2019 MLB Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

2019 MLB Season Thread

Post by azgreg »

What's everybody's thoughts on the new rules proposals?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/thre ... -for-2019/" target="_blank

A three-batter minimum for pitchers

A universal designated hitter

A single trade deadline before the All-Star break

A 20-second pitch clock

The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum

Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams

A study to lower the mound

A rule that would allow two-sport amateurs to sign major league contracts
Chicat

Re: 2019 MLB Season Thread

Post by Chicat »

Like it.

Like it.

Like it, but timing should remain after the ASB.

Don’t like it.

Don’t need it.

Would need to hear more.

Unnecessary.

Can’t they already?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:What's everybody's thoughts on the new rules proposals?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/thre ... -for-2019/" target="_blank

A three-batter minimum for pitchers
i don't have strong opinions on the rest but "Fucking Yes" to this 1.

Having teams bring 3 or 4 pitchers up in a single half inning is an absolute joke
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

A three-batter minimum for pitchers - totally in favor. Will help deal with the "slowness of the game" issue. Also makes lefties have to pitch to righties and vice versa which I like. Evens out the playing field for the manager of the hitting team.

A universal designated hitter - I'm a NL guy but it's time so yeah

A single trade deadline before the All-Star break - I like it

A 20-second pitch clock - No. I'm not a fan of clocks in Baseball...just doesn't feel right as a purist.

The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum - no problem with this. They do play 162 games.

Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams - Not sure. Interesting concept but the draft in Baseball is so much more different than the other sports.

A study to lower the mound - hmmm why? Do pitchers have that much of an advantage these day? I don't think so.

A rule that would allow two-sport amateurs to sign major league contracts - in this the Kyler Murray rule? I don't have an opinion.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The AL should man up and stop the DH.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What!?! DH is the NL?

Ugh talk about watering down the game. The people support this are the same that can’t/won’t/don’t appreciate the genius that is better call Saul

But MOR hits!!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:The AL should man up and stop the DH.
Yeah, the Players Union is really going to just shrug their shoulders as 15 vets at a position with the highest average salary get put out of a job so pitchers can pull both hamstrings sliding into 3rd...

:roll:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ECC I’m curious? Why is it time? The NL consistently is the better league, why should it have to change?

It think the mix up in strategy based on who is at home during intern league play and WS play is an awesome wrinkle. Why do away?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

DH is for pussies but it seems like it is happening

It is extremely unlikely that the anything will happen before the CBA expires in 2021 on this front.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

i'm a national league guy and not a fan of the dh.

but.... it's completely weird that the 2 leagues have completely different rules and different makeups of their rosters. Since the DH is not going away, just make it universal already.... should have been done long ago
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Last 30 World Series:

AL - 17
NL - 13

How is the NL the consistently better league?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:ECC I’m curious? Why is it time? The NL consistently is the better league, why should it have to change?

It think the mix up in strategy based on who is at home during intern league play and WS play is an awesome wrinkle. Why do away?
While I have never been a fan of the DH - and I've been around since it's inception - I am tired of the 2 leagues playing under different rules.

And since there is no way the players union would ever do away with the DH I am willing to finally change my staunch position on the subject so the game can become unified. BTW, I hate the stupid post-season rule where both sides have to adapt after playing the same way for 162 games. It's just silly.

BTW, I don't think the NL is consistently better especially as my Dodgers have lost 2 WS in a row. :cry: I would say the NL requires a bit more strategy, which I have always liked but both leagues have great teams as well as shitty teams.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The last 15 years of interleague play:

AL - 14
NL - 1

“The NL is the consistently better league...”

:lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Overall interleague record

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleague_play" target="_blank

Overall:
American 3,032-2,732 .526

Since 2010:
2010 American 134-118 .532
2011 American 131-121 .520
2012 American 142-110 .563
2013 American 154-146 .513
2014 American 163-137 .543
2015 American 167-133 .557
2016 American 165-135 .550
2017 American 160-140 .533
2018 National 142-158 .527
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Good points ECC, I haven’t considered.

I really like the strategy of NL ball and don’t mind the “home field advantage” it gives but I see your valid points.
sf25

Post by sf25 »

A three-batter minimum for pitchers - Yes

A universal designated hitter - No

A single trade deadline before the All-Star break - No, Keep it after the break. Teams need more time to evaluate if they can contend. It’s a long season.

A 20-second pitch clock - Yes

The expansion of rosters to 26 men, with a 12-pitcher maximum - Yes

Draft advantages for winning teams and penalties for losing teams - if every team can earn a benefit for winning, sure. Some teams already get competitive balance picks. No reason to create another rule to solely subsidize the Rays and A’s.

A study to lower the mound - keep it where it is

A rule that would allow two-sport amateurs to sign major league contracts - Yes. might as well leave it open so baseball can be competitive for a future generational talent
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Cool, Internet is never wrong and I stand corrected.

Thanks

Humble crow pie please.

My bias is that I find NL ball more interesting to watch from a decision and management standpoint.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I like the additional strategy required without the DH.

Bottom 6 runner on 2nd 1 out and the pitcher is due up. He's pitching well but you need a run. What do you do?
sf25

Post by sf25 »

azgreg wrote:I like the additional strategy required without the DH.

Bottom 6 runner on 2nd 1 out and the pitcher is due up. He's pitching well but you need a run. What do you do?
This is what I enjoy as well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is the pitcher a reliever because your starter left in the third after tweaking his elbow awkwardly fouling the ball off his foot?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Pitchers I actually want to see hit:

1. Shohei Ohtani
2. Madison Bumgarner

End of list.

This strategy thing you all are touting is based on the pitcher being a terrible hitter. How about the strategy involved in knowing there’s no automatic out in a lineup? You see a whole lot more strikes being thrown when the opposing pitcher and manager know the next guy up is just as dangerous if not moreso.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:

Is the pitcher a reliever because your starter left in the third after tweaking his elbow awkwardly fouling the ball off his foot?
Starter or not isn't the point. I just like the additional strategy of pulling the pitcher or not.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Starter or not isn't the point. I just like the additional strategy of pulling the pitcher or not.
C’mon strategy guy, you have to recognize the decision is different depending on whether it’s your starter or a middle reliever.....
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I believe there should be a constitutional amendment banning the designated hitter.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

C’mon strategy guy, you have to recognize the decision is different depending on whether it’s your starter or a middle reliever.....
The situation is clearly about a pitcher who is pitching well and still has gas in the tank. If it's the starter and it's late in the game and hsi pitch count is up there it's really not a strategy position as you clearly pull him. I thought you were smarter than that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

The situation is clearly about a pitcher who is pitching well and still has gas in the tank.
It is? I don’t see that in the original question and my question pokes all sorts of holes in that.
azgreg wrote:If it's the starter and it's late in the game and hsi pitch count is up there it's really not a strategy position as you clearly pull him.
The 6th is late in the game?
azgreg wrote:I thought you were smarter than that.
Pretty unsmart of you to make assumptions. :lol:
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:

Oh like that happens a lot :roll:
Since you are an AL fan I know you prefer your managers take a nap until the 7th inning.

Actually, being a Dodger fan that scenario happens a lot with Kershaw (no damn post-season jokes please). He's actually not a bad hitter so it makes the decision even tougher.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

One of the best moments in playoff and Diamondbacks history is Archie's triple in the 2017 NLWC. Again DH is for pussies
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Masahiro Tanaka - Both Hamstrings
Adam Wainwright - Achilles
Randy Johnson - Rotator Cuff
Carlos Zambrano - Hamstring
Josh Beckett - Back
Chien-Ming Wang - Foot Tendon
Mark Prior - Right Shoulder

I like watching pitchers pitch, not hit. And definitely not get hurt hitting. The Chien-Ming injury probably hurt me personally the most since the Yankees were in line to make the playoffs and then limped (pun intended) to the finish line in third place trotting out Sidney Ponson’s fat ass every fifth day.

I like the DH.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:Masahiro Tanaka - Both Hamstrings
Josh Beckett - Back

I like watching pitchers pitch, not hit. And definitely not get hurt hitting. The Chien-Ming injury probably hurt me personally the most since the Yankees were in line to make the playoffs and then limped (pun intended) to the finish line in third place trotting out Sidney Ponson’s fat ass every fifth day.

I like the DH.
I also don't like pitchers getting hurt. Therefore, I don't think we should let them pitch either. It's just too dangerous.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:The situation is clearly about a pitcher who is pitching well and still has gas in the tank.
It is? I don’t see that in the original question and my question pokes all sorts of holes in that.
Yes it is. I get that an American League guy not understanding that.
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:If it's the starter and it's late in the game and his pitch count is up there it's really not a strategy position as you clearly pull him.
Yes it.
Chicat wrote:
I guess I was wrong then when I said I thought you were smarter than that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:The situation is clearly about a pitcher who is pitching well and still has gas in the tank.
Yes it is. I get that an American League guy not understanding that.
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:If it's the starter and it's late in the game and his pitch count is up there it's really not a strategy position as you clearly pull him.
Yes it.
Chicat wrote:
I guess I was wrong then when I said I thought you were smarter than that.
I know you are but what am I?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
Chicat wrote:Masahiro Tanaka - Both Hamstrings
Josh Beckett - Back

I like the DH.
I also don't like pitchers getting hurt. Therefore, I don't think we should let them pitch either. It's just too dangerous.
At least it’s doing what people paid to see them do.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Man, you NL fans sure are touchy.

I guess going 1-14 in interleague will do that to you... :lol:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:Man, you NL fans sure are touchy.

I'm so much happier arguing about this than "that other little issue"

PS. Fuck the Yankees!!!!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I have been to hundreds of games in all sports including many many tournament and playoff games. Moments in the stadium/arena live this is right up there with the Salim shot to beat OK State and the Cardinals winning the NFC Title Game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:

PS. Fuck the Yankees!!!!
Your Cubs are gonna be savagely mediocre and after the season Madden will be shown the door and they’ll break up Bryzzo.

Happy Friday!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote:

This...totally.

Chi - just for you I removed the "Fuck the Yankees" quote although I too hate them. BTW, I'm listening to your fans back here bitch about not going after Harper, Machado et al. They don't realize Cashman is saving his pennies to shell out to Judge, Sanchez, Andujar, Torrez etc.. who will all need to get paid handsomely pretty soon.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

PS. Fuck the Yankees!!!!
Your Cubs are gonna be savagely mediocre and after the season Madden will be shown the door and they’ll break up Bryzzo.

Happy Friday!
I am fully aware that it will be another 100+ years until the Cubs win the WS again so nothing anyone says against the Cubs can hurt me!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Oh like that happens a lot :roll:
Since you are an AL fan I know you prefer your managers take a nap until the 7th inning.

Actually, being a Dodger fan that scenario happens a lot with Kershaw (no damn post-season jokes please). He's actually not a bad hitter so it makes the decision even tougher.
I’m a giants fan so obviously watching Bumgarner hit is fun and brings a ton of strategy/suspense to the game.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:PS. Fuck the Yankees!!!!
I used to think this away about the Yankees as well until I came to the realization that it was just envy. Must be nice to be a fan of a team that has owners that will do anything to win and not just worry about the box office.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Alieberman wrote:PS. Fuck the Yankees!!!!
I used to think this away about the Yankees as well until I came to the realization that it was just envy. Must be nice to be a fan of a team that has owners that will do anything to win and not just worry about the box office.
They do anything to win and the box office takes care of itself.

The Cubs were the opposite for way too long. The box office took care of itself so they didn’t do anything to win. I fear them slipping back down that rabbit hole.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How about this scenario NL fans?

You get the DH, but can use it for ANY position. Bumgarner or Kershaw get to hit but that wispy middle infielder you just called up from Triple A doesn’t have to...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:How about this scenario NL fans?

You get the DH, but can use it for ANY position. Bumgarner or Kershaw get to hit but that wispy middle infielder you just called up from Triple A doesn’t have to...
I would rather you use the term "banjo hitter". Wispy sounds a little...well, in our PC culture I will refrain from using the term. But any every day player would lose their Baseball-man card if that happened to be honest.

The only position nowadays to warrant that is possibly the catcher if you had very good hitting pitcher.

God knows I can hit better than Austin Barnes. :(
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good thing the Yankees didn’t sign Machado in order to sign Arenado next year...

:roll:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This is awesome.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chris Davis got a hit today! Woo Hoo!