Take Me to the Hot Spots

If you stayed, ate, or excursioned say it here.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Take Me to the Hot Spots

Post by Chicat »

Hold tight guys, The Professor may want to expose his kid to rednecks. Like going into the Reptile House at the zoo. Sure it will smell terrible and fill you with abject terror, but you learn so much about the slithering scaly creatures!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks! Planned Memorial Day week too late
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:13 pm Thanks! Planned Memorial Day week too late
What's your take on meth labs?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I know Flagstaff and Oak Creek Canyon well. But Payson is like Arkansas, and all the holiday visitors seem like they're from Goodyear and Gila Bend and Eloy and the dog track at Black Canyon City. And yeah, ASU shirts are everywhere.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:09 pm
Longhorned wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:04 pm Yeah but if I'm with a 5 year old and can't hike, is this place for rednecks?
If you're not hiking I can't think of a single reason to go to Payson.
Someone named Longhorned might be a closet shit-kicker, and Payson does have the world's oldest continuous rodeo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payson%2C_Arizona

Yippee Ki-Yay Motherfucker!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:22 pm Payson is like Arkansas ....
Post some pics of the 2021 Possum Festival Beauty Queen.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:57 pm
Longhorned wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:22 pm Payson is like Arkansas ....
Post some pics of the 2021 Possum Festival Beauty Queen.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Our parents had a place 45 mins up the road in Heber/Overgaard for 20 years. Loved summers up there as a kid.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:04 pm Our parents had a place 45 mins up the road in Heber/Overgaard for 20 years. Loved summers up there as a kid.
We're nearly there. In a cabin off the Christopher Creek Loop, about a half hour from Payson.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:04 am Taking the family to the Smoky Mountains in early June. The wife and I haven't really been anywhere on vacation since mid-2019, and nowhere with the kids since January 2019.

Gonna do some hiking, maybe some ziplining, and hit up Dollywood.
So far I would describe this trip as .... “a hoot”.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I can't wait to hear about Dollywood.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:07 am I can't wait to hear about Dollywood.
Probably not going to happen. It’s been really rainy and the last thing we want to do is spend $250 to stand in line, get soaked by the rain, and then have rides shut down due to lightning.

Next trip we will go for sure. But there’s been a ton to do. I don’t think the kids will even care if we skip the amusement park. Between the mountain coasters, ziplining, hiking, swimming, and all the fun indoor stuff (aquarium, go karts, arcades, etc) and crazy amounts of sugar they’ve been eating, they are in pig heaven.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:45 am
Longhorned wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:07 am I can't wait to hear about Dollywood.
Probably not going to happen. It’s been really rainy and the last thing we want to do is spend $250 to stand in line, get soaked by the rain, and then have rides shut down due to lightning.

Next trip we will go for sure. But there’s been a ton to do. I don’t think the kids will even care if we skip the amusement park. Between the mountain coasters, ziplining, hiking, swimming, and all the fun indoor stuff (aquarium, go karts, arcades, etc) and crazy amounts of sugar they’ve been eating, they are in pig heaven.
Sounds like fun Chi. I haven't been but heard it's a great place for the family - lot's to do.

Smoky Mountains is one of the beautiful spots in the U.S.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It’s pretty great, although you coastal elitists might be shocked by the way people think and what they say here in The Real America. ;)
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:47 am It’s pretty great, although you coastal elitists might be shocked by the way people think and what they say here in The Real America. ;)
Getting some southern hospitality down there, Chi? ;)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:12 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:47 am It’s pretty great, although you coastal elitists might be shocked by the way people think and what they say here in The Real America. ;)
It’s been a wonderful glimpse into an alternate universe.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:42 am
In Payson, I enjoyed always being the slenderest guy in the room. Maybe you can enjoy being the guy with the most impressive threads.

"Is that a TV star, daddy?"

"Maybe. He dresses like they dress when they're on vacation."
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:13 pm
In Payson, I enjoyed always being the slenderest guy in the room. Maybe you can enjoy being the guy with the most impressive threads.

"Is that a TV star, daddy?"

"Maybe. He dresses like they dress when they're on vacation."
There are quite a few things that show I’m an outsider. Mostly it’s a difference of beliefs.

I believe in sleeves.

I believe t-shirts should cover your fupa.

I believe shirts that show Calvin feeling up the mud flap lady shouldn’t be worn in the kiddie pool.

I believe declaring your patriotism by displaying the flag of the people who hated America so much they wanted to be a completely different country is asinine.

I believe that when you spill gravy or cheese sauce on yourself, you shouldn’t put the same clothes right back on the next day without maybe washing them first.

I believe women should reapply lipstick AFTER spitting out their wad of chaw.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fashion!!! Real America!!!

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

JFC
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

good lord
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hey, at least they left their white hoods at home. Clearly these are moderate swing voters. We're heading into Oklahoma tomorrow and then on to ground zero for the Arkansas klan. It all goes downhill from here.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

These are the people we need to find middle ground with... bipartisanship!
Osborn

Post by Osborn »

My contact with "real" Americans and "patriots" happens in the summer when we drive from AZ to MN for a family get-together in Detroit Lakes MN. We choose a different route each year and pull the camper, take our time, and see several state or national parks. It's a great family trip and I look forward to the drive and adventure but it takes us deep into and through red-state strongholds. Last year was special, however. Due to the election year, the red states are now former guy states. We pulled into the lake community close to my inlaw's place and some jackass had spray-painted his garage wall, facing the road, "Build the Wall!!" Then, some 15-16 yr old was driving around the lake in a side-by-side with dual loser flags, i.e., Confederate and Trump flags. It will be interesting to see what has changed from last year. Being Hispanic, experiencing the midwest during the summer and 4th of July is a blast, but it's also a cultural and political adventure.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just took my kids to Meow Wolf in Denver.

Such a crazy cool experience. To try and describe it would be futile and insulting.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

My girlfriend went to the one in Vegas with her cousin and as much as she tried to explain it to me I couldn't fully understand it
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:16 pm Just took my kids to Meow Wolf in Denver.

Such a crazy cool experience. To try and describe it would be futile and insulting.
I've been to the one in Las Vegas. There's no way to really describe it. I've tried telling people it's sensory overload, but that's about the best I can do.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My wife wants to go to Paris at the end of March.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Parisians spit a lot I hear.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here's a link to the Airbnb we're staying in during part of our trip.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6825108?c= ... N3CxmMc4Bg
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Going to tour Normandy?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:25 am Going to tour Normandy?
Yep, can't wait.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We are in the midst of a 4 day “staycation” in Chicago and contrary to dmjcat’s assertion that most tourists are carjacked and murdered within minutes of entering the Chicago city limits we are having the greatest time.

If you’ve never been here, you owe it to yourself to come. Except for dmjcat. He’s not welcome.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I went to conferences in Chicago in 2018 and 2019 that I largely skipped to see the city. Loved every second of it. Chicago in late September is a dream. Slight chance I'll get to go again this year.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Went to Parker/Lake Havasu this weekend. Spent Saturday night in the Island Inn in Havasu. This place sets the standard for shitty hotels. It had all the ambiance of a converted hospital. Pure garbage.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azgreg wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:29 am Went to Parker/Lake Havasu this weekend. Spent Saturday night in the Island Inn in Havasu. This place sets the standard for shitty hotels. It had all the ambiance of a converted hospital. Pure garbage.
Is spring break going on? What did you do while you were there?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Carcassdragger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:54 am
azgreg wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:29 am Went to Parker/Lake Havasu this weekend. Spent Saturday night in the Island Inn in Havasu. This place sets the standard for shitty hotels. It had all the ambiance of a converted hospital. Pure garbage.
Is spring break going on? What did you do while you were there?
Not spring break but the area was packed. I was in the area for a golf tournament at Emerald Canyon Golf Course in Parker.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Played one of the first rounds on that course when it opened. The first head pro was a friend of mine. Great course actually.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So a hot spot for bedbugs. Noted…
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:34 pm My wife wants to go to Paris at the end of March.
A few more days then wheels up. Not looking forward to the flight.

4.5 hour flight to Montreal
5.5 hour layover in Montreal
6.5 hour flight to Paris
4.5 hour period in Paris
3 hour train ride to Bayeax, Normandy

It's going to be a long day.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’d love a long layover in Montreal. Get out and see the city even for an hour if you can.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’ve done the city trains in reverse once going to CDG. You’ll have to go to terminal 2 and take the RER B to Gare du Nord. Walk to Magenta, take RER to Haussmann-San Lazare, walk to Gare San Lazare to catch TER.

Easy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:35 am
azgreg wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:34 pm My wife wants to go to Paris at the end of March.
A few more days then wheels up. Not looking forward to the flight.

4.5 hour flight to Montreal
5.5 hour layover in Montreal
6.5 hour flight to Paris
4.5 hour period in Paris
3 hour train ride to Bayeax, Normandy

It's going to be a long day.
I don't see the problem. You'll literally be drunk the whole time.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chi, we can't leave the international terminal in Montreal.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:54 pm Chi, we can't leave the international terminal in Montreal.
Eww… well, there’s always Duty Free.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Three of the 5 and a half hours will be spent in the executive lounge which costs $40 ea. includes unlimited WIFI, food, and drinks (as long as we get drunk).

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The current food menu:

Available from 12pm until close

Cycle 1

Butter Chicken Served with White Rice

Montreal Style Poutine - With bacon

Penne Primavera

Grilled Chicken Cesar Salad

Cycle 2

Chicken Cacciatore served with Griot Potatoes