Yellowstone

If you stayed, ate, or excursioned say it here.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Yellowstone

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beginning to plan our trip back to California and thinking of doing a few days in Yellowstone.

Tips? We like the hike, but likely with settle for day trips/walks with the 10mo in a backpack.

Thoughts on Old Faithful Inn vs Old Faithful lodge? Any other suggestions for lodging or seeing animals?

Cheers,
CST
azcat49

Re: Yellowstone

Post by azcat49 »

The place I most want to go at this point of my life. I thought the Grand Teton in Jackson Hole were just breathtaking and Yellowstone has to be very special.

Looking forward to those commenting that are in the know and quite envious of CST
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Better go before this happens.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:The place I most want to go at this point of my life. I thought the Grand Teton in Jackson Hole were just breathtaking and Yellowstone has to be very special.

Looking forward to those commenting that are in the know and quite envious of CST
Thanks J...I'll post pictures for sure. The Grand Tetons are another on my National Parks list.

So its crazy...everything in the park is booked already! I called and was able to get one of the last two for the dates in question and placed my reservation. We are staying at the Roosevelt Lodge.

Open to any suggestions.
beames

Post by beames »

I don't recall the actual location, but I stayed in Yellowstone about a decade ago. This property in particular had a nice lodge, but also many cabins. Because I just showed up without any reservations I ended up in a cabin duplex thing for like $100 a night. It was a dump, and like so many other structures in the western national park system, I believe it was simply old CCC housing. It didn't matter. You know that 20-something that goes to Vegas and justifies staying in squalor at Flamingo because they'll "never be in the room"? Well, Yellowstone is nature's version of Vegas. Impressive is not the right word... Alaska, that place is impressive, but Yellowstone is something else. You are sitting on a very active volcano, and this permeates every inch of the park. It's the most awe-inspiring nature in north America (though I haven't been to the Canadian Rockies so I will leave the debate open) and probably the world.
My concern for you is having a young child. The park is extensive and requires several days. You will be stopping constantly, both to get out and see sights, but also just because 30 cars ahead of you stopped to look at deer or wait for buffalo to get off the road. If you find yourself strapped for time, watch Old Faithful on YouTube and instead enjoy Mammoth hot springs or Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone in person, and make mental notes for your return when your child is older and you can enjoy the park in full! In my opinion, the Grand Tetons are a big letdown after seeing Yellowstone (not their fault) so hopefully you're going thru Jackson Hole before you get to the main attraction. It's like one of those situations where sister #1 is a cute actress, but then sister #2, who is a couple years younger, comes along and becomes a Victoria's Secret model. It's just not fair. Anyway, I'm jealous you'll be heading up that way. On a personal note, every year come winter I start pumping up the wife to help me plan one of my top 3 bucket list items: Yellowstone in winter, complete with snowmobile, hot tub and the park almost to yourself! Unfortunately she's from Pittsburgh and knows how shitty a winter like that can be, so I'm definitely fighting a losing battle.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azcat49 wrote:The place I most want to go at this point of my life. I thought the Grand Teton in Jackson Hole were just breathtaking and Yellowstone has to be very special.

Thanks J...I'll post pictures for sure. The Grand Tetons are another on my National Parks list.

So its crazy...everything in the park is booked already! I called and was able to get one of the last two for the dates in question and placed my reservation. We are staying at the Roosevelt Lodge.

Open to any suggestions.
Tower Falls
The shore of Yellowstone Lake where it shows pretty dramatically how the land is rising and falling due to the super volcano
Forgot the name of the mudpot that was so impressive
Old Faithful of course

Some of the interesting stuff is pretty remote and might not be terribly accessible if you only have a couple of days to spend there. I could easily go back for three weeks. Haven't been in decades.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:Better go before this happens.

Or get confused and go to Jellystone. I did that, and the bears really don't have boundaries there.