Mike Trout

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Mike Trout

Post by 97cats »

From David Schoenfield:

Mike Trout in 18 plate appearances this series against the Rangers: 13 times reached base, five home runs, six walks.

For the season he's now hitting .3913.581/1.000 with 11 walks and just three strikeouts. Let's dream on what a peak Trout season may look like.

More on Trout, from ESPN Stats & Info: Trout just had one of the best series by anyone, ever. He was 6-for-11 with five HRs and six walks -- contributing to a 2.631 OPS, the third-highest by anyone in a four-game series in MLB history (min. 15 PA). The highest ever was 3.111 by Babe Ruth in June of 1921 against the Tigers. He was 8-for-12 with six HRs and six walks in that series at the Polo Grounds. He also started and won a game on the mound in that series, striking out Ty Cobb. The second-highest OPS ever was 2.850 by Mickey Mantle in July of 1962 against the A's, as he launched five HRs and walked six times.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/_/id/3
azcat49

Re: Mike Trout

Post by azcat49 »

Always thought he was the modern day Mickey Mantle, minus the switch hitting of course. Wish he was on TV more. Best in baseball by far
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

MIKE TROUT’S WALK-TO-STRIKEOUT RATIO

There was a time when Mike Trout’s strikeout and walk statistics were… normal. They were the one feature of his game that didn’t include any video game-crazy numbers. In 2014, for instance, when he won his first MVP, he finished 18th in walk percentage (11.8%) and 14th in strikeout percentage (26.1%). See? Normal!

But normal isn’t good enough for Trout, obviously. Over the years, he’s steadily been increasing his walk rate, until last season, when he led the league here for the first time (20.1%). That’s all well and good—for the best player of his generation just to get even better, in an area where he didn’t particularly have to, simply to be the best at everything—but it was still, in some sense, in the realm of normal. It wasn’t better than the best from Joey Votto. It didn’t signal any larger change in his approach; his strikeout percentage hovered right about where it had been historically, giving him a walk-to-strikeout rate of 0.98—almost even, but not quite—the fifth-highest in baseball.

That was 2018. 2019? This season Trout has walked 16 times. He has struck out five. He’s still swinging. He still has all his power—and then some, as you can see by his .816 SLG. (Not OPS. SLG.) He’s just… walking all the time and striking out almost never. His eye is perfect. His BB/K is 3.2.

Amazing. And it gets even more so. Look up the five pitchers to strike him out—Frankie Montas, Adrian Sampson, Jeffrey Springs, Jhoulys Chacin, Mike Minor. Yep. Okay. Sure!

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/04/17/chris ... size-stats
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The catch he just made against Brett Gardner to save a couple of runs may not go in his all time highlight reel, but it was fucking sick. Not sure I’ve ever seen a centerfielder get a better jump on a ball.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

MLB Awards Watch: An epic MVP race, Cy Young picks and more

AL MVP

Awards Index leaders

1. Mike Trout

2. Alex Bregman

3. Jorge Polanco

4. Xander Bogaerts

5. Mookie Betts

Hypothetical odds: Trout -450, Francisco Lindor +700, Bregman +800, Michael Brantley +1,000, Field +750

How close is this race? It's not. Mike Trout is threatening to lap the field. The cluster behind him is tight but it also full of players -- Polanco, Bogaerts, DJ LeMahieu -- who are more likely to regress in the wrong direction than maintain their current pace. The most likely candidates to make a run at Trout are Bregman and Betts, so this may end up looking a lot like last season's chase. -- Doolittle

Why the numbers favor ... Trout. The current pace for his counting stats is 44 homers, 107 RBIs, 125 runs and 142 walks. The percentages -- .294/.462/.630 -- are pretty much right in the neighborhood of what he has done the past three years. So in addition to shining in the value metrics, his standard performance record is dominated by black ink. We can muse about what an actual career season would look like for Trout, but maybe he won't have that one unfathomable campaign that stands out. Maybe they are all career seasons. -- Doolittle

But the narrative belongs to ... Nobody yet. Bregman will get some extra credit given all the injuries in the Houston lineup. Bogaerts' great season has kind of flown under the radar. Polanco has received some attention. Yankees fans will try to argue for LeMahieu. The only narrative going is that Trout again is the best player in the league and his team is unlikely to make the postseason. -- Schoenfield

A dark horse to watch: The A's are quietly hanging around .500, about what they were doing last season when they surged in the second half. Matt Chapman was a beast in that run -- .309/.371/.591 -- and finished seventh in the MVP voting. He's arguably the best defensive player in the majors and if he has another monster second half (he's already top 10 in WAR), he could challenge Trout if the A's make another surprising playoff run.. -- Schoenfield

The bottom line: Building a narrative case appears to be the only avenue for an AL player to overtake Trout, who once again is putting up a historic season for an also-ran. But even when you fold in context, you have to consider this: Trout leads the AL in win probability added. -- Doolittle

It took a Herculean season from Mookie Betts last year to wrestle MVP honors away from Trout. Nobody is having that kind of season in the AL so far. -- Schoenfield

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/270 ... picks-more
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Mike Trout, Angels

Trout’s seven years in a row as an All-Star starter is a record for an Angels player. He received 993,857 votes, the most of any finalist. Trout was All-Star game MVP in 2014 and 2015.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

most HRs by a centerfielder (first 1,152 games)

Rank Player Home Runs
1. Willie Mays 270
2. Mike Trout 268
3. Ken Griffey Jr. 268
4. Mickey Mantle 262
5. Joe DiMaggio 252
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

97cats wrote:most HRs by a centerfielder (first 1,152 games)

Rank Player Home Runs
1. Willie Mays 270
2. Mike Trout 268
3. Ken Griffey Jr. 268
4. Mickey Mantle 262
5. Joe DiMaggio 252
I was just going to mention he reminds me of Willie Mays in his all-around game.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the greatness of Derek Jeter is unquestioned, one of the greatest shortstops and players of all time and one of the best leaders and winners in the games history. Jeter revolutionized the way shortstop is played and will go down as one of the clutchest baseball players to ever live.

a sure fire first ballot HOF player in 2020 when he becomes eligible, Jeter is the modern day gold standard on how to play the game, how to win, how to make your teammates better, how to intimidate, how to perform your best when it counted most, and how to do it all with class.

his overall aptitude and immeasurables on the diamond were second to none, and his uncanny ability to be two steps ahead of everyone else, seeming always to be in the right place at the right time has been celebrated for what feels like decades now - the bigger the spot the more spectacular he was.

for me, nothing encapsulates this more than "The Flip" play - athleticism, brains, timing, execution, genius, winning - its one of the most iconic plays in MLB playoff history, IMO.

in the American League Division Series against the Oakland A's on Oct. 13, 2001 he came out of nowhere to cut off a poor throw from right field, picked it up, and then flipped it in one fluid motion to get the runner out at the plate.

the situation: seventh inning, game 3 of the series against the A's. New York led the game 1-0 Terrence Long drove a Mike Mussina pitch down the right-field line.

Shane Spencer corralled the ball, but his throw back in missed everyone and bounced toward the plate. Jeremy Giambi was heading for home for the A's, and appeared certain to make it after the errant throw.

Then this happened:

Jeter, as he always seemed to be, was in the right place at the right time, grabbing the ball on the hop in between first and home and flipped it to catcher Jorge Posada, who tagged out a standing and stunned Giambi.

legend

Derek Jeter was and still is Mike Trout's hero - Trout himself still regularly talks about idolizing Jeter growing up and modeling his game, approach, and attitude after the Yankee Captain.

one of Trout's proudest moments in his 8.5 years so far? tripling off the right field wall in the first inning of the 2014 All Star game driving in his idol (Derek Jeter) who was on second base.

to many, including Trout, everyone else is measured next to Jeter for all the reasons and examples mentioned above - hell the man hit a walk off home run in his last plate appearance at Yankee Stadium in his last at bat of his career.

legend

thats what makes this next part below so incredible, the greatness of Derek Jeter is indisputable.

Derek Jeter:

2,747 games played - 12,602 plate appearances - 11,195 at bats

WAR - 72.4

Mike Trout:

1,186 games played - 5,218 plate appearances - 4,298 at bats

WAR - 72.5

this morning, after a home run and a triple yesterday, a diving catch and a few run down fly balls and a couple walks, Mike Trout moved to 57th All-Time in Career Leaders & Records for WAR Position Players, one spot ahead of Jeter.

a feat so ridiculous that its hard to fathom - a tad more ridiculous than finishing in the top two of the MVP balloting in six of his first seven full seasons (his only not top two finish - 4th in 2017 when he missed 48 games almost all after the all star break with a torn ligament in his thumb) and Trout now is a runaway freight train toward his third MVP in eight full seasons leading the AL in almost every major statistical category.

for context, Mike Trout has yet to finish his 9th season and just turned 28 years of age on August 7th of this month - its often said that a baseball player hits its prime at age 28, scary and marvelous to think that Trout's best seasons are still ahead of him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I had heard that WAR stat yesterday and was totally gobsmacked.

Granted, Jeter was a defensive liability from about age 32 on, which drags down his full career value, but holy shit ... for Mike Trout to already surpass The Captain is fucking phenomenal.

MLB should be doing everything in their power to make the Angels build a playoff caliber team around him right now. I don’t know how much arm twisting they can do with their front office and player agents but honestly it should be Angels/Yankees in the AL Championship for five out of the next seven years. Mike Trout is going to retire at some point and it will be the greatest marketing miss in sports history if they didn’t build their brand around this once a century talent.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Chicat wrote:I had heard that WAR stat yesterday and was totally gobsmacked.

Granted, Jeter was a defensive liability from about age 32 on, which drags down his full career value, but holy shit ... for Mike Trout to already surpass The Captain is fucking phenomenal.

MLB should be doing everything in their power to make the Angels build a playoff caliber team around him right now. I don’t know how much arm twisting they can do with their front office and player agents but honestly it should be Angels/Yankees in the AL Championship for five out of the next seven years. Mike Trout is going to retire at some point and it will be the greatest marketing miss in sports history if they didn’t build their brand around this once a century talent.
As an Angels fan since 1975 (really '71 but '75 was my first game i remember) I agree 10000000%.

I was overjoyed when Arte bought the team. A wildcat no less. Sadly his meddling in free agent signings has hamstrung the Halo's and Trout's legacy. :x
97cats

Post by 97cats »

im pretty in tune and (obsessed is a better term) with the stats of baseball (current and historical) so ive been tracking this, but even so, im still floored myself and i saw it coming.
Chicat wrote:Granted, Jeter was a defensive liability from about age 32 on, which drags down his full career value, but holy shit ...
i think you're being a little tough on him, perhaps started to decline at 32 a bit, but definitely agree that he was a liability his last three/four or so years, he just didnt have the range or strength anymore but like he did in so many other areas, he tended to mask that decline to the regular fan with his intellect, angels, experience, and understanding of the game.
Chicat wrote:for Mike Trout to already surpass The Captain is fucking phenomenal.
like i said, im super into baseball stats because it allows me to compare players over time where other sports you must compare by eras - i saw it coming and still am in awe.
Chicat wrote:MLB should be doing everything in their power to make the Angels build a playoff caliber team around him right now.
this Pujols deal is just a killer - he cost them another game last night with another error in extra innings. he cant run or move and outside of a few slaps the other way and a barrel here or there its an easy out.

the worst part is the Angels have him for two more years, and they are jamming the historical reference and accomplishment tour down the fans throats and its wearing thin. each day they point to another historical reference or milestone that hes passing - the latest: hes 10 hits away from catching Cal Ripkin on the all time hits list, let the countdown begin!!

fucking uuuuuuuuhg! :x
Chicat wrote:I don’t know how much arm twisting they can do with their front office and player agents but honestly it should be Angels/Yankees in the AL Championship for five out of the next seven years.
i dont disagree with this at all, but i defer and ask the masses, what can the league force them to do?

in all honesty i dont think MLB was expecting Trout to resign two years out - they were caught flat footed. i do believe they were expecting and hoping he was in NYC or Philly and now have to find a way to react.
Chicat wrote:Mike Trout is going to retire at some point and it will be the greatest marketing miss in sports history if they didn’t build their brand around this once a century talent.
i cant disagree with this either - living in SoCal its maddening to see a team with some many holes and so much inept leadership. the rest of the country barely knows or understands what Trout is doing.

and lets face it, baseball has become a september/october sport, people dont pay attention to it in large part until that time, and as we know full well, Trout isnt playing...

which takes me to my final point on him and Jeter - for all of Trout's success through 8.5 season, he still a big fat zero in series playoff wins and world series titles.

Jeter was a winner (five titles) and no WAR stat can ever trump those championships.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:
im pretty in tune and (obsessed is a better term) with the stats of baseball (current and historical) so ive been tracking this, but even so, im still floored myself and i saw it coming.
Chicat wrote:Granted, Jeter was a defensive liability from about age 32 on, which drags down his full career value, but holy shit ...
i think you're being a little tough on him, perhaps started to decline at 32 a bit, but definitely agree that he was a liability his last three/four or so years, he just didnt have the range or strength anymore but like he did in so many other areas, he tended to mask that decline to the regular fan with his intellect, angels, experience, and understanding of the game.
Chicat wrote:for Mike Trout to already surpass The Captain is fucking phenomenal.
like i said, im super into baseball stats because it allows me to compare players over time where other sports you must compare by eras - i saw it coming and still am in awe.
Chicat wrote:MLB should be doing everything in their power to make the Angels build a playoff caliber team around him right now.
this Pujols deal is just a killer - he cost them another game last night with another error in extra innings. he cant run or move and outside of a few slaps the other way and a barrel here or there its an easy out.

the worst part is the Angels have him for two more years, and they are jamming the historical reference and accomplishment tour down the fans throats and its wearing thin. each day they point to another historical reference or milestone that hes passing - the latest: hes 10 hits away from catching Cal Ripkin on the all time hits list, let the countdown begin!!

fucking uuuuuuuuhg! :x
Chicat wrote:I don’t know how much arm twisting they can do with their front office and player agents but honestly it should be Angels/Yankees in the AL Championship for five out of the next seven years.
i dont disagree with this at all, but i defer and ask the masses, what can the league force them to do?

in all honesty i dont think MLB was expecting Trout to resign two years out - they were caught flat footed. i do believe they were expecting and hoping he was in NYC or Philly and now have to find a way to react.
Chicat wrote:Mike Trout is going to retire at some point and it will be the greatest marketing miss in sports history if they didn’t build their brand around this once a century talent.
i cant disagree with this either - living in SoCal its maddening to see a team with some many holes and so much inept leadership. the rest of the country barely knows or understands what Trout is doing.

and lets face it, baseball has become a september/october sport, people dont pay attention to it in large part until that time, and as we know full well, Trout isnt playing...

which takes me to my final point on him and Jeter - for all of Trout's success through 8.5 season, he still a big fat zero in series playoff wins and world series titles.

Jeter was a winner (five titles) and no WAR stat can ever trump those championships.
Jeter was absolutely a winner. At a championship level multiple times. But he only won one award for postseason play despite playing in 33(!) postseason series (2000 World Series MVP). Because the Yankees built a team around him. He didn’t have to play out of his mind for them to win.

What can MLB do to make the Angels improve their roster? I honestly don’t know. MLB is not the NBA, but I have to think that when it comes to marketing, nationally televised games, start times, travel, etc that they can go to the Angels brass and say “if you ever want to appear on MLB Network, Fox Saturday, and ESPN Sunday Night Baseball again you will get your fucking shit together.”

And I agree, that Pujols contract is like a yoke around their neck. Maybe that’s where MLB steps in. They promise his agent first crack at a ton of young talent in exchange for Albert re-doing his contract and retiring next year. They talk a few other agents into taking less money for their clients to sign there. They nut-twist the union into not complaining about either of those first two things. And they plan a retirement tour for Albert like what Jeter and Mariano got.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

I think Arte is gun shy from his screw ups and has gone "conservative" with the total payroll.

I do think he trusts Eppler and so far I think that is a good thing. The farm system gets better each year. The glaring need is a front line starter. If Arte does not open the books and go and get Cole or Ryu then I think it will be a few years before they can contend. Pujols (and the ghost of Hamilton) contract(s) are that bad.

I believe they will make a serious run at Starting pitching, otherwise I think they would have been more aggressive at the deadline. Big off-season for Eppler and Angels (and Trout's legacy).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Any word on whether Otani will end up pitching again and whether he’ll be effective?

Never liked the idea of him pitching every fifth day and hitting all the others. Like it even less now that he got injured.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:Any word on whether Otani will end up pitching again and whether he’ll be effective?
yes they are expecting full recover and full effectiveness including velocity completely regained - hes already started moderated bullpen sessions and long toss in the outfield.
Chicat wrote:Never liked the idea of him pitching every fifth day and hitting all the others. Like it even less now that he got injured.
its a slippery slope for sure, especially in the modern era - i dont like what it does to the rest of the team but the Angels are committed to it so we will see.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

interesting article

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/274 ... er-captain" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So they measure WAR, which is wins against replacement but the number they assign to the position player comes from the number of additional hits, runs prevented through his defense and the runs he scores. Am I understanding this correctly.

I look at OPS a lot and Trout is just a tick under 1 which is amazing, both for this season and his career. I think maybe a half dozen or so have done it for a career and they are the all time greats. He is certainly today's Mickey Mantle
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Wins Above Replacement (WAR)

Definition:

WAR measures a player's value in all facets of the game by deciphering how many more wins he's worth than a replacement-level player at his same position (e.g., a Minor League replacement or a readily available fill-in free agent).

For example, if a shortstop and a first baseman offer the same overall production (on offense, defense and the basepaths), the shortstop will have a better WAR because his position sees a lower level of production from replacement-level players.

The formula:

For position players: (The number of runs above average a player is worth in his batting, baserunning and fielding + adjustment for position + adjustment for league + the number of runs provided by a replacement-level player) / runs per win.

Why it's useful:

Obviously, the goal of baseball is to win games, and WAR quantifies each player's value in terms of a specific number of wins. A player with a WAR of 0 is essentially a replaceable piece, while a player with a WAR of about 8 should almost always be an MVP candidate. And because WAR factors in a positional adjustment, it is well suited for comparing players who man different defensive positions
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azcat49 wrote:I look at OPS a lot and Trout is just a tick under 1 which is amazing, both for this season and his career. I think maybe a half dozen or so have done it for a career and they are the all time greats. He is certainly today's Mickey Mantle
OPS, which is OBP+SLG, is one of the main stats followed and used in todays game.

Trout is on pace for a third straight 1.000+ OPS this season in what most likely will result in his third MVP.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Ok thx for that. I have seen his WAR at 75. I took that as say he is a plus 50 in hits, a plus 13 in runs scored and a plus 12 in cutting off runs defensively. I have not seen an additional win number put on position players. I have seen WAR for pitchers and Kershaw is like 7 for the Dodgers. Help me on what Trouts extra win WAR # is. I can’t find it
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Angels' Mike Trout edges Astros' Alex Bregman for AL MVP

Los Angeles Angels center fielder Mike Trout captured his third American League MVP Award on Thursday, edging Houston Astros third baseman Alex Bregman.

Trout received 17 first-place votes from the Baseball Writers' Association of America, with Bregman receiving the other 13. Trout and Bregman were either first or second on all 30 ballots.

Oakland Athletics shortstop Marcus Semien finished third in the voting

The 28-year-old Trout trails only Barry Bonds for most career MVPs. Bonds finished with seven, accruing four of them after the age of 35. Ten others -- Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, Joe DiMaggio, Jimmie Foxx, Mickey Mantle, Stan Musial, Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, Mike Schmidt and, now, Trout -- have three.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/280 ... man-al-mvp
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well deserved. Now get that man into the playoffs.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Our MLB over/unders for 2020: Ronald Acuna, Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton and others

Mike Trout + Anthony Rendon OPS: 2.000

Miller: Oh, this one's too hard, I'll just let the projections do it for me. Let's see, PECOTA says they'll sum to ... 1.994. Well, that's barely any help at all! I would take the over if I knew that this specific thing was what Mike Trout cared about, that all he wanted this season was to have his and Anthony Rendon's OPS add up to at least 2.000. Or 2.100. Or 2.500. You tell me what it is Mike Trout cares about, and I'll take the over. Since he doesn't know or care about this prop bet, I have no choice but to stare at the tables dryly and conclude that, due mostly to Rendon's regression, they'll be a little bit under.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/288 ... ton-others
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Want to see something fun, take a look at Trout hitting a golf ball at top golf in Scottsdale. I am sure you can google it as they were raising monies for charity with other big leaguers. He absolutely crushes the ball and the ooh's and awe's and laughter was amazing. Maybe someone who knows how to inbed that video can post it
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azcat49 wrote:Want to see something fun, take a look at Trout hitting a golf ball at top golf in Scottsdale. I am sure you can google it as they were raising monies for charity with other big leaguers. He absolutely crushes the ball and the ooh's and awe's and laughter was amazing. Maybe someone who knows how to inbed that video can post it
i saw it on Instagram the other day and was hoping someone would embed ... im technologically challenged among other things :lol:
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Haha trout can definitely hit some 350 yard bombs off the tee.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Trout could look at a golf ball with bad intent and it would probably fly 270 on fear alone.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No. 1. Mike Trout, OF, Los Angeles Angels

2019 rank: 1

Did you know? Our No. 1 player for seven straight years despite missing time in each of the past three, Trout nevertheless set a career high in home runs (45). You can't go any higher than this, but if Trout puts together a full season while helping power the Angels back into contention, you could ask yourself if he'll be here for another seven.

ESPN’s #1 player 7 years in a row. Not surprising but he still really is not a household name
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i have been longing for a full season - maybe in his year 28 season baseball and its fans get that full in-his-prime season from Trout, resulting in an elusive 11+ non drug aided WAR everyone has been clamoring for.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:i have been longing for a full season - maybe in his year 28 season baseball and its fans get that full in-his-prime season from Trout, resulting in an elusive 11+ non drug aided WAR everyone has been clamoring for.
You might not get any season this year. His wife is pregnant and he has said he’s unsure if he will play.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: You might not get any season this year. His wife is pregnant and he has said he’s unsure if he will play.
my man, i saw this too - at this point my own personal feeling is im fine with any choice any athlete makes as to their participation or not this season.

and, further, if they are foregoing their pay im not sure anyone is in a position to say otherwise - jmnsho
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This keeps popping up ion my YouTube feed.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:27 pm
holy fuck thats the most insane stat ive ever seen -- holy shit
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i prefer baseball reference to fangraph - players Mike Trout has passed in career WAR since the end of the 2019 season todays date (4/15/21):

Johnny Bench
Lou Whitaker
Reggie Jackson
Frank Thomas
Paul Waner
Jim Thome
Larry Walker
Harry Heilmann
Rafael Palmeiro

Mike Trout is 29years old
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is so sadly true...
97cats

Post by 97cats »

its beyond true and beyond sad...and yet again, the only thing that can stop Mike Trout is Mike Trout. for what feels like the 6th season in a row trout is unlikely to play 150 games.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

That’s the only real knock on the guy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’d take 120 games of Mike Trout over anyone else’s 162.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Mike Trout will not break the 140 game mark for the fifth year in a row - the last time Mike Trout played more than 140 games in a season was 2016.

for arguably the greatest player in a generation, potentially ever, his career at this point is taking more of a Ken Griffey Jr. flight path than Willie Mays.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Since Chi doesn't click on ESPN links.
Right-hander Noah Syndergaard and the Los Angeles Angels have agreed to a one-year, $21 million deal, pending a physical, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

Syndergaard, 29, spent the first seven seasons of his career with the New York Mets, making one All-Star team and displaying perhaps the nastiest array of pitches for a starter in the major leagues. Having pitched only two innings since 2019 because of Tommy John surgery, Syndergaard will join an Angels rotation that was among the worst in the big leagues last season.

The Angels' pursuit of starting pitching this winter was their top priority, with two-way star Shohei Ohtani coming off a season that will end with the American League MVP award and outfielder Mike Trout returning from an injury-plagued 2021.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m real curious what info comes out of the physical (and if he can make 30 starts next year).
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:53 pm I’m real curious what info comes out of the physical (and if he can make 30 starts next year).
im not sure it matters when a walk or base hit is a triple - hard to consistently have quality starts and get wins in the BIGS being that putrid holding runners.

Trout heating up.......
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I thought for sure this thread bump was going to be about Trout’s check swing homer. Dude’s triceps could stop a bullet.