Game #28 vs Colorado

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

U.P. Zona Fan

Re: Game #28 vs Colorado

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

There seemed to be a lot of miscues in the beginning when Kerr picked up turnovers, those early ones might not be all on him.

A few times he drove in a bit too deep to pull up and had to pass out, last couple games he's been putting up floaters, not so this game.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:48 pm There seemed to be a lot of miscues in the beginning when Kerr picked up turnovers, those early ones might not be all on him.

A few times he drove in a bit too deep to pull up and had to pass out, last couple games he's been putting up floaters, not so this game.
It makes me wonder what Tommy's plan for Kerr's head is. Does coach try to lead Kriisa in a psychological game or just pure Xs and Os within the original gameplan? You would think that if Kerr would do more pullup Js, floaters, and layup/foul hunts it would complicate opponent responses and lead to better passing opportunities for him, so getting him into the head space to set that up would be beneficial. But to do so he'd have to put himself into the position to create those opportunities by consistently looking to do an offsetting thing. That takes a change in mindset, and while there's some evidence of that lately and intermittently, it seems like something a coach would want much more of.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:44 pm Any thoughts on Kriisa's performance? I couldn't watch the game, but on paper, this looks like the trend. He plays out of his mind one night and then goes 2-7 with 4 TOs the next. When our other guards put up solid numbers, it makes Kriisa's inconsistency less of a factor. But can we survive a bad game from him in the NCAA tourney? How about in two weeks in L.A.?
Kerr competently ran the offense throughout the game. A few TO's, a couple of key threes, some of his best defense.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Kerr was out of sync with the team early on (seems like everyone was) but was very good after that
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

40 Minute "Bird Scores" for Colorado game:
34 Ballo
21 Larsson
13 Boswell
13 Tubelis
12 Henderson
10 Ramey
-1 Krissa
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tubelis had the only negative +/- at -10.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Not a great game for Kerr. Kerr makes me nervous as hell when the other team is pressing. I wish CTL would bring in Boswell for end of games. Kerr did do well letting the game come to him and made good shot selection hitting some nice 3's. Was only 2 for 7 for 6 points, missing all of his 2 point shots. He was very locked in on D as pc in NM said. I love seeing him take his defense serious. Assist to turnover was an abysmal 2 to 4 though

Amazing stat line of the night:

Pella: 1 for 2 for 11 points, 5 rebs, 5 assists & 0 to's

Pella was driving to the bucket and getting fouled. For a guy who took so much flak early on he is really hitting his stride
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Kriisa played lights out defense on KJ Simpson, harassing him into turnovers and tough shots. I thought that was the key to the comeback in the first half. Colorado had a bunch of empty trips in the second 10 minutes.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

And he caused a few travels too. And while he did not have his usual high assist total he did a great job running the offense after the first 5 minutes.

People who just look at stats do a disservice to a players overall impact on the game. You hear both CTL and Adia talk about this all the time.

He didn’t have a great game but anyone saying he had a bad game is clueless about basketball.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

gouacats wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:37 pm Anyone have a link to the Boswell dunk? Missed it!
1:16