Take Me to the Hot Spots

If you stayed, ate, or excursioned say it here.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Take Me to the Hot Spots

Post by azgreg »

Going through TSA is a blast.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:59 am Going through TSA is a blast.
Good luck with the cavity search.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:03 am
"Well?? .... read the card Bitch!!"
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I remember tsa in Germany was the most thorough I've ever been searched. We asked why and they said they were just following U.S. guidelines.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Security at Ben Gurion in the mid 80s was memorable. I fantasized a strip search by those hot Israeli women. Reow.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:03 am
It was an upcharge.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bayeux is a neat little town.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Poutine sucks.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The France trip was awesome. I'll get the pics organized and post them later, but here's a teaser phots featuring Mrs azgreg.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Next up: Mesa Verde.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Heading to Mesa Verde National Park and Durango next month (20th through the 24th).
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:26 pm Heading to Mesa Verde National Park and Durango next month (20th through the 24th).
My mom lives in Pagosa Springs outside Durango. I wanted you to know that. I don't know why.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I'd definitely like to know more about Mesa Verde.

Is it too hot to camp nearby in the summer. Campgrounds have showers? Good hiking? Other stuff to see nearby?
Last edited by Carcassdragger on Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:01 pm I'd definitely like to know norepinephrine about Mesa Verde.

Is it too hot to camp nearby in the summer. Campgrounds have showers? Good hiking? Other stuff to see nearby?
It's going to be warmer than we want. When I made all the reservations the forecast was for about 10-15 degrees cooler than the current forecast.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azgreg wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:53 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:01 pm I'd definitely like to know norepinephrine about Mesa Verde.

It's going to be warmer than we want. When I made all the reservations the forecast was for about 10-15 degrees cooler than the current forecast.
Wow. Spell correct. Sorry.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Heading out now. Can't wait to get there.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My 7:30 pm train Tucson-LA is 3.5 hours delayed, of course.

Perfect. Now we're arriving at 7:30 am.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:27 pm My 7:30 pm train Tucson-LA is 3.5 hours delayed, of course.

Perfect. Now we're arriving at 7:30 am.
Don't worry - they'll make up for it with crappy food and smelly passengers.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay it's almost 8 am and we're stuck behind two more freight trains before we even get to Palm Springs. Nice to be paying $900 for Disneyland tickets and hoping to spend 2 hours there before the park closes tonight.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

But you're not in downtown Spokane, so there's that.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pics from my train trip this past weekend.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I guess for me Disneyland and California Adventure Park fit in that category of Strange Choices People Make.

Also, why do people get into the movies in the Marvel Universe when they can just watch basketball instead?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Going to Italy in a few weeks, stopping in Venice, Florence, Amalfi (Praiano specifically), Palermo and Puglia. I've never been to Italy so any tips or recommendations from those who have would be appreciated!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Eat to your hearts content. The food there is not like any “Italian Food” you have ever had. Remember, dinner will sometimes include secondi which means a second plate. First plate is pasta and the second is a meat or fish. Allocate at least 3 hours for dinner as it’s an experience. Lol.

My mom was from Rome so used to go visit every 4 years. I prefer Positano to Priano but that’s me. Amalfi coast is amazing.

Yes visit the tourist spots but your memories will be more about the people you interact with. They are crazy but exciting and full of life. Open up to them and soak in their “work to live, not live to work” attitude.

Oh and have gelato every fucking chance you can.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:30 am Going to Italy in a few weeks, stopping in Venice, Florence, Amalfi (Praiano specifically), Palermo and Puglia. I've never been to Italy so any tips or recommendations from those who have would be appreciated!
That's enough for a month! Hell, Rome itself deserves a month year after year.
Last edited by dovecanyoncat on Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:34 am Eat to your hearts content. The food there is not like any “Italian Food” you have ever had. Remember, dinner will sometimes include secondi which means a second plate. First plate is pasta and the second is a meat or fish. Allocate at least 3 hours for dinner as it’s an experience. Lol.

My mom was from Rome so used to go visit every 4 years. I prefer Positano to Priano but that’s me. Amalfi coast is amazing.

Yes visit the tourist spots but your memories will be more about the people you interact with. They are crazy but exciting and full of life. Open up to them and soak in their “work to live, not live to work” attitude.

I concur re: Positano. I was first there in the early 60s when quite young. It's a mythical memory anchor that will never lose hold.

What do I have to do to have had a Roman mother! Trade my brother? Give up my first girlfriend? Name it!

~ Wilhoit's Law
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Positano was my first choice but due to the late decision to go there, there was no availability there. Hoping we can make it over there or Capri for a day trip while we are staying in Priano.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:25 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:30 am Going to Italy in a few weeks, stopping in Venice, Florence, Amalfi (Praiano specifically), Palermo and Puglia. I've never been to Italy so any tips or recommendations from those who have would be appreciated!
That's enough for a month! Hell, Rome itself deserves a month year after year.
Agree 100%. Italy has some amazing places but Rome is and always has been the epicenter. Still have 2 cousins living there and evry time I go back (now it's a much longer stretch between trips) we have a blast.

My Grandparents lived right around the corner from Piazza Navona.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 am Positano was my first choice but due to the late decision to go there, there was no availability there. Hoping we can make it over there or Capri for a day trip while we are staying in Priano.
Don't get my wrong Priano is also cool (I went backpacking through there in '85 during ECC's "run with bulls" tour) but Positano does it for me a little more, How they built those darn houses up that mountainside still astounds me. One thing you can say about Italians - when they build something, they build it to last. :lol:

Oh and my parents honeymooned in Positano so another reason why I connect with that town a little more.

Capri - yes, also something to schedule.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:38 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:34 am Eat to your hearts content. The food there is not like any “Italian Food” you have ever had. Remember, dinner will sometimes include secondi which means a second plate. First plate is pasta and the second is a meat or fish. Allocate at least 3 hours for dinner as it’s an experience. Lol.

I concur re: Positano. I was first there in the early 60s when quite young. It's a mythical memory anchor that will never lose hold.

What do I have to do to have had a Roman mother! Trade my brother? Give up my first girlfriend? Name it!
Dove - she was the best god rest her soul. The passion that Italians have to me is unmatched. She also became a huge sports fan and loved the Lakers. She also rooted for Arizona as hard as any alum. I might be repeating myself but she was so mad when Larry Smith bolted to USC, she wrote a scathing letter to the LA Times saying what a traitor he was and that Arizona was on the brink of something special (and getting to their first Rose Bowl) and that he should be ashamed of himself for letting down all of the fans that supported him. I found that letter when I cleaned out our house a few years back.
Mama ECC was one of a kind...
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

100% agree about Positano. Took a tour along the Amalfi Coast and we stopped at a restaurant our guide recommended. Overlooked the Coast and the food was amazing. Started the group off with margherita pizza. And then just kept bringing them out for as long as we wanted it. Then the next course was manicotti, shells, and pasta. And then fruit topped with gelato for dessert.

The most common pasta in the US is Barelli I believe. We were told that's their very worst pasta in Italy.

Planning on heading back in a couple years but going to Tuscany and spend all our time drinking wine.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

On Oct 10th we'll be in DC. We booked a room at the Wyndam Hotel over a month ago. We found out today that some government agency booked the entire hotel from Oct 1st thru March 23rd. Us along with a ton of other people are out of luck.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:19 am On Oct 10th we'll be in DC. We booked a room at the Wyndam Hotel over a month ago. We found out today that some government agency booked the entire hotel from Oct 1st thru March 23rd. Us along with a ton of other people are out of luck.
Is the Trump Hotel available?
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:28 am
azgreg wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:19 am On Oct 10th we'll be in DC. We booked a room at the Wyndam Hotel over a month ago. We found out today that some government agency booked the entire hotel from Oct 1st thru March 23rd. Us along with a ton of other people are out of luck.
Is the Trump Hotel available?
Didn't try. My browser won't navigate there. We just booked another room at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. Fancy looking place. Includes fluffy robes.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

DC is fantastic. Ever been?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Carcassdragger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:34 pm
DC is fantastic. Ever been?
First time. It's part of a big east coast swing. Start in Ashburn, VA to visit my wife's best friend then DC, Philly, Boston (Salem), then New York.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Too much to say and recommend for this space but for me, seeing the Apollo space suits with moon dust still on them and touching a moon rock are musts.

Other highlights: a segueway tour; visiting the Capitol while congress is in session (if a flag is flying over the chamber, they are in session and you can observe-even after visiting hours); the hat Lincoln wore to Ford Theater; Tomb of the Unknown at Arlington; the Lincoln Monument and reading those magnificent words he spoke at Gettysburgh; the National Archives ( a highlight of highlights).

Just so much. Have a great time.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Back at the gate to repair a circuit breaker. Awesome.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

There’s now only 3 Vermeers at the National Gallery in DC…

https://www.wsj.com/articles/theres-one ... 1665179093

Only 35 left.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

And now another technical issue for our flight to DC
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:29 am And now another technical issue for our flight to DC
What airline?
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

United
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So, the flight was delayed, then they had to get another plane. They changed our gate, then 5 minutes later changed it back and delayed the flight another hour.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Now they changed the gate again.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

And now another 20 delay
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

And now there's an electrical issue with the new plane
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Now we got a meal voucher. We were supposed to take off at 10:15
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

And now another plane and back to the original gate. Probably the original plane
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Another delay until 3:00