Today Is Roberto Clemente Day

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCatInTheHat

Today Is Roberto Clemente Day

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Clemente had a long and storied major league career, but on the field, he's probably best remembered for the 1971 World Series over the Orioles. It was his second World Series ring, after the 1960 Bill Mazeroski 9th inning homer over the Yankees. In the 1971 Fall Classic, At age 37, he hit .414, with 2 homers, 2 doubles, a triple, and 12 hits. He also had opportunities to showcase that strong arm of his from deep right field, notably gunning Merv Rettenmund out at third. He died only months after his great triumph, in a plane crash into the ocean while flying humanitarian aid to Nicaragua. The Roberto Clemente award goes to the MLB player each year who fans and media feel "best exemplifies the game of baseball, sportsmanship, community involvement and the individual's contribution to his team."
UAEebs86

Re: Today Is Roberto Clemente Day

Post by UAEebs86 »

Love Roberto Clemente and taught my half-Hispanic son all about him. He's his all-time favorite player now.

Actually found a Pirates Clemente T-shirt at Just Sports one year at Park Place Mall for him for Christmas.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That was an extremely sad day when he died in the plane crash. He was really well liked, and a big fan favorite.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

His number should be retired across all of baseball.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote:Clemente had a long and storied major league career, but on the field, he's probably best remembered for the 1971 World Series over the Orioles. It was his second World Series ring, after the 1960 Bill Mazeroski 9th inning homer over the Yankees. In the 1971 Fall Classic, At age 37, he hit .414, with 2 homers, 2 doubles, a triple, and 12 hits. He also had opportunities to showcase that strong arm of his from deep right field, notably gunning Merv Rettenmund out at third. He died only months after his great triumph, in a plane crash into the ocean while flying humanitarian aid to Nicaragua. The Roberto Clemente award goes to the MLB player each year who fans and media feel "best exemplifies the game of baseball, sportsmanship, community involvement and the individual's contribution to his team."
This is awkward.

I saw a CatintheHat at a Washington school at one time but never gravitated here. I guess it's something I should get used to or change my name to Cith. I've been using CatintheHeat in UA forums for over 20 years.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Frankly, I don't see an Issue, and it didn't register until you brought it up. I've used the name off and on at various forums through a similar number of years (none having to do with the state of Washington or D.C. to my memory.) I doubt anyone will confuse the Wilbur logo for a Premier League banner, and one starts with T, the other with C, etc. But, if one of the moderators thinks it's a problem, I'm sure it can be worked out.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote:Frankly, I don't see an Issue, and it didn't register until you brought it up. I've used the name off and on at various forums through a similar number of years (none having to do with the state of Washington or D.C. to my memory.) I doubt anyone will confuse the Wilbur logo for a Premier League banner, and one starts with T, the other with C, etc. But, if one of the moderators thinks it's a problem, I'm sure it can be worked out.
I'm fine with it. Now back to Roberto Clemente, who wasn't just a great hitter, he was a wonderful human being too.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

First MLB game I ever saw was the Pirates with Clemente in right field at Forbes Field. Will never forget it. He was really special in so many ways.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Wow...what was Forbes Field like? In terms of very old or defunct stadia, I've seen games in Candlestick, Wrigley, the old Comiskey, County Stadium in Milwaukee, and (I know it doesn't count) ... driven by "the mistake by the lake" in Cleveland, as well as Fenway coming out of the Ted Williams Tunnel a number of times. But Forbes Field really sounds like a time machine experience.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Forbes was old. It was different. It smelled like Iron City beer. The outfield wall was made up of different ad boards angled around the stadium so balls hit off them came off at strange angles - especially in the corners. You would see a ball heading for the wall and Clemente would be running away from the direction of the ball; but, invariably it would bounce directly to him. Depending where you were sitting you could lose sight of Roberto if a ball were hit deep in the right field corner but more than once people might not see Roberto but they did see a ball come smoking out of the corner and the runner would be thrown out at third - he was really that good. Made me a Pirate fan for life.

Did you ever hear about Elroy Face stealing signs while hiding in the scoreboard?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Those sound like really cool memories. Mine include:

Wrigley: The studio-sized WGN TV cameras suspended from the overhang, and the cameramen spinning the flywheels furiously to spin them around, then the red light, and the crowd was "on the air" and went nuts (except for the people playing hooky, who dove for cover.)

Old Comisky: Lots of souvenirs and give-aways, and they had a hydraulic arm that came up out of the ground with a ball for each pitch of batting practice.

County Stadium: It was near both a couple of breweries and a chocolate factory, so you got the smells of both mixed together, which was pretty good.

Candlestick: Paper wrappers blowing all over the place for day games, and cold fog rolling in from the outfield at night.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

KaibabKat wrote:Did you ever hear about Elroy Face stealing signs while hiding in the scoreboard?
Sorry...I didn't notice this previously for some reason. I did not remember hearing about Face in the scoreboard, so I Googled it, and I found this:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe ... 2002260206" target="_blank