Exhibition, vs Cal Poly Pomona (2014-2015)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Re: Exhibition, vs Cal Poly Pomona

Post by PieceOfMeat »

wtf was that call, Sj didn't foul him
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

nice York
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

nice adjustment to the bad pass Korchek

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Merkin wrote:CG97 also worked for the AD IIRC.
Yep, and that group was serious and intense about their hoops.

Sorry if I come off sounding like the grumpy old man ranting, but ever since that UCLA football debacle I think I've kind of given up on a team getting championship-level play and mental approach to winning college sports.

It's Tucson, the sun and the babes are out. Winning a championship can wait right?

And then college is all over, and what have you accomplished? Proud to still be part of the only national hoops title class of champions.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

A long way to go, but better 2nd half showing.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Love Ashley Bashly. So glad he is back!!!!!! NoCal representing!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

67-51 is the final score.

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Dosia wrote:....better 2nd half showing.
said nearly every game the last couple years :lol:

CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Presser?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Dosia

Post by Dosia »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Dosia wrote:....better 2nd half showing.
said nearly every game the last couple years :lol:
pretty much :D
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:I don't care who we're playing, just excited to finally go to a game again. Been a loooooooong off season.

I guess even for $25 blowing out a DII team is too boring for Tucson to sell the game out. Their loss.
what are you talking about?

It's an exhibition game. Don't worry, we always lead in attendance, and always will.
I'm not worried about attendance for regular games. I just thought the exhibition would sell out fast since it was so cheap. Of course when I got to the game nearly every seat was filled, so it turned out to be a pointless complaint anyway. :lol:

Haven't read what others have said yet, but here's my thoughts from the game.

I was really impressed with Gabe's hustle and the turnovers he forced. Still needs to work on that 3 point shot though.

The whole team seemed to have first game jitters, but the crowd knew they'd settle down soon enough. Stanley made some nice plays, and it was nice to see PJC get a lot of playing time.

The defense and rebounding were better than I was expecting. Not up to last year yet, but obviously improved since Miller's press conference.

Everyone cheered extra hard for Bash, obviously. Needs to work on his free throw shot, but otherwise I thought he had a nice game.

I could see some improvement in Zeus' game, but I really loved having Dusan as a backup. That was sorely missing last year. Obviously he still needs to work on a few things, but I'm excited where he'll be in a few months.

Too early to tell how free throw shooting will be, but Zeus and the shimmy are pretty much money from the line. Nice to know we have some replacements for Nick in end of game situations.

It felt like there were a million fouls called. Were the refs being their usual selves, or was Pomona really fouling that much? Some calls on both teams seemed pretty borderline.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Take out the first 15 minutes and I thought the Cats looked very, very good.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Didn't see the game, obviously, but I did see some highlights on the NBC sports website; it was UAAD branded, didn't show any defensive highlights, and only showed the good stuff on offense.

That said, Zeus looked very much improved - like a real basketball player. No more Tall Frosh staring at his shoes all the time and clanging the balls off the ping pong paddles attached to his wrists. He caught passes and finished well. I like it.

Ristic looks promising too. I mean there was only a couple of shots of him, but he looked like he knew what he was doing out there - completely unlike another European Big that hung around the team a couple of years ago.

Johnson looked like he can and will pass to the open man. I have read other peoples thoughts that he might just not know how to spell the word 'pass' - don't know where it came from. York looks like he's gonna be lights out to me. Ashley looked vaguely tentative, but that could just be me over thinking what I saw.

Over all, there must have been a lot of rust still, but the highlight edit didn't show it - and I wouldn't really expect it to. I think Cal Poly was the perfect team for this game - not a bad team but one that lets coach experiment and the team to reset their confidence.

So... Get In, Bear Down, Buckle Up, and Fire Up - Its gonna be a H3LL of a ride.

*** {{{ the heck with it... I was trying to embed a video of "China Grove" but just couldn't figure out how to make it work }}} ***
Here's the link instead...

http://youtu.be/MCpI645baoU
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.