Game 5, vs Colorado (2022)

In Game Discussions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: Game 5, vs Colorado (2022)

Post by pc in NM »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:31 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:28 pm
pc in NM wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:24 pm I’ll never forget the 1982 game vs ASucks - 28-18 and denied them a Rose Bowl!!! Tunnicliffe threw a short pass that went for 92 yards (and threw for another long TD).

Great nite at the stadium; it was a “hard ticket” that was well worth it, and a great celebration afterwards at The Shanty!!!
Jealous. My freshman year - had season tickets but went to LA for family Thanksgiving.

Wasn't on TV (the struggle was real) but LA radio carried the game because if we won UCLA went to the Rose Bowl. What a glorious victory that started the streak! (9 years 8-0-1)
Ha. I did the same and listened to the game on radio. ASSU was known for its vaunted blitz but Smith game planned perfectly with quick slants. The big one was I think to Brian Brennan and didn’t Vance Johnson- our 160lb running back - break off a big one too?

Loved knocking them out of the Rose Bowl as they all came down assuming they were going to wax us.
I sat among ASU Fans for the game (as I said, tickets wer hard to come by!). Pre-game they all we circulating roses, and already celebrating their upcoming trip!!!

The schadenfreude was even tastier because of that!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:33 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:31 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:28 pm
pc in NM wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:24 pm I’ll never forget the 1982 game vs ASucks - 28-18 and denied them a Rose Bowl!!! Tunnicliffe threw a short pass that went for 92 yards (and threw for another long TD).

Great nite at the stadium; it was a “hard ticket” that was well worth it, and a great celebration afterwards at The Shanty!!!
Jealous. My freshman year - had season tickets but went to LA for family Thanksgiving.

Wasn't on TV (the struggle was real) but LA radio carried the game because if we won UCLA went to the Rose Bowl. What a glorious victory that started the streak! (9 years 8-0-1)
Ha. I did the same and listened to the game on radio. ASSU was known for its vaunted blitz but Smith game planned perfectly with quick slants. The big one was I think to Brian Brennan and didn’t Vance Johnson- our 160lb running back - break off a big one too?

Loved knocking them out of the Rose Bowl as they all came down assuming they were going to wax us.

One of the long TD passes (short pass, long run) was Brian Holland, a RB. Later on his family (he was from Philly) opened a cheesesteak place on Park across from Manzanita-Mohave - it was really good!

The other long pass was to Brad Anderson.

Some pics and video here:

http://allsportstucson.com/2017/08/26/n ... he-streak/
Thanks for the corrections. I knew it was a Brian or a name starting with B. Getting too old Lol.

Highlights bring back some cool memories - The old field. The huge shoulder pads. Ruining the scummies season.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Big Joe Drake and that Defense. Had two safeties in that game
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Yeah, but...

... Fuck Larry Smith!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman