Rules to speed up play

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Rules to speed up play

Post by azgreg »

I like a lot of the rules the Independent Baseball League is implementing to help speed up play.

http://deadspin.com/independent-basebal ... 1610959650

The defensive team will be limited to three "timeouts" per game, in which mound visits or on-field conferences take place with the current pitcher. Pitching changes will not be counted as timeouts, and in the case of extra innings, one additional timeout will be permitted at the start of the 10th inning and every three innings thereafter. Umpires will enforce a strict 45-second time limit on said timeouts. If the umpire's warning is disregarded by the defensive team and play continues to be delayed, the umpire shall declare a "ball" for the batter at the plate. This will limit the number of times play is interrupted by on-field conferences.

Pinch runners will be used for catchers as soon as the catchers reach base. This ensures that catchers are suited up quickly to start the next half-inning.

The number of warm-up pitches for each pitcher will be reduced from eight to six.

When a manager or catcher on the defensive team indicates to the home plate umpire they wish to issue an intentional base on balls, the batter is to be automatically awarded first base without the need for the pitcher to deliver four balls.

Umpires will be directed to enforce Rule 6.02 and Rule 8.04, related to hitters stepping out of the box and pitchers delivering the ball within 12 seconds when the bases are unoccupied.

Umpires will be directed to control the pace of play. The umpires shall adhere to the entire strike zone as defined in Rule 2.00 and observe that definition when calling pitches balls or strikes.
Alieberman

Re: Rules to speed up play

Post by Alieberman »

Cut the season in half
Sage&Silver

Re: Rules to speed up play

Post by Sage&Silver »

azgreg wrote: Pinch runners will be used for catchers as soon as the catchers reach base. This ensures that catchers are suited up quickly to start the next half-inning.
I hate this rule. Now we're taking another of the nine defenders out of the offense, partially at least.

But I really hate this because it is completely unnecessary. If a catcher is on base or at the plate when the third out is called, someone else from the dugout goes out to warm the pitcher up. The catcher really only holds up an inning when this is an equipment problem, and that isn't often.
azgreg wrote: Umpires will be directed to enforce Rule 6.02 and Rule 8.04, related to hitters stepping out of the box and pitchers delivering the ball within 12 seconds when the bases are unoccupied.
THIS!!! I'm all for trying to speed up the game, but just enforce this!

Stop granting Time after EVERY PITCH, and throw batting gloves in with the list of equipment adjustment you can't get Time for.

And then pitchers:
PLEASE if someone tucks his bat between his legs and gets all OCD on his batting gloves, throw the ball for a strike!