2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by Chicat »

Whoa... the Padres are GOING FOR IT.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If I was a Red Sox fan I would be seriously pissed and embarrassed right now.

Also, I'd hate this tweet...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don't get it?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote:Whoa... the Padres are GOING FOR IT.
What a freaking day. San Diego is going crazy over this team and this deadline. Of course, nobody can even go to a freaking game.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:I don't get it?
They deleted it. It was a “reset” meme celebrating that they are tanking and reset their status as far as the luxury tax by trading away anyone who had a pulse. Meanwhile their owner is a multi-billionaire who could have afforded both to put a competitive team on the field and the luxury tax hit that comes with it.

The Yankees purposefully reset their luxury tax status too, but they didn’t celebrate it with a tweet. They also didn’t tank and become the worst team in baseball. Go Sawx! :lol:
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp" target="_blank

Interesting that some of this years rules in the shortened season had been floated for some time. Covid gave the league a chance to try them out. Wonder what you all like and don’t like. I hate the tie breaker rule of starting with a runner on second
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The only rule I like is the DH in the NL.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It was interesting to read the NL owners didn’t accept the DH because it would be a hefty pay roll spot. Here I always thought it was simply because of tradition. Silly me
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

the DH should've been banned decades ago.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

ASUHATER! wrote:the DH should've been banned decades ago.
Agreed. It takes away from the strategy of a game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catintheheat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:the DH should've been banned decades ago.
Agreed. It takes away from the strategy of a game.
Not really. You just have to employ a different strategy.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

With the ITB rule they are using you are seeing the players deficiencies in moving that runner to third with less than one out. They can’t bunt and they can’t hit behind the runners. The DH has made it a different game but I enjoy the small ball part of it
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MLB came up with their playoff bubble and it looks like first round games will be at home parks and then the NLDS will be held at Arlington and Houston and the ALDS will either be at Dodgers Stadium or Petco Park (which is great if you like not seeing home runs or runs scored). The NLCS is at Arlington and the ALCS is at Petco. The World Series will be at Arlington.

Their protocols state that playoff teams must quarantine at a hotel the week before the end of the regular season even if they are playing at home. Which means for a team like the Yankees, if they were to play all the way through Game 7 of the World Series, they will effectively be on the road starting this coming Thursday and lasting all the way through the end of October (longer if there are Covid or weather cancellations). Six straight weeks. Seems remarkably unfair, but I guess it is what it is.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I mean it's unfair to any team not just the Yankees
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I mean it's unfair to any team not just the Yankees
I said "a team like the Yankees". So obviously I'm talking about multiple teams.

If you play the first playoff round at home, you can go home. So it's especially hard on teams in the 5-8 slots in each league.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote:MLB came up with their playoff bubble and it looks like first round games will be at home parks and then the NLDS will be held at Arlington and Houston and the ALDS will either be at Dodgers Stadium or Petco Park (which is great if you like not seeing home runs or runs scored). The NLCS is at Arlington and the ALCS is at Petco. The World Series will be at Arlington.

Their protocols state that playoff teams must quarantine at a hotel the week before the end of the regular season even if they are playing at home. Which means for a team like the Yankees, if they were to play all the way through Game 7 of the World Series, they will effectively be on the road starting this coming Thursday and lasting all the way through the end of October (longer if there are Covid or weather cancellations). Six straight weeks. Seems remarkably unfair, but I guess it is what it is.
Dodgers and Padres are 1st and 3rd in team HRs this season. Petco is 8th in HR/G and Dodger Stadium 14th. It will be interesting to see the start times on the games in San Diego and Los Angeles, because I believe it has played a decent factor in the home run totals at each park. Games starting before the marine layer sets in (6:10 start times and even a few 5:10 as well), has seemingly led to a few more balls flying out of the park each series. Good news for the AL teams.

-Shane Battier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TucsonClip wrote:
Chicat wrote:MLB came up with their playoff bubble and it looks like first round games will be at home parks and then the NLDS will be held at Arlington and Houston and the ALDS will either be at Dodgers Stadium or Petco Park (which is great if you like not seeing home runs or runs scored). The NLCS is at Arlington and the ALCS is at Petco. The World Series will be at Arlington.

Dodgers and Padres are 1st and 3rd in team HRs this season. Petco is 8th in HR/G and Dodger Stadium 14th. It will be interesting to see the start times on the games in San Diego and Los Angeles, because I believe it has played a decent factor in the home run totals at each park. Games starting before the marine layer sets in (6:10 start times and even a few 5:10 as well), has seemingly led to a few more balls flying out of the park each series. Good news for the AL teams.
I'm very curious about start times at Chavez and Petco. Will it be 10pm EST starts or will the teams be dealing with late afternoon shadows?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

This is very random and only marginally related. But, after talking to two different people at MLB.com, I believe it is confirmed. So I get the streaming service for out-of-market games (subject to blackout restrictions.) Fully understood that the D-Backs have territorial rights throughout Arizona, so they have first dibs on broadcasts for ad revenue from eyeballs or subscription fees in terms of blackout provisions. But here's a little known fact, or at least I didn't know it. Apparently, since the San Diego Padres were the geographically closest team to Arizona prior to the D-Backs and it's grandfathered in, or maybe just because they have better lawyers, they along with the D-Backs enjoy blackout provisions in Arizona (or at least Tucson.) I wanted to watch the Dodgers at Padres series, and I was on the phone with those guys trying to get an answer. Evidently, you can get some tier with Fox Sports San Diego. But it's only those two teams. Even the ESPN game yesterday was covered up with some roundtable show from ESPNews. Seems crazy to me.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote:This is very random and only marginally related. But, after talking to two different people at MLB.com, I believe it is confirmed. So I get the streaming service for out-of-market games (subject to blackout restrictions.) Fully understood that the D-Backs have territorial rights throughout Arizona, so they have first dibs on broadcasts for ad revenue from eyeballs or subscription fees in terms of blackout provisions. But here's a little known fact, or at least I didn't know it. Apparently, since the San Diego Padres were the geographically closest team to Arizona prior to the D-Backs and it's grandfathered in, or maybe just because they have better lawyers, they along with the D-Backs enjoy blackout provisions in Arizona (or at least Tucson.) I wanted to watch the Dodgers at Padres series, and I was on the phone with those guys trying to get an answer. Evidently, you can get some tier with Fox Sports San Diego. But it's only those two teams. Even the ESPN game yesterday was covered up with some roundtable show from ESPNews. Seems crazy to me.
Get a vpn and your problem is solved
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Yeah, I'm familiar with that. Unfortunately, MLB.com seems to be, too. I had the experience of what I consider an "audit", where I had an early season game blacked out for no apparent reason. So, I had to call to have them turn it on, which they did. But first, I got about a half-dozen questions about my zip code, area code, etc. to confirm my location. I wouldn't have known that stuff with some random location from a VPN. Also not sure if an account constantly coming in from changing locations would get flagged. So some people use countermeasures; they really seem to want their money.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Interesting and good to know. I am always surprised that companies aren't hip to how people are using their products without paying
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

8 playoff games on today. Crazy
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MLB might have just fucked both the Yankees and the Indians. They delayed the start of the game by almost an hour even though it wasn’t raining in Cleveland. Then they start the game even though the radar showed rain was 15 minutes away. They play the top of the 1st and a little of the bottom of the inning and they have to put the tarp on the field because it’s fucking pouring. If it continues, both teams might have blown their starters for no fucking reason. Instead of getting 4 innings in, they potentially fucked both teams over.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

My heart, my eyes, my neighbors disgust. Fuck them all. GO PADRES.

What a fucking game. Tatis and Machado go back to back, first Padres in the playoffs since Gwynn and Vaughn in the 98 World Series.

Tatis and Myers each hit 2 home runs in a playoff game. First time teammates have done so since Ruth and Gehrig.

-Shane Battier
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Kershaw's line from last night - 8IP, 3H, 1BB, 13k's.
Impressive.

Dodger's discard Brewers and await winner of Cards-Padres series....in Texas.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What a catch by Margot!

Go Rays!
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Tampa what are you doing??
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Peace out Astros
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck the Asterisks. I’m glad they lost this way. To have hope snatched from them like this was delicious.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Will definitely be cheering for the Rays. This is only their second World Series. I don't hate the Dodgers they just win too much. The only team I hate are the Astericks.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Woot woot! Go Rays!
-JB
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Kevin Cash should have been given the Series MVP for the Dodgers.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UofAlum05 wrote:Kevin Cash should have been given the Series MVP for the Dodgers.
The joke going around is Cash pulled a Roberts...

The only thing bugging me is how the Turner Covid-19 situation was handled. If the story is true MLB notified the Dodgers in the 7th inning of potential clinching game? Seems weird from a timing standpoint.

Also, while I was happy for the Dodgers and especially JT who has been the cornerstone of the team along with Kershaw, the optics of him going out onto the field and celebrating both with and without his mask on didn't look good. I get the disappointment and his teammates insisting he be a part of it but it didn't look good.

Could you imagine if the Rays came back and won the game they might have had to delay game 7 by a week which would have been crazy.

Or if you want to go big time conspiracy theory - if MLB knew way before the start of Game 6 that he was confirmed positive and MLB held back the info because they didn't want to stop/cancel the WS.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

EastCoastCat wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:Kevin Cash should have been given the Series MVP for the Dodgers.
The joke going around is Cash pulled a Roberts...

The only thing bugging me is how the Turner Covid-19 situation was handled. If the story is true MLB notified the Dodgers in the 7th inning of potential clinching game? Seems weird from a timing standpoint.

Also, while I was happy for the Dodgers and especially JT who has been the cornerstone of the team along with Kershaw, the optics of him going out onto the field and celebrating both with and without his mask on didn't look good. I get the disappointment and his teammates insisting he be a part of it but it didn't look good.

Could you imagine if the Rays came back and won the game they might have had to delay game 7 by a week which would have been crazy.

Or if you want to go big time conspiracy theory - if MLB knew way before the start of Game 6 that he was confirmed positive and MLB held back the info because they didn't want to stop/cancel the WS.
Yeah in the final innings last night all I could think about was that I was kind of bummed that all people were going to be talking about was Kevin Cash's perplexing move instead of the Dodgers winning. Then I saw JT pull his mask off celebrating and I realized no one would be talking about Kevin Cash today.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB