Game #17 vs Oregon State

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RichardCranium

Re: Game #17 vs Oregon State

Post by RichardCranium »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:34 pm
Postmaster wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:32 pm Did I see a cactus logo by our score?
One of the few things ESPN does right is give us that.
Sure it wasn't some staff member's shoulder patch in the background?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:34 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:17 pm Apparently we don't like it when I am wearing my new wool bibs, won't be wearing those at game time again!!

It's too bad, they are my new favorite article of clothing. If I would have had 40 more dollars when I was in grad school at Tech I'd have bought the wool bibs instead of wool pants for cruising timber and my whole life would have been different.
I know I'm biased, but grown men shouldn't be allowed to wear bibs. Sorry, I can't help but think that. I liked tin pants for doing stand exam in devil's club or thinning exams in heavy slash. There were oceans of hollyhock and bull thistle that I had skin reactions to and had to wear tin pants or rain gear in during blistering hot summer months. Just out of curiosity, what was your go-to choice for foot wear?
Red wing, model 2414, steel toe, goretex, no insulation in the summer, had baffin steel toed felt packs for winter and atlas snow shoes. The wool is for the crotch deep snow.

I always wanted a pair of tin pants for those days when the dew didn't burn off til 10:00 and you are in the thigh high bracken fern, but just ended up with rain pants all the time.

Not much picky here, just some scattered patches of blackberry brambles.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:53 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:50 pm "Get off their nuts!"

I love this woman.
I missed that one. Good catch.
I am definitely watching this game tonight or Sunday
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:21 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:06 pm I hate our uniforms.
I know you don’t prefer the rainbow shoulders so let’s just appreciate what we have.
We have the 97s, lets just always wear them!!!!
-Norlander.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:33 am
pc in NM wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:21 pm
TheCat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:05 pm Kerr careless. Tries to make the spectacular play instead of the sound one. Larrson was again a no show. Zu is just a great basketball player. Not very athletic but just nails at times.
Kerr had 11 assists. I'll take 11 assists and 5 TO's any day!!!!
Agreed - but 2 or 3 of his TO's occurred late in the second half when we should have been icing the game and not giving OSU any hope.
That's what bothered me.
Same, and they were unforced to's also. He needs to learn when to take chances and when to take better care of the ball.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:44 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:53 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:50 pm "Get off their nuts!"

I love this woman.
I missed that one. Good catch.
I am definitely watching this game tonight or Sunday
Kerr was hearing her too!!! LOL
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:33 am
pc in NM wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:21 pm
TheCat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:05 pm Kerr careless. Tries to make the spectacular play instead of the sound one. Larrson was again a no show. Zu is just a great basketball player. Not very athletic but just nails at times.
Kerr had 11 assists. I'll take 11 assists and 5 TO's any day!!!!
Agreed - but 2 or 3 of his TO's occurred late in the second half when we should have been icing the game and not giving OSU any hope.
That's what bothered me.
Same. When Boswell and the other scrubs were losing the lead, CTL put Kriisa and Tubelis back in, even though they were still gassed, and even then with the starters the Cats were still throwing the ball away.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:14 pm Great defensive intensity in the first half when the shots were falling. Struggled to shoot from the outside, and we let the Beavers back in the game. Gave up 48 points in the 2nd half!

Need to find a way to keep up defensive intensity for a full 40 minutes. Don't worry if the shots on your end are falling or not. Shouldn't make a difference on how you play D.
This. Way too many lapses on defense in the second half. The turnovers added fuel to the fire. Oregon is going to be pesky like ASU, WSU, and Utah.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:45 am
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:17 pm Apparently we don't like it when I am wearing my new wool bibs, won't be wearing those at game time again!!

It's too bad, they are my new favorite article of clothing. If I would have had 40 more dollars when I was in grad school at Tech I'd have bought the wool bibs instead of wool pants for cruising timber and my whole life would have been different.
I know I'm biased, but grown men shouldn't be allowed to wear bibs. Sorry, I can't help but think that. I liked tin pants for doing stand exam in devil's club or thinning exams in heavy slash. There were oceans of hollyhock and bull thistle that I had skin reactions to and had to wear tin pants or rain gear in during blistering hot summer months. Just out of curiosity, what was your go-to choice for foot wear?
Red wing, model 2414, steel toe, goretex, no insulation in the summer, had baffin steel toed felt packs for winter and atlas snow shoes. The wool is for the crotch deep snow.

I always wanted a pair of tin pants for those days when the dew didn't burn off til 10:00 and you are in the thigh high bracken fern, but just ended up with rain pants all the time.

There was a transition period when I switched from treeplanting to stocking exams before learning stand exam. I relied on these bad boys to take me from the ravely slopes of Northern Cal to the sloughing granitic steeper slopes of the Boise National Forest:
Full steel shank and toe. Rubberized ballistic material with replaceable caulks. Weighed a frickin' ton. But the toe box was wide and super comfortable. In the Black Hills stands were gentle, brush-free, and well managed. I bailed to Danners. They felt like house slippers.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:38 am

There was a transition period when I switched from treeplanting to stocking exams before learning stand exam. I relied on these bad boys to take me from the ravely slopes of Northern Cal to the sloughing granitic steeper slopes of the Boise National Forest:
Full steel shank and toe. Rubberized ballistic material with replaceable caulks. Weighed a frickin' ton. But the toe box was wide and super comfortable. In the Black Hills stands were gentle, brush-free, and well managed. I bailed to Danners. They felt like house slippers.
I love this bar.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If you're Kerr you have to understand the circumstances and what is needed at that time. Turning the ball over late was what allowed OSU any hope where a simple pass that resulted in a shot was what was needed. Just score and time needs to be a factor when you play. 11 assists is great but I would take 6 with 1 t/o because I think the extra 5 shots will get you at least some points.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

TheCat wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:42 am If you're Kerr you have to understand the circumstances and what is needed at that time. Turning the ball over late was what allowed OSU any hope where a simple pass that resulted in a shot was what was needed. Just score and time needs to be a factor when you play. 11 assists is great but I would take 6 with 1 t/o because I think the extra 5 shots will get you at least some points.
Excellent point. Situational basketball. Even holding the ball and heaving a desperation shot, or letting the shot clock run out is better than a live ball turnover. The desperation shot or letting the clock run out gives you some time to set up your D. It wasn't always fun to watch, but Miller's teams did a great job at the end of a game with a lead running the clock down to zero. Something that maybe Lloyd could learn and teach a little better.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CTL mentioned the late to's as something we might regret

arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:41 pm
TheCat wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:42 am If you're Kerr you have to understand the circumstances and what is needed at that time. Turning the ball over late was what allowed OSU any hope where a simple pass that resulted in a shot was what was needed. Just score and time needs to be a factor when you play. 11 assists is great but I would take 6 with 1 t/o because I think the extra 5 shots will get you at least some points.
Excellent point. Situational basketball. Even holding the ball and heaving a desperation shot, or letting the shot clock run out is better than a live ball turnover. The desperation shot or letting the clock run out gives you some time to set up your D. It wasn't always fun to watch, but Miller's teams did a great job at the end of a game with a lead running the clock down to zero. Something that maybe Lloyd could learn and teach a little better.
I like that Tommy keeps his timeouts unlike Miller, but there's also no shame in using them when the guys are gassed or not figuring it out on their own. Again, I'm not panicking. I think these guys can improve and peak at the right time.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

84Cat wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:42 pm CTL mentioned the late to's as something we might regret

"... we're a team that's better when we're aggressive and try to make plays..."
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

RichardCranium wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:32 am
AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:34 pm
Postmaster wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:32 pm Did I see a cactus logo by our score?
One of the few things ESPN does right is give us that.
Sure it wasn't some staff member's shoulder patch in the background?
No, it's absolutely a graphic they use when pointing out some stat or a score for us. Watch for it during our game tomorrow.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:00 am

I love this bar.
I thought about getting korkers when I was logging, but I was in and out of equipment a bunch as well as out felling, limbing, and bucking.

Nothing slipperier on cold iron than more cold iron.

Dove, man, you have been all over the place. That's awesome!!

I came to the UP cause this is where I wanted to be and stayed. Not working in the woods now, but it was my vehicle to get here and establish. And now that I have a family, it's nice to have a job that I don't love, I am more efficient at tasks I want to be done with, gives me more time with the wife and kids.
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:17 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:00 am

I love this bar.
I thought about getting korkers when I was logging, but I was in and out of equipment a bunch as well as out felling, limbing, and bucking.

Nothing slipperier on cold iron than more cold iron.

Dove, man, you have been all over the place. That's awesome!!

I came to the UP cause this is where I wanted to be and stayed. Not working in the woods now, but it was my vehicle to get here and establish. And now that I have a family, it's nice to have a job that I don't love, I am more efficient at tasks I want to be done with, gives me more time with the wife and kids.
You can't wear caulks if you're in the cab of anything. They're only good on dirt and wood. I think you've grasped the good/bad of woodswork: it's a hell of an office but it's a relationship killer for any man who wants kids and a traditional family life. It couldn't have been any woman in the world but the one I married who went on the journey with me. If I had had jobs that most men do I'd have put a bullet in my brain pan a long time ago.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law