Game #29 vs Arizona State

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

AZCatGirl

Re: Game #29 vs Arizona State

Post by AZCatGirl »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:38 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:35 pm Hopefully this loss will pay dividends in the tournament. Or maybe even next week.
The “dividends”

#3, or lower seed in NCAA’s

Playing in East Butfuck, if we make it past first weekend

Saved Bobby Hurley’s job
We wont be lower than a 3, we never play well in the West, and how is there a downside to saving Hurley's job?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:45 pm
pc in NM wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:38 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:35 pm Hopefully this loss will pay dividends in the tournament. Or maybe even next week.
The “dividends”

#3, or lower seed in NCAA’s

Playing in East Butfuck, if we make it past first weekend

Saved Bobby Hurley’s job
We wont be lower than a 3, we never play well in the West, and how is there a downside to saving Hurley's job?
Once they lose the next two, and bow out in the first round of the PAC tournament they may be a 4
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

We’ll be fine guys…

When all is said and done, we’ll be a 2 seed that nobody wants to play.

Now we just need to beat USC/UCLA and send them to the BIG 10.

Oh …. And win the pac 12 tourney.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

*remembers a certain game vs. USC*
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

g32knights wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:49 pm Once they lose the next two, and bow out in the first round of the PAC tournament they may be a 4
So instead of bouncing back from a loss like we always do we'll get swept because...?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I predicted these would be our hardest 3 game stretch of the season. We are facing two desperate teams (ASU and USC) trying to make the tournament and UCLA the leader in the conference. Frankly ASU style (if you can call it that) has often given Arizona problems. We have two games left and that will determine where we end up in conference.

We could lose the next 2 but that would not be our pattern but we are playing the top 3 teams in the conference with the final two on the road. We didn't play our best defensively and our free throw shooting was not good. Not sure what has happened to Pelle's ft stroke the last 3 games but he was shooting 95% and I bet it is now closer to 83 percent. That is a hell of a drop in 3 games.

Hopefully we learned a lesson but if it takes a 60 foot shot to beat us the next two games I will sign up now.

I also thought that when we went back to 2 bigs with a 3:30-4:00 left it allowed ASU to move the ball more effectively for open shots on the 3 line.

I love the way this team plays basketball. Offensively we certainly played well enough to win but we just let the Devil's hang around and it cost us dearly. Learn from it. Move on and I hope we have another shot at them in the tourney.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

There was a lot of bad decision-making after we got up by 10. Rushed shots, jacking up 3s when we should have been going inside, against Washington, who had 4 fouls. It was like everyone was playing hero ball, run down, jack up a 3, make it and the crowd goes wild. Except when they didn't make those jacked-up shots, it let ASU back in the game. And yeah, missed free throws, the bane of our existence.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Like someone noted, maybe Ballo did intend to miss and made it. Seen that many times.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Usually after a loss I'm upset but this team is such a joy to watch. I think Tommy did the right thing by starting the two senior role players. It will mean more to them in the future then any of us know. It also means more to their teammates to see these guys get some rewards for their hard work.

We had a huge recruit at this game. Hopefully he saw the complete McKale experience and find it to his liking.

Hopeful the next two games are as exciting as this one and that the PAC tourney is a great one for us.
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

TheCat wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:24 pm Usually after a loss I'm upset but this team is such a joy to watch. I think Tommy did the right thing by starting the two senior role players. It will mean more to them in the future then any of us know. It also means more to their teammates to see these guys get some rewards for their hard work.

We had a huge recruit at this game. Hopefully he saw the complete McKale experience and find it to his liking.

Hopeful the next two games are as exciting as this one and that the PAC tourney is a great one for us.
Wonderfully said!
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

What Tommy Lloyd and Courtney Ramey said after Arizona’s loss to ASU

Lloyd on his overall takeaway from the game: “I’ll tell you what that was a heck of a game. A tremendous college basketball game. We’re not hanging our heads at all. Obviously we’d like to win. Listen, if you’re playing a tough game and they have to hit a 60-footer to beat you, you’re probably taking that on most days. All in all, I thought there was a lot of great moments and obviously, I wish we would have played maybe better defensively earlier in the game. It happened, and I thought we had a lot of clutch plays on offense and defense down the stretch that we’ll learn from. I’m ready. I’m already moved on and looking forward to practice on Monday.”
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... a-loss-asu
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:24 pm Larrson clanking 2 FTs can't be a good sign
Called it right here. Team lost in the first few minutes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Guys, should the game even be that close, though? Are we the #7 team in the country playing our own court or not?
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:25 am Guys, should the game even be that close, though? Are we the #7 team in the country playing our own court or not?
You can make that argument. But ASu is a bubble team. We're not talking CAL. And the way ASu plays, if they get hot from the outside, they are capable of beating anyone.

We also didn't play our best. Too many missed FTs. Too many offensive rebounds that ASu got, and lax defensive effort. Still almost enough to beat them on a night they shot 54% from the field, and 39% from 3.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:08 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:25 am Guys, should the game even be that close, though? Are we the #7 team in the country playing our own court or not?
You can make that argument. But ASu is a bubble team. We're not talking CAL. And the way ASu plays, if they get hot from the outside, they are capable of beating anyone.

We also didn't play our best. Too many missed FTs. Too many offensive rebounds that ASu got, and lax defensive effort. Still almost enough to beat them on a night they shot 54% from the field, and 39% from 3.
Sure, but this game was at McKale. On Senior Day. There's no way we can lose to ASU in this situation. Jason Scheer said it's the worst loss of the Lloyd era, and I agree.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:35 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:08 pm

Sure, but this game was at McKale. On Senior Day. There's no way we can lose to ASU in this situation. Jason Scheer said it's the worst loss of the Lloyd era, and I agree.
He was being sarcastic. Losing on a one in a million shot isn't a big deal.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

We missed ft's, the kid made a 1% shot. It happens, sometimes the ball
bounces that way. So it goes.

Not to mention, we p..ssed away a 10 point lead with 7 mins to play. :P
Dave

Post by Dave »

Comparing losses like WSU vs ASU is like comparing a kick to the face vs a shot to the nuts. Both are extremely painful! This team really lacks a killer instinct. The number of 10-20 pt leads this team has given up is a very large number. Our early success has lead to us being overrated most of the season. In a normal basketball season we would have taken a beating in the rankings for one of these bad losses.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Dave I would normally agree but we will have beaten four of the teams in the top 16. I do think we are overrated (15-20) and we certainly have lost games we should not have but so has Kansas and Alabama and Purdue etc.. If we had controlled our home court we would be right there. One bad game and a miracle shot were damaging. I think this team is the definition of playing to the level of your opponent.

Regardless of record which is great considering what we lost (imagine having Benn, Dalen, and Koloko for this year and next). No one in the country lost as much as us but that is why you get paid a lot of money as a college coach to figure it out. There are no excuses but I think those circumstances matter in some ways.

I like our style of play, I liked that Tommy started walk-ons for the ASU game and I like that he does not live and die with every game or play. Listen you could be Kentucky, UNC, or some other team that was deemed to be great before the season started. We are a flawed team that we all hope catches fire in the tournament. I for one am looking forward to it and I always hope for positive results.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

84Cat wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:04 am
Merkin wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:24 pm Larrson clanking 2 FTs can't be a good sign
Hey, stop calling out losses in the first few minutes of the game, the universe can hear you.
:D

When crap like that happens from now on I'm just gonna start calling out a win.

Still optimistic about this team.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:54 pm
84Cat wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:04 am
Hey, stop calling out losses in the first few minutes of the game, the universe can hear you.
:D

When crap like that happens from now on I'm just gonna start calling out a win.

Still optimistic about this team.
Merk was just tossing out the reverse jinx.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law