Game 20, at California (2015-2016)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Game 20, at California (2015-2016)

Post by rgdeuce »

No idea why we are fucking draining clock there. This team drives me mad. Is it possible to be chronic overachievers and underachievers at the same time?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Personally, I will be happy when Gabe is gone.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dcZONAfan wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:This is one of those games where literally every bounce off the ball is landing in Cal's hands. Our effort is good. The refs have been fine (although that call right there on Zeus was awful, clearly knocked out by them). We just haven't got a single bounce. If we win this game if will be a miracle
That play right after we tied it up, when brown had that awful drive and the rebound was fumbled out of our hands then brown ends up with it and it led to the mathews three was exactly what I meant in this post. Just not our night. Let's hope brown misses one at least
By the way they fouled us when we fumbled the ball you speak of
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

AZCatGirl wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:Love when there is 18 seconds left and we are losing and we hold for the last shot. Great work, guys
You don't want to give them the last shot.
You're right. Why either take the lead with 9 seconds left and force them to hit a game winning shot or have a chance to foul if you don't score then have a second chance. How dumb would THAT be!!
And with our awful defense they would've scored at the buzzer like last time.
Sure a team with no timeouts. Their odds would have been SUPER high. Sorry but you have no clue what the fuck you are talking about
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Merkin wrote:After York's inability to dribble at the end of the USC game, no idea why he was tasked with this again, and still has no handles.

Again, why not get the ball to Ristic?
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking!.... He's almost automatic near the basket. I wondered why he wasn't on the floor and wondered if he fouled out somehow.. checked the box score.. he didn't have a single foul. We had time for a set play.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

WildcatStunner wrote:Personally, I will be happy when Gabe is gone.
Disagree completely......without York this team would be completely screwed at this point. He's no NBA bound guard but he's a decent college 2G (which we don't have a lot of at the moment)
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dmjcat wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:Personally, I will be happy when Gabe is gone.
Disagree completely......without York this team would be completely screwed at this point. He's no NBA bound guard but he's a decent college 2G (which we don't have a lot of at the moment)
Yeah I don't get it. this falls on miller for putting the ball back in gabes hand but Gabe has been pretty damn clutch when we need a bucket the kid normally delivers. Better we will catch them back at mckale!!!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

We're a rhythm team, though. If 3 of our 4 losses should've taught us anything, it's that this is not a team that values possessions.

Great offensive balance on this team, but it is auspicatory for March that nobody can make the game-winning play on either end.

Hopefully Trier can come back and be that guy, because we're running out of time and options.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote:After York's inability to dribble at the end of the USC game, no idea why he was tasked with this again, and still has no handles.

The problem is Merk........who else do you give the ball to?? Someone has to handle it under pressure at the end.

Ristic? Tolly? Anderson? The only reasonable alternative would be Kadeem at this point and his handles are not exactly rock solid either. We just don't have a really great "Go To" option at this point, especially with Trier out.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

They should have ran a clear out w rustic and gab be outside and had Anderson weak side for board. Kadeem on cross court 3 / slash if they rotate over amd Tolly at the high post.

Ristic wasn't even in game. Instead it was pjc lol. I wish I knew what SM saw in him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote:

The problem is Merk........who else do you give the ball to?? Someone has to handle it under pressure at the end.

Ristic? Tolly? Anderson? The only reasonable alternative would be Kadeem at this point and his handles are not exactly rock solid either. We just don't have a really great "Go To" option at this point, especially with Trier out.
I would have let PJC setup an offense, and get 3 passes in, instead of pounding the ball for 14 seconds.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

I would have let PJC setup an offense, and get 3 passes in, instead of pounding the ball for 14 seconds.
That might have been a reasonable alternative.........but it would have put the game in PJC's hands, and he hasn't exactly been nails with the ball, especially on the road. Our best go to player is Gabe at this point (IMO).
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I said this even after Santa Clara, you run your damn cuts. Enough with the drama of the game-winner, you manufacture wins--not tell one guy, "Go win this for us," because it doesn't work with our current rotation.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Merkin wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Yeah Gabe is not a natural point. I noticed earlier in the game he drives and drives and doesn't see team mates nearby who may have a better shot... there was one where Zeus had a clear path to the basket.. fortunately Gabe made that one.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Merkin wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

We never, ever just throw the ball into the post on a last possession. The ball is always in a guard's hands and he is expected or tries to make a play off the bounce. We should have been attacking the rim at 10 seconds with a shot going up and a chance for a put back. Who cares if we score and Cal gets the ball back with 6 or 7 seconds. I'd much rather have the lead and try to defend a last second shot rather than hold the ball to the point where you only get one chance to score. Every time we have a last possession we wait too long. Every. Single. Time.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

carolinacat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

We never, ever just throw the ball into the post on a last possession. The ball is always in a guard's hands and he is expected or tries to make a play off the bounce. We should have been attacking the rim at 10 seconds with a shot going up and a chance for a put back. Who cares if we score and Cal gets the ball back with 6 or 7 seconds. I'd much rather have the lead and try to defend a last second shot rather than hold the ball to the point where you only get one chance to score. Every time we have a last possession we wait too long. Every. Single. Time.
No argument that we held the ball too long.........Not sure if that was the plan or just an accident after Gabe fumbled the ball. Even if we jacked up a missed layup with 7-8 seconds left we could have immediately fouled Cal. Worst case we would have gotten the ball back down 3 with 5-6 seconds left.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

To be clear, I like Gabe. Just don't turn him into a point at the end of the game. (or even for too long of a stretch in the game). He's not a natural assist man.
Dave

Post by Dave »

1-5 in games decided by 3pts or less. Ugh!