Red-Blue Game (2014-2015)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Red-Blue Game (2014-2015)

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Sat, Oct 18
Sold Out
Time: 3:10ish
T.V. = none live, Pac12 Network will air it delayed at 7:30pm (but does follow live events so could very well be delayed even further)

um....other than that....

Here's hoping Blue beats down Red!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Daryl Zero

Re: Red-Blue Game

Post by Daryl Zero »

GORED
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

GO BLUE
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'd bet Stanley, but York had some great dunks last year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

RHJ
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I think red has the edge. Pg play.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Blue - more/better shooters.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Headband guy on red Wildchair team is a chucker.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Line went all the way around McKale and into the parking garage

Seats are much narrower and the rows are tighter. Less leg room but pretty comfortable seats
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Dusan looks pretty good.

Rondae is straight beastly.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Red beating blue 26-12 3 min left in the half
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Who looks better than expected?

Who looks worse?
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Ristic was incredible. Stanley even on this team is amazing - man amonst boys. Hollis-Jefferson is simply great, the shimmy is back & he can shoot! Zeuszeuski was meh - out played by Dusan. Bash had a quiet day, still looks rusty. Victor looked really good.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

NYCat wrote:Ristic was incredible. Stanley even on this team is amazing - man amonst boys. Hollis-Jefferson is simply great, the shimmy is back & he can shoot! Zeuszeuski was meh - out played by Dusan. Bash had a quiet day, still looks rusty. Victor looked really good.
Two guys I was hoping could help this year. Awesome if they will!

Go Cats!!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Red beating blue 26-12 3 min left in the half
what happened in the second half?

Blue better have come back! ;)

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Rustic looks very comfortable on the court and makes great decisions with the ball.well Stanley is just Stanley! Craig victor looks like a grown ass man! RHJ has gotten better and plays more under control. Parker isn't afraid to take it to the rim maybe to a fault! Elliot looks about the same. Wasn't impressed with York! Bash was rusty but moved well on his foot and hit a nice 3! TJ looks like the leader of this team and was diving all over the court! Kadeem Allen cannot Dunk but looks to be a pure scorer. He missed some shots but they were rhythm shots and will fall. MK looks strong! Ryan Andserson didn't play was that because of his injury or because he is red shirting? What I took away from today was there is not going to be any drop off when our newcomers come into the game! MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE DEPTH
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Any notable alums or recruits in attendance?

Best dunk?

Great to hear about Ristic - how'd Kaleb look out on the floor?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

AZCatGirl wrote:I'd bet Stanley, but York had some great dunks last year.
Called it! ;) One of his dunks got a perfect, and the only, 10. My thoughts from the game:

Before things got started they played that awesome McKale history video. It was fun listening to the crowd cheer at the different parts. Pleasantly surprised they cheered loudly during the Miller part of the video.

RHJ's improvement has not been exaggerated. I and the people around me were really impressed.

Dusan really stole the show like others have said. Red had no answer for him, and I don't think many teams will.

Free throw shooting seemed to be improved among the returning players. Freshman still need some work.

Stan was the man, as expected. Victor made some nice shots as well. Kadeem was pretty quiet, but did make his free throws at least.

PJC still needs some work, but I really liked his hustle. He stepped it up more towards the end and forced a turnover or two. TJ was his usual self.

Zeus and Bash were meh overall. I know Bash is still working his way back, but I thought Zeus would do more.

York was the most disappointing. I was really expecting some improved shooting, but his shot just isn't consistent yet. 3 point shooting is the biggest question mark, but it's nice to know Stanley, Bash and TJ can hit them on occasion. I bet Rondae will nail a few as the season goes along as well.

Very sloppy ball handling as the game went along. I'm sure Miller will fix that up in practice.

Blue started fouling near the end and almost made a comeback. Don't know what scrimmages at other schools are like, but I don't think you'd see that at too many. Both teams were definitely playing to win. Red did a pretty good job nailing their free throws to ice the game.

Looking forward to the replay tonight to get a better view of things since I was behind one of the baskets. If you're not excited about this season yet, you will be. The team feels much more complete than last year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Dunks were disappointing except for one of Stanley's.

Dusan looks like the future at center but who knows.

Surprised by victor too...looked comfortable in his role and can score easily.

Tarc's performance was a little worrisome.

McConnell still needs to assert himself more methinks.

Free throw shooting was better
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

about to start showing on pac12 network

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yay, they're airing the updated intro!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

can't stand don maclean.

hopefully dont have to listen to him much this year

LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

I hated Don as a player. As in...white hot hatred. As in... "They foreclosed on his trailer home while he was rehabbing two broken ankles and detoxing from coke? Fuck him!"

But as a commentator I actually enjoy listening to him. Plus the history makes hearing him compliment Arizona all the sweeter. His snark makes me chuckle.

A Walton - Donny M tandem call would be amazing.

MOST IMPORTANTLY THOUGH, HELLOOOOOOOO HOOPS SEASON! I MISSED YOU DEARLY!

(Ristic looks promising)
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Love McLean as a color guy. He knows his stuff and respects our brand
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:can't stand don maclean.

hopefully dont have to listen to him much this year

This. Except we will.

I think it is funny that people like him. You can take out the year and his act is the same, just insert new players into his "analysis".
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:Love McLean as a color guy. He knows his stuff and respects our brand
^^^ Exactly. As much as it pains me to say, I think McLean is really, really good. He's very honest and not a panderer or a shock-jock, which makes the respect that he gives our program very authentic.

Not sure there's a Bruin I hated more as a player... Although Trevor Wilson and Toby Bailey are in the conversation.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

LBdCactus wrote: A Walton - Donny M tandem call would be amazing.
That would be must watch TV.

I agree with others here. McLean is a solid analyst. Yeah, his style is the same every year...whose isn't? There is a lot of repetition and discontent of the familiar through a season, but I never feel like McLean is phoning it in or is being fake...he does his research and provides solid if not spectacular analysis.

I hated Don McLean with a white-hot level of hate. As a student from 1989 to 1994, I was in the wheel house of McLean's tenure as a player, and hated the mere mention of his name. He had to be much better on the mic than someone else for me to accept his analysis as worthy. And he passed.

We have worse options in the PAC 12...
catgrad97

My observations

Post by catgrad97 »

Rondae knows how to use the window. So many players never utilize that as an option. He looks stronger, more fluid.

Tarczewski either needs a fire lit under him or a new pair of hands, because Ristic made it look easy against
him. Why he's still finessing his opportunities around the rim in the paint instead of using his muscle at this point IMHO is probably indicative of his natural ceiling: His wingspan. A physical specimen like Kaleb should never be getting shots blocked at the rim after three years in this program, still. He should be a shotblocking force, in fact. And it happened multiple times in the first half alone Saturday. Disappointing.

York is York: Streaky. He hits his first shot, look out. He doesn't, he disappears and Miller will need other perimeter options that night.

Pitts will get all the time he wants this season if he can nail the three consistently when set up and develops serviceable ballhandling skills. First of he or York to be a threat off the dribble wins.

Allen has promise if he can be more than just an iso, step-back jumper kind of player. Can he shoot over a zone as soon as he receives the pass? Key to how much time we'll see from him this year.

Victor will be huge in games down the road. He already has a jumper out to the ft line and just needs to work on his post moves. He knows how to get his on the blocks.

Does TJ remember he has the green light on the kickout? He needs to show that dimension of his game now, not just when he is called on to do so.

Maclean's comparison of Stanley Johnson to James Harden is pretty accurate. When the shot clock is winding down and we need an option, he is No. 1.

Liked Korcheck's stepout J and block of Victor, who is behind Matt from the FT line and floor spacing IMO. We have four big options in the paint this year with little dropoff.

PJC is a mini-Damon. He'll make us laugh and cry this year as he gets the first-year jitters out. Kid can create points from anywhere on the floor, but again, I think perimeter shooting dictates his PT range this season. Hazzard can help there.

This is a different style of team than last year, one in which Brandon Ashley is still searching to find his new role. The defense will remain monstrous, but there's going to be more offense off the dribble and less around the rim. Two thumbs up to that, as last year's team proved too dependent on athleticism going to the hole.

A NBA-ready Tarczewski would be helpful. He shouldn't be going league on just height. Glad Ristic is here this year to push him, because nobody should be stopping Kaleb, much less making him fade away on post moves like he still did in the second half Saturday.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »