Game 17, vs Oregon State (2017-2018)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

qwertyus

Re: Game 17, vs Oregon State (2017-2018)

Post by qwertyus »

zonagrad wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Put a fork in the season.
Sean Miller has had 9 years to figure out effective offensive sets against a zone. And yet here we are, getting fucking punked by Oregon State. At home. With the best player in CBB.
It's not the sets. It's execution. PJC is actually playing a pretty good game. But this game just shows how limited he is. He can't get in the paint and create. And Trier & Alkins can't or won't penetrate the gaps under control. This zone is nothing special. Look at the wide open misses that Alkins has had. Tons of opportunities. Maddening.
We haven't gotten open looks every time, because it's just screen after screen, and dribble handoffs. Nothing happening. Over and over. It hasn't been a well-coached offensive game, but thankfully, defense has been better.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Ristic is so soft. Dude is 7' and couldn't throw that one down. FOH
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

TatetheGreat wrote:Ristic is so soft. Dude is 7' and couldn't throw that one down. FOH
He's a terrible dunker. IDK why.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Captain Obvious wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Show those cheerleaders again please :-)
And Oregon's will look even better. At least they'll be something good to look at at McKale. It surely isn't the basketball team.

The Oregon cheer squad needs to take the eyes off those awful Duck uniforms.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

qwertyus wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Ristic is so soft. Dude is 7' and couldn't throw that one down. FOH
2" vertical
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I was happy when Tarczewski left. I may be happier when Ristic is finally gone. We need aggression; not passivity.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

qwertyus wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Put a fork in the season.
Sean Miller has had 9 years to figure out effective offensive sets against a zone. And yet here we are, getting fucking punked by Oregon State. At home. With the best player in CBB.
It's not the sets. It's execution. PJC is actually playing a pretty good game. But this game just shows how limited he is. He can't get in the paint and create. And Trier & Alkins can't or won't penetrate the gaps under control. This zone is nothing special. Look at the wide open misses that Alkins has had. Tons of opportunities. Maddening.
We haven't gotten open looks every time, because it's just screen after screen, and dribble handoffs. Nothing happening. Over and over. It hasn't been a well-coached offensive game, but thankfully, defense has been better.
We don't get open looks because Trier & Alkins don't penetrate the gaps under control. And PJC can't because it's not in his skill set and he gets too deep and can't finish. Trier & Alkins can easily flash to the middle, catch at the elbow or even closer and then attack the rim or dish to the low post or kick out to an open three. It's all there. The execution is terrible. They don't know how to read a zone.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Lol. PJC can't even handle the ball anymore? What good is he?
Captain Obvious

RondaeShimmy wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
2" vertical
0" vertical
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

"Clean up the tinkle sweat"
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
2" vertical
0" vertical
-2" vertical...............he bends his knees
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

dmjcat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
2" vertical
0" vertical
Math checks out
Captain Obvious

dmjcat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
2" vertical
0" vertical
LMAO! Fantastic reply!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Captain Obvious wrote:
I was happy when Tarczewski left. I may be happier when Ristic is finally gone. We need aggression; not passivity.
Zeus had T Rex arms and granite hands, but he really made the other players a lot better. He was always in the right place.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Why do I feel like this is a technical loss?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

A bit chippy....Zo with the 3 and the ‘GTFO’ call
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Catintheheat wrote:Why do I feel like this is a technical loss?
Just thankful for the win at this point...ughhh
prh

Post by prh »

Oregon State talking a lot of junk for being Oregon State
Captain Obvious

Merkin wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
Zeus had T Rex arms and granite hands, but he really made the other players a lot better. He was always in the right place.
Actually you're right. I should lighten up. I let the two Wisconsin losses obscure all the positives he contributed.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Hey, that PJC miss gave Ayton a double double!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Gutted out the win..........the return trip to Corvallis is not going to be fun.

The UW game at Seattle is also looking ugly. Boeheims old assistant has the Dogs playing the best zone in the conference, and they are much longer and more athletic than OSU.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Another Saturday afternoon next up vs Oregon, at least it's home game.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Shameful win.

I'm going to the Oregon game on Saturday... I really hope to see a much better effort
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

62-53 final score for the Cats victory.

like i said earlier, good thing OrSU is shitty lol
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Well, that was a pretty ugly win. At least it was a win.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Why was it a bad win? We gave up the least points we did all year and everyone is saying it is a bad win. Is that because we didnt score 90?

This is exactly what Miller was talking about. Win games when our offense is shit.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

jsbowl16 wrote:Why was it a bad win? We gave up the least points we did all year and everyone is saying it is a bad win. Is that because we didnt score 90?
Because we looked like ass almost the entire game
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
jsbowl16 wrote:Why was it a bad win? We gave up the least points we did all year and everyone is saying it is a bad win. Is that because we didnt score 90?
Because we looked like ass almost the entire game
Then I guess everyone in college basketball looks like ass right now.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Did you watch the game? We let Oregon State have a lead for the entire first half and significant parts of the second. We walked around and took bad shots on the offensive end. We scored 21 goddamn points in one half of basketball! Against Oregon State, AT HOME. This team finally showed some defensive grit, which is good, because otherwise, we were looking at another loss like last week.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is exactly what Miller was talking about. Win games when our offense is shit.
The first half was just bad. Second half, we got some stuff going, but we had 9 to's, got outrebounded and shot under 40% from the field and under 20% from 3 in the 1st half. If we only saw the second half, people wouldn't be so down.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

qwertyus wrote:
Did you watch the game? We let Oregon State have a lead for the entire first half and significant parts of the second. We walked around and took bad shots on the offensive end. We scored 21 goddamn points in one half of basketball! Against Oregon State, AT HOME. This team finally showed some defensive grit, which is good, because otherwise, we were looking at another loss like last week.
Yeah I watched the whole game. Did anyone else watch the defensive end of the floor or do all of you just watch when we cross half court with the ball.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

jsbowl16 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Yeah I watched the whole game. Did anyone else watch the defensive end of the floor or do all of you just watch when we cross half court with the ball.
"This team finally showed some defensive grit, which is good, because otherwise, we were looking at another loss like last week."

Reading is fundamental. If we are firing on both sides of the ball, we blow this Oregon State team out, which is what we should be doing. Instead, we scrape out a win. Will this team put it together Saturday? Maybe.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

qwertyus wrote:
jsbowl16 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
"This team finally showed some defensive grit, which is good, because otherwise, we were looking at another loss like last week."

Reading is fundamental. If we are firing on both sides of the ball, we blow this Oregon State team out, which is what we should be doing. Instead, we scrape out a win. Will this team put it together Saturday? Maybe.
It’s not so much about the game Saturday as much as it is the lack of improvement. Either the Cats aren’t developing or other teams are developing quicker. Either way, it is mid January, and this isn’t a good sign. Right now I don’t see the Cats doing any damage in any tourney.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Catintheheat wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
jsbowl16 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:

It’s not so much about the game Saturday, or wins and losses, as much as it is the lack of improvement. Either the Cats aren’t developing or other teams are developing quicker. Either way, it is mid January, and this isn’t a good sign. Right now I don’t see the Cats doing any damage in any tourney.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I think this was an important game. Guys are learning that defense leads to offense and that can be a great lesson. Offensively our execution against the zone was lacking big time. We came out tight and couldn't get out of our own way. Ayton played just 11 minutes in the first half because of foul trouble. Almost everything that could go wrong (and right for OSU) did. And yet we still got it done. I'm actually glad this was a bit of a grind. We need games like this where shots aren't falling and we need to grind out a win.

Hell, Michigan State barely escaped at home against Rutgers in overtime. We'd be freaking out if that happened. I think OSU is better than Rutgers.

We're learning out identity. PJC's defense on the ball was really good. Maybe OSU's lack of a true point guard probably contributed to that. But it was key to us really giving OSU fits. They couldn't execute their offense at all.

Our shortcomings on offense aren't going to go away. Ayton is special. But as good as he is, we just don't have a guard who can take command. I'm resigned to PJC being what he is. I'd like for him to be able to create more in the paint and generate more offense for himself and finish. But it's just not in his skill set. He actually played a really good game tonight. Alkins was a disaster until the late second half.

I'm also happy our bench got some minutes. Hopefully they'll continue to contribute more and more. We really need their development. Randolph made some foolish plays in the second half. But Lee brought a lot of energy. But I like the energy they bring. Noticeably absent was Barcello.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Lost in all the talk about Miller's lack of diversity on defense is that Arizona won that game by extending out of the pack-line, trapping their guards, and creating turnovers.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

zonagrad wrote:I think this was an important game. Guys are learning that defense leads to offense and that can be a great lesson. Offensively our execution against the zone was lacking big time. We came out tight and couldn't get out of our own way. Ayton played just 11 minutes in the first half because of foul trouble. Almost everything that could go wrong (and right for OSU) did. And yet we still got it done. I'm actually glad this was a bit of a grind. We need games like this where shots aren't falling and we need to grind out a win.

Hell, Michigan State barely escaped at home against Rutgers in overtime. We'd be freaking out if that happened. I think OSU is better than Rutgers.

We're learning out identity. PJC's defense on the ball was really good. Maybe OSU's lack of a true point guard probably contributed to that. But it was key to us really giving OSU fits. They couldn't execute their offense at all.

Our shortcomings on offense aren't going to go away. Ayton is special. But as good as he is, we just don't have a guard who can take command. I'm resigned to PJC being what he is. I'd like for him to be able to create more in the paint and generate more offense for himself and finish. But it's just not in his skill set. He actually played a really good game tonight. Alkins was a disaster until the late second half.

I'm also happy our bench got some minutes. Hopefully they'll continue to contribute more and more. We really need their development. Randolph made some foolish plays in the second half. But Lee brought a lot of energy. But I like the energy they bring. Noticeably absent was Barcello.
On PJC, he had a good game defensively. He was not good on offense. Trier and Ayton found their way by the end, but Rawle, Ristic, and PJC were disappointing to me on the offensive side of the ball.

On D, the team really stepped it up and switched well, only 1 or 2 back cuts that worked. I think that's one of the things we can take away. Almost no open looks, played through foul trouble, and took advantage of refs that allowed physical play.

A note on the refs, anyone notice how the officiating was actually pretty damn good this game? Neither team in the bonus for a long time, both teams allowed to be physical. Am I crazy?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

qwertyus wrote:
zonagrad wrote:I think this was an important game. Guys are learning that defense leads to offense and that can be a great lesson. Offensively our execution against the zone was lacking big time. We came out tight and couldn't get out of our own way. Ayton played just 11 minutes in the first half because of foul trouble. Almost everything that could go wrong (and right for OSU) did. And yet we still got it done. I'm actually glad this was a bit of a grind. We need games like this where shots aren't falling and we need to grind out a win.

On PJC, he had a good game defensively. He was not good on offense. Trier and Ayton found their way by the end, but Rawle, Ristic, and PJC were disappointing to me on the offensive side of the ball.

On D, the team really stepped it up and switched well, only 1 or 2 back cuts that worked. I think that's one of the things we can take away. Almost no open looks, played through foul trouble, and took advantage of refs that allowed physical play.

A note on the refs, anyone notice how the officiating was actually pretty damn good this game? Neither team in the bonus for a long time, both teams allowed to be physical. Am I crazy?
An opponent with a good point guard and it might tell a different story. But you play to your strengths or in this case, against your opponent's weaknesses. Offensively we just aren't the type of team that can work the ball on the perimeter and expect to be successful. We need to get out in transition. That's where Trier & Alkins flourish. That's why it's so important to pound the ball inside against a zone defense or attack the gaps in the zone. Randolph or Akot are the perfect size for being the guy who can work the elbow of the key against a zone. They're just inexperienced and probably not strong enough yet. Alkins & Trier can't or won't do it. But it's there for the taking.

Ristic was Ristic. He offers a lot for us on offense when we stagnate. But for everything he gives us, he also gives up position on defense. And he rarely wins the 50/50 balls on the rebounds. Against really athletic & physical opponents he's going to be our undoing. He's just not physically capable of winning those match ups.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Gonna have to bring more to the Oregon game.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Lost in all the talk about Miller's lack of diversity on defense is that Arizona won that game by extending out of the pack-line, trapping their guards, and creating turnovers.
People whine about Miller being a packline guy all the time and ignore that he frequently adjusts the principles of the packline situationally. He showed it earlier this year in dropping off the hard hedging when we struggled there.

The criticism tends to he people thinking the only way you can adjust on D is to play zone or press. There are tons of tweaks within the basic system and Miller absolutely does that.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Lost in all the talk about Miller's lack of diversity on defense is that Arizona won that game by extending out of the pack-line, trapping their guards, and creating turnovers.
People whine about Miller being a packline guy all the time and ignore that he frequently adjusts the principles of the packline situationally. He showed it earlier this year in dropping off the hard hedging when we struggled there.

The criticism tends to he people thinking the only way you can adjust on D is to play zone or press. There are tons of tweaks within the basic system and Miller absolutely does that.
What's wrong with a straight M2M
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

There is no such thing.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

There is no such thing.
Would you advocate for Miller to switch to a packline defense if he didn't run it?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

To not keep quoting into oblivion, every defense brings positives and negatives. The type of defense selected by a coach matter far less than the effectiveness in teaching it and getting the players executing it.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Would you want Miller to switch to it if he didn't run it?

Didn't answer that
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Would you want Miller to switch to it if he didn't run it?

Didn't answer that
Thanks for the cross examination. I would want Miller to run the system he felt most comfortable teaching players to execute. For Miller, it's packline, so yes. If it was another coach, my answer would be different.

If I can ask a question in return, why does that question (or the answer) matter?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thanks for the cross examination. I would want Miller to run the system he felt most comfortable teaching players to execute. For Miller, it's packline, so yes. If it was another coach, my answer would be different.

If I can ask a question in return, why does that question (or the answer) matter?
Well the way I see it, the only time I've been sold on it was the two McConnell years.

Having said that, those teams had multiple NBA caliber defenders and one (Zeus) who would've been drafted a decade ago.

Since Miller isn't recruiting for his system (packline) like say a Tony Bennett, Bob Huggins, so brings up a question for me

If Miller needs NBA caliber defenders and players to have good defenses, is it really the packline or the players. Idk too much about the game but a team with TJ, Zeus, Gordon/Johnson, RHJ, NJ would be good defensively no matter what. Kadeem another example from last year.

In other words those teams weren't good defensively BECAUSE of the packline, they were good because they had good defenders imo.

If it's the players not the system, what's the point of the system? It's a middle man
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thanks for the cross examination. I would want Miller to run the system he felt most comfortable teaching players to execute. For Miller, it's packline, so yes. If it was another coach, my answer would be different.

Well the way I see it, the only time I've been sold on it was the two McConnell years.

Having said that, those teams had multiple NBA caliber defenders and one (Zeus) who would've been drafted a decade ago.

Since Miller isn't recruiting for his system (packline) like say a Tony Bennett, Bob Huggins, so brings up a question for me

If Miller needs NBA caliber defenders and players to have good defenses, is it really the packline or the players. Idk too much about the game but a team with TJ, Zeus, Gordon/Johnson, RHJ, NJ would be good defensively no matter what. Kadeem another example from last year.

In other words those teams weren't good defensively BECAUSE of the packline, they were good because they had good defenders imo.

If it's the players not the system, what's the point of the system? It's a middle man
Every system relies on good defenders who execute. If you have Scottie Pippens and Gary Payton's on the perimeter and Olajuwon in the lane, the coach can pretty well spend practice time peeing in a bucket and produce good D.

That said, you underrate the developmental process. NJ wasn't a lockdown guy his freshman year. Miller has consistently taught people how to be good defenders and how to execute the system. Even last year, with Dusan and PJC (and their physical limitations) starting alongside Lauri and Trier (decent defenders to ok) we produced a top 30 D. Kadeem and MAYBE Lauri were the only starters with above average defensive physical ability.

You have to have some principles defensively. I don't really understand your argument about the system. No coach just lets people run around and just tells them to guard someone. All college systems have rotation principles, helpside principles, etc.