(M) Game 15, Arizona at Oregon (2019-2020)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: (M) Game 15, Arizona at Oregon (2019-2020)

Post by CalStateTempe »

MountainCat wrote:Shut up y’all on blaming miller. If you blame anyone, it’s on Smith. He had the ball 6 times in the closing minutes of regulation and overtime and had three shot blocked and three turnovers....

... game over.

This team is figuring it out. The will win the PAC.
Yeah and we’ve seen that shit how many times before and Miller still plays his ass.

Miller cashes the checks the buck stops with him.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I love the Miller hate. some times players have to make plays. You would be irate if miller took the ball out of Mannions hands late in the game. He trusted his players to make a play. And they didn’t. Miller didn’t go after the a long rebound lazily late in the game. Miller didn’t miss the front end of a one and one late in regulation. He called a great set for Zeke to get the ball out of a timeout instead Zeke tried to catch it with one hand, it falls to smith and he gets swatted.

You can be upset with miller, but I’m sorry the players deserve more of the blame in this game than Miller.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

MountainCat wrote:Shut up y’all on blaming miller. If you blame anyone, it’s on Smith. He had the ball 6 times in the closing minutes of regulation and overtime and had three shot blocked and three turnovers....

... game over.

Agree Dylan cratered at the end........but Miller should have never had him out there to start with.

I think that Miller needs to have an epiphany and put his Seniors on the bench as backups for the rest of the year..........specifically Jeter/Smith. It will never happen because Miller is an old fashioned coach who is loyal to upper class men.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

... game over.

Oh I’m happy to blame everybody.

There’s one person on a $3.5M a year contract.

(Besides Ayton).
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

... game over.

this is a weak take

without smith we aren't even in this game. much less have a lead in the final minutes of regulation that miller's calls let us piss away.

or how about this entire team learn to shoot their fuckin free throws(also on miller) and we have a bigger lead and maybe still hold onto it
Ooohhhh....

Did I forget the missed 1 and 1... that’s on Smith too.

Not week at all...
Last edited by MountainCat on Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Frybry02 wrote:I love the Miller hate. some times players have to make plays. You would be irate if miller took the ball out of Mannions hands late in the game. He trusted his players to make a play. And they didn’t. Miller didn’t go after the a long rebound lazily late in the game. Miller didn’t miss the front end of a one and one late in regulation. He called a great set for Zeke to get the ball out of a timeout instead Zeke tried to catch it with one hand, it falls to smith and he gets swatted.

You can be upset with miller, but I’m sorry the players deserve more of the blame in this game than Miller.
who's the one who made the call to go away from what worked all game? who's the one who had players come in off the bench, then extend the lead, then basically never see the floor again?

mm hmm
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

... game over.

this is a weak take

without smith we aren't even in this game. much less have a lead in the final minutes of regulation that miller's calls let us piss away.

or how about this entire team learn to shoot their fuckin free throws(also on miller) and we have a bigger lead and maybe still hold onto it
The problem with Smith is that he makes big plays and gives it right back with turnovers and goofy plays. That's the main issue I have with this team is his recruitment. You can't have weak links in tight games.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

MountainCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

... game over.

this is a weak take

Ooohhhh....

Not week at all...
Oooohhhh...did you forget who decides which players are in the game?

Even if you want to lay it at the feet of smith (who is one of the main reasons we were even IN the game) .... who decided to keep him out there making mistakes?

Oh yeah, Miller.

Weak take.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Frybry02 wrote:I love the Miller hate. some times players have to make plays.
There’s always an excuse, ain’t there?

It’s what we do. Make excuses.

What’s the excuse going to be when we go out in the first or second round this year when this was supposed to be our final four challenging team?

No excuse, right? Out in first or second round means we go our own ways, right?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

RawleArenas wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

... game over.

this is a weak take

The problem with Smith is that he makes big plays and gives it right back with turnovers and goofy plays. That's the main issue I have with this team is his recruitment. You can't have weak links in tight games.
This just goes back to Miller though. If you feel smith is such a weak link, who gets the blame for having him out there for so many minutes?

Smith doesn't just check himself into the game and decide when to play and how much to play does he?

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
MountainCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

... game over.

this is a weak take

Ooohhhh....

Not week at all...

Even if you want to lay it at the feet of smith (who is one of the main reasons we were even IN the game) .... who decided to keep him out there making mistakes?

Oh yeah, Miller.

Weak take.
Go Cats!
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

This loss falls squarely on Miller. He can't recruit players that execute down the stretch. His late game management is dogshit. His late game rotations were caca too.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
RawleArenas wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

... game over.

this is a weak take

This just goes back to Miller though. If you feel smith is such a weak link, who gets the glame for having him out there for so many minutes?

Smith doesn't just check himself into the game and decide when to play and how much to play does he?
Dylan Smith is an open book. If he hits his first shot or two and gets confidence then he can play well for a stretch. Once he airballs a shot and then commits a stupid turnover his confidence goes into the toilet......he should have been pulled long before the game came to an end. I still think Baker needs to start the rest of the year.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

WildcatStunner wrote:This loss falls squarely on Miller. He can't recruit players that execute down the stretch. His late game management is dogshit. His late game rotations were caca too.
this

TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

It's déjà vu every big game. This was the predictable outcome. I'd like to think the people coming to Miller's defense just aren't paying attention because the alternative is worse.

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:I love the Miller hate. some times players have to make plays. You would be irate if miller took the ball out of Mannions hands late in the game. He trusted his players to make a play. And they didn’t. Miller didn’t go after the a long rebound lazily late in the game. Miller didn’t miss the front end of a one and one late in regulation. He called a great set for Zeke to get the ball out of a timeout instead Zeke tried to catch it with one hand, it falls to smith and he gets swatted.

who's the one who made the call to go away from what worked all game? who's the one who had players come in off the bench, then extend the lead, then basically never see the floor again?

mm hmm
Koloko can't match up when Oregon goes small. Best 5 minutes Ira played in his life. We both know a travel or foul was coming soon. Baker had his opportunities and Richardson worked him.

I wish hazzard got more playing time.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
RawleArenas wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

... game over.

this is a weak take

This just goes back to Miller though. If you feel smith is such a weak link, who gets the blame for having him out there for so many minutes?

Fair point, you have no argument here. There are two players on the team that I get butterflies whenever we put them in the game, and not the good kind. That's on Miller. That should never happen with a high major team. I would use Josh or Zeke for tight game heroics. That still doesn't mean CSM does not have the chops, it means that he has to figure out real quick how he is going to use those two players going forward.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

SCCats wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:I love the Miller hate. some times players have to make plays.
There’s always an excuse, ain’t there?

It’s what we do. Make excuses.

What’s the excuse going to be when we go out in the first or second round this year when this was supposed to be our final four challenging team?

No excuse, right? Out in first or second round means we go our own ways, right?
No sh*t. Players may make the plays, but the best coaches design the best ones that put their team in the best position to win.

Instead, tonight our coaches thought it was more important to complain for fouls from the officiating crew. Not what our leader does, or is supposed to do.

How about a coach who draws up some sets that work to our players' strengths in pressure situations where every possession counts, like tonight? What happened to that guy?

If it didn't happen tonight, what gives anyone reason to believe it's going to happen in the Dance?
Last edited by catgrad97 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

WildcatStunner wrote:This loss falls squarely on Miller. He can't recruit players that execute down the stretch. His late game management is dogshit. His late game rotations were caca too.

"He can't recruit players that execute down the stretch" thats the dumbest thing I've ever read on this entire forum...the refs swallowed the whistle on Oregon in OT...NOT ONE FUCKING FOUL CALLED ON THE HOME TEAM AS THEY MAULED ANYONE IN THE PAINT...

Then they stop play when Green has a layup to give the ball right back to Az...

This team executed against the #9 team in the nation and lost by 1 on their home court in OT with a trio of freshmen and some shitblind pac 12 refs...they were tight on Oregon in the end defending and making them turn it over...they executed on defense and got ZERO FUCKING CALLS IN 5 MINUTES OF PLAY.

This was on the refs...you cannot tell me Oregon did not foul once in 5 minutes when they committed more fouls than UA in regulation.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

BS it was on the refs. Refs didn't miss the front end of a one-on-one. Refs didn't tell Dylan Smith to take it to the hoop himself with Mannion and Nnaji out there.

Blaming the refs is loser talk that Arizona fans should know is the worst excuse for a loss.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

3 close loses to 3 top 10 teams. 1 point loss at a top ten team in OT. Could be worse i guess especially with three starting freshman. What I'm dissapointed in is the decisions to let Smith keep driving and getting TOs and Ls. Keep him on the three line only or take him out! I'm holding judgment on this team till it's nearing the end of the reg. season.
But those decisions and TOs at the end of the 1st half, regulation and OT were lame. Seems to be the common theme with Miller's teams.
Mike Luke's burner account.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So..it’s bad to start freshmen?

Or is it good?

Hard to keep track.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Also Zeke needs to GRAB THE BALL.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

catgrad97 wrote:BS it was on the refs. Refs didn't miss the front end of a one-on-one. Refs didn't tell Dylan Smith to take it to the hoop himself with Mannion and Nnaji out there.

Blaming the refs is loser talk that Arizona fans should know is the worst excuse for a loss.
Completely agree. The refs did swallow their whistles at the end but they actually let us play most of the game (and the 2nd half). We only had 4 fouls at one point late in the 2nd half.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
MountainCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

... game over.

this is a weak take

Ooohhhh....

Not week at all...

Oh yeah, Miller.

Weak take.
Go Cats!
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

One less Smith possession could have been the difference in this game.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

catgrad97 wrote:BS it was on the refs. Refs didn't miss the front end of a one-on-one. Refs didn't tell Dylan Smith to take it to the hoop himself with Mannion and Nnaji out there.

Just go to the reddit game thread everyone there (even a few ducks) admit the refs gave it to Oregon...there ARE times when refs decide the game and tonite was one of those times...

Again just look at the data, Oregon managed to have one more foul than arizona but did not foul once in OT?????

Its bullshit to suggest that refs do not determine some of this.

1 fucking point...you could go back to regulation and give UA a free throw and the game is decided...instead they swallow the whistle anytime we were in the paint beneath our own board...you're going to call a foul on Stone Gettings doing the EXACT same thing that Pritchard did to Nico not 15 seconds before but NOT on Pritchard???? He bodies up Nico on the drive that Nico misses and yet Gettings does it an its a foul on a "and one"???

There's your fucking point.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

dmjcat wrote:

Completely agree. The refs did swallow their whistles at the end but they actually let us play most of the game (and the 2nd half). We only had 4 fouls at one point late in the 2nd half.
What constantly amazes me about Arizona fan after losses like these is how quickly he forgets how many poor possessions the team had down the stretch.

So many turnovers in the final minute of regulation and OT. So many lousy isos that brought the offense to a halt before then, including the end of the first half.

Ball movement has to be much more of a priority with this team than it has been for a while. With it, even Ira Lee can make the Sportscenter Top 5, like his dunk did tonight.

Without it, pack line or no pack line, it's choke time for our offense. No other way to describe what's happening to this program.in pressure situations.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CatFanOneMil wrote:

Just go to the reddit game thread everyone there (even a few ducks) admit the refs gave it to Oregon...there ARE times when refs decide the game and tonite was one of those times...

Again just look at the data, Oregon managed to have one more foul than arizona but did not foul once in OT?????

Its bullshit to suggest that refs do not determine some of this.

1 fucking point...you could go back to regulation and give UA a free throw and the game is decided...instead they swallow the whistle anytime we were in the paint beneath our own board...you're going to call a foul on Stone Gettings doing the EXACT same thing that Pritchard did to Nico not 15 seconds before but NOT on Pritchard???? He bodies up Nico on the drive that Nico misses and yet Gettings does it an its a foul on a "and one"???

There's your fucking point.
Bravo!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Stfu already. If you thought this was a well officiated game that had no impact on who won then you are more idiotic than your posts suggest.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Nico has great natural talent. He can maximize it when he1 figures out which team to give the ball to
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:

Stfu already. If you thought this was a well officiated game that had no impact on who won then you are more idiotic than your posts suggest.
Oh, piss up a rope and take your stupid-ass fan bravado outside. You think I don't know how bad Pac-12 refs are? Then you're the only idiot here, pal. And you can't read my posts worth sh*t.

But hey, more loser talk from another sub-adult fan who doesn't want to admit when his team has problems. No, all those turnovers in OT and iso sets where everyone just stood around watching Nico or Dylan pound the ball into the floor, those were all the refs' fault. :roll:

Take your alpha confidence and cram it. You aren't going to win any awards from the Arizona basketball gods for being That Fan Who Never Lost His Faith.

If you can't look objectively and critically at this team's plusses and minuses and just keep being that dime-a-dozen blind 'Cat fan who insists "we'll be fine--just like we were in '97!" then the lessons of history are lost on you, and you'll never understand why this program continues its slide into ever-more-mediocre results with top-shelf talent, year after year.

BTW, that sole championship team was six minutes away from a first-round loss. The road to the title was never clear-cut, nor a sure thing. Every result was one to two possessions from disappointment. Absolutely nobody thought those Cats could really win it all--until it happened. So let's stop with the revisionist history, especially since I was there and you weren't.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Yup. You’re an idiot
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Yup. You’re an idiot
Not as much as you'll be when you wake up in the morning and look at this last post.

You absolutely have no clue WTF you are talking about. Go look at TucsonClip's posts on this loss and buy a clue. I'm ashamed of the way you're reacting and won't engage in this purposeless conversation anymore.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Sofa king stupid
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Arizona was 9-14 FT with two missed front end 1 and 1’s in the last five minutes. The refs swallowed their whistles at the end of regulation on a clear foul. Oregon got to the line in OT on some questionable calls. Arizona didn’t get one call in OT.

Yet here we are debating Sean Miller after a one point overtime loss, on the road, against a top 10 team.

You people are fucking crazy.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

zonagrad wrote:Arizona was 9-14 FT with two missed front end 1 and 1’s in the last five minutes. The refs swallowed their whistles at the end of regulation on a clear foul. Oregon got to the line in OT on some questionable calls. Arizona didn’t get one call in OT.

Yet here we are debating Sean Miller after a one point overtime loss, on the road, against a top 10 team.

You people are fucking crazy.
Yes!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Nico has great natural talent. He can maximize it when he1 figures out which team to give the ball to

That is what stood out in the stats. Our PG with 3 assists and 6 turmovers. That just should not be. Those numbers should be reversed. GTFDO blaming Smith or Miller. A good PG just should now way have a 1:2 A/TO ratio.