Game 1, vs BYU (2021)

In Game Discussions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Game 1, vs BYU (2021)

Post by scumdevils86 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:29 pm I'm fucking tired of waiting for us to be better in the future.

We suck as usual.
Either you're new to AZ football or need to readjust your life priorities
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

MountainCat wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:30 pm I like Cruz. Just eliminate the sacks.

35 of 46 for 336 yards 1 TD 1 int 4 sacks

On another note. I like are kicker too. He kicks a long and straight ball. Missed by a foot to the right on both kicks. A minor adjustment. He will win a game this year on his foot alone. PS - great onside kick from him - we almost had it.
I like Plummer better. Our O line is not good and Plummer is more mobile.

And I'm surprised that Drake Anderson is apparently our second best back. I'm thinking some of our other dudes would've done better
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

Cruz is obviously our qb
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

Cruz is obviously our qb
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:31 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:29 pm I'm fucking tired of waiting for us to be better in the future.

We suck as usual.
Fan since 81 so I guess it's the latter.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

MountainCat wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:30 pm I like Cruz. Just eliminate the sacks.

On another note. I like are kicker too. He kicks a long and straight ball. Missed by a foot to the right on both kicks. A minor adjustment. He will win a game this year on his foot alone. PS - great onside kick from him - we almost had it.
Loved Cruz. Made some slow reads but that is expected in a guy making his 1st College start. Also got some good pressure at times. When having time or rolling out he was able to be fairly accurate. Completed mostly short passes, but showed he can gun it down the field a few times. I think he will be fine as more experience will lead to faster reads. Has the arm for sure.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:36 pm
scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:31 pm

We suck as usual.
Fan since 81 so I guess it's the latter.
Happy 40th. This year is my 20th
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:34 pm

I like Plummer better. Our O line is not good and Plummer is more mobile.

And I'm surprised that Drake Anderson is apparently our second best back. I'm thinking some of our other dudes would've done better
Disagree entirely. I saw Plummer last year and was never impressed with his accuracy. Had some wheels but that was it. I was actually kind of upset Fisch went to him early. Although I feel he did it just to light a bit of fire under Cruz. Seemed to work because Cruz played way better after that.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Cruz needs to recognize those blitzes
Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

Few things.

Hope Keenan is OK long term. Pretty sure I saw on his IG that he just became a father or his lady is expecting. I always pay attention to the San Diego prospects. Always, always play under control and with your head up. I learned that in 4th grade.

I watched some old games this summer- Mackovic era, Tomey era, some RR and Stoops games as well. Gunner throws a better ball than all but about 2 or 3 guys we've ever had. Some of you old heads are soldiers for dealing with the Costa experiment or non leap at the lake vintage Ortege Jenkins. Gosh those offenses were bad. QBs have improved across the sport in a major way the past 20odd years. Kid had 1 turnover and ate the ball too much in the first game hes played in front of fans.

I dig what I saw.

Wiley and Anderson are a nice combo. Both capable pass catchers and both guys who get skinny and finish runs.

I'd like to get more creative getting Tavian the ball. I am a bit out of the loop- what is Joiners timeline?

Playcalling peeved me. The middle of the field was wide open all night. Wolma and 88 should've EATEN. A lot of drives seemed to stall with slow developing, multi-read passes when a run or quick TE dump was there for the taking.

Corner depth will cost us a game. Its not the kids fault, its roster turnover and being year one after two really shit organizations wore our colors. After Isaiah and Chris we just don't have guys who can play at this level.

QB in basically his first ever game playing against a bunch of 27 year old fathers and husbands on the opposing D Line. Cruz will be fine, Havrisik will get better. What makes him frustrating is that his misses are never shanks and hes got NFL distance.

Defense stood tall. Rich Rod/Sumlin clubs would've folded after the INT and lost 31-13 or worse.

Proud of these kids. Losing games like this is agony because there are chances. This won't be a team that gets boatraced, not in this league.

-No more BYU. Nothing to be gained by playing that, backwater, dirty playing, non-BCS outfit.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cruz just needs more coaching in this system. He has been a program Qb all his career. Here is needs to scan, read and check down.

Plummer is just not accurate enough. This offense takes precise passing and quick decision making.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Havrisick needs to just be kick off and long field goals. Surely the other guy, or a fan pulled from the stands could make these. Other than that the problems come down to 2 unsurprising things O-line and QB play. Whoever can't see hopeful improvement, needs to de-invest emotionally.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Fendicent4ever wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:49 pm Few things.

Hope Keenan is OK long term. Pretty sure I saw on his IG that he just became a father or his lady is expecting. I always pay attention to the San Diego prospects. Always, always play under control and with your head up. I learned that in 4th grade.

I watched some old games this summer- Mackovic era, Tomey era, some RR and Stoops games as well. Gunner throws a better ball than all but about 2 or 3 guys we've ever had. Some of you old heads are soldiers for dealing with the Costa experiment or non leap at the lake vintage Ortege Jenkins. Gosh those offenses were bad. QBs have improved across the sport in a major way the past 20odd years. Kid had 1 turnover and ate the ball too much in the first game hes played in front of fans.

I dig what I saw.

Wiley and Anderson are a nice combo. Both capable pass catchers and both guys who get skinny and finish runs.

I'd like to get more creative getting Tavian the ball. I am a bit out of the loop- what is Joiners timeline?

Playcalling peeved me. The middle of the field was wide open all night. Wolma and 88 should've EATEN. A lot of drives seemed to stall with slow developing, multi-read passes when a run or quick TE dump was there for the taking.

Corner depth will cost us a game. Its not the kids fault, its roster turnover and being year one after two really shit organizations wore our colors. After Isaiah and Chris we just don't have guys who can play at this level.

QB in basically his first ever game playing against a bunch of 27 year old fathers and husbands on the opposing D Line. Cruz will be fine, Havrisik will get better. What makes him frustrating is that his misses are never shanks and hes got NFL distance.

Defense stood tall. Rich Rod/Sumlin clubs would've folded after the INT and lost 31-13 or worse.

Proud of these kids. Losing games like this is agony because there are chances. This won't be a team that gets boatraced, not in this league.

-No more BYU. Nothing to be gained by playing that, backwater, dirty playing, non-BCS outfit.
Good shit
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Ok all you wanna be gamblers. I do not know what the line will be next week but unless Vegas adjusts drastically I think we might be a 3 point favorite. That would be the second biggest lock of the year following this game

Make your money while you can because the line will catch up.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:15 am OZk all you wanna be gamblers. I do not know what the line will be next week but unless Vegas adjusts drastically I think we might be a 3 point favorite. That would be the second biggest lock of the year following this game

Make your money while you can because the line will catch up
I learned a long time ago not to bet on Arizona Football.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Some bright spots though. UA led in all of these, although only one stat counts obviously.

Time of possession
First downs
Passing yards
Total plays
4th downs
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My grades (from what was a night filled with a lot of substances)…

Coaching B: Some plays were head scratching. Some adjustments needed to be made that weren’t. But all in all a much better performance from the staff than I was expecting. It certainly didn’t seem like it was Jedd Lasso’s first moment in the spotlight. Team was well disciplined with very few penalties called on us.

Quarterbacks C: Too many sacks and that 4th quarter interception was really bad, but Cruz made some good plays and kept his head up. Would like to see him talking more to his linemen and WRs about what he’s seeing and for gods sake hit a check down in the middle of the field instead of outlets five yards behind the line of scrimmage.

OLine C- : Way too many holes right up the gut. Gotta clean that shit up and let plays develop down the field. But no major penalties that I remember so that’s something to build on.

RBs B : Was expecting to see more guys play last night so not sure what’s going on there. Hit the holes that were available, unfortunately those weren’t there on every play. Thought they did well in the pass game too.

WRs/TEs C- : Did not get separation from their defenders but a lot of really good plays were made. We need Joiner back.

Special Teams Bleh: I don’t really want to talk about it although the punt to pin them in the fourth was great.

DLine C+ : Had some issues when BYU ran wide but put consistent pressure on the QB. I think Jalen Harris should stand up as opposed to being in a three point stance. He looked slow out of the block setting the edge when they ran to his side.

LBs B: Solid all around play. Need to get their arms up in those passing lanes when they are blitzing and the QB checks down.

DBs C+ : I can’t fault them too much since we seemed to be playing a soft zone during our blitz packages and the 30 year old BYU receivers settled into the empty spots for bigger gains. But they clamped down and only let up a few big plays. Good tackling and run support. Definitely will improve as the scheme takes advantage of their strengths.

Overall C+

Lots to improve on but a lot is already world’s better than last year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

C+ is fair. Considering last year was basically an Incomplete for giving up early on and not even attempting the work.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I thought special teams apart from the 2 missed FG’s was light years better than the past few years. No shanked punts or giving up long returns.

I also think having only 4 penalties for 19 years is an A+ for a new team and new staff.

Much better discipline overall for sure.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

talent is the issue really. Until that improves we will be bad team that struggles to win more than a couple games a year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Ahhh Arizona football, where the longest active losing streak in the nation and ongoing losses are viewed as progress.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I mean losing is never good, but losing 24-16 is better than losing 70-7
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:42 am
I also think having only 4 penalties for 19 years is an A+ for a new team and new staff.
It does feel like AZ football has been penalized for the last 19 years....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:59 am I mean losing is never good, but losing 24-16 is better than losing 70-7

Exactly, they never gave up like a Sumlin team would. That's huge progress.

Same with Gunnell, glad he is gone.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So Gunnel did not win the starting job at Memphis. Sumdick must have promised him a starting gig snd that’s why he left.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:19 am So Gunnel did not win the starting job at Memphis.
He didn't even dress for the game.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:03 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:42 am
It does feel like AZ football has been penalized for the last 19 years....
Either a spell check error or a Freudian slip. Lol. Meant 19 yards of course.

:)
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azgreg wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:21 am
azcat49 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:19 am So Gunnel did not win the starting job at Memphis.
He didn't even dress for the game.
I checked The Google Machine, he’s injured. Be back in a week or 2.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Did Doyle play? :lol:

Wherever the hell he is. William & Mary?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well wonder if he will start? Doyle is back in the transfer portal.
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nope, and they got smoked anyway, 43-0.

https://www.google.com/search?q=william ... ch;dt;fp;1;;
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:57 am Ahhh Arizona football, where the longest active losing streak in the nation and ongoing losses are viewed as progress.
Yes, Arizona Football.

Were you thinking this was a site for a different team?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:57 am Ahhh Arizona football, where the longest active losing streak in the nation and ongoing losses are viewed as progress.
But you thought we were going yo get steam rolled? I hope you saw some positives. Teams not only need to learn how not to lose but also how to win. Did good on the former but really struggled with the latter
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:37 pm
But you thought we were going yo get steam rolled? I hope you saw some positives. Teams not only need to learn how not to lose but also how to win. Did good on the former but really struggled with the latter
Glad I was wrong but holy shit it's tiring being such a piss poor program.

Absolutely saw some positives and I'm on board with Fisch. Just frustrated that year after year we have to say, "well it seems the future looks good."

Fuck.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yea I get that but this staff seems to have a load of buy in and a plan. The conference based up a few teams play yesterday affords hope for maybe 4 or 5 or even 6 total wins. Defense was loads better and Cruz is really just a freshman so IF he improves, watch out
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Two separate things IMO:

1. Being a piss-poor program for so long

2. Having basically zero positives under Sumlin

Just getting back to 1 would be a huge improvement. And it looks like we did it!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The glory years for me were the Larry Smith years, when I started as a freshman in 1981. Smith never had a losing season after I enrolled, and we were on the road to the Rose Bowl before USC came a knockin'.

Other than a couple of good Tomey years, and the RichRod year, it's really been a piss poor program.

How many FBS and FCS teams have never won a sole conference championship since the 1940's?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's really colored my lack of enthusiasm for football generally. It would be like going to ASU and being really into basketball.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:41 pm It's really colored my lack of enthusiasm for football generally. It would be like going to ASU and being really into basketball.
No Final Fours, ever. No PAC conference championships, ever.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

College football was my favorite sport. Grew up in the Phoenix area, the two schools being taken by the PAC-10 was a game changer. My dad's love for the Rose Bowl parade and game (he grew up in Big 10 country) made me excited for first ASU, then transferring that desire over to UofA when I enrolled, to make a Rose Bowl.

Well here I am on the middle of the back 9 of life, and I doubt my biggest dream in sports will ever be achieved in my lifetime. My dad passed before his beloved Cubs won the World Series and I suspect my fate will be the same.

Hell tackle football might not even be around in another 10-15 years.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion