Game 5, vs Arizona State (2020)

In Game Discussions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CopaCat

Re: Game 5, vs Arizona State (2020)

Post by CopaCat »

Gunnell is a terrible read option QB, absolutely atrocious. Rarely ever keeps. It's almost kind of like.....why are we running it?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

we should run up the middle more, we're really good at it
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:16 pm Gunnell is a terrible read option QB, absolutely atrocious. Rarely ever keeps. It's almost kind of like.....why are we running it?
i dont think he's a qb who wants to run it
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:14 pm
ASUHATER! wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:13 pm will we lose by 80?
Guess it depends on when assu puts in the 3rd stringers
If I was ASU I would leave the starters in, and win 100-0.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I'm having flashbacks of the 1996 game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:14 pm
CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:04 pm People saying we need to wait due to the buyout might need to wake up and realize our Football Program might be scorched earth if we wait until Dec 2021. Would probably lose more Revenue if we wait and the program swirls even further into the shitter. Not to mention maybe we have a shot of getting some added Booster support by making a move sooner rather than settling for the status quo.
All relevant points but at the end of the day the next coach would still inherit the worst group of PAC12 recruits over the past 5 years.

We could have Nick Saban as the next head coach and we would still get stomped next year.......and probably the next. And we would still have fans screaming for the offensive coordinator to be fired.........and Chief would still be whining for Doyle to be the starting QB.

UA fans will have to be patient regardless of who is hired next.......which as a fanbase we don't seem to have.

It will take at least 3 decent recruiting years to even begin to crawl out of the hole we are in.
Wait, you think that our fan base doesn’t have patience??

That’s hilarious. All we’ve had is patience. We’ve been patiently waiting for a consistent winner for 20+ goddamn years.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Sumlin is creating a Dynasty.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:04 pm People saying we need to wait due to the buyout might need to wake up and realize our Football Program might be scorched earth if we wait until Dec 2021. Would probably lose more Revenue if we wait and the program swirls even further into the shitter. Not to mention maybe we have a shot of getting some added Booster support by making a move sooner rather than settling for the status quo.
All relevant points but at the end of the day the next coach would still inherit the worst group of PAC12 recruits over the past 5 years.

We could have Nick Saban as the next head coach and we would still get stomped next year.......and probably the next. And we would still have fans screaming for the offensive coordinator to be fired.........and Chief would still be whining for Doyle to be the starting QB.

UA fans will have to be patient regardless of who is hired next.......which as a fanbase we don't seem to have.

It will take at least 3 decent recruiting years to even begin to crawl out of the hole we are in.

I agree on the talent level thing, it's terrible. So why do we want to wait another year? Do we want to see if we can completely break the program and become Oregon State or Rutgers? Or Colorado after Dan Hawkins? Teams that floundered for years due to shit coaches. The problem with waiting is Sumlin is essentially Mackovic with even worse recruiting. That is not a recipe for sitting on your hands.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NCAA football needs a mercy rule. Let Sumlin throw in the towel, and everyone goes home.

Last edited by Merkin on Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

42 to zip. These damn refs keep fucking us!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I just can't take it anymore
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:16 pm
CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:16 pm Gunnell is a terrible read option QB, absolutely atrocious. Rarely ever keeps. It's almost kind of like.....why are we running it?
Which is why Mazzone is an idiot.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:24 pm

I agree on the talent level thing, it's terrible. So why do we want to wait another year? Do we want to see if we can completely break the program and become Oregon State or Rutgers? Or Colorado after Dan Hawkins? Teams that floundered for years due to shit coaches. The problem with waiting is Sumlin is essentially Mackovic with even worse recruiting. That is not a recipe for sitting on your hands.
We are a worse program than those you mentioned.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:21 pm

That’s hilarious. All we’ve had is patience. We’ve been patiently waiting for a consistent winner for 20+ goddamn years.
You have a really bad memory.

From 2008 to 2015 we went to 7 bowl games in 8 years. For the UA, historically speaking, thats pretty good
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

This is fun. Was on the phone trying to sell my car and when I got back we were down 28. 😂

Two options: Fire Sumlin tomorrow or shutter the program.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:24 pm NCAA football needs a mercy rule. Let Sumlin throw in the towel, and everyone goes home.

They do need a mercy rule, but you'll never see them put one in.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:26 pm

From 2008 to 2015 we went to 7 bowl games in 8 years. For the UA, historically speaking, thats pretty good

Half the teams go to bowl games. Whoopee, we were better than bad.

Were any of those the Rose Bowl?

Me and my terrible memory would love to know.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

well that was an easy scoring drive.

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:26 pm
PieceOfMeat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:16 pm
Which is why Mazzone is an idiot.
You won't hear an argument from me there. I don't think much of mazzone

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:28 pm
Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:24 pm NCAA football needs a mercy rule. Let Sumlin throw in the towel, and everyone goes home.

They do need a mercy rule, but you'll never see them put one in.
Do the high school running clock thing.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bet Chief is loving this.
dmjcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:26 pm From 2008 to 2015 we went to 7 bowl games in 8 years. For the UA, historically speaking, thats pretty good
In all fairness, in today's world any 6-6 team gets to a bowl game with once FCS team allowed per season.

That wasn't available in Larry Smith's world as coach and any coach before that.

When I was a kid, growing up in Michigan, you only had one bowl game for the Big 10, the Rose Bowl. Either win the Big 10, or go home.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:31 pm
dmjcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:26 pm From 2008 to 2015 we went to 7 bowl games in 8 years. For the UA, historically speaking, thats pretty good
In all fairness, in today's world any 6-6 team gets to a bowl game with once FCS team allowed per season.

That wasn't available in Larry Smith's world as coach and any coach before that.

When I was a kid, growing up in Michigan, you only had one bowl game for the Big 10, the Rose Bowl. Either win the Big 10, or go home.
Larry Smith and Tomey would've gone to 16 or 17 bowls in 21 years if modern day rules and bowl amounts applied to 1980-2000
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
tucsonsean

Post by tucsonsean »

Fire Sumlin and Heeke. Heeke should not be responsible for the next UA football hire. I also hope the article was correct and that Sumlin is handed his papers today or tomorrow. Good for him $14M for nothing.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:29 pm

If the Rose Bowl is your yardstick then the UA has NEVER had a successful program.......You can throw your "20+ goddam years" out the window. More like 100+ years.

The UA sits in a state with little football talent, has no shoe company magnate to bankroll it, and has very little heritage.

Going to 7 bowl games in 8 years will always be a successful stretch for the UA. Anyone how thinks otherwise knows squat about college football and the UA.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:26 pm
CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:24 pm

We are a worse program than those you mentioned.
Yeah we are now, but we're not broke. We wait another year, no coach with any mettle will want to take over that. Also we do still have some talent. We won't have any if we let Sumlin stick around another year. We are already losing recruits and have several opt outs and transfers. The program cannot take another year of Sumlin.
tucsonsean

Post by tucsonsean »

Also what is the best Sumlin-era recruit?
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

*sigh* x infinity
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Hey, we're not being blanked at half time. that's something

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Cheer up. ASU isn't bionic. Their offense will wear them down.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Down 42-7 at half time.

all good, we've got them right where we want them!

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Can Heeke get the money together?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:45 pm Down 42-7 at half time.

all good, we've got them right where we want them!
You are either

a) The most optimistic UA football fan in history

or

b) Stinking drunk
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:36 pm

If the Rose Bowl is your yardstick then the UA has NEVER had a successful program.......You can throw your "20+ goddam years" out the window. More like 100+ years.

The UA sits in a state with little football talent, has no shoe company magnate to bankroll it, and has very little heritage.

Going to 7 bowl games in 8 years will always be a successful stretch for the UA. Anyone how thinks otherwise knows squat about college football and the UA.
Then why has WSU been much more successful than the UA, with worst facilities in the PAC along with very little fan support? Mike Price put two Wazzu teams into the Rose Bowl, with 5 QBs put into the NFL. The UA only has had one QB take a snap in the NFL during the entire PAC era. Not even bringing up the Mike Leach era.
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:26 pmYou have a really bad memory.

Ooh, gotta love the “you know nothing about football!” smack.

Like I said, half of teams go to bowls.

And in that stretch of 7 of 8 years with bowl games two of those coaches were fired because they could not provide CONSISTENT winning.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

tucsonsean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:41 pm Also what is the best Sumlin-era recruit?

Great question...........many are to young or miscoached to even judge. Really sad that there isn't an obvious answer. Gunnell and Curry were supposed to be good, but both have done little. Though I would blame some of that on poor coaching.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:47 pm
tucsonsean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:41 pm Also what is the best Sumlin-era recruit?

Great question...........many are to young or miscoached to even judge. Really sad that there isn't an obvious answer. Gunnell and Curry were supposed to be good, but both have done little. Though I would blame some of that on poor coaching.
I imagine Gunnell will be a huge success at his next school. Being benched behind a true freshman does not bode well for your future.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:47 pm

Then why has WSU been much more successful than the UA, with worst facilities in the PAC along with very little fan support? Mike Price put two Wazzu teams into the Rose Bowl, with 5 QBs put into the NFL. The UA only has had one QB take a snap in the NFL during the entire PAC era. Not even bringing up the Mike Leach era.
I think a WSU type run is probably the best the UA can hope for...........but they have not been consistent winners. They have a few decent years followed by a lot of bad ones.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This has to be the worst Football game I've ever seen in my life. Haven't looked through the thread but I'm thinking this has to be the worst Territorial Cup game ever.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:47 pm

And in that stretch of 7 of 8 years with bowl games two of those coaches were fired because they could not provide CONSISTENT winning.
If your definition of a "Consistent Winner" is winning records every year with Rose bowls then you are going to be waiting for a LONG, LONG time. Again, we sit in a state with little talent, we do not have an alumni who owns Nike, and we have very little heritage. A WSU type 1-2 year run with a Rose Bowl along the way is the best this program is likely ever going to do.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Should we be staring Doyle in the second half? Just because...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

MountainCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:59 pm Should we be staring Doyle in the second half? Just because...
Nah, I'd rather start Joiner at QB just to watch Chief evolve to a higher level of insanity :lol: :lol: :lol:
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:49 pm
CopaCat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:47 pm

I imagine Gunnell will be a huge success at his next school. Being benched behind a true freshman does not bode well for your future.

Seems about right.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

If that’s the case then put in Rodreguez.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:56 pm

If your definition of a "Consistent Winner" is winning records every year with Rose bowls then you are going to be waiting for a LONG, LONG time. Again, we sit in a state with little talent, we do not have an alumni who owns Nike, and we have very little heritage. A WSU type 1-2 year run with a Rose Bowl along the way is the best this program is likely ever going to do.
I would like to compete for a Rose Bowl some day and win consistently enough to have the recruits to do that.

But I don’t know anything about football so....
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:04 pm
dmjcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:56 pm

I would like to compete for a Rose Bowl some day and win consistently enough to have the recruits to do that.

But I don’t know anything about football so I’m not even sure why you’re still responding to my posts.
"But I don’t know anything about football so I’m not even sure why you’re still responding to my posts"

Best point you have made all night! :lol:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

I think Arizona Football can have decent success with the right coaching staff. Tucson is not Corvalis or Pullman. It has great weather. Arizona is a decent enough University in other areas. The Stadium is probably the only major downside of the program. We should be able to recruit on par with most Pac 12 Programs not named USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington. The only reason Oregon is even on there is Phil Knight and recent success, otherwise Oregon was nothing before Phil Knight. What UofA needs is a big booster like that. Wish Moreno had an interest in College Athletics instead of owning a Pro Baseball team.

To me this idea that Arizona Football is some sort of downtrodden pile of shit is just not true. It needs money and a vision. Unfortunately Heeke has been a disaster for both of those things.
michcat

Post by michcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:26 pm This is fun. Was on the phone trying to sell my car and when I got back we were down 28. 😂

Two options: Fire Sumlin tomorrow or shutter the program.

can we do both
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:52 pm I think a WSU type run is probably the best the UA can hope for...........but they have not been consistent winners. They have a few decent years followed by a lot of bad ones.
35 years after graduation, I would gladly accept that! Rose Bowl contenders, with some odd years bottom of the PAC. Which bottom of the PAC seems to be the UA destiny for the next 3-4 years.