half of his strikeouts this season.

This season, batters have taken 246 swings against Tanaka's splitter and have missed 120 times, both the most of any pitcher on that pitch by far. Opposing batters are hitting .125 in at-bats ending with Tanaka's splitter.

When he's gotten into trouble this season, he's gotten out of it with the splitter, as batters are 2-35 with 20 K against Tanaka's splitter with runners in scoring position this season.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Re: 2014 New York Yankees

Post by EastCoastCat »

Tanaka has a slight tear...out for at least 6 weeks.

Feels similar to the Harvey situation. Does he have season ending TJ surgery?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:Tanaka has a slight tear...out for at least 6 weeks.

Feels similar to the Harvey situation. Does he have season ending TJ surgery?
I'm guessing he'll eventually get TJ.

80% of the starting rotation is out. No bueno...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I have to wonder if picking up Stephen Drew means no Tulo in 2015. I sincerely hope that's not the plan. Otherwise I like what they did at the deadline, especially with how little they gave up.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

At this stage Drew isn't anything special. Steady, heady defensive vet with marginal offensive impact. You don't not go after Tulowitski because of Drew. Tulowitski is always battling nagging injuries, so Drew is a nice backup. Drew could also play 2B as a starter with an offseason to adjust.

My guess is Scherzer and Tulo are both Yankees.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:At this stage Drew isn't anything special. Steady, heady defensive vet with marginal offensive impact. You don't not go after Tulowitski because of Drew. Tulowitski is always battling nagging injuries, so Drew is a nice backup. Drew could also play 2B as a starter with an offseason to adjust.

My guess is Scherzer and Tulo are both Yankees.
I didn't realize Drew isn't on a multi-year contract, so that's good. Not sure if he's an upgrade over Kelly Johnson.
teemackdee

Post by teemackdee »

Chase Headley was already an upgrade over Johnson at 3rd so I have no problem with this move, especially with Johnson on the DL right now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well, Jeter certainly made his last home game a memorable one.

I can't believe his career in pinstripes is over...
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Ok........enough!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

can we just send him to sainthood and be done with it...geez
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

EastCoastCat wrote:can we just send him to sainthood and be done with it...geez
No kidding.

Sports talk yesterday was insufferable.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What bothers me about sports talk both in favor of Jeter's legacy and against is that it's all hot air. Make him out to be the greatest Yankee of all time and you'll have someone saying he'll be one of the worst players to make the hall of fame and that his entire career was inflated by playing in NY.

Personally, I tend to side with the argument for his greatness. 20 years at shortstop. More hits than all but 5 players ever. Five World Series rings in seven appearances, including one where he won MVP honors. The clutch plays (the Mr. November home run, the dive, the assist). And he was the face of the greatest sports franchise in America for two decades. All the while he is one of the more humble sports stars you'll ever know.

If you really want to know whether Jeter deserves the praise he gets or doesn't maybe just listen to what he says about himself:

"You want to be known as someone that had respect for the game. Respect for your teammates, respect for the fans, respect for the media. Played the game hard. But for me, I'm happy being known as a Yankee. That's the only thing I've ever wanted to be, was the shortstop of the New York Yankees, and I had an opportunity to do that for 20 years. Being remembered as a Yankee is good enough for me."

I'm going to really miss that guy...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've sometimes wondered if his life off the field has detracted from his achievements on the field. He's such a model citizen and an outright benefit to society and his community that he attracts no controversy. He settled a state tax dispute with New York, basically the result of a technicality that's common with people who have residences in a state with no state income tax (Florida). He stayed up late one night and partied like over 10 years ago. He dated some celebrities without any drama involved. When he hosted SNL, he came off as the likable, humble guy he is. The result is that he's a real baseball fan's baseball player, and his achievements are relatively quiet and stand on their own merits. I kind of think those achievements are more amazing than they appear.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm not a fan of the Yankees, but I've been a fan of Jeter.