Middle of June road trip.

If you stayed, ate, or excursioned say it here.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

Middle of June road trip.

Post by Carcassdragger »

Getting pumped about taking some time off work, loading up the camper and taking off for about 9 days. Thinking if revisiting a few spots in SE Utah than maybe cruising around Rocky Mountain National Park. Never been there.

Tips and thoughts appreciated.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UAEebs86

Re: Middle of June road trip.

Post by UAEebs86 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:56 pm Getting pumped about taking some time off work, loading up the camper and taking off for about 9 days. Thinking if revisiting a few spots in SE Utah than maybe cruising around Rocky Mountain National Park. Never been there.

Tips and thoughts appreciated.
We just hit SW Utah (Zion, Bryce, Snow Canyon SP) and also Antelope Canyon on the way up - all were awesome. Just got my Big 5 Utah NP badge.

If you are farther east, Monument Valley is awesome and further north Capital Reef/Arches/Canyonlands NPs and Moab are cool too. SW Colorado - Durango, Pagosa Springs, Ouray, and Telluride are nice. The railroad from Durango to Silverton is popular.

RMNP is great too - hit Estes Park while you're there. Elk roaming the street and the hotel from The Shining.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

You could come out of SE Utah and hit Telluride and Ouray on the way to RMNP, but you'll be burning fossil fuels to do it. I don't have recommendations of things to do other than just to see those two stunning places. After the Mars-like landscapes of SE Utah it's great to head up to high elevation mixed conifer/Aspen and see those vertigo-inducing rock forms. There's probably not enough time to swing down and see Chaco Canyon and Canyon De Chelly, besides, they're kind of cut off from everything, and Chaco can be a bitch to get to in bad weather. Be real thorough making sure your rig can manage the route. Never been to RMNP.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

We were in RMNP during buggeling season. I think it was in September. That was pretty cool. The elk came to within 50 feet of us and the Rangers were pushing us back. One bull left with the entire herd. We kind of felt bad for the other bull but that's nature in action
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I've done the summer Colorado road trip- love the Durango / Ouray, Silverton area
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Can't go wrong with that trip. RMNP is probably my favorite NP.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Appreciate the input and thanks! I've done the Durango-Silvetyon Ouray-Telluride loop and it was great! Definitely recommend it, but want to go further in Colorado this time.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion