2018/19 Offseason Moves

Post by Coop Cat »

azgreg

Re: 2018/19 Offseason Moves

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

With Corbin going to the Nats, I really hope the Yankees don’t panic and bring back Eovaldi at some ridiculous price.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Goldschmidt traded to Cardinals for right-handed pitcher Luke Weaver, catcher Carson Kelly and infielder Andy Young

WTF

18/1 odds for the Cardinals to win the World Series before the trade.
Last edited by Jefe on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No shit. Is Sarver running the DBacks? Is this a good trade?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Mets fans on suicide watch.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:Mets fans on suicide watch.
Huh??? Not sure I understand.

Listened yesterday to their top brass (owner, GM, manager) on the Francesa show and Mets fans are actually pumped with Brody as the GM. They also like the Cano trade as well as their commitment to retaining the core of the team including their starting pitchers.

If you are referring to Machado/Harper - nobody thinks they are actually in the running based on the approach they are taking.

They need a catcher and a big right handed bat. That's for sure.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:

Listened yesterday to their top brass (owner, GM, manager) on the Francesa show and Mets fans are actually pumped with Brody as the GM. They also like the Cano trade as well as their commitment to retaining the core of the team including their starting pitchers.

If you are referring to Machado/Harper - nobody thinks they are actually in the running based on the approach they are taking.

They gave up a bunch to get a guy coming off a PED suspension in his 36-40 age years when they could have had Goldy.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

DBacks getting rid of their best hitter and best pitcher?.... Bold strategy.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:DBacks getting rid of their best hitter and best pitcher?.... Bold strategy.
Neither were going to re-sign here so what do you expect? Let both them walk for nothing? Al least they get something for Goldschmidt and a draft pick for Corbin
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:

They gave up a bunch to get a guy coming off a PED suspension in his 36-40 age years when they could have had Goldy.
Yeah, I get what you are saying now but honestly who knew the Dbacks were going to be so stupid?

Btw, the Dodgers extend a huge thank you to the Dbacks.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:
Alieberman wrote:DBacks getting rid of their best hitter and best pitcher?.... Bold strategy.
Neither were going to re-sign here so what do you expect? Let both them walk for nothing? Al least they get something for Goldschmidt and a draft pick for Corbin
We'll get one for Pollack as well.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
We'll get one for Pollack as well.
Hazen has done great things for this organization so far. No reason not to trust him with the Goldschmidt move yet. Goldy only had one year of control and for two years the dbacks tried to extend him and they couldnt agree. Had to make the move. The worst thing you could have done is try to compete this year and miss the playoffs then lose Goldy for nothing. And even with Goldy the chances of competing were very very slim with losing Corbin and Pollack.

Additionally Hazen had talks with Houston and Minnesota and several other teams. The market for Goldschmidt is not as high as everyone thinks since he is only under control for one year. There is no way the preliminary talks with the other teams were close to the deal that the snakes got with St. Louis

With players like Ahmed who is the best defensive SS in the NL and a decent bat, Marte, Lamb, Walker and Escobar along with guys you can probably extend like Souza if he returns to TB Souza and Peralta you have a good young core that can complete with a sell off sooner than the Astros and Cubs. You have your first two rounders then two other first rounders for losing Corbin and Pollock and a second rounder with this trade, the dbacks can contend again in two or three years easily.

Just remember this deal and Hazen didnt fuck the dbacks over. Dave Stewart did. Fuck that guy. Tomas is one of the worst signings ever and trading a good pitching prospect, the #1 overall pick and Ender who is a steals hit for average and gold glove outfield for fucking SHelby Miller did.

Oh and Fuck asu and fuck Larry Scott
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:

Yeah, I get what you are saying now but honestly who knew the Dbacks were going to be so stupid?

If you’re going to make the first deal, get the guy who everyone wants and set the market. Mets seemed to be in “make ANY deal” mode.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:

If you’re going to make the first deal, get the guy who everyone wants and set the market. Mets seemed to be in “make ANY deal” mode.
Well, Goldshmidt is 31 and in the last year of his contract. No way the Mets were going to give up key prospects because they are still rebuilding - they are not the Yankees ya know. :P

The Cano trade was a financial move as Seattle is absorbing some of $120mil owed plus dealing Bruce and Swarzak offsets money as well. Next year this trade will actually save the Mets $3.5 mil while adding an impact bat and a shut down closer in Diaz.

Mets fans are just happy there is a new attitude with their new ex-agent Brodie Van Wagenen as GM. In the past the Mets were on the sidelines and it pissed everybody off.

They know they need more than just Cano and Diaz but at least it's a start.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I agree that the Cano deal will have to be viewed through the lens of everything else they do.

But why do I get the feeling it’s the only thing they do?

(hint: because they’re the Mets)
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Haha - yeah that's the consensus out here. "There better be more" is the line being used.

But if they keep that pitching staff, get a catcher and a big right-handed bat they can make some noise.

I'm sure you are glad the Yanks didn't sign Eovaldi. I wouldn't have given him 4 years.
Happ is next I suppose or Morton although those guys are both pretty old.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:Haha - yeah that's the consensus out here. "There better be more" is the line being used.

But if they keep that pitching staff, get a catcher and a big right-handed bat they can make some noise.

I'm sure you are glad the Yanks didn't sign Eovaldi. I wouldn't have given him 4 years.
Happ is next I suppose or Morton although those guys are both pretty old.
Very relieved on Eovaldi. He got four years for half a season of pitching well against the Yankees.

I’m fine with Happ. I’d be over the moon if somehow they could swing a deal for MadBum though. Both would make me giddy.

Mets should talk to the Cards about Jedd Gyorko.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Dodgers pick-up Joe Kelly for 3 years/25mil.

Great get to bolster the back end of the bullpen which was a sore spot last year.
And he was lights out last year in the playoffs so not afraid of the big spot.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dodgers getting Homer Bailey and sending Kemp and Puig to the Reds. Dodgers getting cash or picks too?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Dodgers getting Homer Bailey and sending Kemp and Puig to the Reds. Dodgers getting cash or picks too?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It feels like Kemp has been in the Mlb since the mid 90s. I swear I had a sports illustrated for kids poster of him in like 1995.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It's a move to set up the next move...
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

A.J. Pollock to the Dodgers.

I like the move if he can stay healthy. They needed a right-handed bat moreso than Harper so it looks like their outfield is set. Pollock will more than likely play center and the Joc/Max/Cody/Taylor/Hernandez mix will cover the corners.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Think the Harper contract is very good for Philly. Long contract but at a relatively low per year rate. Good work by them. Also saw some reports that LAD offered $45/year for 4 years making Harper a FA at age 30 again. Damn, if true
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:Good thing the Yankees didn’t sign Machado in order to sign Arenado next year...

:roll:
Good thing the Yankees didn’t sign Harper so they could go all in on Mike Trout.